Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nuts and Gum posted:

lmao the play by play is just as stupid as any other meaningless sport but when the players are on camera they're sweaty fat nerds instead of actual athletes. This will always be funny.

i will say, at least with VR they're moving their bodies, so its a little bit ahead of the crazy sports play by play when its just someone hunched over a keyboard moving their fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

This is like the longest "my uncle works at Nintendo" I've ever seen

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Zero VGS posted:

This is like the longest "my uncle works at Nintendo" I've ever seen

I mean that is literally the entire VNN format.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

How much space does Echo Arena need to avoid punching my furniture?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does anyone even trust VNN? It was just random news about valve that anyone could have found until the guy finally pestered Gabe enough to get one video interview and then people treated them like some trusted news source. I trust them as much as that guy that makes the fake Oculus newspaper pictures.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Does anyone even trust VNN? It was just random news about valve that anyone could have found until the guy finally pestered Gabe enough to get one video interview and then people treated them like some trusted news source. I trust them as much as that guy that makes the fake Oculus newspaper pictures.

I mean, when I watch his videos he seems to temper his leaks with disclaimers. It's not like he claims everything he releases is the gospel truth.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Organza Quiz posted:

How much space does Echo Arena need to avoid punching my furniture?

I would say your best bet is to not rely on the guardian at all. You only need standing space, really, but the risk is you take a small step without realizing it and whacking something. You should get a mat of some sort, make sure it's not slippery on the ground, and put it somewhere you can't reach anything as long as you're standing on it (so stand on the edge, lean over a bit, and reach to make sure you can't hit anything). Then you can feel safe and flip out to your heart's content, as long as your feet are on the mat you're good. I've played in areas as small as 6'x6' (a 2'x2' mat and then a safety margin to reach out), and my current space is about 10'x10' (a 4'x4' mat with a little more generous space on the edges).

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

I'm getting sick of putting in contacts anytime I want to use my Valve Index. Does anyone recommend, or have any luck, with the custom 'prescription lenses' for Valve Index that pop up when I Google those terms?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think your best bet is just to look for reviews. I keep meaning to buy a set from VR Optician because they seem to put the most effort into their lenses, but they are currently putting a 35 dollar shipping charge to the US because of DHL's own fee because of the pandemic.

GentlemanGiant
Jan 6, 2013

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

I'm getting sick of putting in contacts anytime I want to use my Valve Index. Does anyone recommend, or have any luck, with the custom 'prescription lenses' for Valve Index that pop up when I Google those terms?

I bought a set from WidmoVR and they work well (https://widmovr.com/product/valve-index-prescription-lens-adapters/), they are basically plastic caps that fit snugly over the lens housings. The only caveat is you will probably have to move the lenses a bit further away from your eyes as they stick out about a half inch.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

VR Optician. I've purchased their lenses for my wife for both Rift and Index, and she said they're perfect. Pricy, but they're good poo poo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I honestly just run the zenni lenses in the little zenni frames that everyone havests the lenses for putting in the 3d printed mounts in the Rift

These guys.

https://www.zennioptical.com/p/metal-alloy-full-rim-frame-with-spring-hinges/5500?skuId=550021

They're so small and the frame is so thin that they fit perfectly inside my rift. I have the 3d printed mount but I got sick of taking it all apart to clean the lenses all the time, so I decided to just try them in the zenni frames and they work perfect and dont hit the rift lenses.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

GentlemanGiant posted:

I bought a set from WidmoVR and they work well (https://widmovr.com/product/valve-index-prescription-lens-adapters/), they are basically plastic caps that fit snugly over the lens housings. The only caveat is you will probably have to move the lenses a bit further away from your eyes as they stick out about a half inch.

I've used these guys for both my Vive and Index and they've been perfect in both counts.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know the exact size of the barrel plug for the HTC Vive breakout (i.e. the headset itself, not the lighthouses as those seem bigger)?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I honestly just run the zenni lenses in the little zenni frames that everyone havests the lenses for putting in the 3d printed mounts in the Rift

These guys.

https://www.zennioptical.com/p/metal-alloy-full-rim-frame-with-spring-hinges/5500?skuId=550021

They're so small and the frame is so thin that they fit perfectly inside my rift. I have the 3d printed mount but I got sick of taking it all apart to clean the lenses all the time, so I decided to just try them in the zenni frames and they work perfect and dont hit the rift lenses.

Yeah if you own glasses, for any reason, you owe it to yourself to buy 2-3 pairs of crappy* glasses from Zenni. If you decline all the scratch protection, tint, etc they really are like $10-12 shipped. 100% worth it

Once a year or so, I login and buy $60 worth of glasses (frames + lenses) which is usually like 1 x $35 pair, and 2 x $15 pair. I have a bunch of pair stashed in my glove box, camping stuff, on the boat etc as backups.

*Zenni aren't crappy, most people I know wear Zenni these days and you wouldn't know they cost $150 less than what you buy at the optician

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

Does anyone know the exact size of the barrel plug for the HTC Vive breakout (i.e. the headset itself, not the lighthouses as those seem bigger)?

