Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Devils Affricate posted:

Soju is the worst liquor. I'd honestly rather drink er guo tou; at least that has some kick to it. Soju is just watered down vodka with a packet of sweet 'n low mixed in. Maybe some good authentic stuff exists but I've never seen it.

The real shame is that just across the pond Japan is busy enjoying sake, the best liquor. Korea obviously knows this but they will never admit it and will continue to drink crap rear end soju out of nationalistic spite.

"Head of the second pot" that’s some real poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

BrigadierSensible posted:

But it always seemed weird to me that China doesn't brag louder about wepay and alipay. Because both of those were in common use in China years before it seeped into "the west". And it is a legitimately impressive thing to do to implement a system that is both widely used and generally runs smoothly in a population as big as China.

There was a push a few years back. You had lots of Thomas Friedman types writing "China Rising" articles and citing the e-payment system as proof of China's advanced state of technology. I even remember someone posted a job listing looking for young white people foreigners to be followed around with a camera crew while using Alipay or Wepay at various places.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

CIGNX posted:

There was a push a few years back. You had lots of Thomas Friedman types writing "China Rising" articles and citing the e-payment system as proof of China's advanced state of technology. I even remember someone posted a job listing looking for young white people foreigners to be followed around with a camera crew while using Alipay or Wepay at various places.

looking for white people to do mundane things is a tale as old as time, but they tend to pay very well. Circa 2010 I was in a McDonalds in Hangzhou eating with a British friend of mine and a Chinese woman came up to us and said they'd pay her like 3000rmb to put on a fancy dress and greet people at some investment event nearby for a few hours that evening.

She (probably in poor judgment) took that offer and it was basically as they described. She, a white lady, wore an ill-fitting dress and said "Hello" to older Chinese dudes as they fed her a decent meal. They paid her the equivalent of several hundred dollars in cash a couple hours later and he was on her way.

It's always been a good source of income for the folks who can get it.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I did one of those jobs, it paid a couple thousand for standing around at this booth for a company that made some part for some machine that I knew nothing about. I don't even know what the part did. But if was fine they just wanted me to stand there and be white.

White monkey job stories are all boring like that because that's all there is to it, getting paid to be white.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Magna Kaser posted:

looking for white people to do mundane things is a tale as old as time, but they tend to pay very well. Circa 2010 I was in a McDonalds in Hangzhou eating with a British friend of mine and a Chinese woman came up to us and said they'd pay her like 3000rmb to put on a fancy dress and greet people at some investment event nearby for a few hours that evening.

She (probably in poor judgment) took that offer and it was basically as they described. She, a white lady, wore an ill-fitting dress and said "Hello" to older Chinese dudes as they fed her a decent meal. They paid her the equivalent of several hundred dollars in cash a couple hours later and he was on her way.

It's always been a good source of income for the folks who can get it.

I was paid to be in a video and be photos on a company website for this electronics manufacturer. Then we went out to a club and he drove me home, I never saw him again.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

It wasn't until relatively recently that I really listened to the what they're saying in detail and it makes it funnier

"China #4! Japan #2! Taiwan #1!"
"Oh my god! China is #1, USA number tw... USA number, number 8 okay? Taiwan #3, gently caress you, baby"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

McSpanky posted:

Bit offtopic but I'm curious if there's anywhere that has good mass market beer. I'd guess Germany/Germanic-cultural regions would be a given based on the stereotype. Maybe Egypt?

Yeah, the basic macros in Germany are perfectly good. Nothing exciting, but way better than a Budweiser or whatever.

Atopian posted:

Qingdao IPA isn't bad, if kept well.

Their hefeweizen is surprisingly decent. And I've always heard Qingdao beer fresh in Qingdao from the main brewery is actually good, but I've never been there.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

If you can stand more than 1 (one) Asahi without it being ice-cold to the point you can't really taste it then congrats! You can save money by mixing some vodka with a handful of water out of the gutter; it will get you drunk, taste better, and be cheaper

whenever someone has this sort of over the top reaction to a first world country's best selling beer it's a sign they are unpleasant to hang with

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A beautiful world with beautiful places to visit

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 28, 2021

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

d0s posted:

whenever someone has this sort of over the top reaction to a first world country's best selling beer it's a sign they are unpleasant to hang with

This is a fascinating statement with so many ways it can be interpreted.

