Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

CountDrac posted:

When I think of spacegames the first thing that comes to mind is prison gameplay. Who would want to explore different star systems with your purchased space jpgs? That stuff is for weirdos and losers!

:same:

Honestly if a game doesn't force-lock me into a room for at least 2 hours every other play session, I feel kind of ripped off really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
You know, ESO has a great crime system, and it took them a long time to iterate on it to get it where it is now. It includes wanted levels that determine how aggressively you're pursued, including being so bad guards will kill on sight, a dynamic bounty and heat level that rises and falls based on the crime and whether it was even witnessed, a criminal underground where it's safe from the law and illegal goods can be sold, several ways to pay off your bounty, and the bounty itself just diminishing over time even if you log off. It's an entire mature fully-realized game system that enhances the game instead of feeling like a punishment. Get too high a bounty killing that guy in full view, or get caught trespassing? Go into the woods and run a dungeon or two while it wears off, or if it's already low, just avoid guards. Or sell the ill-gotten goods and pay the rest of the bounty. Did I mention there's an entire skill line you can advance that enhances the system even further, like allowing you to sell more illicit goods and reducing bounty payoff?

So it's not like CIG didn't have a perfect template to steal, which is odd because theft is Chris Roberts's primary and only skill and trade. Instead, in true CIG fashion, they release hot poo poo which represents nothing more than their inability to design something functional, and instead is barebones inept crap that serves no purpose.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
CIG's implementation of Jail reminds me of how it was handled in MUD door games in the BBS era.

Do bad thing -> build up bad points
Get enough bad points -> Teleported to Jail
Wait out Jail sentence as bad points tick down -> Released into world

I can't wait for them to move forward through the eras of game design, hopefully they can attach one game loop to each decade.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

While you’re locked in prison, an anthropomorphic bear NPC should come and shake you down for real world money.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

peter gabriel posted:

You get crime stats for literally no reason all the time in game, it's going to be a real high quality car crash this, I used to get crime stats for gently caress all all the time.
Then, go on a ramming spree and get nothing, it's classic CI¬G but now 6 hours of your time is at stake ha ha

What don't you get about this being alpha. The fun is testing the broken mechanics and getting crime stats for no reasons and ending up in ingame jail is actually emergent gameplay that is fidelitious with the experience of being a youth in the criminal urban environment: cops arrest you for no drat reason. This is why Chris Roberts is a game design genius. He's going as far as doing social commentary.

I've already had way more fun spending 10 hours of my realtime in ingame jail than playing any other AAA garbage that came out this year. Just for that, if SC never comes out, I already have had my money's worth of fun!

Megalobster fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 22, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo! Ahahaha

quote:

Sure you die from glitches and end up in jail. But you want to live the pirate life, then buck up and test the pirate life.

Cargo runners have been eating poo poo from 30ks for years now. But they keep going because it's good testing.

PVPers have been fighting desync since day one. But they keep going because it's good testing.

So pirates can be strong and go to jail for a while because the game hiccuped.

We all suffer in our own ways.

That's quite the argument. It's only fair for all to eat poo poo.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

Holy poo poo lmao. When they first started talking about mandatory prison sentences I remember people speculating on 20 minute sentences and laughing because even that would kill the game. loving 18 hours are you kidding me? Forty minutes of hand-mining rocks in a cave? Honestly I don't even have words for how funny this is, it's loving wild.

You know deep down... mission accomplished.

This is obviously a goon internal op where goons pass "bad ideas" to an innocent Chris and he doesn't catch them in time while he's making the perfect video game for children.

Once he realizes that he'd been bamboozled again by those crafty goons, he'll wisely turn down the punishment timer to something normal humans would tolerate in a video game. Like removing the concept of actually having a prison sentence.

But it will take time. CR is too smart for us and he's going to outwit those silly goons once again and their silly 18 hour prison sentences in a video game for children.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

Holy poo poo lmao. When they first started talking about mandatory prison sentences I remember people speculating on 20 minute sentences and laughing because even that would kill the game. loving 18 hours are you kidding me? Forty minutes of hand-mining rocks in a cave? Honestly I don't even have words for how funny this is, it's loving wild.

Nobody's gonna do the hand mining, the prison sentence will amount to however much time it takes for you to walk to the "Secret" exit. What are they gonna do, put in NPC guards to stop you? It'll just by another walking timer tacked on to a game that is nothing but walking timers.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

trucutru posted:

Holy poo poo! Ahahaha

It's our responsibility as testers! A status that we, uh, let me check my notes, paid hundreds to thousands of dollars for.

The Titanic posted:

Once he realizes that he'd been bamboozled again by those crafty goons, he'll wisely turn down the punishment timer to something normal humans would tolerate in a video game. Like removing the concept of actually having a prison sentence.

