Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Okay, sorry, but can someone explain "Gov Klu Klux Klan robes" to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Ratspeaker posted:

Gov Northam had a blackface scandal.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ratspeaker posted:

The governor had that blackface scandal

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Double post

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

socialsecurity posted:

What gets me is all the people that talk about the Biden/DNC/Mainstream media conspiracy to destroy Bernie are the same people who shouted down even the slightest discussion of the Russian effect on 2016 because any talk of that was us simply distracting from Hillary's bad campaign.

I'm going to guess there's no point in replying to this with anything but endless laughter

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Kro-Bar posted:

Gov Northam had a blackface scandal.

Oh neat, so we've managed to find the one protestor who's NOT cool with that.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ratspeaker posted:

Sometimes they twist themselves into enough rhetorical knots to believe it's race mixing.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Ratspeaker posted:

Moral consistency isn't required. Anything to tarnish a Democrat is fair game. Hence concern over Hunter Biden but none over any Trump org/Jared Kushner bullshit.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And there's a good chance that Bernie dropped out because the Democrats had demonstated they would gladly continue marching their base to their deaths until he did.

This is a really dumb talking point.

There was more going on in Wisconsin than just the Democratic primaries, and more than just the presidential primary at that.

The Democratic governor of the state tried to push back the primary but the GOP controlled State Supreme Court (of which one of the seats was up for reelection) struck that down and the Republican controlled congress of the state also stripped the governor of a lot of his powers once Koch-head Walker lost.

The DNC is responsible for a lot of lovely things, but stop looking at the primaries and being solely a Bernie v Biden thing.

Ratspeaker posted:

Fauxrage is one of the staples of regressives, especially when it lets them pull out the old "Democrats are the real racists" line.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 23, 2020

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ratspeaker posted:

They don't care about being hypocrites if it furthers their goals.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

FlamingLiberal posted:

The governor had that blackface scandal

Hey it wasn't proven he was in blackface!

He could have been wearing the KKK robes instead, he didn't remember which he did

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Taerkar posted:

This is a really dumb talking point.

There was more going on in Wisconsin than just the Democratic primaries, and more than just the presidential primary at that.

The Democratic governor of the state tried to push back the primary but the GOP controlled State Supreme Court (of which one of the seats was up for reelection) struck that down and the Republican controlled congress of the state also stripped the governor of a lot of his powers once Koch-head Walker lost.

The DNC is responsible for a lot of lovely things, but stop looking at the primaries and being solely a Bernie v Biden thing.

Fauxrage is one of the staples of regressives, especially when it lets them pull out the old "Democrats are the real racists" line.

What was the excuse they gave for pushing forward the March 17th vote? That very day on CNN Symone Sanders of the Biden campaign said "The CDC says it's safe out there" while the CDC was advocating at the time for no gatherings of 50+.

Illinois is Democrat controlled and still pressed on with voting in spite of there being no real good reason to at that point, especially while Ohio managed to delay theirs.

Why did everyone wait until they had a GOP punching bag narrative in Wisconsin to start giving a poo poo about pandemic voting?

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 23, 2020

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Feldegast42 posted:

Hey it wasn't proven he was in blackface!

He could have been wearing the KKK robes instead, he didn't remember which he did

And yet he has been part of the biggest shift leftward of any state in the country :unsmith:.

There is hope yet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Blindeye posted:

And yet he has been part of the biggest shift leftward of any state in the country :unsmith:.

There is hope yet.

I do have to wonder that's because if he isn't surprising people with a progressive track record he knows he's going down forever as 'the blackface and/or KKK governer'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I wish we were still back in that time where the biggest story was whether the Governor facing a blackface scandal attempted to do the moonwalk on stage before his wife stopped him

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Unoriginal Name posted:

the old person is you. you are the old person saying progressive ideas don't work. your post is indistinguishable from that of a conservative

He's not wrong though and maybe instead of being a prick you could respond to his post in good faith.

