Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Okay so I've learned something important - namely that Worlds don't work like I thought and you actually have the ability to make 6-8 'games' with 8 worlds each.

I've been putting out levels using 3.0 things with the hopes of making a world around 3.0 stuff and when I tried to save it to a second slot, I realized it wanted people to play through my much harder starlight levels first. I kinda didn't understand why that was happening so deleted my Starlight world (rip) and remade/rearranged things

It was only then that I realized my goof so... oops.

Bright side though:

Here's a much easier world showcasing a ton of stuff, the first 5 levels are all 3.0 stuff while the second 'world' is a bunch of my jungle stages strung together that I think fit.

[World 1]
*Passing Peaks
*Mask Mayhem
*Roys Mania Mine New
*Bonus: Rocket Ride New
*Wound Up Wendy

[World 2]
*Banshee Bog
*Mario's Treetop Terror
*Jungle Crawl
*Seesaw Skies
*Lava Piranha's Inferno Isle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yesterday, I was playing a world I was REALLY enjoying, and realized in the middle of it that I had no access to the world code, outside of quitting and checking it out from the list somewhere.

Actually, now that I think of it, can you even get codes from levels in Endless mode? (edit: from within the level itself, I mean)

Anyway, I jotted down a level code as it loaded up, and I have on me right now (not near my Switch). It's 864-B7J-JKG. That level is great, but the rest of them together, in the world that was created, was really something. I recommend looking into that creator and playing the world they made.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 23, 2020

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
It's a new update! Soar the skies and withstand:

Aerial Antagonism
6FW-VWW-BDG

Side note: SMB2 Mario cannot hold a blue Mecha-Koopa and shoot laser beams, so we still need one more small update.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 25, 2020

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Run, Froggy, Run!

2RK-06F-FXF

Grab the P-switch & run over water as a Frog. Don't slow down though, baddies might catch you.

Made a speedrun-ish level with Frog Mario. Has a clear condition of beating it as a frog.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Gonna have to throw in the towel for now on making a bullet bill level. The mechanics are just way too restrictive for what I want to do with it. Maybe the propeller hat will be better

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Macaluso posted:

What I need is a DKCR maker

one day... i can feel it in my heart.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Ok, here's the level list for tonight's stream at 5 PM PDT/8 PM EDT.

I tried to get one level from everyone each, and what I did if you submitted levels before the update, I grabbed one of your levels from before the update and one level from after the update (that way you can see how your new level worked out without your old level being lost to time.) I also wrote down pretty much every other level I could find for a reserve list to play next week, so for people like Obama 2012 no worries, I got them jotted down so they should get played!

Please let me know if I did miss anyone else who post a level involving the new update, THAT WERE POSTED BEFORE I POSTED THIS LIST. there was quite a few posts to sift through.

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

1. This Year, February was Warm...
By: Tonberi 4J1-QLC-JQF

2. Snowpeak Sanctum
By: Mektarian 0BC-D29-NSG

3. Desert Distress
By: Dog Nougat J27-SWH-QGF

4. Chutes and Ladder
By: Punk Rebel Ecks V5Q-V6K-02G

5. 1-2 Shells
By: Obama 2012 N8W-MN5-6RF

6. Spiny Viny Valley
By: Palmtree Panic NGG-TFJ-8JF

7. Mask Mayhem
By: ThisIsACoolGuy SJ6-1F3-GQG

8. Mechakoopa Airfield
By: pray for my aunt LPJ-G89-CWF

9. P Stars
By: Tonberi 6CN-T45-0PG

10. Frog Mario Exhibit
By: Jasoneatspizza 84B-014-HHG

11. Squirrels Gone Wild
By: JSpot J0L-GMH-56G

12. Polar Pokey Canyon
By: Haschel Cedricson D81-KVH-C5G

13. Aerial Antagonism
By: Suspicious Cook 6FM-VWW-BDG

14. Run, Froggy, Run!
By: Palmtree Panic 2RK-06F-FXF

OneMoreTime fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 23, 2020

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Oh, and if you'd rather have those older levels played sooner, please feel free to drop by and submit them, of course!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Slowly getting my world built.

In the meantime:

Galoomba's Garden 2: Revenge of the Flowers!
X26-F1M-RMF

Really digging the inclusion of worlds. I prefer making contiguous multiple levels that ramp up the difficulty and work on a somewhat central theme.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Holy poo poo. This was brilliant. Unlike others though I find this super demotivating because I'll never make or have the patience to make something this intricate. I'm just glad I could play it. Great design and great fun.

Haha, thanks! Don't be demotivated, though. As Teddy Roosevelt once said, comparison is the thief of joy. Just make the levels that you want to make, and simple or short levels are great too. I've had a lot of fun playing all sorts of levels.

