Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Ague Proof posted:

Biden's first Senate campaigned heavily against his opponent's age. Boggs was 63.

If you want a decades long writeup of how dirty the entire Biden enterprise is as a wannabe mafia family, read over this:

(Its long, and covers enough instances of criminal activity (frequently where the partners of a Biden enterprise were convicted, but whichever Biden family member was involved walked) that you'll need to take notes.)

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/08/02/joe-biden-investigation-hunter-brother-hedge-fund-money-2020-campaign-227407

quote:

Their ventures, over nearly half a century, have regularly raised conflict-of-interest questions and brought the Biden family into potentially compromising associations. This investigation offers the most comprehensive account to date of the politically tinged business activities of Biden’s brother and son, and is the first time former associates of James and Hunter have alleged that the pair explicitly sought to make money off of Joe’s political connections.

quote:

James Biden made it clear he viewed the fund as a way to take money from rich foreigners who could not legally give money to his older brother or his campaign account. “We've got investors lined up in a line of 747s filled with cash ready to invest in this company,” the executive remembers James Biden saying.

At this, the executive recalled, Beau Biden, who was then running for attorney general of Delaware, turned bright red. He told his uncle, “This can never leave this room, and if you ever say it again, I will have nothing to do with this.”

quote:

In James and Hunter’s five-year tenure, Paradigm became associated with a number of alleged and confirmed frauds, including Allen Stanford’s multibillion-dollar Ponzi scheme, while seeking to draw on their powerful relative’s political allies for financing.

quote:

During the Obama years, several months after James joined a construction firm as an executive, the firm received a contract worth more than a billion dollars to build houses in Iraq while Joe oversaw the U.S.-led occupation of that country.

quote:

In his suit against Hunter and James, Lotito alleged they invoked their political connections in their dispute with Fasciana, the lawyer who was later jailed. “The Bidens refused to pay the bill, repeatedly citing their political connections and family status as a basis for disclaiming the obligation,” Lotito claimed in his complaint. “The Bidens threatened to use their alleged connections with a former United States Senator to retaliate against counsel for insisting that his bill be paid, claiming that the former senator was prepared to use his influence with a federal judge to disadvantage counsel in a proceeding then pending before that court.” James and Hunter denied those allegations.

A month after Joe Biden was elected vice president, the Justice Department seized the building that housed Paradigm’s offices, 650 Fifth Ave., New York, N.Y., alleging that it was secretly owned by the same Iranian bank that was financing the nation’s nuclear program.
It goes on and on ... like I said this one is long.

Theres some shorter easier to digest bits:

How Frank Biden leveraged his famous name for business gain
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/frank-biden-leveraged-famous-business-gain/story?id=68202529

How five members of Joe Biden’s family got rich through his connections
https://nypost.com/2020/01/18/how-five-members-of-joe-bidens-family-got-rich-through-his-connections/
https://nypost.com/2019/10/15/joe-bidens-brother-and-son-have-a-long-history-of-profiting-off-his-name/

https://www.propublica.org/article/the-profitable-business-of-being-joe-bidens-brother

quote:

The Benefits of Being Joe Biden’s Brother

It was not the first time — or the last — during his long career that Jim Biden turned to Joe’s political network for the kind of assistance that would have been almost unimaginable for someone with a different last name. Campaign donors helped him face a series of financial problems, including a series of IRS liens totaling more than $1 million that made it harder to get bank financing. Jim Biden took out two more loans from WashingtonFirst before its sale in 2018.

These transactions illuminate the well-synchronized tango that the Biden brothers have danced for half a century. They have pursued overlapping careers — one a presidential aspirant with an expansive network of well-heeled Democratic donors; the other an entrepreneur who helped his brother raise political money and cultivated the same network to help finance his own business deals.

Jim Biden, 70, has cycled over the years from nightclub owner to insurance broker to political consultant and fundraiser to startup investor and construction company executive. But the through line of his resume was his bond with his brother, a Democratic Party stalwart in a position to push legislation or make government contracts happen.

Recognizing a potential minefield, Joe has avoided responsibility for or financial involvement in his brother’s ventures, according to longtime advisers. Yet on occasion, as Jim pursued opportunities, Joe met with his potential clients or partners, at Jim’s request.

