Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I guess the Jessie thing could go either way but who the hell loots a dead comrade's bandana and gloves while frantically ascending/descending a collapsing tower?

(Don't forget that both Biggs and Jessie wear bandanas)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm getting old because the gambit system in ff12 was def the big selling point and all the features of it included how big of a thing it was and a lot of the reviews even hit it for being too complicated as the big feature

But I guess with enough time we can just rewrite history and say it wasn't a big feature the game pushed because criticism allows us to make whatever mental gymnastics to defend something we like

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Three Video Game People I follow, Jim Sterling, Pat formerly of Super Best Friends and Marcus from the Cosmonaut Variety Hour all enjoyed it and they each got a lot of 'but you're allowed to dislike it!!!!!!' Generally it seems to have been well-received in most areas and you could put down the frothing rage to, well, the internet.

A lot of big streamers are positive on it, too, like Cohh and Maximilian Dood. I was extra interested in Max's opinion because he was so hyped for the FF7 Remake that the developers watched his reaction video to the remake reveal on YouTube to keep up their motiviation and told him about it at E3. He pretty much loved the whole thing, with some reservations about the execution/pacing of the ending, and he's stoked that he gets to speculate and wonder about the story of a game he thought he knew.

There's plenty of frothing rage on Reddit and in YouTube comments, but really we'd all expect that by now.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess the FF12 talk brings up another topic since we've already spent time listing favorite FF's

What's the best system in a FF game? Materia? Draw? FF9's Item Ability whatever they called it?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Asema posted:

a lot of the reviews even hit it for being too complicated as the big feature

:chloe:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Asema posted:

I guess the FF12 talk brings up another topic since we've already spent time listing favorite FF's

What's the best system in a FF game? Materia? Draw? FF9's Item Ability whatever they called it?

Job systems, not close

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

Marle: Big sword, but no skills
Cloud: *extremely butthurt* I got skills!
Tifa: *as if to a small child* Be nice!
Cloud: *extremely pouty* 'm doing my best.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

I guess the Jessie thing could go either way but who the hell loots a dead comrade's bandana and gloves while frantically ascending/descending a collapsing tower?

(Don't forget that both Biggs and Jessie wear bandanas)

They didn't want to show Jesse surviving at the end of the game because it would have been too powerful and overpowered the whole rest of the twists and cliffhangers in the ending.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Asema posted:

Andrast posted:

Job systems, not close

Yeah, jobs for life. I also like the materia system and I have a soft spot for Espers from FFVI, but jobs are usually the most compelling for me.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah I figured jobs would be the big #1 especially because it's been used more than once. Half the fun of FFT was the job system.

I don't know if I like the item system of FF9, I hold off on upgrades over abilities and I probably shouldn't care about that.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Jimbot posted:

They didn't want to show Jesse surviving at the end of the game because it would have been too powerful and overpowered the whole rest of the twists and cliffhangers in the ending.

Jessie has to survive because she's going to become a full playable character who replaces Aerith after she dies.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jessie surviving and joining the main party would be interesting but I'm not expecting it. I guess the FF7 party does lack a traditional machinist/engineer class though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jessie has to survive because she's one of the best characters in the game and I will be sad forever if she doesn't return.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder if they're going to start deviating more from the original aesthetic for some of the towns to come, just given how extremely varied some of them are. Like, I don't think I ever noticed in Kalm before that there's this pristine medieval stone castle wall around the whole town and it looks wild right after you leave Midgar. In the Let's Mosey video series, Tim Rogers speculated that some of the town maps were just places they drew as concepts or for a more generic Final Fantasy game and just went ahead and threw into FF7, and Kalm is one of them, just because some of them are so out-of-place.

Or maybe they'll go full Hell House and Kalm will be this majestic European castle village a stone's throw from Midgar and look completely wild.

Asema posted:

I don't know if I like the item system of FF9, I hold off on upgrades over abilities and I probably shouldn't care about that.

FF9 is my favorite in the series but I'm definitely pretty mixed on its "learn abilities from equipment" system. I think I'd like it more if there was less vertical progression in weapon/armor power so you didn't feel so much like you sometimes had to weaken yourself just to finish learning an ability. There's already some good equipment variance in FF9 just from a lot of armors having elemental/status resistance and things like that. I think I ultimately come down on the side of liking the system, though I wouldn't blame anyone for using the PC version's "instantly master abilities" cheat mode.