Democrats consistently lost elections since the 1970s whenever they ran on a progressive platform. It's why the party turned to Clinton style third-way politics and even then, when Clinton tried to push healthcare reform, the GOP crushed them in the 1994 congressional elections

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections

When Obama was pushing the ACA, and initially the Public Option, the Tea Party rose up and crushed Democrats in 2010 NOT because they weren't progressive enough, but because they did anything at all to try to improve healthcare

We have a leftist movement now in this country, largely thanks to Trump, but it is still mostly relegated to the cities. Olds/Boomers are very conservative as is most of the country at large still. And it makes sense that many of the old school Democrats are hesitant about progressive stands considering they watched their party get slaughtered over the last 40 years whenever someone tried to run on them.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Kaiser posted:

The latest KFF Health Tracking Poll conducted April 15-20th finds about half the public (51%) now saying that when it comes to the coronavirus outbreak in the U.S., “the worst is yet to come.” This is down 23 percentage points from the share who said the same (74%) in the Early April KFF Health Tracking Poll conducted less than three weeks ago. Majorities of Democrats (64%) and independents (56%) continue to say “the worst is yet to come,” but now twice as many Republicans say “the worst is behind us” (53%) as say “the worst is yet to come” (27%).

https://www.kff.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/9444-Figure-3.png

quote:

Some Republican governors have been among the strongest voices for re-opening businesses and lifting strict shelter-in-place orders sooner rather than later. However, even among Republicans living in states with Republican governors, a larger share say the strict measures are worth it (63%) than say they are causing more harm than good (36%).
These are always my favorite. "WE follow the rules. THEY are lovely and bad."
https://www.kff.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/9444-Figure-7.png

Finally, Kaiser typically does a good job digging deeper with "what if I told you?" followups. Americans are very willing to change behavior for Number Go Up.
https://www.kff.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/9444-Figure-11.png

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Trump continuing to erase Obama presidency by killing every job created for the past 11 years.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Double post action!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/FOXLA/status/1252383369251270659

https://twitter.com/bungdan/status/1252616639083720707

quote:

A 36-year-old man pulled a knife Friday on a television news team covering an anti-lockdown protest in Huntington Beach, California. Christien Francis Petersen of Costa Mesa has been jailed on suspicion of exhibiting a deadly weapon other than a firearm and kidnapping.

Petersen approached a KTTV cameraman and reporter, produced a pocket knife and forced them into a news van to delete any footage in which he may have appeared, the station reported. The journalists had been covering a Huntington Beach protest against a state shelter-in-place order issued to try to curb the spread of coronavirus.

Petersen, whose arrest form listed him as an attorney, was arrested about 7:50 p.m. He was being held on $100,000 bail. Police said Petersen, who may have been intoxicated, was upset that he had been filmed by the KTTV news team at a “Live Free or Die” really earlier Friday.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

We have a leftist movement now in this country, largely thanks to Trump, but it is still mostly relegated to the cities. Olds/Boomers are very conservative as is most of the country at large still. And it makes sense that many of the old school Democrats are hesitant about progressive stands considering they watched their party get slaughtered over the last 40 years whenever someone tried to run on them.

Ex-Bernie campaign people banded together to form a local DSA chapter in my area, because while getting Bernie elected would've been awesome, you're going to convince people the left is better by getting the left elected locally so people can see the direct benefit of electing lefties.

It's like Roem in Virginia - she in part has done so well not because she hits some twitter post count on Marx or whatever, it's because she actually does things to bring the benefits to those she represents to show them that, actually, there is better available.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

We’re gonna hit 50,000 deaths a week prior to original estimates.

poo poo is going to get real bad around the first week of May when these protesters and ghoul governors start reaping what they sowed.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

SHARIA LAW SCHOOL posted:

Trump continuing to erase Obama presidency by killing every job created for the past 11 years.

now: what was the population before obama?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

‘Sadness’ and Disbelief From a World Missing American Leadership https://nyti.ms/3bx7FQ0

'The country that defeated fascism in Europe 75 years ago next month, and defended democracy on the continent in the decades that followed, is doing a worse job of protecting its own citizens than many autocracies and democracies.

There is a special irony: Germany and South Korea, both products of enlightened postwar American leadership, have become potent examples of best practices in the coronavirus crisis.'

---

' “Europe’s social democratic systems are not only more human, they leave us better prepared and fit to deal with a crisis like this than the more brutal capitalistic system in the United States,” Mr. Moïsi said.