In 2002, Joe addressed a Washington conference of the National Association of State Treasurers, whom Jim was courting on behalf of lawyers who wanted to represent state pension funds. “Jim offered that his brother,” who usually took the train home to Delaware in the evening, “was just happening to be in town,” said Pamela Taylor, then the group’s executive director. “He said: ‘He’s going to spend the night in D.C. Would you like him?’”

quote:

Taylor reached out to Joe, who had previously been invited by Delaware’s state treasurer but hadn’t firmly committed. Joe spoke to the group over breakfast, analyzing the prospects for war in Iraq. “It was perfect,” Taylor recalled.
... and then ...
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/15b-contract-in-iraq-for-bidens-little-brother-exposes-obama-ahead-of-debate

quote:

$1.5B contract in Iraq for Biden’s little brother exposes Obama ahead of debate

Aside from literally playing war for profit, these people revel in the petty scams (like Trump) just as much.

quote:

Jim reported a net worth of about $10,000, but he and a partner were able to borrow $300,000 from First Pennsylvania Bank of Philadelphia for the expansion. His brother then sat on the Senate Banking Committee.

And the world-leading prison population that Biden's War on Drugs created was a nice profit bump for a while as well!

quote:

Pinto, the Corrections USA vice chair, was unaware of this incident. He was a registered Republican, but he admired Joe Biden’s criminal justice record. In meetings with Corrections USA executives, Jim and his partner offered an attractive package and emphasized their Washington clout. Jim “makes sure he tells you his brother is Joe Biden,” Pinto said. “‘We’re brothers, we’re close.’”

One day in 2007, Pinto recalled, was an all-out Biden blitz. In the morning, he and other Corrections USA executives took Amtrak from Philadelphia to Washington for meetings. When Jim boarded in Delaware, he “brought Joe back to say hello,” Pinto recalled.

On Capitol Hill, Pinto’s group met with the senator, who chaired the Judiciary Committee’s subcommittee on crime and drugs. Pinto had his photo taken with Joe, and a Biden aide discussed the group’s priorities. That evening, Pinto said, they dined with Hunter Biden, then a lobbyist with Oldaker in Washington.

Biden & Caveney gave a benefits overview at the group’s annual conference.

Then the deal fell apart. Pinto and another association executive said the group balked at Jim’s demand for an unusual arrangement to pay Biden & Caveney’s fees. They had assumed that Corrections USA would pay the fees out of member dues. But Jim insisted that the guards pay all dues — roughly $750,000 a year, deducted automatically from their paychecks — to Biden & Caveney. It would keep its fees of about $120,000 and disburse the rest to Corrections USA.

Spokespeople for Jim Biden and the Biden campaign disputed Pinto’s account of the breakup but did not explain why.

After registering as an insurance agent in at least 10 states, Biden & Caveney dissolved in 2011, records show.

Any Biden will stoop as low as he or she can crawl for pretty much any cause.

https://www.propublica.org/article/the-profitable-business-of-being-joe-bidens-brother

quote:

The brother-in-law of former Republican Senate majority leader Trent Lott, Scruggs had gained fame — and nearly a billion dollars — by brokering a landmark 1998 settlement with four major tobacco companies, which paid more than $200 billion to 46 states to resolve tobacco-related health care claims.

That deal had come after the companies and state attorneys general first sought to wrap the state cases in a single federal settlement requiring the companies to pay more than $360 billion. As the bill reached the Senate, Scruggs retained Jim and Sara Biden’s Lion Hall Group to lobby for its passage.

In a lawsuit deposition, Scruggs vaguely explained Jim and Sara Biden’s role. “I’m not sure they’re lobbyists, but they are a firm that’s headed up by … the person I deal with in the firm, I don’t know who heads it up, is a gentleman named James or Jim Biden, B-I-D-E-N, who’s the brother of Sen. Joseph Biden,” he said. “And he gave us a great deal of advice about what was going on on Capitol Hill during the tobacco legislative effort.”

quote:

One of Scruggs’ lawyers early in the case was Joey Langston, who would soon plead guilty in another Scruggs-related judicial bribery case. Langston had hosted fundraisers for Joe Biden and solicited the senator’s legislative help.

Despite Langston’s guilty plea and subsequent disbarment, he and Jim Biden eventually became business associates. Both showed up as managers in Earthcare Trina International, a marketing firm affiliated with a Sacramento, California, health care company called Trina Healthcare.

“Biden was going to have a big bite of the apple,” said Shad Ellison, a corporate dealmaker who was asked to help raise money to open medical clinics that would administer Trina’s new diabetes treatment.

