Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I can't really complain about Charlotte, I've never had the misfortune to find myself there. I had a roommate some 20 years ago who was from there and he left an impression, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

French hospital dives deeper into epidemiological data suggesting smokers are less likely to catch the 'rona, find enough meat to start putting their covid patients on nic patches and call for wide-scale trial

https://www.qeios.com/read/article/571

quote:

Nicotine may be suggested as a potential preventive agent against Covid-19 infection. Both the epidemiological/clinical evidence and the in silico findings may suggest that Covid-19 infection is a nAChR disease that could be prevented and may be controlled by nicotine. Nicotine would then sterically or allosterically compete with the SARS-CoV-2 binding to the nAChR. This legitimates the use of nicotine as a protective agent against SARS-CoV-2 infection and the subsequent deficits it causes in the CNS. Thus, in order to prevent the infection and the retro-propagation of the virus through the CNS, we plan a therapeutic assay against Covid-19 with nicotine (and other nicotinic agents) patches or other delivery methods (like sniffing/chewing) in hospitalized patients and in the general population

In conclusion, we propose, and try to justify, the hypothesis that nAChRs play a critical role in the pathophysiology of SARS-CoV-2 infection and as a consequence propose nicotine and nicotinic orthosteric and/or allosteric agents as a possible therapy for SARS-CoV-2 infection. Interestingly, ivermectin, which has been recently shown to inhibit the replication of SARS-CoV-2 in cells in vitro [53], is a positive allosteric modulator of a7 nAChR [54]. The nicotinic hypothesis might be further challenged by additional clinical studies and by experimental observations determining whether SARS-CoV-2 physically interacts with the nAChR in vitro, for instance by electrophysiological recordings, high resolution EM and by animal model studies. Further work should also specify the still enigmatic relationships between ACE2 and nAChRs in the nervous system.

One should not forget that nicotine is a drug of abuse (53) responsible for smoking addiction. Smoking has severe pathological consequences and remains a serious danger for health. Yet under controlled settings, Nicotinic agents could provide an efficient treatment for an acute infection such as Covid-19.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ded posted:

Oh look, more unreported deaths. This time WAY before anyone thought poo poo was going down.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52385558

I hope that those who die get tested so we can see the true numbers.

the federal government doesnt actually want that to happen

edit : oh and covid is causing large arterial clots in people under 50

Christ almighty, maybe that weird horrible sore throat I had at the end of January was Covid after all.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Even Trump is saying it's a bad idea lmao

https://twitter.com/jfruh/status/1253091187851882497

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

shame on an IGA posted:

French hospital dives deeper into epidemiological data suggesting smokers are less likely to catch the 'rona, find enough meat to start putting their covid patients on nic patches and call for wide-scale trial

https://www.qeios.com/read/article/571

alive with flavor

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried.

Special Report: Former Labradoodle breeder tapped to lead U.S. pandemic task force

quote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - On January 21, the day the first U.S. case of coronavirus was reported, the secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services appeared on Fox News to report the latest on the disease as it ravaged China. Alex Azar, a 52-year-old lawyer and former drug industry executive, assured Americans the U.S. government was prepared.

“We developed a diagnostic test at the CDC, so we can confirm if somebody has this,” Azar said. “We will be spreading that diagnostic around the country so that we are able to do rapid testing on site.”

While coronavirus in Wuhan, China, was “potentially serious,” Azar assured viewers in America, it “was one for which we have a playbook.”

Azar’s initial comments misfired on two fronts. Like many U.S. officials, from President Donald Trump on down, he underestimated the pandemic’s severity. He also overestimated his agency’s preparedness.

As is now widely known, two agencies Azar oversaw as HHS secretary, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration, wouldn’t come up with viable tests for five and half weeks, even as other countries and the World Health Organization had already prepared their own.

Shortly after his televised comments, Azar tapped a trusted aide with minimal public health experience to lead the agency’s day-to-day response to COVID-19. The aide, Brian Harrison, had joined the department after running a dog-breeding business for six years. Five sources say some officials in the White House derisively called him “the dog breeder.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...e-idUSKCN2243CE

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Flashbacks to GWB's head of Katrina response being an Arabian horse breeder or something similar

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Porfiriato posted:

Flashbacks to GWB's head of Katrina response being an Arabian horse breeder or something similar

Good ol' Brownie!

quote:

Before joining FEMA, Brown was the Judges and Stewards Commissioner for the International Arabian Horse Association from 1989-2001. After numerous lawsuits were filed against the organization over disciplinary actions that Brown took against members violating the association's code of ethics,[11] Brown resigned and negotiated a buy-out of his contract.