I do like that system better in FF9 than I do in FFTA/FFTA2, though, especially after FFTA2 tied almost all equipment acquisition to selling component items to the store like FFXII's bazaar. It just added too many extra steps to the process.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 23, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I always like the learn abilities from equipment system when it appears, because it usually means I can just learn every ability instead of having to pick and choose. Of course they almost always have some sort of system that means you can can't have them all active at once but I'm okay with that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I always like the learn abilities from equipment system when it appears, because it usually means I can just learn every ability instead of having to pick and choose. Of course they almost always have some sort of system that means you can can't have them all active at once but I'm okay with that.

For some reason I'm a sucker for "you can learn a bunch of passive abilities but only have a certain amount of points to assign to equip them" systems. I like that kind of thing a lot, probably because I enjoy weighing how useful abilities are versus how much they cost to equip and putting together the best set I can.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

I wonder if they're going to start deviating more from the original aesthetic for some of the towns to come, just given how extremely varied some of them are. Like, I don't think I ever noticed in Kalm before that there's this pristine medieval stone castle wall around the whole town and it looks wild right after you leave Midgar. In the Let's Mosey video series, Tim Rogers speculated that some of the town maps were just places they drew as concepts or for a more generic Final Fantasy game and just went ahead and threw into FF7, and Kalm is one of them, just because some of them are so out-of-place.

That sort of architecture is quite common in small European towns in the modern day. Particularly in the extremely wealthy suburbs surrounding London.

Pollyanna posted:

Jessie has to survive because she's one of the best characters in the game and I will be sad forever if she doesn't return.

same

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jessie survives so that Sephiroth can get a double kill later on

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

That sort of architecture is quite common in small European towns in the modern day. Particularly in the extremely wealthy suburbs surrounding London.

I figured the houses made sense, it was the pristine, brand-new-looking stone castle wall surrounding the whole town that threw me. But maybe that's not that far off either?

If nothing else that tower looks like a Gold Saucer prop

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 23, 2020

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

For some reason I'm a sucker for "you can learn a bunch of passive abilities but only have a certain amount of points to assign to equip them" systems. I like that kind of thing a lot, probably because I enjoy weighing how useful abilities are versus how much they cost to equip and putting together the best set I can.

yeah my only issue with this system is "ugh I just got an upgrade but Steiner wasn't loving available for the last 3 hours so I need to catch him up before I give him that upgrade" but that's usually just 15-20 minutes of catch up

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Asema posted:

yeah my only issue with this system is "ugh I just got an upgrade but Steiner wasn't loving available for the last 3 hours so I need to catch him up before I give him that upgrade" but that's usually just 15-20 minutes of catch up

Those are the parts where the system shows its cracks, yeah. Luckily it only really happens a couple times and really mostly with Steiner now that I think about it. It's not too often that you have a character unavailable for an extended period of time while you find several new weapons/armor for them that they need to learn abilities from, but the times it does happen are annoying.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Asema posted:

materia but only in the remake

Pollyanna posted:

:yeah:

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The "best" way to play a game should also be the most fun way to play the game so the player is never forced to sacrifice efficiency for fun. Lots of games fail at this for multiple reasons but that should be the goal. Getting better at the game should make the game more fun, not less and the player should never have to self-restrict themself from utilizing the entire system. Of course, this leads to many games that become too easy from players that actually understand the myriad of systems (FFVIII) or too hard for players that don't engage the systems enough (Valkyrie Profile 2) but that's a balancing issue.

I used gambits to automate most wandering around and random encounters, but gambits weren't strong enough to do what I wanted in boss fights. What I specifically remember is fighting the final Gilgamesh hunt using Decoy and Reverse. If I stuck with gambits, there would be a brief delay between Decoy and Reverse falling off and the characters recasting the spell which would be enough time for Gilgamesh to start killing my party and start a downward spiral. So while I had the gambit backbone automating most of my attacking and buffs, I had to manually time refreshing Decoy and Reverse in order to get through the battle.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

Jessie's bottomless thirst will give her power to return.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Jessie's bottomless thirst will give her power to return.

The next game will feature an easter egg scene of Jessie struggling against the whispers while screaming "He hasn't eaten my pizza yet!"

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfgw7iDZ-bo

Sharing this again since I had the chance to listen to it. It's a really good layout of their feelings on the game and why they all might be apprehensive about the ending but overall really, really hopeful and optimistic about the future games coming up. It's really well paced and thought out and I think everyone should take a listen from start to finish. They eventually come to the point I think is really accurate, that they're going to be following the same emotional thrust and points of the original but how we get there might be different and fresh.

