Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Argue posted:

Course World is actually making it easier for me to design courses. When making individual levels, I always felt like I had to make each one a showpiece, demonstrating a clever gimmick or cute concept, so that players would feel like trying my other levels. But with Course World around, I actually feel comfortable designing simpler levels--whereas before, I'd spend days coming up with and working around a unique central idea, now I feel like I've been freed up to make levels that slowly ramp up and focus around much more basic constructs, eg: "what if... conveyor belts... and there are enemies on them?"

This is exactly how I feel, and can't wait to really dig into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I ended up arranging most of my courses into a game roughly in the order of difficulty. I set more gimmicky levels off to be optional and had them lead to bonus houses. I'll probably refine it as I add more levels but if anyone wants to check it out my maker ID is 4XR-JB1-PGF.

I guess the ninjis on the overworld are the number of players actively playing a level at a given time? Uploading the game has gotten me a ton of plays in a short time.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I decided to check my stupid gimmick levels.

Two things: God drat that is a good time from that one dude

and

ahahahhahahah so many deaths ahahahaha such a tiny clear rate ahahahahahhahaha

https://twitter.com/Brainmage/status/1252971647612497926

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

^^ Those could be from people trying to chase those world records, that's a very good way to tank any clear rating!

6CN-T45-0PG - P Stars
May I present to you all, my first post-update stage, which includes only unreachable SMB2 mushrooms of the new things. I spent entirely too much of the weekend trying to beat the stage "Tower of Power" from Super Quickie World 1, which is a similar thing, and replayed some of my older hard stages and found the star section of that horrible wind stage I made to be fun, so I made this. Race against the P Switch timer first, then the star timer, and finally both are combined at the end in this stage I'm planning to use as a bonus shortcut in a world. Comment, like, and subscribe please!

tonberi fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 22, 2020

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

One thing to note with world maker is now there is a heavier incentive to make smaller gimmick stages like hey, beat these pokeys and actually have them matter in a way they never did before.

I'm totally putting together a world this weekend.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

Frog Mario Exhibit
84B-014-HHG
Help Frog Mario escape a life of captivity.

Nothing too involved with this one. Wanted to make a 1-screen speedrun with the frog suit to try it out. The timer here isn't tight.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Weirdly, it seems that you can put 8 worlds in each grouping and save 6 different groupings. But only 5 levels per world.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Worlds are cool but I wish the sprites didn't look like trash on the overworld

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

HELP

I'd say this is a medium to tough level that focuses entirely on mecha koopas, bounce loops and the balloon. There's a simple fight with Wendy at the end just because I wanted to use one of the koopalings and her sprite made me lose it, but that's about it.

All these new mechanics are fun and I can't wait to put these new levels into a world :3:

hatty posted:

Worlds are cool but I wish the sprites didn't look like trash on the overworld

They look great to me, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

They look great to me, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I'm talking about the Mario sprite mostly which looks poorly scaled to me, you can see it in the eyes . I'm a stickler for this stuff though

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

hatty posted:

I'm talking about the Mario sprite mostly which looks poorly scaled to me, you can see it in the eyes . I'm a stickler for this stuff though

Fair, I was more captivated by his dance moves to notice so maybe I'll have to look again :v:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Argue posted:

Course World is actually making it easier for me to design courses. When making individual levels, I always felt like I had to make each one a showpiece, demonstrating a clever gimmick or cute concept, so that players would feel like trying my other levels. But with Course World around, I actually feel comfortable designing simpler levels--whereas before, I'd spend days coming up with and working around a unique central idea, now I feel like I've been freed up to make levels that slowly ramp up and focus around much more basic constructs, eg: "what if... conveyor belts... and there are enemies on them?"

Totally agree.

There's much less pressure to make each level an individualized masterpiece that perfectly executes a concept. I'm almost as excited to make dumb little filler levels as I am the big-boy ones.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Argue posted:

It may be short, but the bullet bill helmet also floats in the air when placed, and will refuel an ongoing flight if picked up.

Edit: as per GameXplain, touching a twister refuels it too. And these also work for the propeller block.

Oh wow I didn't know that. That's excellent news then.

Also I'm really considering taking levels I already made and giving them a second pass and tightening up platforming and changing some stuff to make them into a world. I love that box throwing lava rising level I made but watching people play it, it is a little jank and maybe a bit too unforgiving. Like take that level and slow it down a bit or remove the scrolling but keep the lava rising. Or something.