The current crisis, some fear, could act like an accelerator of history, speeding up a decline in influence of both the United States and Europe.

“Sometime in 2021 we come out of this crisis and we will be in 2030,” said Mr. Moïsi. “There will be more Asia in the world and less West.” '

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Pants Donkey posted:

poo poo is going to get real bad around the first week of May when these protesters and ghoul governors start reaping what they sowed.

Me sowing: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me reaping: *wheeze* *cough* *cough* hurrk... *cough* *wheeze* help

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

We have a leftist movement now in this country, largely thanks to Trump,

Bernie's surprising success in 2016 shows that this isn't true. In fact Bernie, the left, and Trump gained popularity largely for the the same reason, which is the failure of the 90s neoliberal consensus to improve people's lives.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

socialsecurity posted:

What gets me is all the people that talk about the Biden/DNC/Mainstream media conspiracy to destroy Bernie are the same people who shouted down even the slightest discussion of the Russian effect on 2016 because any talk of that was us simply distracting from Hillary's bad campaign.

I defintely believe that Russia had a hand in 2016. I think they actually invested money in the GOP through the NRA and other fronts. Its stupid to think this didn't happen, Troll farms can be incredibly damaging. Misinformation and blatant propaganda can poison an electorate. However I think hillary's campaign was death by a thousand paper cuts... it was kinda bad

ManBoyChef fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 23, 2020

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Pants Donkey posted:

Whaaat?? In the US or worldwide?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Shere posted:

What was the excuse they gave for pushing forward the March 17th vote? That very day on CNN Symone Sanders of the Biden campaign said "The CDC says it's safe out there" while the CDC was advocating at the time for no gatherings of 50+.

Illinois is Democrat controlled and still pressed on with voting in spite of there being no real good reason to at that point, especially while Ohio managed to delay theirs.

Why did everyone wait until they had a GOP punching bag narrative in Wisconsin to start giving a poo poo about pandemic voting?

I am going to have to agree with taerker here. This was completely on the shoulders of the republicans trying to get a supreme court seat. Yes the Biden campaign was not advocating staying home but I doubt it was some conspiracy like the republicans did.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Solaris 2.0 posted:

He's not wrong though and maybe instead of being a prick you could respond to his post in good faith.

Democrats consistently lost elections since the 1970s whenever they ran on a progressive platform. It's why the party turned to Clinton style third-way politics and even then, when Clinton tried to push healthcare reform, the GOP crushed them in the 1994 congressional elections

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections

When Obama was pushing the ACA, and initially the Public Option, the Tea Party rose up and crushed Democrats in 2010 NOT because they weren't progressive enough, but because they did anything at all to try to improve healthcare

Absolutely this. Clinton in 1992 ran a campaign which was centrist as hell, focusing mostly on bipartisan demands and not being one of those classic tax and spend liberals. That was an era where even if the shine had worn off of Reagan himself, his approach to government had become utterly dominant and everything else was in reaction to it. Then when he came into office he went past just passing medical leave into expanding abortion protections, trying to allow gay people to serve openly into the military, planning universal health care, and worst of all raising taxes and ramping down the Cold War military. This was all while the Southern Strategy wasn't yet finalized and the south especially still had lots of old conservative Democrats - the party's massive losses in 1994 absolutely weren't because he betrayed their progressive ideas. After that he moved right again, partly since he to a fault followed popular opinion on policies and partly since he was dealing with veto-proof right-wing bills coming in.

Obama 2008 ran as a bipartisanship elemental, if anything even more centrist than Clinton's. His early presidency mirrored closely too: expanding workplace protections and gay rights, rolling back anti-abortion rules from the Bush administration, and trying to close Guantanamo Bay against bipartisan opposition in Congress. Also the second round of bailouts and two new women in SCOTUS. None of those are dramatic lefty stuff, and some of those were his campaign promises, but the 2010 freakout and Tea Party wave didn't happen because eager 2008 leftists stayed home over a rightward shift.

