Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sometimes I just watch his videos to see his uncle. Dude is absolutely great.

Yeah, the uncle ones are an always-click, not matter what. I liked when the host was showing off the fresh star anise and uncle asked if they could plant it and make some money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Check out these cool outfits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNZ5n4sW_8Y

After years of trying I finally made a fried rice that I consider good. For many years I've been making fried rice that came out too soft and oily. The key was getting a cast iron pan screaming hot and stir frying small to medium batches of rice on maximum for only two minutes before removing from the heat. If you can't smell burning as you move the rice it isn't hot enough. This finally produced the nice dry toasty rice that I was looking for.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

totalnewbie posted:

That's what I usually get. This picture is what I got a few years ago but I've repeated it several times.

...wait, yolk? No, it's not going to get to the yolk. The egg whites are what get flavored. But it's not a very strong flavor like you would get like if you actually dipped it in soy sauce, for example, but it's definitely there of tea, etc.

Third reuse of the marinade, and it was a lot weaker (even though I've reboiled it and added a bit of pepper and another cinnamon stick). But the yolk consistency is just right and absolutely delicious.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

spent my sunday inside making dumplings for the next few days weeks hope u all are cooking and staying inside safe & sound

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Magna Kaser posted:

spent my sunday inside making dumplings for the next few days weeks hope u all are cooking and staying inside safe & sound

I made dumplings too following Andrea Nguyens wrapper recipe for hot water dough. What's your dough recipe? Those look great.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Carillon posted:

I made dumplings too following Andrea Nguyens wrapper recipe for hot water dough. What's your dough recipe? Those look great.

Seconding this, those look amazing

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Carillon posted:

I'll admit I learned from an ex-girlfriend's old bejing grandma and that is more a strategy and less a recipe:

1. put a bunch of flour down
2. add a little bit of salt
3. add either cold or half hot + half cold water until the consistency is right. also, feel free to add more flour too if you gently caress up with the water, you just get more dough which freezes super well if you end up with too much.

I've always heard is to shoot for 2:1 flour to water by weight, but this never works for me in reality. I always start with about 300g of flour and 150ml of water but I invariably add more of both until I get the right consistency.

The right consistency is when you don't see any more powdery white four, but it may still be lumpy. I hand knead it for like 10 minutes or so until it's pretty smooth, cover and let it rest for like 10-20minutes and then knead it again until its very smooth. You should then store it for at least an hour and knead it a bit to get it up to room temp (if you fridged it, which I wouldn't say is required) once you are ready to roll out the skins themselves.

but on hot vs cold water: I've always learned that fully hot water only is not very often (if ever) used for dumpling skins, but is commonly used for unleavened fried meat pies like rou bing or men ding rou bing. Hot water dough fries up very well and is easy to get thinner, but is actually worse to boil since it's more fragile and will often break open in the pot. It's also just more annoying to work with cuz it's way, way stickier.

Conversely, cold/room temp water dough firms up better and breaks less when boiling or steaming but you get a less crispy, thicker skin if you fry it. most boiled or steamed dumpling skin is made with cold water. Cold water dough is way less sticky and much easier to work with overall.

so with that said, in my experience, you make the dough based on how you plan to cook the dumplings. I've always learned to use half hot and half cold when making dumplings you plan to fry like potstickers, and just cold water if you want to steam or boil them.

the half and half method is pretty safe cuz you can actually do either fine, above I boiled but I did half and half cuz I may fry a later batch. One thing is you want to add the hot water first in this method then the cold water to cool down the mixture, but besides that it's the same method.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Are tofu expiration dates a real thing? I forgot a couple packages in my fridge from December.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, it gets pretty gross eventually. I would throw that out.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Is it just chou do fu now?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Is it just chou do fu now?
I had this for the first time when I visited China back in October. It's delicious! (I actually had two varieties - one was black.) I want to try to make it some day. It seems like a neat project. I live in India right now where there aren't any Chinese ingredients of any sort, so even if I made my own tofu (I could maybe find soybeans) I think I'd be out of luck. But, someday maybe!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, it gets pretty gross eventually. I would throw that out.

fresh tofu gets gross fast as well. if I don't use it in a week or so it starts to get slimy and weird. Tofu from December would be probably a nice way to clear your bowels tho.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 22, 2020

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I had this for the first time when I visited China back in October. It's delicious! (I actually had two varieties - one was black.) I want to try to make it some day. It seems like a neat project. I live in India right now where there aren't any Chinese ingredients of any sort, so even if I made my own tofu (I could maybe find soybeans) I think I'd be out of luck. But, someday maybe!