Squidtentacle fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 23, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Probably going to be the unpopular opinion but I was super pumped with where they were going with Avalanche after some of the previews highlighting the extra mission with them and then the great interactions in Ch1 and 2. But Ch4 was some artificially heartstring pulling poo poo. Like there was some sort of dare game about how pitiful they could make the situation. Jessie was an actress but quit when he dad got mako poisoning a blu blu. They live on the sector 7 plate a blu blu blu. Biggs and Wedge are regulars and love her mom's pizza wahhh. Jessie has problems getting close to people and may want to literally jump Clouds bone in a very unhealthy way... Erotic wahh?

Wedges rear end problems aren't Shakespeare but were a lot more endearing.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Onmi posted:

Confirmed: Wedge is inside Cait Sith's Mog Suit. At disc 3, he'll remove the mascot head and reveal to the party he was alive the entire time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwuu66ib84o

This is literally drawn and discussed in this drawee episode and I can't help but picture Wedge in Puff Puff's position.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

I don't know how much you wanna read into the tea leaves of who survived or whatever but they recently did an AMA with the "main cast" of FFVII and all four playable characters were there along with the VAs for Biggs and Jessie, but no Wedge.

The rest of the cast are primarily anime/game VAs while Wedge was played by Badger from Breaking Bad, was what I read into that.

And now I remembered that Aaron Paul was the lead in the FF15 tie-in movie. Get Bryan Cranston for a 7R2 role. Bugenhagen?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

bryan cranston will be cid and you will like it, drat it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh holy poo poo of course

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The rest of the cast are primarily anime/game VAs while Wedge was played by Badger from Breaking Bad, was what I read into that.

And now I remembered that Aaron Paul was the lead in the FF15 tie-in movie. Get Bryan Cranston for a 7R2 role. Bugenhagen?

Cid, 32 and 64 are basically the same thing when it comes to jrpgs

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Asema posted:

I really liked the system in X-2 - job system with a mechanic for mid-fight switching, it was sweet.

As much as I like Jesse as a character, I kind of want her to have died because if she didn't, then I think literally no named characters were killed in the plate collapse. Sure, an evacuation effort is an interesting difference, but it should still have a price.

Oh, and if Wedge is the bigger half of Cait Sith, then clearly it will be revealed after Cait Sith "sacrifices" itself to shrink the temple for the black materia.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Veib posted:

Cid, 32 and 64 are basically the same thing when it comes to jrpgs

I'm older than Cid and watching him now makes me laugh my rear end off. It'd be like if I suddenly started walking with a hunch and complaining about the drat kids all over my lawn at the ripe old age of 34.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Harrow posted:

Or maybe they'll go full Hell House and Kalm will be this majestic European castle village a stone's throw from Midgar and look completely wild.
There are European towns with bustling modern city centers slightly adjacent to ancient castles, I'm sure they could replicate the same juxtaposition in ff7r, or even make it into some sort of tourist trap for Midgar residents

Andrast posted:

Jessie survives so that Sephiroth can get a double kill later on

A female protagkabob

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Flopsy posted:

I'm older than Cid and watching him now makes me laugh my rear end off. It'd be like if I suddenly started walking with a hunch and complaining about the drat kids all over my lawn at the ripe old age of 34.
Wait I'm not supposed to be doing that in my 30s.

The good news is that if I'm aging like a jRPG character I'm basically home free until I'm 70 for any appreciable physical change because it really just covers old and exceptionally old.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

There are European towns with bustling modern city centers slightly adjacent to ancient castles, I'm sure they could replicate the same juxtaposition in ff7r, or even make it into some sort of tourist trap for Midgar residents

It's really just the newness of the wall that's throwing me. If it was all ancient and weathered it'd make sense, now that I think about it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

Kalm has a giant wall around it because of all of the monsters in the badlands created by Midgar.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I’m willing to forgive the gambit system in XII for a lot since, iirc, it was square’s first attempt at a true real time RPG combat system in a mainline final fantasy, but that isn’t enough to make me want to replay it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

zedprime posted:

Wait I'm not supposed to be doing that in my 30s.

The good news is that if I'm aging like a jRPG character I'm basically home free until I'm 70 for any appreciable physical change because it really just covers old and exceptionally old.

What's it with the Japanese and anything over 20 being a senior citizen anyway?