Or, more likely, everyone will avoid engaging with the system by next patch and it will be completely ignored by the devs and backers from then on out, progressively breaking more and more over time with minimal updates.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 22, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Don't worry pirates, there is but a single prison, with a single escape route that is always the same.

Here mate, have a handy guide arrr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Z1BRv1Cq0

(waiting for the "escape from prison" bot.)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Everyone knows if there's one kind of testing that can't be automated, it's doing literally nothing as a timer ticks down. The technical feedback CIG is getting from this is invaluable.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Quavers posted:

A look at the prison + presentation of its gameplay (10 min)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX0b1XBhuXg

Trying to escape illegaly from the prison (7min)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi7d1_ONaRo

Getting out of the prison with Merits (4min)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQJxyOuwBqw

Yep, that's dull.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

Holy poo poo! Ahahaha

Cargo runners have been eating poo poo from 30ks for years now. But they keep going because it's good testing.

Citizens' understanding of the concept of "Testing" mirrors Cave Johnson's from Portal 2.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Me, crashing to the same bug for the 500th time in 3 years, losing all progress: "Boy I'm really testing today!"

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I enjoy picturing an exasperated, sweaty Chris stumbling and stammering his way through the day, pants halfway down to his knees as he shuffles around the office with a cold cup of coffee spilling over the sides on the cup and running down his forearms because he forgot to put it down before waving his hands, forever trapped in a thick cognitive mist and vague awareness that at one point, he was making a space game. At one point, he had a few stolen ideas and he was going to get someone else to make something about those ideas, but that time has passed, and his entire existence now is an existential hell of making it through each day of poo poo concepts, poo poo ideas, and congealed failure at every turn, as his company shits out one horrible, broken thing after another, and all of it unquestionably caused by him yet none of it what he ever wanted, and no end in sight.

Welcome to purgatory, Chris.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

trucutru posted:

Don't worry pirates, there is but a single prison, with a single escape route that is always the same.

Here mate, have a handy guide arrr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Z1BRv1Cq0

(waiting for the "escape from prison" bot.)

Lol, according to the comments you can use global chat while in prison to ask people for help on how to escape

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol, according to the comments you can use global chat while in prison to ask people for help on how to escape

If the game could handle more commandos playing at the same time there would be a conga line in the secret tunnels.

Also: Platforming "puzzles" in my space game? It's more common than you think!

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

trucutru posted:

It's honestly a genius move by CIG and the whales will loving love it. Having other people be punished for attacking their chariots is like manna from heaven.

As an added bonus, it also means that the prison gameplay can be as boring and lovely as possible because it's supposed to be punishment.

It's win/win for CIG.

yeah cater to the whales (CRs vision) any they shower you with more money maybe that works.
lock the troublemakers away, even better on a dedicated “prison server“ so those freeloaders dont use the valuable bandwidth for the PU.

this could be win-win indeed.

but you know what would be totally awesome?
if the systems were in place so that all the rear admirals and wing commanders could form fractions in a persistent single-shard universe to defend themselves with all their massively overpowered machinery. like you would hope it to be in a wild west setting.

when i read that whale comment which was like “lock the griefers away!!“ i thought 'well that does not sound very heroic does it'
also it does not sound very ecxiting either. so we now have prison and insurrance...what a fantastic alternative reality!

i thought star citizens want to play heroes and villains? which is totally legit by the way.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just got an idea:

Prison Ships.

Basically, criminals are sent to your prison ship and then you set up the terms (and cost) for their release. You could even *ahem* do some enhanced interrogation on them, if you catch my drift. You can even force them to wear pink clothes and all that good poo poo.

That's a multi-million dollar idea CIG, hire me!

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Quavers posted:

:reddit: What a Crimestat3 looks like at Klescher: 5 - 6 hours realtime (~15 min of mining). Crimestat5: ~18 hours (~40 min mining). Your time's up, pad rammers and griefers.

:( Time's up for regular pirates too, I had no crime stat and tried the Caterpillar prisonners mission, get insta kill by desync npc guards, respawn in prison : 12 hours before release.

:cop:

:lol: that they think this isn't going to unleash a golden age of griefing. Now all you need to do is exploit a bug to get some rando a crime stat and not only do you blow up their ship (or whatever) now they need to go mine rocks for a quarter hour.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I really do like that CIG has acknowledged that their caves and personal mining "gameplay" is so un-fun that it's only useful as a punishment.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Viscous Soda posted:

:lol: that they think this isn't going to unleash a golden age of griefing. Now all you need to do is exploit a bug to get some rando a crime stat and not only do you blow up their ship (or whatever) now they need to go mine rocks for a quarter hour.