Are you a big proponent of Bud Light and VB et al? Are you just a classist piece of poo poo who thinks that people without money in third world countries are inherently unable to make decent beer? Are you just a loving idiot? Are you simply talking out your rear end?

Hmmmmm perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middl... no wait it's definitely all of them at once.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

This is a fascinating statement with so many ways it can be interpreted.

Are you a big proponent of Bud Light and VB et al? Are you just a classist piece of poo poo who thinks that people without money in third world countries are inherently unable to make decent beer? Are you just a loving idiot? Are you simply talking out your rear end?

Hmmmmm perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middl... no wait it's definitely all of them at once.

lol case in point

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

d0s posted:

lol case in point

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż We're never gonna hang anyway so I don't give a poo poo

Lucky for you people that take actual offense to beer chat are of course known to be really fun people!

Also you claimed:

d0s posted:

e: Asahi in Japan is way better than whatever the hell goes in those bottles here in the US

but you probably couldn't tell the difference even if drank them together. And by the way Asahi in north America is brewed by Molson, so lol :ironicat:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

ok

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
New NYT article with the same old story of Chinese disinformation campaigns surrounding Covid-19 on social media, with multiple U.S. agencies verifying that it was orchestrated by government actors, and the Chinese foreign ministry saying that it’s “complete nonsense and not worth refuting”.

What do we know about the extent of U.S.-backed operations in China? Surveillance and monitoring is a given, but what about the American side of the information war?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's orange, loud, insanely stupid and obnoxious.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Kevin DuBrow posted:

New NYT article with the same old story of Chinese disinformation campaigns surrounding Covid-19 on social media, with multiple U.S. agencies verifying that it was orchestrated by government actors, and the Chinese foreign ministry saying that it’s “complete nonsense and not worth refuting”.

What do we know about the extent of U.S.-backed operations in China? Surveillance and monitoring is a given, but what about the American side of the information war?

Didn't most of the US operatives in China get exposed because the CIA has laughable infosec. Wouldn't be surprised if there was really nothing meaningful at all

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Bit offtopic but I'm curious if there's anywhere that has good mass market beer. I'd guess Germany/Germanic-cultural regions would be a given based on the stereotype. Maybe Egypt?

Don't know if you'd call it "mass market" given the size of Laos, but Beer Lao is pretty highly regarded. It's been like 10 years since I've had one and I honestly can't remember what it tastes like myself, but I do remember thinking Beer Lao Dark was excellent.

Brb googling local distributors.

BrigadierSensible posted:

As I will be flying home in a month or so, I went top the post office to post some of my clothes and poo poo, to save money on airlines charging for extra baggage etc. in boxes about the size of the ones containing one governments contribution to another.

Well at the post office I was told that Korea Post aren't flying post internationally right now, and nor can I send it via sea mail. When I asked what I could do, the lady at the desk said I should try UPS or FedEx. Neither of which my little town has. So at some stage in the next two weeks, I will be taking a multi hour trip on an intercity bus carrying two large cardboard boxes wrapped in masking tape containing old clothes and random personal effects. Fun times.

Oh, I haven't yet bought my ticket home, (I will in the next week or so), and it looks like it will cost me at least $500 more than I was expecting, and will probably have 2 or 3 stops in random airports.

Checking those packages as extra bags ($50-75 each?) will likely be cheaper than posting them anyways, but you will have to deal with the hassle of schlepping them through the airport(s). If you can get them checked all the way through it might be the way to go though.

Definitely call or email UPS/FedEx before you go, if you choose to go that way.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Oh yeah Beer Lao Dark is great, so there is one good mass market beer. Taiwan Draft (the big green bottles, not he one in cans) holds up too.

I'm not sure what Bia Hoi would even be but it's worth a mention too of course.

And Hitachino Nest as mentioned before from Japan has a number of good, interesting beers. I'm not sure how big they are - I never saw it at 7-11 or anything but I have seen it in the wild in North America at certain Japanese bars and restaurants so they do make enough to export. They even make a good IPA and not just by adding hops to mask their poo poo product. Making a good IPA is usually my standard for determining if a brewery is competent or not.