Also can you make a world, lets say you do 3 worlds. Can you upload it, take it down, add more worlds and reupload it? I figure you'll lose any comments or whatever if that's even a thing, but if we're limited to only one world I don't want to wait until I have 40 levels worth to upload it, and instead just periodically updated it

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Also can you make a world, lets say you do 3 worlds. Can you upload it, take it down, add more worlds and reupload it? I figure you'll lose any comments or whatever if that's even a thing, but if we're limited to only one world I don't want to wait until I have 40 levels worth to upload it, and instead just periodically updated it

I haven't tried this yet, but that's the way it looks to me. Likes and comments seem to only be for levels, not for the world as a whole, so you'll keep all of your likes/comments regardless of how you change your world. I can't even find the stats for how many people played my world, so I think you should be fine updating your world occasionally after the fact. It's possible your code would change, but the code might just be your maker code, in which case it would stay constant too.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

DorianGravy posted:

I made my world, "Super Petrichor& World!" Okay, so it's not the best name in the world, but I really like the way it came together. It's a classic Super Mario Bros. 3 experience, with one world built from my existing levels, so give it a shot. I'd love any sort of feedback. I posted these levels in this thread a long while back, so you might see something familiar. Anyway, here's the code: 31J-H67-64G.

Yeah, GreatGreen, it would be nice if the final level didn't have to be a castle icon, but that's fine. Getting to make a world is exactly what I wanted. I can't imagine someone making an 8 world game, though!

Really enjoyed this one! Fun levels with good difficulty and secrets. Well thought out. Thanks!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Can a bridge on the world map not be just a set piece? It only lets me place it as a spot to place a level

Same with paths. How do I make the path not be a level spot and just a straight line

Edit oh I see. Kinda wish I had more room to work with

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 22, 2020

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Can a bridge on the world map not be just a set piece? It only lets me place it as a spot to place a level

Same with paths. How do I make the path not be a level spot and just a straight line

They just have the little bulb to let you know you can put a level there, if you leave a bridge or path blank they'll show up as straight lines/just a bridge on the world map.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Hed posted:

Really enjoyed this one! Fun levels with good difficulty and secrets. Well thought out. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm interested to see what other people come up with too!

Now to try some other worlds:

tonberi posted:

You can tell if someone has uploaded a world when looking at their Maker Profile, if there's a little blue square in the top left corner of their icon. I threw together a quick world with a single tough stage path or three easier stage path to the final challenge, you can find it at my maker ID! It uses the "Perfectly ____ Bridge" series of stages and a couple others that I have made before this update.

634-PNP-68G

I tried the tough route first, and I died a ton of times (~30 times?), but I persevered. I had the most trouble with the part toward the end where you're supposed to throw a shell between the munchers, then bounce off of them to get farther. My shell often came up a little short, so I decided to cheese it instead: on the part just after the checkpoint where you bounce the shell back and forth into the POW block, I simply went over the top. By doing a long jump at the right time, the POW block would destroy the problematic munchers, so I didn't have to do that difficult jump. Also, at the end, I just ran up to the final POW block and threw it, since I was having trouble with the other apparent solution. Anyway, fun level. I think it's difficult to make a level where someone dies a lot but still wants to keep playing, so you did a good job striking that balance. Nice work

The final level was well put together too. Although, it was a little strange beating a world without fighting a boss. I guess official Mario games have made me always expect a little boss fight at the end of a world.

Afterwards, I went back through and did the easy levels. Fun levels (despite the presence of monte moles). I liked the heart shapes and tons of coins. I did see a heart with a line through it, though; was that a sign of the dangers ahead?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
While I like the Super Mario World Style Koopalings. It's Ludwig was off to me and I just now figured out why. He lacks his bucktooth in that style.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Here's my first 3.0 level:

Squirrels Gone Wild
Course ID: J0L-GMH-56G
Difficulty: Expert
Multiplayer Friendly?: No

I was excited to see the squirrel suit make it's way to Mario Maker. It felt like a good opportunity to try my hand at a "don't touch the ground" level. Don't worry, it's short and hopefully not too rough for this type of level.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also put my Starlight levels together into a world. Gave the player the default 30 lives given people thought it was hard :v:.

I beat this one too! I agree with the other people: it is hard. I went toward the piranha plant level first, but lost a good 10 or so lives in the rising acid section, so I decided it wasn't worth it (since it only led to a mushroom house) and went toward the pokey level instead. Lost a few lives there too, then beelined toward the end, ignoring the snow level. The airship level was my favorite of the bunch, and the final level was good too (I like wall jumps), but there was a section where you long jump toward alternating disappearing blocks, and I felt like I floundered there. By the time I beat the world, I'd gone through most of my lives.

