Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Humphreys posted:

Sorry it's a Linus video but please people don't use Zoom! For those working at home this could could as OSH or WPHS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ7mSpVyIJo

“But Zoom has the Brady Bunch view! :swoon:” - every manager at my employer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Blue Moonlight posted:

“But Zoom has the Brady Bunch view! :swoon:” - every manager at my employer

Google Hangouts Grid Extension is very nice, if you use Hangouts/Meet you should install it.

Security finally got around to actively blocking TeamViewer, so we've been crunching hard on finding a way to let lab managers have instrument vendor techs remote in. Hangouts won't let you share control of a system, so we tried out WebEx and Zoom. WebEx has a horrible interface and is very tricky, Zoom is slick, easy to use, and you can actually figure stuff out by looking at the interface. We're recommending starting a Zoom session on the instrument and inviting the vendor, then passing control so they can fix something or install software.

Yes, Security has our corporate Zoom accounts locked down with mandatory passwords, waiting rooms, and such. I'm just recommending that people not publicly announce a conference call about a patent application for a new molecule.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

mllaneza posted:

Google Hangouts Grid Extension is very nice, if you use Hangouts/Meet you should install it.

Security finally got around to actively blocking TeamViewer, so we've been crunching hard on finding a way to let lab managers have instrument vendor techs remote in. Hangouts won't let you share control of a system, so we tried out WebEx and Zoom. WebEx has a horrible interface and is very tricky, Zoom is slick, easy to use, and you can actually figure stuff out by looking at the interface. We're recommending starting a Zoom session on the instrument and inviting the vendor, then passing control so they can fix something or install software.

Yes, Security has our corporate Zoom accounts locked down with mandatory passwords, waiting rooms, and such. I'm just recommending that people not publicly announce a conference call about a patent application for a new molecule.

Would like to know what you come up with. Personally I have 2 windows 10 machines both connected via ethernet to the same router but I can't use RDP without buying another Win 10 Pro license.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

The Lone Badger posted:

I've done that. It's just sap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_1z3Ro23jM&t=105s

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

mllaneza posted:

Can you talk about what the problem(s) are with TeamViewer?

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

redgubbinz posted:

I wonder what happened to that guy, his last video was 2 years ago. He's gone on hiatus before and I would worry he got a little too involved in one of his 'experiments'

He and his first wife divorced at some point (probably because she got sick of living below the lair of a mad scientist), he met and married another woman from India and then had massive issues getting her a marriage visa to the point he was super depressed and suicidal. He posted a video explaining it all on his channel, deleted it a short while later and hasn't been heard from since.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Can you talk about what the problem(s) are with TeamViewer?

They had a massive security breach a while back, and refused to admit to it despite many top security experts showing it. I think there was also something similar recently which uncovered a security issue with their unattended access and passwords.

Whipstickagostop fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 22, 2020

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh man, the WOW sensor reminded me of what an old factory mechanic told me once. A bunch of old dudes would HATE new cranes, for the sole purpose that they had load weight measuring circuitry and such. Why? They actually had to follow load limits or the crane stopped "working" (it would not extend past a certain point, wouldn't raise, etc). Basically they would eyeball the load and go "it's safe!" Since most of these cranes were leased or rented, defeating it would all but certainly incur heavy repercussions from the company if they had to be called in for repairs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

iospace posted:

Oh man, the WOW sensor reminded me of what an old factory mechanic told me once. A bunch of old dudes would HATE new cranes, for the sole purpose that they had load weight measuring circuitry and such. Why? They actually had to follow load limits or the crane stopped "working" (it would not extend past a certain point, wouldn't raise, etc). Basically they would eyeball the load and go "it's safe!" Since most of these cranes were leased or rented, defeating it would all but certainly incur heavy repercussions from the company if they had to be called in for repairs.

So fun fact: I actually learned how to do load chart calculations yesterday. Something that constantly trips up operators doing their certification exams, because it's the part that requires math.

The math is barely fifth grade level. Almost everything is basic addition and subtraction. Learning to calculate it is literally just reading the chart and the notes and plugging in numbers. I had it down in an hour and all of that was just learning the basic rules and what parts of the charts were important to note.