Trina’s “artificial pancreas treatment” was controversial. The federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services had stopped paying for the procedure in 2009, citing evidence that it doesn’t improve health outcomes. The American Diabetes Association agreed. Nevertheless, Trina’s founder, lawyer G. Ford Gilbert, tried to push a bill through the Alabama Legislature requiring private insurers to cover the treatment. He pleaded guilty in January 2019 to federal bribery charges and was sentenced to six months in prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

*4 years later*

Look I know Joe Manchin isn't perfect but do you really want Eric Trump to be president?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

PeterCat posted:

All true.

Will Trump be better?

am i required to pick between them

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Unoriginal Name posted:

One of the two is going to be president.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

PeterCat posted:

deep insights itt

e: im going to infer that your answer is no since it appears to be happening regardless of what I do

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I don't think it's unreasonable to conclude that Biden and Trump are similar enough that the differences between them are negligible.

Like, can you say we're any worse off right now than we would be if McCain had won in 2008? Isn't there a reasonable case to be made that that would have been better since Obama wouldn't have been able to cripple the Democratic Party as much as he did?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

PeterCat posted:

Actually this is the first election of my lifetime where I think it is entirely within the realm of possibility that one or both candidates dies of old age before the election.

Unoriginal Name posted:

Libs don't want you to know this but there are usually a whole bunch of candidates running for president from a number of different parties. Do with this information what you will.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

From the FoxNews poll:

This has got to be the first election with generational horseshoe theory. We thought boomers were the enemy, but it's Gen X. I guess it makes sense that the most nihilistic of current generations would be the most pro-Trump?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox-news-poll-biden-tops-trump-in-michigan-where-gov-whitmer-is-more-popular-than-president

Seeing so many allegedly apolitical or "both sides" dudes who I thought were cool instantly take the mask off as full alt-right the second they hit 45 was rough.

FRINGE posted:

It is annoying. You dont seem to know the history.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/dec/02/joe-biden-student-loan-debt-2005-act-2020

https://theintercept.com/2020/01/07/joe-biden-student-loans/

The Deleware bank-man made it as easy as possible for families to go as far into debt as they could to help their children, and then made then lifelong debtors for the banks he represents.

If youre convinced that Scammer Joe will help you, vote for him. But dont melt down when people say that this might not be a good bet.

In general Bank-Lackey Joe works against poor people. He always has. It seems likely based on his campaign staff comprised of lobbyists that he will do so until he dies.

https://www.gq.com/story/joe-biden-bankruptcy-bill

drat . There's like zero good news about Joe.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
There are rumors going around that Jesse Ventura is going to run for the Green Party nomination. That would be bad news for Biden, I can see Ventura hoovering up a bunch of disaffected Bernie supporters

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Well he was definitely better than Pawlenty, but I don’t think I would vote for him because he’s gone of the deep end

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

PeterCat posted:

Theres a reasonable chance that Biden will be dead before then.

Its gotten to where his managed green-screen scripted performances are failing because he cant even focus enough to read any more.

Mar 18 - mental shutdown on camera
https://twitter.com/hilaryagro/status/1240304025548906496

Mar 27 - brain freezes up trying to read
https://twitter.com/BernForBernie20/status/1243645081871167490

Apr 13 - many takes/snippets stitched into a single clip:
https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1249866208905580547?s=20

Apr 16 - one take, barely coherent:
https://twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1250765072751898624

Posted in March (several clips)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYGgVZjMYQA

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

PeterCat posted:

To quote a famous poet. That sounds like a you problem.

Stop enabling the farthest right wing of the democratic party with this bullshit.

Rick posted:

Seeing so many allegedly apolitical or "both sides" dudes who I thought were cool instantly take the mask off as full alt-right the second they hit 45 was rough.

drat . There's like zero good news about Joe.

It gets better. He was asked about student debt and such very recently during his campaign and he started yelling about how he has no sympathy for younger people who aren't fiscally responsible enough to have richer parents. But no, he totally changed his mind on this once he basically won the primary. This is what we're expected to believe.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 23, 2020

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Marxalot posted:

It gets better. He was asked about student debt and such very recently during his campaign and he started yelling about how he has no sympathy for younger people who aren't fiscally responsible enough to have richer parents. But no, he totally changed his mind on this once he basically won the primary. This is what we're expected to believe.

