Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Flopsy posted:

I always wondered how ALL the voice actors felt being given this pile of drivel to work with. A lot of the lines and takes are so weird and robotic I feel like they had to have struggled to figure out what sort of tone to take with half of that poo poo. How exactly is one supposed to sound discussing the nature of your many other selves? Contemplative? Morose? Amused? I dunno.

I always notice that career anime/video game actors have an easier time reading total nonsense because they just lean into the emotion rather than trying to convince the listener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Flopsy posted:

This explains so much. He's actively been trying to kill it but fans just kept eating it up.....my God

Wasn't Nomura essentially dragged kicking and screaming to this game too?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Now that we're out of the city, what will replace the rest benches and vending machines? Or will they somehow still be all over the world even as we go to increasingly remote locations?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Flopsy posted:

I always wondered how ALL the voice actors felt being given this pile of drivel to work with. A lot of the lines and takes are so weird and robotic I feel like they had to have struggled to figure out what sort of tone to take with half of that poo poo. How exactly is one supposed to sound discussing the nature of your many other selves? Contemplative? Morose? Amused? I dunno.

ben diskin did a little expose about the voice direction for KH and it's about as nightmarish as you can expect. actors are given no history of the characters or context for their lines, they're just shown clips of the japanese performances and told to match the pacing and "emotion" of those lines as much as possible

incidentally the english voice director for every KH game after the first was bob buchholtz, who has a murderer's row of awful credits to his name, including the Type-0 dub

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Rhonne posted:

Now that we're out of the city, what will replace the rest benches and vending machines? Or will they somehow still be all over the world even as we go to increasingly remote locations?

Instead of a portable Save Point, you'll get a portable Bench to place in the North Crater

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

Wasn't Nomura essentially dragged kicking and screaming to this game too?

Where'd you hear this?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

ben diskin did a little expose about the voice direction for KH and it's about as nightmarish as you can expect. actors are given no history of the characters or context for their lines, they're just shown clips of the japanese performances and told to match the pacing and "emotion" of those lines as much as possible

It's really no wonder part of the SAG strike for the VAs included 'let us know what we need to know about the projects we're working on, we've already signed an NDA and can keep a secret.'

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

I mean I can actually sympathize with that reaction. My gut feeling - my initial reaction - to seeing Whisper Harbinger and then battling Sephiroth was "... oh Tetsuya nooooo." I was on board with changing the game, and even some of the more "radical" changes struck me as really cool (anyone who complains about Jenova Dreamweaver is loving crazy, I'm sorry, they just are). My issues weren't that things were being changed, it was that I abruptly became super concerned that Nomura was gonna Nomura all over this title, and after Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III I was all done with that poo poo. I wanna get off Nomura's wild ride. The dude loving sucks as a scenario writer; Advent Children is on his doorstep, as is the aforementioned Kingdom Hearts III, and while it's tough to tell exactly where all of the blame for how butchered FFXV became lies, precisely, I felt pretty confident that his influence didn't help.

But he's listed as a director and concept designer/character designer and not the scenario writer for Final Fantasy VII Remake, which I think corralled his bugfuck tendencies and tempered them some, and when he has someone else around to edit him ("No, Tetsuya, we're not doing that dumb poo poo") he's cranked out works I enjoy, even really love (The World Ends With You, Crisis Core, the first two numbered Kingdom Hearts games). It took a little bit for me to digest what I think they were trying, but after I got it, I was like, "Okay, big risk, I respect that, let's see where it goes." And my disappointment eventually gave way to hype. They fuckin' nailed so much of this goddamn game my friends. Like...

And anyway I think I realized that a lot of my misgivings were, as it seems they chiefly are among the Very Mad crowd, about what I think is probably going to happen, or where things could go, instead of what FF7R actually is, which is a triumphant love letter to my favorite game of all time. Let's be clear: there is at least a coin flip's chance that the sequel games are worse than what a closer remake would've given us. But there's also at least a coin flip's chance that the sequels are even better, or at least well-executed and different and satisfying. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt not because of KH3 or FFXV or TWEWY or whatever - I'm giving the team the benefit of the doubt because of FF7R and that's it.

