Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Mu Zeta posted:

Thermometer is one of my best kitchen purchases ever. Cooking meatloaf and steak by intuition feels like the stone age now. I get perfect pork loin every single time now.

In case anyone is wondering the #1 puchase is a gram scale so i can do lazy and precise measurements.

https://www.amazon.com/Escali-P115C...87600731&sr=8-1
I assume you have that. How do you like it?

I have a Taylor brand digital scale & I swear it's not as accurate as an older digital scale I used to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's very good and recommended by The Wirecutter site. Some of the colors are cheaper so I grabbed it for $20. The only negative is that it counts a whole gram at a time but I don't need it to be that precise. Not like it matter if you have 14g of sugar or 14.3g of sugar.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Good to know. I did a cursory "best kitchen digital scale" search and that model is near the top for all sites.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

SEKCobra posted:

I wanted the browns for this reason, purchasing hosed it up and got the blues. My coworker said its OK and not to exchange it and I have had it ever since and am extremely happy to have the exact same peripherals at work and at home.

Also, the click isn't that extreme.
A former (ancient) coworker wanted to use his IBM keyboard and his direct reports were actually going to destroy them which I prevented because those things are valuable. But yeah using that in a shared office is a no go.

Nah, you can’t destroy those bastards. I soldered in a new controller to my Model F and use(d) it daily at the office. Apparently the Model F clicking is less annoying than the Razer keyboard of the guy next to me, according

For content, bought a vinyl of the 2016 Doom Soundtrack after an earlier order fell through

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Finally buckled and bought a printer for home use.

Epson ET 2720. It's one of their "EcoTank" models, which means you get a giant bottle of ink for 13 bucks, dump it in, and get roughly 6000-8000 pages out of a full tank of inkjet ink.

I'll have to see how it actually holds up but it beats the hell out of buying a printer and paying 40 bucks every 500 pages because HP is greedy and won't let me print black and white when I'm out of yellow.

RandomZero
Aug 22, 2010

Those CATs used to cost like $8, wow. They are loving effective though. Unfortunately I've used them on a number of people, and even the early models held up for me thankfully. It'll save your rear end if you cut your hand off somehow.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Xenoletum posted:

:same:

But I got the Brother HL-L2350DW since I don't see myself printing much and toner doesn't dry out.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

ThermoPro TP19 Waterproof Digital Meat Thermometer for making sure my food is the correct temperature in my kitchen.

Remco 5" Mini Bench Scraper in orange for baking tasty stuff in my kitchen.

North American Rescue Combat Application Tourniquet for when things go wrong in my kitchen.

Make sure you practice a little with the CAT so you know how it works when poo poo goes wrong.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

tangy yet delightful posted:

Make sure you practice a little with the CAT so you know how it works when poo poo goes wrong.

I do with the trainer version I go a while ago.

RandomZero posted:

Those CATs used to cost like $8, wow. They are loving effective though. Unfortunately I've used them on a number of people, and even the early models held up for me thankfully. It'll save your rear end if you cut your hand off somehow.

Yeah, I remember when they were that cheap too. :smith: Premade IFAK's are stupid expensive now & barely in stock so I'm building my own with stuff I can get from the local drugstores to keep in my house/car.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

As someone who wore these on my limbs “just in case” doing convoys in Iraq I find this bizarre.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Xenoletum posted:

Epson ET 2720. It's one of their "EcoTank" models, which means you get a giant bottle of ink for 13 bucks, dump it in, and get roughly 6000-8000 pages out of a full tank of inkjet ink.

I'll have to see how it actually holds up but it beats the hell out of buying a printer and paying 40 bucks every 500 pages because HP is greedy and won't let me print black and white when I'm out of yellow.

I’m curious whether there’s any wear and tear parts that need to be replaced on these, or what the lifespan of the ink drying out is. Laserjet printers average the same page count for toner cartridges, but you have to replace the imaging drum as well

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

OSU_Matthew posted:

I’m curious whether there’s any wear and tear parts that need to be replaced on these, or what the lifespan of the ink drying out is. Laserjet printers average the same page count for toner cartridges, but you have to replace the imaging drum as well

Yeah I've worked with plenty of laser printers over the years due to IT work. Inkjet just better suits me for home with making stickers or the like. I was looking at a workforce machine to turn it into a sublimation printer, but decided to just go with this.

Eventually I'd love to actually do enough vinyl work to get an eco-solvent printer, but that comes in time.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Got a pair of superfeet orange insoles because I walk 7-10 miles a day at work and my ankles and calves fricken hurt.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OSU_Matthew posted:

The drums are usually good for 20-50k pages though, depending on the model, so you can go for a while without replacing them.

I haven't used an inkjet in a while but the ink used to dry out and jets clog up if you didn't use it often or the just the right way. Perhaps it's solved now though. Although on my old HP, the jets used to be part of the ink cartridge so you'd replace them either way from time to time, so it might be necessary to replace them separately on a model like this.