If you backed 2008 Obama or (for the olds) 1992 Clinton because you expected way more progressive than what you got, you just weren't paying attention. Which isn't anything to be ashamed of. You were younger and less politically engaged, and both were young hip guys running against old stodgy guys. At least you didn't get into Pete this year, right? You're older and wiser now. And one big difference between now and then is that there's a progressive movement which actively will turn out in state and local elections. Even in midterms.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

booseek posted:

‘Sadness’ and Disbelief From a World Missing American Leadership https://nyti.ms/3bx7FQ0

'The country that defeated fascism in Europe 75 years ago next month, and defended democracy on the continent in the decades that followed, is doing a worse job of protecting its own citizens than many autocracies and democracies.

There is a special irony: Germany and South Korea, both products of enlightened postwar American leadership, have become potent examples of best practices in the coronavirus crisis.'

---

' “Europe’s social democratic systems are not only more human, they leave us better prepared and fit to deal with a crisis like this than the more brutal capitalistic system in the United States,” Mr. Moïsi said.

The current crisis, some fear, could act like an accelerator of history, speeding up a decline in influence of both the United States and Europe.

“Sometime in 2021 we come out of this crisis and we will be in 2030,” said Mr. Moïsi. “There will be more Asia in the world and less West.” '

Holy poo poo this is the most bootlicking article I've ever seen out of the NYT

Yeah, I'm sure that Europeans are sewing American flags in secret, marking the day that our enlightened rule comes to hold judgement over all

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The media has a really big hand in this. Every time progressive policies are being discussed the media thinks they have to both sides everything which leads to them normalizing the idea that we cant do anything for the citizens.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Why? Really, why, why do this? It's a stupid waste. And surprise, those people it's supposed to be for are the ones that will be inside working unable to see it because surprise, you can't ask someone to pause their death because you want to go see some planes

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

SocketWrench posted:

Why? Really, why, why do this? It's a stupid waste. And surprise, those people it's supposed to be for are the ones that will be inside working unable to see it because surprise, you can't ask someone to pause their death because you want to go see some planes

They do constant airshows all year as it is, 1-2 a week. With those presumably not happening, it's presumably just continuing their already budgeted operations, moving the site from "visible from paying crowd at airport" to "visible from people in town", and saying it's a tribute to medical responders instead.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

HelloSailorSign posted:

It's like Roem in Virginia - she in part has done so well not because she hits some twitter post count on Marx or whatever, it's because she actually does things to bring the benefits to those she represents to show them that, actually, there is better available.

Roem is a perfect example of how to get a really good progressive elected in a (formerly) very conservative area.

She ran on fixing the roads, and by correctly pointing out their rep at the time, noted piece of poo poo Bob Marshall, was ignoring them. And she won, and keeps winning.

She wasn't some firebrand leftist, she just focused on local issues and concerns. She just happens to be an amazing person and progressive too!

Just so everyone knows, read up on the person she beat, he's a huge piece of poo poo and refused to debate her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Marshall_(Virginia_politician)

quote:

During her campaign, Marshall tried to use her gender identity against her by not using her personal pronouns and refusing to debate her.[25] Marshall also stated that she was not a real woman because she will never be able to get cervical or ovarian cancer.[25]

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 23, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

Sitting up in my hospital bed and saluting as my lungs stop working

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shere posted:

You know why

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

Olympia had an estimated 1500 at the Capitol, so it's a lot more than just dozens. Washington has been mostly shut down for about the longest in the US too.

Edit: Police said 2500

I kind of expect larger numbers from Washington, that's where the idiot Nazis like to congregate the most

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

During her campaign, Marshall tried to use her gender identity against her by not using her personal pronouns and refusing to debate her.[25] Marshall also stated that she was not a real woman because she will never be able to get cervical or ovarian cancer.[25]

So if we ever find a way to completely eradicate all cancer incidence, women will cease to exist

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Roem is a perfect example of how to get a really good progressive elected in a (formerly) very conservative area.

She ran on fixing the roads, and by correctly pointing out their rep at the time, noted piece of poo poo Bob Marshall, was ignoring them. And she won, and keeps winning.

She wasn't some firebrand leftist, she just focused on local issues and concerns. She just happens to be an amazing person and progressive too!

Just so everyone knows, read up on the person she beat, he's a huge piece of poo poo and refused to debate her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Marshall_(Virginia_politician)

The stuff that Bernie was advocating is pretty moderate.

What do you think we need to offer to get progressives into office?