Do you have any easier levels? I thought the airship and final level were fine difficulties, maybe swap in some easier levels for the first couple to ease people into the challenge. The combination of scrolling, lots of enemy types, and long sections between checkpoints is a tough combo! I liked the theming, though,

Keep up the good work!

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Fun little intro level to Mario 2, can clear it pretty easy but getting to the bonus room is a lot tougher.

I gave this a couple tries, but I'm having trouble getting used to the Mario 2 mushroom. I played Mario 2 back in the day (it was okay, but not my favorite Mario), but in this game it's strange to transition between bouncing off enemies, getting the mushroom and being able to pick them up, and then being unable to pick them up if you get hit again. I don't think it's a problem with your level; I just haven't been enjoying the Mario 2 mushroom in any levels I've played.

What do other people think: have you been enjoying the Mario 2 mushroom? Does it just take some getting used to?

pray for my aunt posted:

Made a level to mess with the SMB2 stuff and Mechakoopas. Nothing impressive, but I thought it was fine.
LPJ-G89-CWF

This was fun. I really liked the room with the three lightning mechakoopas. It startled me, and I ran back toward the door (too late). Once I understood what I was supposed to do (and I should have seen right away), I burst out laughing. As I mentioned above, though, I'm not really a fan of the Mario 2 mushroom in general. Still, I really liked the mechakoopas.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

tonberi posted:

^^ Those could be from people trying to chase those world records, that's a very good way to tank any clear rating!

6CN-T45-0PG - P Stars
May I present to you all, my first post-update stage, which includes only unreachable SMB2 mushrooms of the new things. I spent entirely too much of the weekend trying to beat the stage "Tower of Power" from Super Quickie World 1, which is a similar thing, and replayed some of my older hard stages and found the star section of that horrible wind stage I made to be fun, so I made this. Race against the P Switch timer first, then the star timer, and finally both are combined at the end in this stage I'm planning to use as a bonus shortcut in a world. Comment, like, and subscribe please!

First clear! I would say that I tanked your clear rate with my dozen upon dozens of deaths, but technically I raised it from 0%, so yay? Anyway, fun but stressful level, and very tough. Running across blocks against the clock as the P-switch music plays is remarkably stressful. If the two sections had been much longer, I may have given up, but it hit that stubborn "I'm going to beat this" feeling in me. Nice job. But come on, this?, for real:

Also, I was terrified that the final screen would have some final troll-like trap, and I would not have enjoyed that at all. Fun level.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 23, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MonsterEnvy posted:

While I like the Super Mario World Style Koopalings. It's Ludwig was off to me and I just now figured out why. He lacks his bucktooth in that style.

He looks too much like his Mario 3 version.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Did any of the updates to this game ever make the online versus consistently playable?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DorianGravy posted:

I gave this a couple tries, but I'm having trouble getting used to the Mario 2 mushroom. I played Mario 2 back in the day (it was okay, but not my favorite Mario), but in this game it's strange to transition between bouncing off enemies, getting the mushroom and being able to pick them up, and then being unable to pick them up if you get hit again. I don't think it's a problem with your level; I just haven't been enjoying the Mario 2 mushroom in any levels I've played.

What do other people think: have you been enjoying the Mario 2 mushroom? Does it just take some getting used to?

It's getting a lot of people, it's not just you :v:

I've actually seen some pretty funny troll stuff with it where there's a single goomba surrounded by a pit. The answer is to just jump on it, then jump across the cliff using it as a platform, but so so many people land on it and expect to bounce only to run right off into the gap because that's not how Mario 2 works :v:

It really doesn't help that the enemy sprites don't get changed

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Internet Kraken posted:

Did any of the updates to this game ever make the online versus consistently playable?

Not really. It depends on who you’re connected with. Using an Ethernet adapter helps. Honestly I’m surprised it works as well as it does.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Ugh, I can't decide between uploading all my levels as I finish them or waiting until I have enough to debut a World.

By the by, is it possible to place just the chain chomp post without the chomp attached?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
If you come across a level you've finished before (possibly in Course World) in a world, do you get the option to mark it as cleared?

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

DorianGravy posted:

This was fun. I really liked the room with the three lightning mechakoopas. It startled me, and I ran back toward the door (too late). Once I understood what I was supposed to do (and I should have seen right away), I burst out laughing.