If you (or anyone in this thread) want some inspiration, here's a video about level creation that I really enjoyed and found helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFrT7-19JI.

Personally, when making a level, I like to decide on a specific setting first (e.g. climbing a tall icy mountain, or exploring a crumbling cathedral). You can look through the background types for inspiration, or pick a combination of two (one main-level and one sub-level) to give some variety. After picking a setting, I try to make some challenges which are appropriate to the setting, limiting myself to ~5 enemy types so that things don't get out of hand. Then I play test it a bunch of times, revising as I go to remove things that aren't fun and tone down things which are too challenging. Your course will almost always be harder for other people than it is for you, so keep that in mind. Of course, I'm sure other people have very different processes, so do whatever works for you. I do recommend the video above, though.

Also, if you can watch other people play your level (like OneMoreTime, above, or other streamers, who do this thread a great service!), it can be really enlightening to see how your level plays in the hands of someone new.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Made my first new course in a while. Gave up on the bullet bill and made a level around the propeller hat instead

Propeller Panic
0QT-0B3-T7G

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Here's a world with 4 new levels in the SMB3 style and one bonus level that I had made before in teh SMW style. While exhausting to make it was supremely fun to take the approach I usually have (i.e. like a 25 second level with a focus on one or two enemies) and build on it over the course of a world! Incorporating callbacks to the previous 3 levels in the final castle was fun and made creating easier since I could just include harder versions of jumps I had already designed once! World maker is the greatest addition ever.

Here's the individual level codes for posterity.
Spike's Playground JQC-7XP-5PG
Languishing Lagoon 8BT-8LB-WQF
Sky Flyin' Spikes V71-RLK-3TG
Fortress Kerfuffle XNF-28P-L8G

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just for clarity sake: Be careful when you upload a world. If you want to add another 'world' to it you'll have to take down what you have uploaded, slap on the new 5+ levels, then reupload it.

Noticed a lot of people myself included getting confused thinking that each slot on the save screen was it's own world when those are games

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Uh, you can reupload a course if you delete it from the servers, right? I'm getting spooked because of the "if you delete this it CANNOT BE RESTORED" message

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Amppelix posted:

Uh, you can reupload a course if you delete it from the servers, right? I'm getting spooked because of the "if you delete this it CANNOT BE RESTORED" message

Yeah, you just lose any hearts or posts

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok, good. I just realized i loving forgot to actually put 1-ups into my 1-up bonus room and it was killing me.

Here's Coral Jungle with actual 1-ups this time: G5C-WBT-SLG

play my level

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I have a question about worlds.

When you upload a world, does every course in that world get added to your profile? If they don't, do those courses exist only inside the world? What happens if you then upload a course from the world? I don't really get how it works.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm pretty sure you can simply only upload worlds that consist of uploaded courses.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

So I have a question about worlds.

When you upload a world, does every course in that world get added to your profile? If they don't, do those courses exist only inside the world? What happens if you then upload a course from the world? I don't really get how it works.

You have to upload the levels like usual, the World is just like a editorial pack.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Finally playing people's levels since I been making my world since the update went up and the 3.0 levels have been awesome so far. All the new tools are so cool!! I bet you could make a sweet rear end Quick Man stage with the Blue Mechakoopa lasers.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Amppelix posted:

Ok, good. I just realized i loving forgot to actually put 1-ups into my 1-up bonus room and it was killing me.

Here's Coral Jungle with actual 1-ups this time: G5C-WBT-SLG
play my level

I'll admit I meant that in the sense if I missed a level before I posted my list, but I can see that wasn't clear. I'll add it to the list for tonight!

Rhythmancer
Jun 5, 2004
Mr. Saturn
The moment I saw the preview for the new update I really wanted to make a level where you ride a chain chomp with the SMB2 mushroom. Alas, it turned out not to be possible (RIP Chain Chomp Rodeo), so I came up with this stage instead,

Cursed Temple
GMN-BCX-QMF

I learned that phanto is a dick, and will run you the gently caress down if you just straight run but if you hop over or dodge him a couple times and keep moving he'll gently caress off for a little and give you some space.

Enjoy!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

OneMoreTime posted:

I'll admit I meant that in the sense if I missed a level before I posted my list, but I can see that wasn't clear. I'll add it to the list for tonight!
I see. Well, we can consider this a technicality since I did upload this yesterday originally and just didn't post it until the fixed version right now!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

In Training posted:

You have to upload the levels like usual, the World is just like a editorial pack.

Well now I'm really upset you can only have one world. If it doesn't even give you extra levels why have the restriction? Bah.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

why have the restriction?