I had a couple of printers laying around that I no longer need to carry to women's homes but both were low on toner.

Like :10bux: :10bux: later, both are full and good for another 10k or so, though the Samsung needs some light maintenance.

E: here's the "light maintenance":

quote:

It's somehow actually way worse than the test image suggested, I guess because you can see all the problems individually. As you said, it was the transfer "belt", in this case I think there are worm wheels on two shafts and a roller. I found this video which perfectly explained how that works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipw1RjwzUDg&t=785s

Basically I cleaned the doctor blade (this seems to be the term for the shiny metal plate) that had some toner caked onto the very edge that's supposed to scrape the excess off, and for all except the cyan (as I did it first) I also cleaned the roller itself, so that there was no residue left on it when I put them back in.

Other that the obvious gradient on the cyan (that maybe will go away after it gets fully coated) and the right edge of yellow, it all looks pretty much perfect to the naked eye. I don't know if it was worth spending a few hours on this but at least it was pretty educational and made me feel like I accomplished something. Thanks!

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Apr 25, 2020

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

5 prints of my own photos to hang around the house.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Megabound posted:

5 prints of my own photos to hang around the house.

Very cool! Have any shots of the rest you could share?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

Very cool! Have any shots of the rest you could share?

They're all mounted in the same frame, and photos of prints don't do them justice so here's the originals.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm not a picture expert or anything, but those are some nice pictures.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Solice Kirsk posted:

Seconding this! Beyond just taking cool pictures of stuff, those are some really nice evocative shots... I really enjoyed those, thanks for sharing!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

OSU_Matthew posted:

Seconding this! Beyond just taking cool pictures of stuff, those are some really nice evocative shots... I really enjoyed those, thanks for sharing!

Thanks guys, glad you like them. I've been going stir crazy not being able to go out, plan shots and explore abandoned places.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Xenoletum posted:

I swear I didn't even search for this printer but google must be spying on me because I just got this Techmoan review of the ET 7700 recommended to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIl4TA7wYU

Really looks pretty drat good, the amount of prints your'e supposed to get out of the ink is really impressive.

Meanwhile my "light maintenance" turned out to be "disassemble all toner transport assemblies" but it was pretty straightforward:

quote:

It's somehow actually way worse than the test image suggested, I guess because you can see all the problems individually. As you said, it was the transfer "belt", in this case I think there are worm wheels on two shafts and a roller. I found this video which perfectly explained how that works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipw1RjwzUDg&t=785s

Basically I cleaned the doctor blade (this seems to be the term for the shiny metal plate) that had some toner caked onto the very edge that's supposed to scrape the excess off, and for all except the cyan (as I did it first) I also cleaned the roller itself, so that there was no residue left on it when I put them back in.

Other that the obvious gradient on the cyan (that maybe will go away after it gets fully coated) and the right edge of yellow, it all looks pretty much perfect to the naked eye. I don't know if it was worth spending a few hours on this but at least it was pretty educational and made me feel like I accomplished something.
So yeah color laser probably isn't really worth it since it's not good enough for photos anyway but for a free 10-y.o. printer and a few bucks worth of toner that's not bad.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Thanks to this thread I just ordered one of those ecotank printers for my dad's birthday next week.

Ever since we got our first inkjet printer at home when I was a kid, my dad has always been obsessed with methods of refilling cartridges, it's kind of a hobby for him.

This will either be the printer of his dreams or it might just destroy his tedious hobby that I don't understand, we'll see.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Simone Poodoin posted:

This will either be the printer of his dreams or it might just destroy his tedious hobby that I don't understand, we'll see.

You’re gonna go visit one day and he’s got four oil drums sitting outside the window of his office each leaking different colours, with a mess of wires and pipes leading to the printer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Megabound, those are gorgeous.

I’ve been breaking down whole birds more since they’re more available than good parts, and it’s a little awkward with both my chef’s knife and my petty, so I indulged in some retail therapy and got a 145mm honesuki to use for the purpose. Also got some knife accoutrements: tsubaki oil to keep the carbon steel from rusting, a rust eraser for when I fail at that, a good 1000 grit Naniwa stone and strop, and a stone holder that sits across the sink so it’s firmly held in position and I can keep it wet easily.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Subjunctive posted:

I’ve been breaking down whole birds more since they’re more available than good parts, and it’s a little awkward with both my chef’s knife and my petty, so I indulged in some retail therapy and got a 145mm honesuki to use for the purpose. Also got some knife accoutrements: tsubaki oil to keep the carbon steel from rusting, a rust eraser for when I fail at that, a good 1000 grit Naniwa stone and strop, and a stone holder that sits across the sink so it’s firmly held in position and I can keep it wet easily.

I've definitely been thinking lately that I need to get me a stone like that

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Megabound posted:

They're all mounted in the same frame, and photos of prints don't do them justice so here's the originals.

You really have "the eye". Lots of people get a camera and understand what the various buttons and settings do, but they don't take good pictures. That takes artistic vision and knowing when and where to be.