I was joking, but if you made your own, I'd be interested in seeing the results! (But not smelling them)

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I was looking at getting one of Fuchsia Dunlops books, either Every Grain of Rice or The Food of Sichuan, does anyone have experience with either one and have a recommendation one over the other?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Carillon posted:

I was looking at getting one of Fuchsia Dunlops books, either Every Grain of Rice or The Food of Sichuan, does anyone have experience with either one and have a recommendation one over the other?

If you get the food of Sichuan, be sure to pick up the new edition if you're one of those people that likes pictures of all the dishes (I am). The early editions had a few pages of pictures that only showed a few of the recipes

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Carillon posted:

I love all her books, but like The Food of Sichuan (or Sichuan Cookery, as the initial uk version was called) best. It's her first book, and hence was a bit more raw and - i guess - real? It's super szechuan focussed and that's the charm of it. Lots of local colour, lots of slightly fiddly recipes that taste amazing (and require sourcing the actual ingredients, rather than bland western supermarkt substitutions). We flew to Chengdu and traveled around szechuan for a couple of weeks just to eat, mostly because of this book.

I like Every Grain Of Rice too, and it's probably a more versatile book, covering a greater range of chinese cuisines. It feels in general quite a lot more mature, with better trialled and easier to follow recipes. But i cook way more from Sichuan Cookery, its just more fun :).

Segue
May 23, 2007

I only have Every Grain of Rice but I love its focus on veg-heavy homestyle cooking. So many of the recipes you can whip up in like 10-15 minutes including cooking time.

As someone who only occasionally cooks Chinese, it's a great all-round book with very little fiddliness or complexity which is perfect for me.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I only have Food of Sichuan, but as someone who's lived in the region for a while, I can confirm it's extremely legit.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Food of Sichuan is good. The old version was not, but the update makes it taste like Chengdu. I can also recommend the Mala Market's blog, all their recipes have been ace--I prefer their yuxiang to Dunlop's, for one.

I haven't tried anything from her other books but she's the first resource I'd check for Chinese recipes in English.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Seconding Mala Market. I learned a lot from Dunlop via Land of Plenty (which I see has now been updated), but I noticed her recipes sometimes seemed very different from what every other sichuan cooking source I found said. I assume this is because Dunlop is classically trained at a Sichuan culinary school? Anyway, Mala Market's recipes are very well researched and they seem to be informed by the author's survey of how restaurants in Sichuan currently do things which is cool.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i would just watch wang gang's videos cuz all his cooking videos are good and fun to watch.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I'm not really joking either I think his videos are really good cuz he is all business and doesn't spend like 5 minutes telling you about their childhood and all sorts of other extraneous stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJLjJ-qF89I

I actually really like this recipe for the dish and steaming over deep frying the eggplant was a game changer as it saves a ton of time (idk that it's healthier, also its tbh not as good but i'd say like 80-90% as good as if you deep fry the eggplant).

Also all his goofy home videos with his million year old great uncle are great cuz he just stands in the background commenting the whole time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhp7IyIo1uw

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yes, I think maybe he's got the best cooking channel on YouTube. Short and to the point, a kitchen that I am envious of, and awesome food.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Thanks for the tip, that channel is great, he's great, his uncle is great.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Thanks everyone, my partner decided she'd rather have Every Grain of Rice as the description states it's vegetable focused, which she loves, so getting that one for now. Will definitely get the updated Sichuan one soon.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The high heat from making fried rice in a cast iron pan is destroying the seasoning on the underside of my pan. How do Chinese cooks deal with this problem? I imagine carbon steel woks on very hot gas/charcoal stoves would have the same issue.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVHZXEHMwrg

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

That is hypnotizing.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
What are some recipes to use all the varied seafood at hmart? Im talking the little containers of stir fried/dried anchovies, crabs, eels, and a dozen other things ive never heard of. They look delicious but I don't know if they are supposed to be eaten straight or cooked in something.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NarnE7DQtuc

A classic

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

goodness posted:

What are some recipes to use all the varied seafood at hmart? Im talking the little containers of stir fried/dried anchovies, crabs, eels, and a dozen other things ive never heard of. They look delicious but I don't know if they are supposed to be eaten straight or cooked in something.