Also,

Always worth the trip to Yilan. Smooth, malty, rounded algae beer. I think it's the most out there beer I've ever had, good poo poo.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
It looks like it tastes very bad compared to a darn pepsi

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Relayer posted:

It looks like it tastes very bad compared to a darn pepsi

It's much better than a Pepsi.
The closest non-alcoholic analogue is this:

It goes through the same stages of "wtf is this" to "Hmm ok I'll try it" to "it's pretty darn good" to "I'm not sure why I ever wanted to drink anything else"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Semi related to beer chat.

But Pocari Sweat is one of the best hangover cures I have ever found in my life. When I lived in Yokohama, after a night out when I was staggering home, I would buy one of the big cans of these from a vending machine near my apartment and neck it just before falling into bed. Didn't kill the hangover, but blunted it severely.

I would also suggest orange+carrot juice in the morning.

Also very related to beer chat:

Beer is good. I enjoy drinking it. Some beer can be good and other beer can be bad. This is all true. But whenever I find someone with 'serious opinions(tm)' about beer, it always puts me in mind of the Real Ale Twats from Viz. I mean, it's just beer. And if my time at University taught me anything it is that the undisputedly best beer is free beer.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
What's a pocari and why are they bottling its sweat?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's the space under my massive panis. The sweat is aged for 77 days in the 28 year old underwear that's fused to my skin. It's skintag and pube filtered to give you a woody, smooth taste with just a hint of mushrooms.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chugging a liter of pocari before bed after a hard boozing session is a pro move.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Chugging a liter of pocari before bed after a hard boozing session is a pro move.

ain't this the truth

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Grand Fromage posted:

lol preach

still i hate pocari, like it tastes good enough and this works--it's "rice paper" flavored gatorade--but that poo poo has got kcals and you don't want more on top of what you just put away yknow what i mean?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
You're not exactly going to be burning away calories if you're screaming in bed for half of the following day.

And I don't mean in the fun way, either.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

one of my favorite japanese soft drinks is peach mitsuya cider, which I only ever found in daiso for some reason

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
in my day there was no craft beer in china there was only zhujiang pijiu and snow/mons and all that poo poo. the only beer with any bitterness to it was san miguel from the philippines

i'd kill for a nice half cold bottle of zhujiang pijiu and a plate of boiled peanuts though

hashtag #chinostalgia

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 23, 2020

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

its clear gatorade

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Didn't most of the US operatives in China get exposed because the CIA has laughable infosec. Wouldn't be surprised if there was really nothing meaningful at all

That was a while back, and they've presumably gained some replacements for all their doorstep decorations since then.
But since the Chinese government doesn't usually talk about things like that, and obviously the US wouldn't, ???

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Horatius Bonar posted:

Oh yeah Beer Lao Dark is great, so there is one good mass market beer. Taiwan Draft (the big green bottles, not he one in cans) holds up too.

I'm not sure what Bia Hoi would even be but it's worth a mention too of course.

And Hitachino Nest as mentioned before from Japan has a number of good, interesting beers. I'm not sure how big they are - I never saw it at 7-11 or anything but I have seen it in the wild in North America at certain Japanese bars and restaurants so they do make enough to export. They even make a good IPA and not just by adding hops to mask their poo poo product. Making a good IPA is usually my standard for determining if a brewery is competent or not.

Also,

Always worth the trip to Yilan. Smooth, malty, rounded algae beer. I think it's the most out there beer I've ever had, good poo poo.

Nest is realtively widely distributed overseas for some reason; I think they were one of the early microbrews to pop up after laws changed in 1994 to allow for microbrews, and capitalized on it for export, then managed to survive the following crash of microbrews in Japan after too many popped up too fast. It's certainly present in Japan but I feel like some of the other microbrews are seen more often. Now all the major breweries are trying their hand at limited runs of different types of micro-brew style beers as well. It's a good time for Japanese beer. 10 years ago you really couldn't get too much else in normal stores, now in normal convenience stores there will be a solid variety of beer, and in upmarket convenience stores and supermarkets you can have ~40 different types of beer and other canned/bottled alc beverages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Just this conversation is making me feel hungover.

Pocari sweat rules, for sure, but you gotta pair it with a dawn 808.

Unless you don't wanna be a winner.