This is my question for most Nintendo games (also World of Warcraft)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Well now I'm really upset you can only have one world. If it doesn't even give you extra levels why have the restriction? Bah.
for the same reason as any other restriction mario maker has

they want to keep it simple

(i'm not defending this)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I mean, it's 40 courses. That's a shitload of levels. I'm guessing 99.5% of mario maker users haven't made 40 courses, let alone 40 courses they could thematically link together into an 8 world game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I would like the ability to upload several smaller super worlds instead of one big one though. i mean, you can just use the separate worlds as an approximation of that, but there is an expectation of a continuity of challenge when they're all part of the same collection.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Amppelix posted:

I would like the ability to upload several smaller super worlds instead of one big one though. i mean, you can just use the separate worlds as an approximation of that, but there is an expectation of a continuity of challenge when they're all part of the same collection.

Yeah this is where I'm at. i think its super cool that people can make an entire drat game for people to play, but I'd prefer to work in smaller scale and have worlds that feel more mechanically and thematically tight.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I've always felt that while I understood why some people might like the ability to make maps and set their courses together in curated sets, I didn't think it was really all that important in that it wouldn't add up to the game experience, and I gotta own up to it, I was straight up wrong, this adds a lot to the experience of playing through peoples' levels and I love it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Trying to go through making a game. And wanted to gather ideas for the second Fortress and Boss. I know I am going to use a Koopaling for the boss, but have not decided which one. (Only certain that I am not using Larry or Ludwig as Larry is the first world boss who I have already done and Ludwig is going to be the final one.

Also wanted some help in figuring out the theme and gimmick for the Fort. Larry's castle was themed around Firebars for example.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And we're going live here in about ten minutes with those levels!

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Echoing that DorianGravy’s world (31J-H67-64G) is excellent and well worth playing!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've been making some levels to put together a world and after his 6 have no plays, which surprised me as I've always gotten plays relatively quickly in the past and I know lots of people are playing right now.

Please give them a try. They thematically go in order.

Operation Monty Drop - B3M 1PN GFF

Arctic Mole Assault Team - D0Y KBW 52H

Molehill Out of a Mountain - GRG LHH G1H

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

In Training posted:

I mean, it's 40 courses. That's a shitload of levels. I'm guessing 99.5% of mario maker users haven't made 40 courses, let alone 40 courses they could thematically link together into an 8 world game.

Just to clarify that's just a single save slot, you can actually have *way* more than that. You can only upload one 'game' at a time though.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just to clarify that's just a single save slot, you can actually have *way* more than that. You can only upload one 'game' at a time though.

I suspect/hope that Nintendo will increase the number of uploaded worlds in the future. Giving us six slots to make worlds, but only being able to upload one, doesn't make much sense otherwise. If I had to guess, this may be Nintendo's way of encouraging some initial quality control, by only letting people put their best work forward. Plus, I doubt increasing the number of uploaded worlds would count as a "major" update, just like they did with levels.

So keep creating, everyone! Even if they don't increase the number of uploaded worlds, there doesn't seem to be much penalty in switching which of your worlds is uploaded.

By the way, does anyone know what the numbers of Ninji on the world maps mean?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I went back and watched you stream my level One More Time.

Glad you enjoyed it.

I realized that the first checkpoint was rough, but if you time it right you can pretty much always get past it. For the mid-boss fight you are suppose to just slide down on him when he climbs up. You just have to hit it's head and it dies. Bowser Jr. isn't killed by sliding, you just jump on his head. It was fun watching you try it out.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DorianGravy posted:

I suspect/hope that Nintendo will increase the number of uploaded worlds in the future. Giving us six slots to make worlds, but only being able to upload one, doesn't make much sense otherwise. If I had to guess, this may be Nintendo's way of encouraging some initial quality control, by only letting people put their best work forward. Plus, I doubt increasing the number of uploaded worlds would count as a "major" update, just like they did with levels.

So keep creating, everyone! Even if they don't increase the number of uploaded worlds, there doesn't seem to be much penalty in switching which of your worlds is uploaded.

By the way, does anyone know what the numbers of Ninji on the world maps mean?
If one user can upload multiple super worlds, they will need to implement a different browsing utility for them in addition to disparate codes for them (since currently you just use the maker ID). not saying that's impossible, but it's definitely work, and design work.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

pumpinglemma posted:

Echoing that DorianGravy’s world (31J-H67-64G) is excellent and well worth playing!

I played this today. Its pretty decent if you're looking for a moderate challenge.

I'm looking for shorter worlds to play that were designed with the world maker in mind. So far almost every world I've played has just been a level showcase, which isn't bad, but not what I'm really looking for. Guess people need more time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've uploaded my first world. I'm going to stick with a theme as I expand it. Every world will have a theme or narrative that uses 4 levels each in a different style, and one optional bonus level in Super Mario 3D world style that is unrelated.

Adding to it is easy, I just load my world in world maker, save as, and continue working.