Basically every time someone has challenged Biden on anything he responds by hurling abuse at that person and telling them to vote for someone else, so this really sounds like a guy that we can move to the left real easy.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Basically every time someone has challenged Biden on anything he responds by hurling abuse at that person and telling them to vote for someone else, so this really sounds like a guy that we can move to the left real easy.

That's something I've been wondering, do the people who Biden literally told to not vote for him have to vote for him or else they're supporting donald?
Or is Biden himself supporting donald by telling people to not for him

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As I've repeated several times now, the "we just have to pressure him to move to the left!" opinions don't really stem from any sort of desire to actually accomplish those things; they stem from a desire to be seen as "an optimistic person who believes that something good can be made of a Biden administration (and to condemn others for being what they perceive as 'overly cynical')."

I think the reason for the latter part of that (wanting to condemn the left for not believing positive change is possible through most Democratic politicians) likely varies depending upon the person. Sometimes it's because the left-wing perspective implies that our society has problems that run deeper than they're comfortable admitting, and other times it's because of some bizarre internet-poisoned distaste towards the Bernie Bros.

I'm obviously not exactly hiding the fact that I dislike these people, but I think that's fair because their point basically amounts to "you're a piece of poo poo for not supporting Biden," even if they're too cowardly to outright be explicit about what they're implying. It also frequently carries its own intensely condescending edge where it's implied that the left's opinions about the Democratic Party are ridiculous and unreasonable.

porfiria posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to conclude that Biden and Trump are similar enough that the differences between them are negligible.

Like, can you say we're any worse off right now than we would be if McCain had won in 2008? Isn't there a reasonable case to be made that that would have been better since Obama wouldn't have been able to cripple the Democratic Party as much as he did?

It's hard to say. It's also possible that there wouldn't have been the same insurgency without the party if Republicans were in charge through the entire post-Great Recession period. Though I think that your point is likely more impactful.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Libs don't want you to know this but there are usually a whole bunch of candidates running for president from a number of different parties. Do with this information what you will.

But don't forget that according to Lib Math any vote that isn't for Biden is literally a bajillion votes for Trump and also activates a machine that tries to push RBG down a flight of stairs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, the liberal worldview is based entirely on aesthetic presentation, and it's clear at this point they find any realistic acknowledgement of material issues and tangible records to be deeply uncomfortable and alien. This also ties in that when you get down to brass tacks, what they actually dislike about the Trump administration ultimately just comes down to Trump being gross and rude, and it's easy to be nostalgic for Bush because he seemed like a serious and dignified statesman. They understand tone but not content, and don't understand why anyone else thinks differently.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

the_steve posted:

But don't forget that according to Lib Math any vote that isn't for Biden is literally a bajillion votes for Trump and also activates a machine that tries to push RBG down a flight of stairs.

Vote for the Greens? A vote for Trump. Vote for the Libertarians? A vote for Trump. Vote for your local mayor? A vote for Trump. Vote on a ballot measure? Boy howdy, you don't even want to know how many Trump votes that is.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, the liberal worldview is based entirely on aesthetic presentation, and it's clear at this point they find any realistic acknowledgement of material issues and tangible records to be deeply uncomfortable and alien. This also ties in that when you get down to brass tacks, what they actually dislike about the Trump administration ultimately just comes down to Trump being gross and rude, and it's easy to be nostalgic for Bush because he seemed like a serious and dignified statesman. They understand tone but not content, and don't understand why anyone else thinks differently.

I think the Warren voters exemplified this. It was a real trip watching them repeat "Bernie, but a woman!" over and over again as she shed one progressive policy after another. When she started taking billionaire Super PAC money (well, she always was, but when she openly invited it) and they were still keeping up the same refrain it became blindingly obvious how many of them believe in absolutely nothing beyond surface IDpol nonsense.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

the_steve posted:

Well of course - we all know Bri Joy Gray single-handedly gave the election over to Trump, all the while cackling and shrieking, “I do this out of hatred for my fellow black women, hahaha!!!”

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

"if you don't vote for dems you're with trump" is the same kind of totalitarian non-sense as saying that countries that were neutral in the iraq war supported saddam

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah and that’s why even liberals in this thread want to push Biden “left”. It makes him aesthetically pleasing even though we all know what he actually believes based on decades of his political career.