Go grab some things and let us know what you grab. It really depends on what you're talking about, whether it's dried or fresh, pickled or kept in oil or by itself, etc.

I'd if it's dried, soups. Fried, toppings (for rice or noodles or whatever - not the main protein, just crunchy flavor to go with the main protein). Pickled, throw it into salads or stir fry with other things and have over rice/noodles. Larger things like crabs (even the smaller river crabs), you steam with some aromatics and maybe have a dipping sauce. If it has bones and is larger than your hand then you probably steam and pick meat off. If it's a smaller fish then you can just deep fry and eat whole if you don't mind small bones.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Started off this these two and some raw enoki mushrooms.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

goodness posted:

Started off this these two and some raw enoki mushrooms.

These are Korean side dishes called banchan. You just eat them as-is.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

These are Korean side dishes called banchan. You just eat them as-is.

Awesome. Tried a bit of the anchovy after seeing this, they are a little chewy but would be good on some rice I bet.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Can someone school me on stir fry sauces? Thought I was ordering one bottle of oyster sauce and got a dozen. I also have hoisin, sesame oil, shao xing, rice vinegar, black vinegar, and mirin, so I should be able to cobble some stuff together.

I cook with a pescatarian sometimes so trying to match shrimp/white fish/tofu/tempeh etc.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

goodness posted:

Awesome. Tried a bit of the anchovy after seeing this, they are a little chewy but would be good on some rice I bet.

check out nasi lemak and similar

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

goodness posted:

They'd probably be a good onigiri filling.

Come on over to the Korean thread for spicy banchan talk.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oyster sauce is awesome. It goes with many savory dishes in various concentrations. Sometimes when I'm making beef and onions I skip all other seasoning and just use oyster sauce. It takes care of sugar, salt, sour and umami.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

blk posted:

Can someone school me on stir fry sauces? Thought I was ordering one bottle of oyster sauce and got a dozen. I also have hoisin, sesame oil, shao xing, rice vinegar, black vinegar, and mirin, so I should be able to cobble some stuff together.

I cook with a pescatarian sometimes so trying to match shrimp/white fish/tofu/tempeh etc.

Sauté some gai lan (or bok choy) with oyster sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Most Chinese stir fry sauces are pretty similar, you're just playing with ratios and adding or subtracting certain ingredients. Off the top of my head the most common ingredients are: light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, salt, MSG, and shaoxing wing/liaojiu.

Also nearly every chinese stir fry will add a water and corn or potato starch slurry to thicken the sauce.

One note about soy sauce is light soy is used like 90% of the time and any generic soy sauce you buy that's not otherwise labeled can be used as this. Dark soy sauce is thicker, darker and actually less salty. It's almost exclusively used to color dishes and how many chinese braises get hat distinctive brown/red coloring. It can almost always be skipped if a recipe calls for it. I'm not gonna get into stuff like tian mian jiang and taiwanese sweet or thick soy sauces which have even more fringe uses!

just as an example, the base sauce for one of my favorite veggie stir-fries, di san xian would be: oyster sauce, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce (for color, feel free to skip), sugar, salt and then MSG if you want, finished with a slurry to thicken the sauce.

the amount is kinda relative to how much you're cooking but id say as a base like 1tbsp of oyster sauce, 2tbsp of light soy sauce, 1/2 tsp dark soy, 1/2 tsp sugar and 1/4 tsp salt would be decent as a start. For your slurry, you generally want a 2:1 ratio for water to starch so 1tbsp water and 1/2 tbsp starch as a starter. you can pre-measure and throw all the other ingredients in first once your stir fry is just about done, mix, then add in the slurry to thicken it up to a sticky sauce.

For a real dongbei flavor also toss like 1/2tsp or so changking black vinegar and some minced garlic in at the end (after everything above) for a nice acidic and garlicky kick.

But yeah basically play with mixing what you have and follow this and you got most sauces. Add in the hoisin or whatever else you have and experiment.

One thing is I think Mirin is bad for sauces cuz it doesn't have much flavor really, and is a bad replacement for shaoxing wine. shaoxing wine has way more sodium and other flavors so it adds a lot more to a sauce than mirin. I stick to mirin for marinades where it really shines.

drgitlin posted:

Sauté some gai lan (or bok choy) with oyster sauce.

when i make gai lan i make a real simple "sauce" of pounded up ginger, liaojiu, salt and some slurry then top it with a very small amount of light soy sauce and it's v good.