For example, let's say you show up at a job with a crane to lift a 4700 pound air conditioner unit onto a roof. You take 4700 pounds, add the weight of your rigging (which should all be labeled with its weight already or provided by the manufacturer and listed on the load chart for the crane it came with) and the weight of any attachments or an extended jib (again, listed on the chart), and that gives you your gross capacity. You then look at the capacities listed on the chart and you find whichever one is equal to or higher capacity (always err on the side of caution and have excess capacity rather than too little) and that gives you the safe boom length, load radius, and often angles that you can operate at.

All it takes a little measuring and thinking before the job and you can put the crane exactly where it needs to be and know you're operating safely. There is absolutely no excuse for that bullshit and I will beat anyone who thinks so.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

So fun fact: I actually learned how to do load chart calculations yesterday. Something that constantly trips up operators doing their certification exams, because it's the part that requires math.

The math is barely fifth grade level. Almost everything is basic addition and subtraction. Learning to calculate it is literally just reading the chart and the notes and plugging in numbers. I had it down in an hour and all of that was just learning the basic rules and what parts of the charts were important to note.

For example, let's say you show up at a job with a crane to lift a 4700 pound air conditioner unit onto a roof. You take 4700 pounds, add the weight of your rigging (which should all be labeled with its weight already or provided by the manufacturer and listed on the load chart for the crane it came with) and the weight of any attachments or an extended jib (again, listed on the chart), and that gives you your gross capacity. You then look at the capacities listed on the chart and you find whichever one is equal to or higher capacity (always err on the side of caution and have excess capacity rather than too little) and that gives you the safe boom length, load radius, and often angles that you can operate at.

All it takes a little measuring and thinking before the job and you can put the crane exactly where it needs to be and know you're operating safely. There is absolutely no excuse for that bullshit and I will beat anyone who thinks so.

Most Americans can't do fifth grade math, unfortunately.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I assume that those 2x4s are being supported by the lower ladders?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Cojawfee posted:

I assume that those 2x4s are being supported by the lower ladders?

It's ladders all the way down

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:magical:

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

That HAS to be an angled roof... right?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Messadiah posted:

90 degrees is an angle, yes.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Messadiah posted:

Yeah, you can pick out vertical elements below the ladder to compare. The bendt pipe, or the corner by the burgundy sweater.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

The math is barely fifth grade level. Almost everything is basic addition and subtraction. Learning to calculate it is literally just reading the chart and the notes and plugging in numbers.

There is absolutely no excuse for that bullshit and I will beat anyone who thinks so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Are_You_Smarter_than_a_5th_Grader%3F

"Only two contestants have attempted to answer the final question and done so correctly"

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Arrhythmia posted:

Most Americans can't do fifth grade math, unfortunately.

I've probably posted about it before but I was in an intro boiler class and we got derailed when the teacher checked to make sure everyone could calculate volume and had to stop to explain what diameter and radius are.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

glynnenstein posted:

I've probably posted about it before but I was in an intro boiler class and we got derailed when the teacher checked to make sure everyone could calculate volume and had to stop to explain what diameter and radius are.

I was in a college class on basic electric circuits and a guy asked about 3/4 of the way through the semester how to find the current given the voltage and resistance. V=IR was literally the first lesson.

The prof just said "if you don't know this by now, you're in trouble" and moved on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HelleSpud posted:

"Only two contestants have attempted to answer the final question and done so correctly"

The name of this game show is kind of specious because (1) half the questions are the sorts of things you learn in 5th grade and immediately forget because they're useless, like the dates of Revolutionary War battles, and (2) the showrunners have clearly instructed the competitors to ham up their indecisiveness and pretend not to know the answers to things. I saw an episode once where the contestant was a loving astronaut and he was apparently unable to remember the pythagorean theorem. Like really

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Ain't no triangles in space.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

redgubbinz posted:

I wonder what happened to that guy, his last video was 2 years ago. He's gone on hiatus before and I would worry he got a little too involved in one of his 'experiments'