I know this was from a couple pages back, but why do people actively seek out reasons to poo poo on Nomura? like "I don't know what happened with FFXV but it was probably his fault"? what. this is a company who made him director of a project and didn't bother to tell him about it. he had like nothing to do with FFXV's final product--that was all Tabata, who they brought in to work on it to free up Nomura for KH3, probably. Nomura was never in a main story role for FF7 (that was Nojima and Kitase), so it's weird to think that he was going to somehow come in and ruin this.

Like I love Square-Enix, but their development cycles and project management are hosed and little to none of that is Nomura's fault, but he always gets the blame for it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Flopsy posted:

Where'd you hear this?

quote:

"As preproduction went along and I offered my opinions on what I thought should be done, Mr. Kitase would ask me how the individual elements should be adjusted in fine detail. It was very perplexing.

Then one day, as I was checking the internal company presentation video it said 'Director Tetsuya Nomura' at the end. "So I called up Mr. Kitase and said, 'It says that I’m the director for some reason.' To which he replied, 'Of course it does.'"

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Where's the kicking and screaming?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Flopsy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiMOiLJx00Q

This is one of two KH games I ever had any interest in and this is one reason why.

Nomura apparently chose Nimoy specifically so he isn't all bad.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

morallyobjected posted:

I know this was from a couple pages back, but why do people actively seek out reasons to poo poo on Nomura?

it's what the Cool Kids do

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If nothing else, Nomura seems to genuinely care about FF7, and his contributions to the original seemed to have been very important, even on the story level. I'm not sure this is quite a Kingdom Hearts situation for him, though they definitely did blindside him with the director role (which is baffling to me but, fuckin' Square-Enix I guess).

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Flopsy posted:

Where's the kicking and screaming?

I didn't mean he was literally kicking and screaming, but that the job was imposed upon him without his consent.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Flopsy posted:

This explains so much. He's actively been trying to kill it but fans just kept eating it up.....my God

unless they have a different interview to cite, I think they're just talking out their rear end. He's said that he doesn't identify with Sora personally and instead is more like Ansem or Xehanort and that Sora is therefore kind of his "enemy". That's different than fantasising about killing Sora all day. I mean in one interview he said Sora was his favourite character and in 2018 he confirmed that he'd like to continue to tell Sora's story, so I don't know what they're talking about.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's not hard to look at the last 15 or so years of work Squsre has put out and think Yoshida is the only competent showrunner they have

7R is good though despite all odds

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

After reading about the original concepts for Versus XIII/FFXV I wonder if Nomura's version might have been a lot better than the version we actually got.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiMOiLJx00Q

This is one of two KH games I ever had any interest in and this is one reason why.

Nomura apparently chose Nimoy specifically so he isn't all bad.

Yeah, but then Nimoy died, so they get Rutger Hauer to be the new voice of Xehanort...who then also died shortly after KH3 came out and so they replaced him with Christopher Lloyd for the DLC.

What I'm trying to say is please be safe Doc Brown.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

I didn't mean he was literally kicking and screaming, but that the job was imposed upon him without his consent.

Ok, that's not great but I'm not getting the vibe he has the same level of bitterness towards FF7R as he's developed towards kingdom hearts.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

I don't think thats true, he just didn't see the point of remaking FF7, which is why this isn't that. Also the leak from awhile back said that Nomura was personally horrified by the CC2 version, which is one of the reasons it was brought internal and I guess he got more hands on with it from there.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm playing through on Hard and boy howdy the Airbuster is pushing my poo poo in. His Tankbuster spam when he hits his final form keeps getting me, it's hard to stay alive when you can avoid his first shot fine but then he pivots 130 degrees and fires a second shot with like, no windup :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
really wonder what it was about CC2's draft that got nomura's hackles up so much

their combat systems tend to be mediocre at best and nomura has a borderline-fetish for those so that may have been one point against it

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I was kind of disappointed that didn't do anything with Marco. They set up one of these black robbed Sephiroth clone guys living next to Cloud, but then you never see him again until he shows up as a corpse at the end of the game.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rhonne posted:

I was kind of disappointed that didn't do anything with Marco. They set up one of these black robbed Sephiroth clone guys living next to Cloud, but then you never see him again until he shows up as a corpse at the end of the game.

