Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Sapper raids don't use their single-shot rocket launchers to dig. There's always a grenade guy or a guy with a melee weapon who goes in front that does all the digging, either with grenades or by just mining. If you snipe all the sappers they'll path like a normal raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Danaru posted:

I dont know what causes it, but if you use dev mode to kill and resurrect the pawn, everything starts working again

Thanks! That worked! :D

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The advantage of multiple lines of walls is that for some reason, the AI doesn't usually burrow straight through. They'll breach a wall, then walk along the next wall to find a different place to breach. You can fill the dead space in-between the walls with traps, or just go to town with mortars (my preferred strategy).

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

my colonist went insane from having food poisoning, and started pigging out... on more of the tainted meals

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Giving myself extra posion to own the libs.

E: I was reading up on that pawn morpher mod and I just have this nagging idea of making a skaven colony where I play as like, clan moulder and make horrible mutants all day.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 22, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

Whoever is trying to do the taming isn't allowed into the area where the food is, most likely.

Alternately it's a mod animal with a weird diet; occasionally modders do dumb poo poo like making animals that only eat corpses, for example.

Yeah this was it, thank you, I'd forgot to take the tamer off bunkering after an attack.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol a raid of tribes people with spears and bows came onto the map from the same direction a weapons trade caravan was exiting and got slaughtered

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

anyone know why this setup doesnt work to keep these rooms cool?

its set for like 10 degrees, but both rooms are at at least 30, this set up can keep 2 rooms at like 24 no issues though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

queeb posted:

anyone know why this setup doesnt work to keep these rooms cool?

its set for like 10 degrees, but both rooms are at at least 30, this set up can keep 2 rooms at like 24 no issues though

So, temperature is a bit weird, it's simulated on a per-room basis.

So what's happening there is that you are cooling that small central tile to, presumably, 10 degrees, and each simulation tick that 1 tile of 10 degree air is propagating to the two bedrooms, very slightly pushing their temperature down, and greatly warming the 1 tile.

The other set up, conversely, is cooling the entire northern room, which is equalizing with the southern room, which is of a similar size and thus, similar thermal mass.

What I advise is putting the cooler in the corridor outside all those rooms, and then venting into them. The corridor will serve well as a ventilation system and will have a high thermal mass to disperse into all the other rooms. Also roofing in that corridor will help to stop all your individual rooms leaking temperature into the environment, better insulation.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 22, 2020

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

oh hey yeah that fixed it, i just deleted the vent and made it part of the one room, left the bottom vent and both are fine now.

oh holy poo poo yeah. I rejiggered things to look like this:

made it a corridor, roofed it, vented into each room, and one cooler is holding the entire area at like 22.

queeb fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 22, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yep, you got it. Big enclosed corridors are great for climate control and also they don't rain on people or get covered in snow in the winter.

There's no real downside to building giant interconnected complexes in rimworld, rather than individual buildings. The game really encourages the opposite actually. The only real reason to have outdoor spaces is to satisfy outdoor need, but even then it's generally better to make dedicated spaces for that. There's a mod that adds windows which can take advantage of exterior walls to light and add beauty, but the base game is happy with sprawling megacomplexes.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 22, 2020

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

this game is amazing.

also i just got all that set up and a volcanic winter happens. guess i gotta turn the heaters on instead!

also 4 5x7 crops really shits out a ton of food. im at 6000 raw right now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you got a volcanic winter you might be glad of that stockpile, it can take a long time for those to clear and you might not be able to grow outside for a while. Fortunately if it gets cold enough you can build a shed and stuff all your food in it to keep it cold for free.

Big food stockpiles are very much desired in the game until you can get climate controlled growing, and even then it's good to keep a stockpile. Ideally you'd convert as much as possible to survival meals for longevity and compact storage but a big ol' granary full of corn or something works too early on.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

update

Pey is now an esquire, so i gave her another psychic amplifier, and also i got a psychic harmonizer from quest so i tossed that in her brain too. now shes a walking aura of mood boosting since she is always pretty happy.

still volcanic winter, pretty sure its been half a year now at least.

queeb fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 22, 2020

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Pretty good first colony, you've already got the system down to heat and cool a hallway and vent off of that.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

ive been messing around more with pawnmorpher and i have discovered that cobra serum can turn your guys into rad snakemen, and if they change enough their legs turn into tails and they get a poison bite and the game calls them nagas.

now i have a secret mountain base of... WEED COBRAS. they grow weed and induct new recruits into their ranks using the cobra serum. any prisoners they take who seem like dickheads just get fed the growing green slime to see what happens.

a former human fission mouse joined the base, and he's pretty helpful, but because he is somewhere between human and an animal he can take drugs, but i can't restrict his drug intake, so he's been smoking joints the same size as him and now he has lung cancer:

he's sat at the dining table with his massive joint, next to a weed cobra enjoying her dinner.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

That's a might big zzzt waiting to happen.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Please keep me updated about the adventures of weedmouse.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

queeb posted:

also 4 5x7 crops really shits out a ton of food. im at 6000 raw right now

Nice. A little Biofuel Refining and that 6000 food can be an awful lot of chemfuel which is an awful lot of land mines.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

HelloSailorSign posted:

That's a might big zzzt waiting to happen.

Shhh I'm waiting for the post mortem.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

OwlFancier posted:

Yep, you got it. Big enclosed corridors are great for climate control and also they don't rain on people or get covered in snow in the winter.

There's no real downside to building giant interconnected complexes in rimworld, rather than individual buildings. The game really encourages the opposite actually. The only real reason to have outdoor spaces is to satisfy outdoor need, but even then it's generally better to make dedicated spaces for that. There's a mod that adds windows which can take advantage of exterior walls to light and add beauty, but the base game is happy with sprawling megacomplexes.

