Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
there's no problem with USB-C that can't be solved by buying good cables. if every cable in your house is capable of 20gbps then it doesn't matter which one you use.

i got a cheap chinese something or other that charged over micro-usb and the cable it came with didn't even have data pins inside the connector. real mindfuck the first time i tried to use it for something else. throw that poo poo away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

pram posted:

so then if i take your argument in good faith: apple should have invented two new proprietary connectors for dp-alt and tb3 (because they've always been usb-c) to address the cable issue

no? i'm not sure how you're getting those ideas from what i posted.

here's what i think they should and should not have done:

apple shouldn't have put only usb-c ports on their laptops. i'm not saying they should have put s-video and the kitchen sink on there, but one usb-a and one hdmi on the bigger laptops is not that big of an ask and solves many problems for many users.

it's been how many years since the first usb-c only macbooks? usb-c isn't yet universal, apple seems to be in denial about this, and they're trying to change the situation through stubborn force of will which clearly hasn't worked so far.

A Wheezy Steampunk fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 22, 2020

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

there's no problem with USB-C that can't be solved by buying good cables. if every cable in your house is capable of 20gbps then it doesn't matter which one you use.

doesn't apple ship a power-only usb-c cable with the macbooks? this is another thing within apple's control.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol straight up being That Laptop Nerd right now

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

MrMoo posted:

The recommended Dell workstation my niece is using on an architect degree looks similarly fugly. At least they are trying on the desktops I guess? It's more an industrial look though.

Oof, starting price is $6,045, i.e. workstation price without a Xeon or Quadro.

quote:

Base Specs • 32GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM • 512GB 970 PRO NVMe SSD • i9-9900K Series Enhanced Processor • 2070 RTX Super 8GB NVIDIA GPU • Custom Liquid Cooling Systems w/ 360mm Radiator • High Performance ASUS Motherboard • Windows 10 PRO OEM

5.2Ghz base clock on all cores is quite nice though.

idk what to buy, Falcon, Origin, Alienware, Boxx, BimBox, Titan Computers, Ava Direct, all have crazy price machines, and also a lot of stupid low end junk. I guess just shove random poo poo into a box, spray it pink, and watch it explode like D.Va.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/04/15/apple-mac-pro-wheel-kit/

quote:

Apple today introduced a Mac Pro Wheels kit designed for the Mac Pro, which adds wheels to the machine after purchase. The kit is priced at $699.

When adding wheels to the ‌Mac Pro‌ when making an initial purchase, Apple charges $400, but the standalone kit to be used after purchase is $300 more because the pre-purchase price includes the price of removing the $300 feet.

:allears:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah I saw those on the site the other day but didn't even bother to look at the price because I don't give a poo poo about all that weird Mac Pro tat that they sell

like that insane display system

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

How this ends still hasn't been unwritten...

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

doesn't apple ship a power-only usb-c cable with the macbooks? this is another thing within apple's control.

I looked at this a bunch once since Apple's description of what TH3 is is so vague. There are no "charge only" USB-C cables. (If some Amazon/ali express seller does actually sell one that can't move data, don't use them, it will fry your charger, device, or both). This and other "charging" USB-C cables are USB 2.0 spec, but marketed as charge cables since their bandwidth is low. Get a good 20GB or TB3 cable and it will do all the things you want. I don't think there is a dedicated HDMI/DisplaypPort type USB-C, cables for your monitors are probably just normal 20GB cables.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

cybrancyborg posted:

I looked at this a bunch once since Apple's description of what TH3 is is so vague. There are no "charge only" USB-C cables. (If some Amazon/ali express seller does actually sell one that can't move data, don't use them, it will fry your charger, device, or both). This and other "charging" USB-C cables are USB 2.0 spec, but marketed as charge cables since their bandwidth is low. Get a good 20GB or TB3 cable and it will do all the things you want. I don't think there is a dedicated HDMI/DisplaypPort type USB-C, cables for your monitors are probably just normal 20GB cables.

so the cable that comes with a macbook is a usb2 cable with usb-c plugs? or did i misunderstand?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

did we resolve smth smth nintendo switch itt

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

wheezin all over the place

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

so the cable that comes with a macbook is a usb2 cable with usb-c plugs? or did i misunderstand?

