Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I put on a decent set of over the ear headphones and I'm completely immersed into Beat Saber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nah I've played Ring Fit late at night and not gotten complaints, and I'm stepping way softer in Beat Saber than I do in that game.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I don't think it's possible for stock Quest audio to pass through anything, it barely makes it into your years and there are holes there specifically for that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Puddin posted:

Yeah any of the custom songs don't get high score tables.

It sucks but for me at least I'm never going to challenge any expert scores.
It's mostly just about comparing scores between friends. I guess not. Would be nice if it were cross-buy, so I could coax him to play the PC version, but apparently it's not.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of Quest audio, does anyone else have a very clear audio distortion/tone shifting sometimes when using Link?

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 22, 2020

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Turin Turambar posted:

Speaking of Quest audio, does anyone else have a very clean audio distortion/tone shifting sometimes when using Link?

Nope. Would be odd for that to happen unless there was some type of encoding issue as it's not transmitting the audio directly.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
The VR Ears kickstarter is up - I like the Index speakers so I hope these will fill the gap!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The Rift S blasts sound directly into the top of my hearing aids and it fucks up my mind

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Turin Turambar posted:

Speaking of Quest audio, does anyone else have a very clear audio distortion/tone shifting sometimes when using Link?

Audio distortion like that in my experience of using USB audio interfaces is generally related to USB itself, try a different port and unplug any external hard drives as they are what does it for me mainly

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Is an i9-9900k @ 5ghz and an nVidia RTX 2080 Ti Founder's Edition enough for 144hz on the index?

I'd think so, but that could also be futureproofing on their part.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I mean, thats almost literally the best setup money can buy.

Its as good as it can get. 144hz is up to the game settings at that point

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Deviant posted:

Is an i9-9900k @ 5ghz and an nVidia RTX 2080 Ti Founder's Edition enough for 144hz on the index?

nice flex bro

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hey guys, I have the quantum computer from DEVS, is that good enough to run the Index?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Deviant posted:

Nope.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
But anyway, it'll be fine for some games, and not for others at 144hz. There does not exist a computer that will run DCS World acceptably at 144hz, for example, but it'll be fine for games that aren't unoptimized trash.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can run DCS at 144fps, just turn the steamvr scaling down to 0.0000000001%.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
1 pixel 3 o'clock high, I think it's a bogey.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Any goons from the UK got a source on where I could nab a Quest? I've been checking daily and had no luck on the big sites, I was hoping some underground nerd sites might stock them

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Any goons from the UK got a source on where I could nab a Quest? I've been checking daily and had no luck on the big sites, I was hoping some underground nerd sites might stock them

I searched every tech site I knew and none had any when I was looking for mine. Best bet is just to set up a stock alert on a tracker site and hope you get to it fast enough (Amazon had them in for about 7 minutes when I got mine), though you missed a brief period the last few days where stock was in a few places including the actual Oculus site. The other option is keeping an eye on Argos, there's reliably been a few stores with stock on that front so have a look see if any are close enough for you.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://pastebin.com/GBfpKXMs

quote:

Yes, Oculus. We had and to some degree still have a good relationship and wanted the Rift to be sold under SteamVR co-branding but Alan Yates despises them. He's still pissed about Michael Abrash's departure and slings mud at Oculus for every chance he gets. The VR team had an open exchange of research with Oculus before I joined the company. He quickly killed every chance we ever had at a proper partnership when he started accusing them of stealing, even though both sided profited greatly from the exchange.

Our goal was to establish a unified VR consortium with Oculus and anyone else who would like to join. We wanted to create standards that would allow every PC headset to be used across every PC VR platform, be it SteamVR, Oculus Home or other platforms by members of the consortium.

Oculus has done some questionable poo poo but I have to defend them on this one. They were open to the idea of allowing Vive on the Oculus platform but they wanted native support of the Oculus SDK and all it's features. Yates still refuses to allow Oculus access to the Vive source even though HTC and almost everyone on the VR group are on board. We have the full source code of fairly recent Oculus Runtime builds, yet he refuses to do the same. Basically everything is a democratic process at Valve and the groups as a collective get to decide but he's a relic from the early 2012 days of Steam VR and some of the required pieces are under his sole ownership. There's a person here specifically to overthrow people like him in situations like these but we have no leverage against him. We can't sign off on his property.

We're now in a situation where Oculus Rift + Touch can run the entire SteamVR library at roughly the same price while Vive can only be used with Steam. It's in our best interest to lure people over to Steam but we don't want to restrict what people can do with our licensed hardware. Yates seems to enjoy the fact that Oculus got all the heat for this.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

njsykora posted:

I searched every tech site I knew and none had any when I was looking for mine. Best bet is just to set up a stock alert on a tracker site and hope you get to it fast enough (Amazon had them in for about 7 minutes when I got mine), though you missed a brief period the last few days where stock was in a few places including the actual Oculus site. The other option is keeping an eye on Argos, there's reliably been a few stores with stock on that front so have a look see if any are close enough for you.