One of the problems when making a level is knowing the level inside out, and not knowing how people seeing it for the first time will react (or know the intention, the direction to gin, etc.). I'm glad that part worked out well.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Okay, here's my first attempt at an SMB2 level.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SeANMcBAY posted:

He looks too much like his Mario 3 version.

You sure they look pretty different to me.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Testing out World Maker, I just stringed together my existing levels in case someone would like to play through a disparate collection of traditional Mario levels: 6T7-K2B-V5G

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I honestly kinda wish they hadn't put the SMB2 mushroom in because it just makes me want a proper SMB2 style even more. Also it doesn't really play very well since you have to press down to lift enemies and the throw "physics" are slightly off. And it has the same problems as Link mode in that you will have to put the mushroom all over the place since you lose it when taking damage.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

DorianGravy posted:

I made my world, "Super Petrichor& World!"

Holy poo poo. This was brilliant. Unlike others though I find this super demotivating because I'll never make or have the patience to make something this intricate. I'm just glad I could play it. Great design and great fun.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Fun little intro level to Mario 2, can clear it pretty easy but getting to the bonus room is a lot tougher.

You're not kidding. Whew, some weird mechanics and that loving mask... but I did it!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I made one more level trying to use all the masks. No sub area and pretty short, hope it's as fun to play as I thought it was when making it :shobon:

Also put my Starlight levels together into a world. Gave the player the default 30 lives given people thought it was hard :v:.

Masks are weird but oh god I love the bullet bill mask. Someone mentioned Mine Cart levels, I think it could approximate.

Going to try Starlight World a bit later. You say it's tough but is it Kaizo stuff? I don't know those techniques.

Forktoss posted:

Testing out World Maker, I just stringed together my existing levels in case someone would like to play through a disparate collection of traditional Mario levels: 6T7-K2B-V5G

Quoting this to remind myself.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone else think it's weird that you can't drop the key? (edit: in general, I mean... I realize you've never been able to drop the key in MM as of yet)

Is that better or worse than having the option to do so?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You're not kidding. Whew, some weird mechanics and that loving mask... but I did it!

Masks are weird but oh god I love the bullet bill mask. Someone mentioned Mine Cart levels, I think it could approximate.

Going to try Starlight World a bit later. You say it's tough but is it Kaizo stuff? I don't know those techniques.

Starlight levels are all night time (that's the gimmick) so it's hard/tough platforming with whatever night-time gimmick thrown in. They're hard but quoting OneMoreTime "I feel like the clear rate on these is a little lower than it should be."

There's no Kaizo tricks, just tough.

And yeah I'm in love with the bullet bill mask. I'm making a world right now and including a bonus level in it and it's going to be all about that silly thing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I tested out making a world and threw in some of my auto scrollers in there. I haven't played this game in quite a while.

Boy my levels are a bit tough huh lol.

I'm definitely gonna take them and remaster them a bit and make them a bit easier for world purposes. There's a lot of jank I noticed playing it myself after not having played those levels for a long time. I watched other people play them, like OneMoreTime, who didn't have a ton of trouble with them, but coming in with fresh eyes there's definitely stuff I could change. In fact with future levels I'll probably release a level on its own as a tester and then have people play it and then redo the level to add to the world. There's like a max of 100 levels you can upload or something right?

Also it's not fair having to have this update and Animal Crossing happening at the same time.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It doesn't quite do what I want simply because the timer on it is so short. I have to figure out a way to build a level around picking up new ones as you go so you don't run out. But also building the level in a way that will send you back up to the top quickly since you can only go straight and fall, you can't propel yourself up. I'm also gonna have to see about making an auto scroller with the propeller.

I still would've really liked a simple mine cart that went forward on its own forever, let you jump, and didn't do anything else. The car and bullet bill can turn around so it's not completely ideal for what I want, and the car (I didn't test this on the bullet bill) is invincible going head on with most enemies so it's not ideal for that either.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 23, 2020

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I still would've really liked a simple mine cart that went forward on its own forever, let you jump, and didn't do anything else. The car and bullet bill can turn around so it's not completely ideal for what I want, and the car (I didn't test this on the bullet bill) is invincible going head on with most enemies so it's not ideal for that either.

I haven't much used the car, but how does it deal with spikes? Or Bouncy things because you could try a fast auto-scroller (so no turning is allowed) and those sort of obstacles to provide your jumps. From what I remember from Tropical Freeze the hardest thing isn't necessarily the enemies but making the jumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The car goes faster than the auto scroll sadly

What I need is a DKCR maker