Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

littleorv posted:

This may be a silly question but are there any good charities I could donate some money to? I am fortunate enough to still be working during this time and I figure this is the bare minimum I could do right now. I don’t trust myself to do my own vetting because I’m a dumbass.

cash to foodbanks is probably one of the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

littleorv posted:

This may be a silly question but are there any good charities I could donate some money to? I am fortunate enough to still be working during this time and I figure this is the bare minimum I could do right now. I dont trust myself to do my own vetting because Im a dumbass.

Food banks

https://www.foodbankscanada.ca/COVID-19.aspx

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

quote:

The Alberta Investment Management Corp. which manages pension assets, sovereign wealth, and other public money lost billions of dollars on wrong-way volatility trades when markets crashed earlier this year, and then shut down the strategies, according to informed sources.

The now-defunct volatility-trading program cost pensioners and Albertans about $3 billion, the sources said. Thats on top of substantial, first-quarter losses to portfolio value that nearly all public funds are dealing with amid the coronavirus crisis.

Its not very hard to lose $3 billion selling volatility, said one quantitative hedge fund manager who frequently trades with the likes of AIMCo. Youre doing stuff that has a minus-infinity potential outcome.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

can we change the thread title to "minus-infinity potential outcome"

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

who is alberta going to blame for losing 3 billion in pension assets on a trade?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

RBC posted:

who is alberta going to blame for losing 3 billion in pension assets on a trade?

quebec i'm guessing?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Trudeau, Quebec, Laurentian elites, China

Take your pick really

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
aimco existed during the disastrous andp government so my guess is notley

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

probably gonna blame edmonton voters

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The stock market's historical liberal bias.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
George Soros.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

RBC posted:

china's fault for killing the stock market with their foreign virus

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

littleorv posted:

This may be a silly question but are there any good charities I could donate some money to? I am fortunate enough to still be working during this time and I figure this is the bare minimum I could do right now. I dont trust myself to do my own vetting because Im a dumbass.

the province of alberta

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

vyelkin posted:

china's fault for killing the stock market with their foreign virus

this is the official conspiracist excuse right now. trump made stock market too good so china released a virus to crash it and now are buying all our stocks while they are low

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
What weird assed trade strategy has a pension trading volatility? That's completely insane.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Important question: what is the most North Ontario name?

Doug and Gord and Darryl are really high up there but maybe I'm missing something

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I think if we're talking newborns in 2020, Jackson has got to be up there.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

But with an x.

Like Jaxson, not Jackson X.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

biosterous posted:

Important question: what is the most North Ontario name?

Doug and Gord and Darryl are really high up there but maybe I'm missing something

Itchy and Scratchy

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Squizzle posted:

does canada still exist

Canada is a drunken con that Macdonald somehow pulled off thanks to a ton of champaign.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

biosterous posted:

Dave, Rob, Brenda, Roger, Brad, Linda, Ed, Joanne.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Canada is a drunken con that Macdonald somehow pulled off thanks to a ton of Champlain.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Another Bill posted:

I think if we're talking newborns in 2020, Jackson has got to be up there.

Guest2553 posted:

But with an x.

Like Jaxson, not Jackson X.

Health Services posted:

Dave, Rob, Brenda, Roger, Brad, Linda, Ed, Joanne.

Some very good contenders here

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Itchy and Scratchy

lol

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Thanks, made a donation

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Trudeau Bux for students!
https://globalnews.ca/news/6851363/coronavirus-canada-trudeau-students-aid/

quote:

Coronavirus: Trudeau announces $9B aid for students, including monthly benefit
Editors note: This story has been updated to clarify the amount of aid eligible to students.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is promising a new emergency benefit for students whose education and job prospects are disrupted by COVID-19.

He says a $1,250 monthly payment is coming for post-secondary students, running through August, to make up for lost work and cut hours.

The benefit can increase to $1,750 for people with disabilities or who care for others.

Trudeau also says students volunteering in their communities will soon be eligible to receive a grant between $1,000 and $5,000 to put towards their education, depending on their hours.

These benefits are intended to target support at young people who have fallen through the cracks of other emergency relief programs.

Trudeau says these measures and others, such as increased education grants and an expanded government-supported job program, will total $9 billion.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Haha ha, ha, wouldn't it be hilarious to have graduated during all this and still be outside the boundaries for that aid?

:suicide:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

weren't they supposed to do a wage top-up for essential workers who don't make gently caress all, like every single person risking their lives ringing up beans at the beanery

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

weren't they supposed to do a wage top-up for essential workers who don't make gently caress all, like every single person risking their lives ringing up beans at the beanery

I think you can apply for CERB if you are making less than $1000 per month now?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
ffs trudeau just give 2 grand to every adult canadian regardless of circumstances

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

yeah hes basically done that at this point

i mean how many students never actually have summer jobs and are going to get this money. its a lot

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

blatman posted:

Can't do that, then we might start to forget our place

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Just give everyone $2k a month you putz.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:magical:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:53 on Jun 20, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

RBC posted:

yeah hes basically done that at this point

i mean how many students never actually have summer jobs and are going to get this money. its a lot

I got my degree a few months ago and still haven't found a job: I get nothing.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I got my degree a few months ago and still haven't found a job: I get nothing.

My wife graduated in '09 and after bouncing between temp jobs, decided to stay at home with kids a few years ago. She was looking to get into the workforce once our youngest was started school later this year.

Alas.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

A friend said I might barely qualify so gently caress it I'll apply.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

have the essential workers gone on strike yet

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Double dipping the Trudeaubux

Hell yeah

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
let's try to guess what finer slice of the population is next in line for decreasing amounts of aid

young adults 12-15 years old and young-at-heart adults 70+ (with top-up for latter's covid proximity)
hockey parents and those working hard to join them
anyone lacking a comprehensive dental plan (but could afford cleanings and fillings anyway)
salt geologists and fishermen
homeowners struggling to heloc their next downpayment
nonunion grocery store workers
albertans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Alberta is saved

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Oil-Prices/How-Oil-Prices-Could-Go-To-100.amp.html

lol