Regardless it doesn’t actually matter what Biden believes; he is just meant to be the friendly face for the administration. All of the legislative decisions will be made by Pelosi and Schumer and all of the executive decisions will be made by whatever absolute ghouls make up his cabinet (see Hillary’s proposed cabinet for a good laugh).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
What is the connection between Jenni's ice cream and the Democrat party?

https://twitter.com/shoe0nhead/status/1253200614458380293?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Condiv posted:

"if you don't vote for dems you're with trump" is the same kind of totalitarian non-sense as saying that countries that were neutral in the iraq war supported saddam

Absurd, my country was "neutral" but we still allowed use of Shannon Airport as a staging area for troop deployments, (and for illegal shuttling of captured POWs to black sites and Guantanamo :ssh: )

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

This is exactly what lead to the explosion of the prison population. There are so many people in prison that just shouldn't be there.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

PeterCat posted:

All true.

Will Trump be better?

He will not be sufficiently worse

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

PeterCat posted:

All true.

Will Trump be better?

Yes. The democrats will actually fight Trump's worse inclinations. That won't happen with Biden. The real problem is that we are screwed either way. There is no option that you can vote to make your life or the life of your children any better. There is only looking at the future and trying to mitigate the most damage. It is gamble between will Trump's incompetence and push back from the Democrats be better than a more competent right wing government with competent leaders. I'm going with the former because I believe that 4 years of Trump will not nearly be as bad as 8 years of the democrats doing the will of their donors in the financial and fracking industries. Can Biden be moved leftward? I don't think so. His record is enough evidence for me that he has no inclination to work with anyone that has the american people in mind above the corporations.

I hate the situation we are in. I'm sick of this happening every election cycle. I just need to keep thinking about the IDC getting kicked out of New York and VA going progressive so that I don't completely lose hope.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ManBoyChef posted:

Yes. The democrats will actually fight Trump's worse inclinations.

What makes you think they'll start doing that?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

porfiria posted:

If McCain had won we probably would have at least gotten a $1200 dollar consolation check when they bailed out the banks that broke the economy.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Gripweed posted:

What makes you think they'll start doing that?

Yeah after I typed that I started thinking about the money the democrats gave him to keep the concentration camps going.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

ManBoyChef posted:

If McCain had won we probably would have at least gotten a $1200 dollar consolation check when they bailed out the banks that broke the economy.

That's unrealistic, implausible, and unhelpful.

If you look at inflation calculators, we'd have only gotten $1,000 in 2008. :v:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

PeterCat posted:

All true.

Will Trump be better?

Trump winning in November presents a (very small) chance for a leftward turn inside the party. A Biden win kills it outright.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ManBoyChef posted:

Yeah after I typed that I started thinking about the money the democrats gave him to keep the concentration camps going.

At some point we need to consider the possibility that the difference between two evils can become so small that it is absurd to try to define which is the lesser.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i'm actually real interested in how much impact a party platform has, historically, on presidential candidates / lower candidates / their future behavior in office / media coverage / etc

seeing as it's nominally one of the Big Responsibilities of the national convention, and therefore one of the bullet points in why I'm pushing people to get involved

sure, the least important bullet point, after "set the rules for 2024" and "what if Biden dies or becomes physically incapacitated or his brain melts" and "the state conventions select the DNC", but I want to know whether it (and the discussion at the convention around it) is utterly ignorable or semi-relevant; Hillary Clinton's a useful example, but not the most useful example, seeing as how she didn't get elected so we didn't see whether she'd bother incorporating anything

Given the party itself pushed back with absolute vigor on...improving their planks by any reasonable measure vs boilerplate they've been reheating since the 90's if that...and then despite Hillary losing you then had Pelosi/Schumer/etc absolutely sprint forward since on their own accord without even giving the "Most Progressive" simmering heap so much as a sidelong glance except to just repeat that magic phrase to quell doubts on their authenticity as opposition to Trump---the Platform seems like a false crumb extended unless you assume the offices of those actually in charge of it and funding throughout as opposed to the, granted, only recent trend(I have no memory, but Doubt any warm hand extended to Edwards or even Clinton back in 2008 on this front) of having it be a spectacle of grievances for top losing primary folk to then get bludgeoned into a technical Participation Trophy.

For the ice cream theory to bloom fully, Trump would need to rally Blue Bell to his side to complete the Circle of Listeria intrigue in the freezer section influencing politics~

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Doctor Jeep posted:

Trump winning in November presents a (very small) chance for a leftward turn inside the party. A Biden win kills it outright.