On the beach one, I don't know if you edited it or not but it feels kind of vintage or dream-like, I like it.

Scrolling down to the cable car one is like the best way to experience it, because you think it's a roller coaster that just ends abruptly.

The illusion on the bridge one is wild, did you use a drone or was there a pedi-bridge that was there?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

skooma512 posted:

On the beach one, I don't know if you edited it or not but it feels kind of vintage or dream-like, I like it.

That's called film :)

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

You've just reminded me I need to buy a sink bridge for the once every 3 months I crack out the sharpening stones. Also, thank you!

skooma512 posted:

You really have "the eye". Lots of people get a camera and understand what the various buttons and settings do, but they don't take good pictures. That takes artistic vision and knowing when and where to be.

Scrolling down to the cable car one is like the best way to experience it, because you think it's a roller coaster that just ends abruptly.

The illusion on the bridge one is wild, did you use a drone or was there a pedi-bridge that was there?

Bottom Liner posted:

That's called film :)

So, yea, these are all film shots and are all edited to some extent as to get positives I need to scan, invert and colour correct. The film used in that beach pic, and the bridge too, is Kodak Portra 400, which is known for it's creamy smooth tones and real nice rendering of skin tones. I shoot it any time I want warmer tones, especially in autumn, or I want that film photo look. The black and white shots were taken on 2 different films, with one of them being an old surveillance film that would have been used in things red light cameras back in the day. The cameras used are fairly interesting too. The square photos were taken on a square format, using a Russian camera, the Kiev 60. This is it next to a regular sized camera:

It was a monster of a thing that had light-leak issues, you can see one at the top of the cable car pick, but took some real nice photos when babied correctly. I sold that on when I got the camera I took the other 3 photos on, a Horseman VH.

A completely different style of camera that uses the same film. This style of camera allows for really fine control of your scene, I can move the lens around independent of film to raise, lower or shift the image left and right, as well as lay a focal plane on an angle instead of flat parallel with the camera. The photo of the car under the awning was taken with quite a bit of rise as there was no hill to stand on to get the camera to that level.

To get the photo of the bridges I had to hop a fence and get our onto the edge of the water with a wide lens.

Thanks for your kind words! The main thing about shooting for me is to take time. Both of the cameras I've posted take a while to set up and adjust to the correct settings, and I only get between 8 and 12 shots per roll of film (depending on negative size) so you need to be sure of every setting and framing to make sure it all counts for something.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

skooma512 posted:

You're not the blind guy from Get Out, are you? :ohdear:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I got $100 to Amazon through work so I bought a Soda Stream. I can't wait to make a Tom Collins when it gets here!

Looking forward to trying a few Ginger syrup recipes for Dark and Stormy purposes. And tonic syrup for tonic water.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
All ive been doing is buying dumb poo poo that i dont need. Got an all black Carhartt beanie. Got 2 pins from esty. 1 is skull with a rose crown and the other is a chubby cute bat (for the wife).

Got undershirts. Some high rear end cholo socks. Games upon games on steam/game services. Hella beers. The only hobbie ive been really keepin up with is the games. You guys actually have real hobbies and seem to be doing cool poo poo with them. Nice.

Oh, you want to know what ive accomplished? Well i promoted my Dwarf Gunner 3 times in Deep Rock Galatic now :smug: working on a driller now :shepface:

ShortyMR.CAT has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Apr 28, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just ordered a monoprice sous vide circulator and a cheap vacuum sealer. Time to join the sous vide bandwagon (a little late... Is it already passe?)

I've been cooking/baking a ton because I don't have anything else to do.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

mystes posted:

I just ordered a monoprice sous vide circulator and a cheap vacuum sealer. Time to join the sous vide bandwagon (a little late... Is it already passe?)

I've been cooking/baking a ton because I don't have anything else to do.

Provided you don't feel compelled to SV everything all the time to the exception of all other ways of cooking, it's a fine weapon in the arsenal.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

Crack-Up by Fleet Foxes on Vinyl from my local record store.

Summer slippers from Mahabis.

A local store that sells t-shirts, hats, e.t.c with the area code on it. Nice people and they are donating profits to help frontline workers.

Sweatshirt from J.Crew cause I'm living in my house forever now I guess?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Duey posted:

A local store that sells t-shirts, hats, e.t.c with the area code on it. Nice people and they are donating profits to help frontline workers.

I think there are more chickens than horseshoe crabs here. How local, I'm dead center? I guess I should get me some DEware since I've been here almost 10 years now.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

calandryll posted:

I think there are more chickens than horseshoe crabs here. How local, I'm dead center? I guess I should get me some DEware since I've been here almost 10 years now.

Lewes, although they have pop ups all over the State at different fairs.

Duey has a new favorite as of 15:37 on Apr 28, 2020

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Dunno what happened but randomly there are ants in my bathroom? So weird:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Do you know what kind of ants? Make sure they aren't carpenter ants or anything like that.