Yeah. USB-C is the connector, not the cable.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

theadder posted:

did we resolve smth smth nintendo switch itt

it's a good video game console, op

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

i got a cheap chinese something or other that charged over micro-usb and the cable it came with didn't even have data pins inside the connector. real mindfuck the first time i tried to use it for something else. throw that poo poo away

kinda. there are 20gbps cables that dont work with dp alt for some reason

it's been how many years since the first usb-c only macbooks? usb-c isn't yet universal, apple seems to be in denial about this, and they're trying to change the situation through stubborn force of will which clearly hasn't worked so far.

usb-c is on most every laptop and phone

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

pram
Jun 10, 2001

cybrancyborg posted:

the minimum for usb-c is 60w so there are in fact "charging cables" for 20v5a lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

oh ya usb schutzstaffel edition

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

it's a good video game console, op

can we know without using it op

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

pram posted:

sure, but what about monitors and projectors? usb headsets? (very relevant these days), usb drives? (i've seen a lot of drives that have both a and c and we're probably going to be stuck with those for a while)

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

theadder posted:

can we know without using it op

what does it really mean to "know" things, op?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
You're plugging it in wrong, OP.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

sure, but what about monitors and projectors? usb headsets? (very relevant these days), usb drives? (i've seen a lot of drives that have both a and c and we're probably going to be stuck with those for a while)

the answer is yes to everything. you might be surprised to see what port is available on the back of an rtx video card

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

pram posted:

with one notable exception lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Jenny Agutter posted:

with one notable exception lol

this is because proprietary connections are good for consumers

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

what does it really mean to "know" things, op?

a priori or a posteriori op?

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

pram posted:

the minimum for usb-c is 60w so there are in fact "charging cables" for 20v5a lol

These would still have to be able to move data to not start a fire. You've got Ipads Pro charging @ 18w, MacBooks regular & Air charge @ ~30w, the 13" Pros @ ~60w, and 15" Pros @ ~80w all over USB-C. You can safely use any of their chargers w/ any of the others because the cable has (like everything else in TYOOL 2020) a tiny ARM-based PC in it that polls the thing at each end to see what wattages it takes, and negotiates something they can both do.

If your charger didn't identify itself (because it's cheap garbage) or the cable couldn't do negotiation (because it's cheap garbage), the device being charged would just throw up it's hands, yell "Open the floodgates!" and pull it's max wattage, and if that exactly matches your charger's ability you you'd luck out. If it didn't, well, your charger will melt while trying to do the impossible.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ok but what happens if you use a 5v3a cable with a 96w charger

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

theadder posted:

a priori or a posteriori op?

i think, therefore i post, op

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

AFAIK a USB C standard cable should be able to do 96w. If you mean a USB-A cable then it'd be on the device & the charger to figure somethign out. If it's a USBC cable that doesn't have those 56k resistors or is otherwise nonstandard then i don't know, probably generate a lot of heat somewhere.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

dude, you don't even know how much better it sounds with the wheels installed. adds so much air, openness to the sound of the mac. like, 10x increase in clarity and phase torque

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

cybrancyborg posted:

AFAIK a USB C standard cable should be able to do 96w. If you mean a USB-A cable then it'd be on the device & the charger to figure somethign out. If it's a USBC cable that doesn't have those 56k resistors or is otherwise nonstandard then i don't know, probably generate a lot of heat somewhere.

the usb-c charge cable that came with my 96w charger for mbp 2016 is significantly thicker than the usb-c charge cable that came with my ipad pro, so i'm not sure that is true

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

oh my god I had no idea this was so hosed

pram
Jun 10, 2001

cybrancyborg posted:

AFAIK a USB C standard cable should be able to do 96w.

the minimum is 60w like i said. there are definitely cables intended for charging from 60w-100w so this is really pedantic saying theres no charging cables when there are (despite the fact that they carry usb 2 like that matters)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

theadder posted:

oh ya usb schutzstaffel edition

at first i was like "lol yeah the lightning bolt zigzag is very much like a sig rune" but then i realized the port also literally says SS

lol

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

pram posted:

the minimum is 60w like i said. there are definitely cables intended for charging from 60w-100w so this is really pedantic saying theres no charging cables when there are (despite the fact that they carry usb 2 like that matters)

okay i meant in the sense of "only being able to carry a charge, not data" because that's how i interpreted the original question

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

You're plugging it in wrong, OP.

literally

https://twitter.com/dalmaer/status/1252991902820909057

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

astounding feat for so many organizations to come together and fail so thoroughly while giving so strong an outward appearance they had succeeded

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

me: tim can you please make a laptop with a working keyboard that isn't for giants. tim, I'd like to purchase such a computer from you. tim
tim:
https://twitter.com/MarketWatch/status/1253040450170228737

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

memory 32GB
network 1Gbps
gpu RTX 2080
cpu temperature 3,600°C
hdd 2TB NVMe

someone who is good at hardware design please help. my computer is dying