Only if losing an election discredits centrist and rightwing Democrats. Which it obviously doesn't. If there's one thing we can take away from the past four years of Democrat politics, it's that the people currently in power in the Democrat party will not ever let the leftwing have a go. They will spike primaries, they will burn the party to the ground, they will literally march Democratic voters to their deaths to prevent the left from taking power.

If you want to use the Democrat party as a vehicle for leftwing change in America, then you need to change the Democrat party from the ground up. Create an actual leftwing bloc of the party. A dozen more Rashida Tlaibs, a hundred more Lee Carters. There needs to be an actual powerbase of leftists within the party, big enough to force concessions from the larger party. Or else in 2024 they'll just do to AOC or whoever the same thing they did to Bernie this year.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Except the part as it stands wants to get rid of those folks and a Biden win will embolden that wing.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Gripweed posted:

What is the connection between Jenni's ice cream and the Democrat party?

https://twitter.com/shoe0nhead/status/1253200614458380293?s=20

I looked them up and a flavor is called cadmium yellow :wtc:

Booourns posted:

That's something I've been wondering, do the people who Biden literally told to not vote for him have to vote for him or else they're supporting donald?
Or is Biden himself supporting donald by telling people to not for him

Well that one immigration advocate that confronted joe was told to vote for trump so...

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

StratGoatCom posted:

Except the part as it stands wants to get rid of those folks and a Biden win will embolden that wing.

I've got some good news about that then.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

StratGoatCom posted:

But Biden losing will not debolden them. They will fight tooth or nail to stop the left. If you want to take over the Democrat party, you can't just wait for them to agree that it's our turn and let us put our guy at the top. You actually need to build a bloc within the Democrat party that is big enough to at least make their ratfucking less total and effective. That's the absolute minimum we need if we want to see a leftwing candidate as the presidential nominee.

I know nobody wants to try drawing conclusions from the primary yet because there's still lots we don't know and there's a ton of dishonest shitheads using the opportunity to say that Bernie lost because he didn't do exactly what they want or whatever. But if you look at the 2019 UK election and the 2020 Dem primary, then it is inescapably obvious that the plan to just replace the head of a neoliberal party does not work. You can't just hijack that system and make it work for our guy. The people in positions of power within that system will burn it down first.

So if you still believe in electoralism, and you still believe that the Democrat party is the vehicle to enact leftward change in America, you have to actually take over the Democrat party first. Which sucks and is boring. You have to learn about fuckin city alderman elections, you have to vote in schoolboard elections. You have to maybe run for a position yourself. And you have to accept that it's probably not gonna be quick and easy, it'll take several elections before you've pushed out enough shithead incumbents and gotten enough good people elected to make a difference in internal Democrat power politics.

But if you're just like, welp, guess we'll try again in 2024 with AOC, guess what, it will fail. again. And if you're Vote Blue No Matter Who then you're just flat out an obstacle to any actual leftwing movement in the country.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

PenguinKnight posted:

I looked them up and a flavor is called cadmium yellow :wtc:

I just fuckin know that if I looked into it it would turn out that Jenni's ice cream is owned by Steny Hoyer's daughter in law or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Gripweed posted:

I just fuckin know that if I looked into it it would turn out that Jenni's ice cream is owned by Steny Hoyer's daughter in law or something like that.

The owner is at least somewhat buddies with Perez.

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/your-local-election-hq/democratic-chair-discusses-benefits-of-party-to-local-businesses/

quote:

One of the many stops for Democratic National Committee chairman Tom Perez Monday was a visit to Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams shop in the Short North of Columbus.​

He’s been to a Jeni’s before, back in 2016 during the Presidential campaign. Now, three years later, he was welcomed back with open arms.​

Jeni Britton Bauer, the founder and owner of Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams, gave him a hug and posed for a selfie with Perez. ​

Or at least he acts like it since she has at least a little voice among the plebs

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/w...ions-2018-11-06

quote:

Ice-cream maker Jeni’s will hand out extra scoops on Tuesday for the midterm elections, ride-hailing app Lyft is giving riders 50% off trips to the polls, and outdoor gear purveyor Patagonia swapped its usual photos of adventure in stunning natural settings for a plain black and white message on its website: “Democracy requires showing up. Go Vote.”

Being part of the national conversation during an energized election season also allows companies to get exposure as people gear up for holiday shopping. More than half of consumers (52%) say they’ll take companies’ stances on social issues into account as they buy their holiday presents this year, up three percentage points from 2017, a report released this month by market research group NPD found.