A March 2000 two-part report in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, chronicling one of the disciplinary actions, lauded Brown for pursuing an investigation against David Boggs, "the kingpin of the Arabian horse world", despite internal pressure to end the inquiry.[12] The Brown-led investigation found Boggs performed medically unnecessary surgery on horses to enhance their visual appeal. An ethics board suspended Boggs for five years. Boggs protested through multiple lawsuits against both the organization and Brown, alleging slander and defamation. Brown and the International Arabian Horse Association prevailed in each of the lawsuits brought by Boggs but the lawsuits nonetheless took a financial toll. Some members interviewed felt Brown showed an imperious attitude, and nicknamed him "The Czar."[13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_D._Brown

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Porfiriato posted:

He was the pimp that supplied Mike Pence.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Christ almighty, maybe that weird horrible sore throat I had at the end of January was Covid after all.

My sister is an ICU nurse in hawaii, and is now pretty sure that the three weeks of debilitating sickness she had at the end of January was actually Covid caught from a tourist in the ICU, before it blew up. She had all the symptoms and it was the sickest she's ever been.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I can't really complain about Charlotte, I've never had the misfortune to find myself there. I had a roommate some 20 years ago who was from there and he left an impression, I guess.

Thankfully not from here and getting back to a real state as soon as possible. This place is loving weird. No local ties also means a lack of interaction with the sickies and me skipping away uninfected hopefully

Stravag fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 23, 2020

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

M_Gargantua posted:

My sister is an ICU nurse in hawaii, and is now pretty sure that the three weeks of debilitating sickness she had at the end of January was actually Covid caught from a tourist in the ICU, before it blew up. She had all the symptoms and it was the sickest she's ever been.

My family is slowly realizing that my cousin, who was in and out of hospitals for bone marrow transplants and other medical procedures due to his stage 4 cancer, might have actually died of the covid in late January. We don't know and there's no real way to figure it out, but he was in the hospital with all of the major symptoms and the doctors couldn't figure out why they couldn't stop the progression of whatever he had.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I was fortunate that my terminal leave ended right before the lockdowns started and I was easily able to apply for unemployment on WAs website during off hours. Max unemployment benefits in WA are $790 a week. If I had moved back to FL where my family live the max is $245 per week and that's if you're even able to login into their intentionally broken system.

WA benefits alone is more than enough to cover my living expenses, the extra $600 for covid19 is crazy. Hopefully the economy will be somewhat recovering and I'll be to find a job by the time my unemployment runs out.

Still planning on going back to school with the GI bill, I figure it's definitely a good time to get it done while the economy is recovering.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
But yeah I'm definitely never leaving the west coast, closest thing to living in the US somewhere like the rest of the first world

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He was the pimp that supplied Mike Pence.

I feel like Mike Pence might be getting abused these days and could use a pimp to protect him.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

piL posted:

I feel like Mike Pence might be getting abused these days and could use a pimp to protect him.

I mean he supplied the Vice President with horses to gently caress. Because Mike Pence is on the record as partaking of horsecock.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mustang posted:

But yeah I'm definitely never leaving the west coast, closest thing to living in the US somewhere like the rest of the first world

The West Coast up to about Portland is going to be borderline uninhabitable in like 15-20 years at the current progression of climate change, so...maybe don't buy a house?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Mustang posted:

I was fortunate that my terminal leave ended right before the lockdowns started and I was easily able to apply for unemployment on WAs website during off hours. Max unemployment benefits in WA are $790 a week. If I had moved back to FL where my family live the max is $245 per week and that's if you're even able to login into their intentionally broken system.

WA benefits alone is more than enough to cover my living expenses, the extra $600 for covid19 is crazy. Hopefully the economy will be somewhat recovering and I'll be to find a job by the time my unemployment runs out.

Still planning on going back to school with the GI bill, I figure it's definitely a good time to get it done while the economy is recovering.

So you did get out after all, congratulations! Do something IT related if you can tolerate it, even during the pandemic the IT companies here are hiring all over the place.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

facialimpediment posted:

It gets worse:

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1252986286694182919?s=19

He's bored and yelling at the teevee again.

Just imagine what he'd do if he heard about Russian ships getting too close for comfort! Tell Putin he'll pay for any damage that might have occurred

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wasabi the J posted:

That's just the cases we know about.

Russia has a suspiciously low death to confirmation rate.

By the time the actual figures cease to become state secrets we'll be in the midst of global warming and it'll be entirely possible that we never know truly how many actually died from corona!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I described my fascination with it to my line of psychiatrists the past few months, like when the asylums were emptied in France during WWII. Crazies came out of their pens and took the war like it was a sunday afternoon.

I've never herad about this

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I don't think I've ever seen numbers like these in the Trump era. Very recent field dates, so the numbers are legit.

https://twitter.com/Morning_Joe/status/1253267654632181760?s=19

https://twitter.com/ChrisLu44/status/1253281133636313089?s=19

As of right now, the astroturf isn't sticking and even Republicans want Trump to not even come close to touching these things. Too late!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Milo and POTUS posted:

I've never herad about this

Trying to find the thing I heard or read about it and I'm seeing where mostly they starved in their asylums. I know I've seen it somewhere but I can't place it.