He wasn't a corpse. He was the Sephiroth carrying Jenova's body

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

homeless snail posted:

I don't think thats true, he just didn't see the point of remaking FF7, which is why this isn't that. Also the leak from awhile back said that Nomura was personally horrified by the CC2 version, which is one of the reasons it was brought internal and I guess he got more hands on with it from there.

To be fair have you seen their interpretation of Cloud? It was...uh not good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

yeah it's likely that the sephiroth who was hounding cloud right up until the JENOVA battle was actually marco being used as a meat puppet

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Well yeah, that's what I mean, he's being used as a meat puppet, but you don't realize it's him until after the Jenova fight when he's already dead. When you first meet him Tifa says that he has some problems, but he's not a bad guy, which implies that he actually had some kind of personality before he got body jacked.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Its another dangler to keep you anticipated for the next one, since his number 49 is so absurdly and conspicuously higher than what a ff7 superfan would expect a Sephiroth clone to have. Another mystery...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
how high did they go up to in the original game?

and i think tifa's assessment of marco's "character" was just her being nice, as far as she's concerned the guy is a harmless invalid who needs a roof over his head and an occasional check-up to make sure he hasn't died of starvation

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rhonne posted:

homeless snail posted:

It another dangler to keep you anticipated for the next one, since his number 49 is so absurdly and conspicuously higher than what a ff7 superfan would expect a Sephiroth clone to have. Another mystery...

Marco was the body Sephiroth was inhabiting when he stabbed President Shinra and Barret and then appeared to turn into Jenova Dreamweaver. When Jenova Dreamweaver dies, Marco dies and fades away, leaving Jenova's body there to be picked up by Sephiroth inhabiting a different clone.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I guess I was just hoping we'd get a chance to know him more before Sephiroth assumes control. It would make him and the other clones a lot ore tragic.

I did like that you ran into another one later on in the game with Aerith, really gives you the feeling that these guys are loving everywhere.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
personally i'm really, really happy that the clones are the same moaning ciphers as in the original

as i said in another thread, we did not need another organization XIII

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm pretty sure the guy you run into with Aerith (the #2 clone) is the famous "This guy are sick" from the original, too.

I think he's the body Sephiroth is using when he takes Jenova's body and leaves just before Rufus shows up, but I don't remember.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, the dude in sector 5 is #2, as he should be

Oxxidation posted:

how high did they go up to in the original game?

and i think tifa's assessment of marco's "character" was just her being nice, as far as she's concerned the guy is a harmless invalid who needs a roof over his head and an occasional check-up to make sure he hasn't died of starvation
They never say explicitly, but the highest number we see is 12 and iirc they're not all numbered but we see exactly 12 of them over the course of the game. So to make the first thing we see 4x that, is an intentionally conspicuous message imo

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, the dude in sector 5 is #2, as he should be

They never say explicitly, but the highest number we see is 12 and iirc they're not all numbered but we see exactly 12 of them over the course of the game. So to make the first thing we see 4x that, is an intentionally conspicuous message imo

They're also supposed to be Nibelheim survivors that Hojo gathered up to experiment on, so there being 49 or more of them is a bit distressing.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Remind me, which # is Cloud? and since they moved the tattoos from the hand to their shoulders, Cloud totally has a number hidde under that shoulder pad and by god we are gonna get a dramatic reveal of it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

new kind of cat posted:

Remind me, which # is Cloud? and since they moved the tattoos from the hand to their shoulders, Cloud totally has a number hidde under that shoulder pad and by god we are gonna get a dramatic reveal of it.
Cloud and Zack don't get numbered because I guess they're failures. So technically there's probably a lot more than 12 running around but they don't got the tattoos

Unless yeah, they add one to him in this lmao

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

new kind of cat posted:

In the original he explicitly had no number as he was deemed a failure.

Or, I think the later revealed explanation was because he and Zack escaped before they could be tattooed.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
can't wait for every encounter at the northern crater to be wave after wave of sephiroths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
better than wave after wave of genesises

geneses? genesii?