He's a right wing shithead and his right wing shithead policies are preventing his mail order wife moving to the UK. He's so sad and weepy that the Leopords Eating People's Faces party he voted for is currently eating his face, so he can't make videos. He deleted the video he made about it, probably because it exposed what a massive piece of poo poo he is. Dude is 100% a red pill/men's rights activist and it's gross as gently caress.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HelleSpud posted:

Does that mean anything, though? One of those questions was identifying what state one of the less famous national parks is in. There's literally no reason to know that if you're not a state park buff or live in the area.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

MisterOblivious posted:

He's a right wing shithead and his right wing shithead policies are preventing his mail order wife moving to the UK. He's so sad and weepy that the Leopords Eating People's Faces party he voted for is currently eating his face, so he can't make videos. He deleted the video he made about it, probably because it exposed what a massive piece of poo poo he is. Dude is 100% a red pill/men's rights activist and it's gross as gently caress.

Well, poo poo.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/JEoYoCy.mp4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

https://i.imgur.com/G0d3QVd.mp4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I love a good OSHA thread fakeout.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/p8C8IhU.mp4

starkebn
May 18, 2004

this is a beauty

https://imgur.com/gallery/NzB57ep

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

It makes perfect sense that there's a hydraulic ramp specifically designed to load/unload things like that but I've seen so many fail videos that I assumed they didn't exist.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Xakura posted:

In think the pool might be closed. Also empty.

Then full. Then empty. Then full.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Bad Munki posted:

I mean, Zoom was lovely for all those valid points, and there are still outstanding problems, but there’s a lot of FUD in that video as well. For instance, Google and NASA aren’t banning Zoom, lol. I was literally in a Zoom meeting with Google and NASA yesterday, with the latter group being the one to set up the meeting and conferencing.

There have been a couple brief periods where it was more like “don’t use Zoom until we figure out what’s up” but then a few days later it’s back on the menu.

I work for a company in the same category as Google. Our chief of security banned it and told the patching team to force uninstall on 100% of hosts ASAP. There's some talk about adjusting that ban for a variety of reasons, but yeah, poo poo's legit banned.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Shocking disregard for safety.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

MisterOblivious posted:

Really? Where does he come across as right wing? I always thought he was a bit odd in an "I want to have sex with all this electricity" way but he never seemed to be massively right wing/MRA/gammon to me.

*EDIT*

Garrand posted:

Would this be the video in question?
https://youtube.com/watch?v=b8EwYOwplyw

I only watched a couple minutes but it starts off by complaining about uk women. In the comments it does say he managed to bring his bride to the uk eventually

Yeah that was the video, must have not been paying attention during the first part. "The government gives women too much money to have kids and be single so they don't need a man" , jesus...

Whipstickagostop fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 23, 2020

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Would this be the video in question?
https://youtube.com/watch?v=b8EwYOwplyw

I only watched a couple minutes but it starts off by complaining about uk women. In the comments it does say he managed to bring his bride to the uk eventually

Garrand fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Apr 23, 2020

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Whipstickagostop posted:

Really? Where does he come across as right wing? I always thought he was a bit odd in an "I want to have sex with all this electricity" way but he never seemed to be massively right wing/MRA/gammon to me.

The video he deleted was linked in the prior reply. It takes him less than 2 minutes to start bitching about a women abusing social services.

Keep in mind that people provide the absolute best one-sided version of the story when they tell it, and he comes off as a MRA shithead in the best possible telling of the story.

He met his Indian wife over the internet and tried to bring her into the country on a tourist visa. When that failed he tried to bring his internet wife and her mother into the country on tourist visas.

He was declined because he failed to provide his source of income, YouTube, which he stopped posting on. He literally used the income stream he stopped using as the way he'd support Indian bride. Oficials didn't buy his "I make 50 grand a year" despite not posting videos.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

https://twitter.com/calcalist/status/1252875598654930955

It's hard to see but there's already one beam on the ground at the start of the clip.

Don't Ask fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 23, 2020

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Injuries incompatible with drive.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/qkgPlU7.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

gently caress, milkshake duck'd again