Mustang, good on you for getting out. Congrats.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Got this from my apt complex today.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Ataxerxes posted:

So you did get out after all, congratulations! Do something IT related if you can tolerate it, even during the pandemic the IT companies here are hiring all over the place.

Doubling down on this statement. IT is hiring ESPECIALLY on the west coast right now. My inbox is flooded with jobs from the west coast. Right now everyone wants python devs, security guys, and linux guys.

Get started with one of those, then if you get tired of pounding on keyboards, go the management route with ITIL, PMP/SCRUM, and claiming you are incharge of developers.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I work with a couple Microsoft contractors who are all marines. They say Microsoft loves hiring vets, even if they don't have a strong IT background.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Woofer posted:

Got this from my apt complex today.

That's odd. If it's not a high dollar heated / electric bidet then installing one is just re-routing the toilet fill line to a T-connector below the bidet.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I have to wonder if they didn’t think to/know how to turn off the water to the toilet before they installed it, and panicked when things started leaking.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

That Works posted:

That's odd. If it's not a high dollar heated / electric bidet then installing one is just re-routing the toilet fill line to a T-connector below the bidet.

Does a bidet not need a drain? Because I'm pretty sure they need a drain, which means cutting a hole in the floor and tying into the sewer pipe. That would cause all sorts of fun problems.

I mean a full out separate bidet, not the quick fix attach to your current toilet type.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 23, 2020

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

If it's one of those toilet-seat mounted bidets, the drain is...the toilet. You blast your butthole with water from the tank feed line, the poo poo water collects in the bowl, you flush the poo poo water. Bing bong so simple.
European style stand-alone bidet require installation similar to a standard toilet.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Does a bidet not need a drain? Because I'm pretty sure they need a drain, which means cutting a hole in the floor and tying into the sewer pipe. That would cause all sorts of fun problems.

No. It installs under your toilet seat. You unscrew the seat, put it in place, and then screw the seat back down over the top. It has a feed hose that connects at the back of the toilet to the feed line. They're super easy to install. I personally have a luxe neo 120 and installed a 320 at my girlfriend's apartment.

https://www.amazon.com/Luxe-Bidet-Neo-120-Non-Electric/dp/B00A0RHSJO

e: you edited after I posted, but people aren't buying stand alone bidets and trying to put them in. They're spending $30 on stuff like I linked above.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, I'm pretty sneaky about my posts.

I was thinking they installed a full out bidet. Because that would be a hilarious mess in an apartment.

I might look into one of those seat ones. I'm down to a sixer of poo poo tickets.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sneaky about my posts.

I was thinking they installed a full out bidet. Because that would be a hilarious mess in an apartment.

I might look into one of those seat ones. I'm down to a sixer of poo poo tickets.

You will almost immediately notice a difference in the amount of TP you use. I used to go through a lot. Now I just dry and go with a single wipe. It's so much better. I bought a single 12 pack of TP more than a month ago and haven't ran out.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm a roll a week guy. I keep a few rolls aside to use as regular tissue. All the weed smoking has me constantly producing plenty of nose turds.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Trying to find the thing I heard or read about it and I'm seeing where mostly they starved in their asylums. I know I've seen it somewhere but I can't place it.

Mustang, good on you for getting out. Congrats.

Robert Evans talked about it or something similar on his It Could Happen Here podcast i think.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I mean a full out separate bidet, not the quick fix attach to your current toilet type.

Yeah if they were installing a freestanding bidet. If they did that in an apartment they are a moron, those are expensive anyways. The little toilet seat attached one I mentioned are like $30-60 and work great, just drains into the toilet.

I had one in the house before this poo poo started, got one right when it started ramping up. Toilet paper usage is much lower.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

It's also possible that the apartment management is blowing poo poo out of proportion. I've lived in poo poo holes that tried to charge me for the dryer vent hole that their maintenance people put in.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My last complex would totally try to screw you out of every penny they could. Current place is surprisingly chill, but I've gotten to know some of the staff here and have had long conversations with them that dabble into my heavily apologized for crazy spells. It's the only reason I put a weed plant and grow lamp in my closet, they don't care about me because my rent is always in on the first.

citybeatnik posted:

Robert Evans talked about it or something similar on his It Could Happen Here podcast i think.

I was thinking it was him, or Dan Carlin, that I heard it from, but I remember reading something about it as well somewhere. Meh, brain fog will lift eventually.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 23, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/parkermolloy/status/1253305441486098437?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

It's also possible that the apartment management is blowing poo poo out of proportion. I've lived in poo poo holes that tried to charge me for the dryer vent hole that their maintenance people put in.

That message really sounds like someone did something incredibly stupid and flooded an apartment.