Dang, I've pre-ordered through Scan which is apparently due for the 12th May but I'll be keeping an eye open for anything that comes up sooner. I've checked Argos, closest seems to be South Wales which sucks. Thanks for the tips though!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Deviant posted:

Nah man, have you read the steam thread? You need to get 2 nasa computers to even turn on a VR headset.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

:munch:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That Yates guy always seemed like a giant rear end in a top hat.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
I met Alan Yates at a Makers Faire a few years ago and he was legit cool af. Haven't met any Oculus folk but can safely say Facebook as an organization is absolutely scummy and parasitical and do not have good intentions for consumers or the societies they use as hosts

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Why do they keep saying "Vive" instead of "Index"? How old is this?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KakerMix posted:

I think a few years old, it's a conversation the Valve News Network guy had with a Valve employee, it was part of the leaks that just happened (the one where a bunch of their source code got released, ouch)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats the second time Valve has had a major sourcecode leak. HL2 leaked as well

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Other parts of the conversation date it to around 2018. There's another bit where he talks about Valve and HTC falling out.

quote:

5. Is Valves relationship with HTC still good? Not really. They screwed up the launch and insist on unnecessary margins of about 10% on top of BOM and staff. We agreed to a partnership under the impression that they would sell at cost. They're close to cost but still making profit on the hardware, which we didn't agree to and are not okay with. We're actively looking for additional partners for Steam VR branded headsets.

They also love to make announcements on our behave that aren't based on reality whatsoever. At the time they said that we're working on an Half-Life game for VR, we weren't even thinking about a first party VR game, let alone Half-Life.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Doesn't reaaaaaly surprise me, Yates always gave off strong Richard Stallman/old time open source geek kind of vibes that are very tribal and stubborn.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
It is pretty interesting but I can't see how a 'lol let's make this maybe idk' sort of free-flow structure that Valve has vs. the stock-driven money money money data data data Facebook, and by extension, Oculus, could have meshed well even without ruiner-Yates. It still doesn't explain why Oculus won't support non-Oculus headsets on their own store.
It's also curious that the 2018 date since that is well into Half-Life Alyx's development so it's odd to see the guy bring it up at all, and then to say "weren't even thinking about a first party VR game, let alone Half-Life" if he indeed was working on VR at Valve. Would make sense to say they weren't because that's what you do when something is secret but why bring it up in the first place?

In closing, I still blame Facebook :colbert:

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Got into the Echo VR alpha on the Quest and it's a ton of fun. Does anyone know if there is a way to play against the AI solo for practice? I think I grabbed the disk a few times while playing with people and they were all really nice but I'd like to play a few more rounds against the AI so I am not completely useless.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

pootiebigwang posted:

Got into the Echo VR alpha on the Quest and it's a ton of fun. Does anyone know if there is a way to play against the AI solo for practice? I think I grabbed the disk a few times while playing with people and they were all really nice but I'd like to play a few more rounds against the AI so I am not completely useless.

I think if you select Vs AI you should be able to get in solo matches, I think as long as you don't choose co-op or join with a party you should end up solo

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Lemming posted:

I think if you select Vs AI you should be able to get in solo matches, I think as long as you don't choose co-op or join with a party you should end up solo

Yup figured it out and am working on the basics. I'm not sure if it's possible to have rank based public matches or not. Just got dunked on terribly by a level 50 that just demolished our team and nobody was prepared.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

pootiebigwang posted:

Yup figured it out and am working on the basics. I'm not sure if it's possible to have rank based public matches or not. Just got dunked on terribly by a level 50 that just demolished our team and nobody was prepared.

They've specifically disabled skill based matchmaking until they get more people in the beta, otherwise they were having problems with matches taking forever to start

That said yes I hope they turn it back on really soon lol unless those players are going out of their way to make it fun for the newer players it's just no fun all around

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Lemming posted:

They've specifically disabled skill based matchmaking until they get more people in the beta, otherwise they were having problems with matches taking forever to start

That said yes I hope they turn it back on really soon lol unless those players are going out of their way to make it fun for the newer players it's just no fun all around

I really hope a lot of people jump on this. It's easily one of the most polished experiences I have seen on the Quest and when you get in matches with similar skill levels it's a ton of fun. There's obviously a huge skill ceiling which is great and leaves a whole lot to work towards. It also needs a decent amount of space. Found myself jumping and diving for that disc which makes playing it on the Quest such a huge benefit. If you know of any good how to's and tips or can point me in the direction of some, it would be greatly appreciated!

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

KakerMix posted:

It is pretty interesting but I can't see how a 'lol let's make this maybe idk' sort of free-flow structure that Valve has vs. the stock-driven money money money data data data Facebook, and by extension, Oculus, could have meshed well even without ruiner-Yates. It still doesn't explain why Oculus won't support non-Oculus headsets on their own store.
It's also curious that the 2018 date since that is well into Half-Life Alyx's development so it's odd to see the guy bring it up at all, and then to say "weren't even thinking about a first party VR game, let alone Half-Life" if he indeed was working on VR at Valve. Would make sense to say they weren't because that's what you do when something is secret but why bring it up in the first place?

There are sections that include the date in the timestamp and they're from 2016.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KakerMix posted:

Peewi posted:

There are sections that include the date in the timestamp and they're from 2016.

Facebook only started swapping out Oculus' management for their guys in the last few years, so that'd be back when they were more Oculus and less FacebookVR with a friendly brand name. The actual game is also irrelevant in regards to HTC, the point is that HTC made false marketing claims that threw Steam under the bus for a game that was functionally non-existent.

Lemming posted:

Taunting people by tapping the ring against the goal is the only way they'll learn :colbert:.

(It's such an infuriatingly petty thing and I love it even when it's done to my team).

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Taunting people by tapping the ring against the goal is the only way they'll learn :colbert:.

(It's such an infuriatingly petty thing and I love it even when it's done to my team).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AqvANqI3w8&t=2602s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

lmao the play by play is just as stupid as any other meaningless sport but when the players are on camera they're sweaty fat nerds instead of actual athletes. This will always be funny.