Controlling fires is easier with firebreaks, if you’re building out of flammable materials. That’s pretty much all the upside I can think of to separate buildings.

Subjectively, I think it looks nicer to have a compound with separate buildings.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vengarr posted:

Controlling fires is easier with firebreaks, if you’re building out of flammable materials. That’s pretty much all the upside I can think of to separate buildings.

Subjectively, I think it looks nicer to have a compound with separate buildings.

True, sort of, but that's still an issue if you build too close together.

I also wish there were more mechanical reasons to have outdoor corridors but I even roof over my outdoor paths through fields, though I often leave the sides open.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

OwlFancier posted:

True, sort of, but that's still an issue if you build too close together.

I also wish there were more mechanical reasons to have outdoor corridors but I even roof over my outdoor paths through fields, though I often leave the sides open.

make them wider and stick a wind turbine in them

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

how do i stop my guys tracking mud through the base and causing a sanity destroying level of filth?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Pave everything and have someone cleaning full time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah pave your paths so they aren't walking in poo poo, but filth will still generate just ambiently.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

Please keep me updated about the adventures of weedmouse.

he's been having a tough time, he walked through a spike trap and it went off and chopped off his tail, but things have just turned around for marky the weedmouse!

remission!

misguided rage posted:

Pave everything and have someone cleaning full time.

i was hoping there was another answer cause i have this nice base with an outdoor area:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want to preserve natural areas while keeping your pawns on paths then you need something to force pawns to use paved paths, which means modding. I usually run fencing along paths to keep the little bastards on them, but there may be mods that let you restrict access to areas for pathing purposes.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I guess i'll just live with my horrible dirty base. It used to be clean but Marky the Weedmouse had a mental breakdown after he was diagnosed with lung cancer and regressed to a more animalistic state so he doesn't clean on his own any more. I'm thinking of promoting him to full cobra status once I have the technology in place to do it. I will miss him as a weed mouse but he seems pretty unhappy and I'm worried he will regress totally and become a full mouse.

i came up with a pretty clever solution to an insect invasion in my prison. it was 4 hives in a very small space and I only have very basic guns and barely any skilled soldiers, so there was no chance of me clearing that place normally. I had an incendiary launcher that was dropped in my base by a previous raid, so I opened up the door to the prison and had my best cobra fire grenade after grenade into the entryway. once enough fires got going I had them close the door and the temp inside the jail skyrocketed. the bugs all started freaking the gently caress out and trying to burrow into random walls, but pretty soon they passed out from heatstroke.

I kind of wanted to claim the royal jelly and insect chitin for myself, but it was just death to go in there. the corpses started auto-combusting from the heat in the air and made it even hotter. I was hoping a steel door would protect my one actual prisoner, but I guess it wasn't insulating enough and he cooked too:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so gunturrets explode when damaged, that was fun to find out!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Smart, cleansing flame is the best way to deal with infestations that are beyond your ability to fight conventionally.

Also a good tip for your weed mouse in case the cancer comes back: you can go to the operations menu in the health tab to remove organs and body parts that are infected, cancerous etc. as a last resort to prevent the pawn from dying. Then you can replace it with a prosthetic or transplanted organ. Doesn't work for stuff like hearts or torso where they would just die immediately, but helps a lot of the time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you mean belligerent landmines.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

Smart, cleansing flame is the best way to deal with infestations that are beyond your ability to fight conventionally.

Remember that if you got a massive fire raging inside, opening a door equalizes temperature slowly, while blowing a hole in the wall instantly equalizes the room's temperature to the outside.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

queeb posted:

so gunturrets explode when damaged, that was fun to find out!

Yes, though not always. Put them a short distance away from where you’re going to put your colonists and space them so explosions won’t damage either other and cause a chain reaction.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so i was mining away and saw a part of a wall, so i deconstructed it and there were loving robots inside, 5 of them. so that pawn ran the gently caress home, and i gatehred up the other 6 and set up a firing line across the water. somehow killed all the robots using bows and poo poo guns with minor injuries. and now there's 6 cryopods to open

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You do normally get a warning the first time you touch one of those walls.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The raid that attacked my village came at night. They had guns but we had greatbows and fortifications on the other side of the bridge. The raiders were brave and died honorably, but they died to a person. Before their doomed assault each man and woman among them had drank their fill of beer and carried some on their person as well.

The beer they carried fell when their bodies did. As the brave decayed, the local rabbits got turnt.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Not sure what kind of animals they have on rim-worlds but apparently every last one of them is some kind of crack head. Raised a small group of velocitaptors so I could have haulers in my green house zone that wouldn't munch on the loving devilstrand or something. They were hauling psychite leaves to my drug den money making area as well for the same reason before I noticed they were getting loving blasted on flake.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
I'm still on my first playthough, finally got round to emptying the cryptosleep caskets 3 years in. Would have thought the dudes inside would be poor as poo poo, and not all kitted out in marine and recon armour with LMG's!
Bumrushed them with my dudes while they were all rolling over the floor vomiting over each other, and have them all locked up bare-assed in prison dorm while I replace thier bionics with peg arms and legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

queeb posted:

so i was mining away and saw a part of a wall, so i deconstructed it and there were loving robots inside, 5 of them. so that pawn ran the gently caress home, and i gatehred up the other 6 and set up a firing line across the water. somehow killed all the robots using bows and poo poo guns with minor injuries. and now there's 6 cryopods to open

Wait until your injuries are healed and you have a prison ready before you open them.