You can just play normally and steal someone's ship. You get crimestat, sure, but if they shoot you, they get one too, so they need to let you drive their space chariot until you're bored.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

No one paid CIG money for prison game, people paid them money SEVEN years ago for dlc internet spaceships that they still have not delivered on.

That's what's truly criminal and I hope will lead to Chris Roberts and friends getting a opportunity to experience some authentic prison time.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

I enjoy picturing an exasperated, sweaty Chris stumbling and stammering his way through the day, pants halfway down to his knees as he shuffles around the office with a cold cup of coffee spilling over the sides on the cup and running down his forearms because he forgot to put it down before waving his hands, forever trapped in a thick cognitive mist and vague awareness that at one point, he was making a space game. At one point, he had a few stolen ideas and he was going to get someone else to make something about those ideas, but that time has passed, and his entire existence now is an existential hell of making it through each day of poo poo concepts, poo poo ideas, and congealed failure at every turn, as his company shits out one horrible, broken thing after another, and all of it unquestionably caused by him yet none of it what he ever wanted, and no end in sight.

Welcome to purgatory, Chris.

This but with a hobo constantly trying to kissing his arse and suck his dick.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.dualthegame.com/en/news/2020/04/21/interview-with-hyperion-themis-4h-place-runner-up/

here is a cool interview with and org in dual universe.
i propose a drinking game: each time you stumble across a buzzword/feature which you know from the sc project you shall drink a schnaps.

tell me which words you spotted and how much schnaps you had to drink!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dooguk posted:

I was going to say they have the tools but not the pipelines. Then the video got to 2mins.

:vince:

Robzilla posted:

6 Years and I'm still happy about not spending one dime on this.

:same:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Why on earth would a barista need training in Jira? Are latte orders coming in via Jira issues?

Yeah, I can see Office experience being somewhat useful if you need to use something like Outlook and Excel or Word for orders, drink lists etc... but Jira? For a barrista? WHY?!? :confused:

Is it so the Crobear can track where his cup of coffee is so he can come in and micromanage it halfway through? That is why, isn't it? :psyduck:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sandweed posted:

I'm reading that it only counts down while you are inngame.

If this is true, I am all for this amazing gameplay loop.

In fact I think if you hit another prisoner while in prison it should add hours to your sentence. :allears:

If you don't mine rocks at a sufficient rate, you should be punished in additional ways too because this is space jail and things get real in space jail.

:allears:

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017
Surely the solution for dedicated Citizens will be to buy themselves out, paying off the "prison" "guards"?

With real cash. Bribery tokens, available from the CIG store soon ...

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Chris Robbers and his flunkies are tried and convicted of scamming. They're given a ten year sentence but can work to burn time off their sentence by playing Star Citizen.

h3isenbug
Jun 5, 2016

Right Meow!

fargom posted:

I can't wait for them to move forward through the eras of game design, hopefully they can attach one game loop to each decade.
You're innocent when you dream

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

While you’re locked in prison, an anthropomorphic bear NPC should come and shake you down for real world money.

That would actually be fun, which means it's completely out :(

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: French streamer just escaped from prison after 3hours in!

https://clips.twitch.tv/CuteCuriousWasabiPicoMause

A lot have found the way out from the prison. But this man is so happy to do it after so many trys in a painfull run, full of lags and desynch.
Until...
Btw, keep it up Hugo if you see this,it was a great moment to share :D

:sad:

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017
Saurus has spent the last couple of hours falling off rocks, ranting about the control.

Shame.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Quavers posted:

:reddit: French streamer just escaped from prison after 3hours in!

https://clips.twitch.tv/CuteCuriousWasabiPicoMause

A lot have found the way out from the prison. But this man is so happy to do it after so many trys in a painfull run, full of lags and desynch.
Until...
Btw, keep it up Hugo if you see this,it was a great moment to share :D

:sad:

It's amazing to picture all these people simultaneously pretending to be playing a game.

Star Citizen ladies and gentlemen.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

This is a little too close to reality here.

They may as well install an easy button that directly links your credit card on file to an in game button as a "bear breaks you out of jail!" action. :iiasb:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Titanic posted:

*she goes back to playing Animal Crossing* at least the grind is gameplay and they don't call it prison.
You ever get the feeling Animal Crossing in Space is basically what these people want? Fly to each other's planets, brag about DLC you paid for, etc

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dear god... Tom Nook is just raccoon Crobear!!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Washer Crobear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

colonelwest posted:

I need to learn/buy photoshop someday. Because this is terrible. But it made me laugh while making it, so there's that.

Even if I learned how to round the bottom edges or something...