Hmm found them here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/51h1rn/power_adapter_answers/

Universal adapters on Amazon (multiple voltages up to 12v and multiple tips) don't cost any more than single-use stuff so I just got a bunch of those that can hit the amps I need.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I got lenses for my Rift S from VR Optician and they're great, highly recommended.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There is a new pack of VR games in Steam, it gives you a 40% off, but it's still a bit expensive
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/14013/The_VR_Adventure_Collection/

How is Shadow Legend VR, by the way? Anyone have played it?

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Hadlock posted:

Yeah if you own glasses, for any reason, you owe it to yourself to buy 2-3 pairs of crappy* glasses from Zenni. If you decline all the scratch protection, tint, etc they really are like $10-12 shipped. 100% worth it

Once a year or so, I login and buy $60 worth of glasses (frames + lenses) which is usually like 1 x $35 pair, and 2 x $15 pair. I have a bunch of pair stashed in my glove box, camping stuff, on the boat etc as backups.

*Zenni aren't crappy, most people I know wear Zenni these days and you wouldn't know they cost $150 less than what you buy at the optician

I'll second this and add that when I ordered a pair just for the lenses together with a regular pair of glasses, I got a human message noting that I had ordered different ipd and wanting my confirmation/suspecting I had made a mistake. It was kind of reassuring, even if it ended up adding an extra day or two.

Also I think it's always worth getting the +$5 anti-reflective coating because of all the light bouncing around in a headset.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Is there something I’m missing with the whole Quest/Rift S & Facebook paranoia thing?

You don’t have to put any personally identifiable information or even a Facebook account in to use these things, so what’s the big deal?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ROFLBOT posted:

Is there something I’m missing with the whole Quest/Rift S & Facebook paranoia thing?

You don’t have to put any personally identifiable information or even a Facebook account in to use these things, so what’s the big deal?

You need a Facebook account for several multiplayer features now where you didn't before. It's pretty much a matter of when, not if, they just go "whoopsie; your Oculus account's a Facebook account now".

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You need a Facebook account for several multiplayer features now where you didn't before. It's pretty much a matter of when, not if, they just go "whoopsie; your Oculus account's a Facebook account now".

To add to this, there's been several changes over the years to bind Oculus tighter to Facebook. Most of them have been individually small and relatively harmless, but overall it shapes to a general trend so obvious that the Facebook haters no longer seem crazy when they rant about it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Turin Turambar posted:

There is a new pack of VR games in Steam, it gives you a 40% off, but it's still a bit expensive
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/14013/The_VR_Adventure_Collection/

How is Shadow Legend VR, by the way? Anyone have played it?

I took a chance on shadow legend a while back and refunded it pretty quickly. It felt like a tech demo and it was janky. Things may have improved. I think this was about a year ago.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's probably also something to do with the fact that Facebook is probably the one tech juggernaut you can easily function on the modern internet without having an account with, I haven't regularly used my Facebook account for about 6 years and definitely resent it being the only option for direct posting screenshots.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LLSix posted:

To add to this, there's been several changes over the years to bind Oculus tighter to Facebook. Most of them have been individually small and relatively harmless, but overall it shapes to a general trend so obvious that the Facebook haters no longer seem crazy when they rant about it.

A lot of the fallout isn't gonna be entirely noticeable yet too, because what they're delivering now is from projects rooted decisions made 2-4 years when they were more Oculus than Facebook. The first real biggie on the horizon is gonna be, well, Facebook Horizon. That and if they ever release that in-headset smart assistant they've brought up once or twice.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ROFLBOT posted:

You can't friend people now without your account tied to a Facebook account, which is pretty much a basic requirement of being able to play with specific people.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Facebook never deserves the benefit of the doubt. No company does. Don't assume 'well it's probably fine' with any of them.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Deathlove posted:

The VR Ears kickstarter is up - I like the Index speakers so I hope these will fill the gap!
They're not open-back, so that'll already change things.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Make a fake Facebook account. Even if you have a real one.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

RandomBlue posted:

You can't friend people now without your account tied to a Facebook account, which is pretty much a basic requirement of being able to play with specific people.

Huh?

I have friends on my oculus account without facebook? Am I missing something? Did I get grandfathered?

Gonna have to try and add someone today. >_>

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Huh?

I have friends on my oculus account without facebook? Am I missing something? Did I get grandfathered?

Yeah I was gonna say, I added a friend on my Quest yesterday with no Facebook account linked.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

Huh?

They changed it, now you need to have a Facebook account linked to add new friends and stuff

njsykora posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, I added a friend on my Quest yesterday with no Facebook account linked.

unless you use the phone app then it lets you for some reason shhhhh

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

njsykora posted:

It's probably also something to do with the fact that Facebook is probably the one tech juggernaut you can easily function on the modern internet without having an account with, I haven't regularly used my Facebook account for about 6 years and definitely resent it being the only option for direct posting screenshots.

I wish there were alternative options, but I, for one, cannot be surprised/shocked/disgusted as I see many people are when this subject appears on Internet, related to the Quest. Like, you bought a Facebook device, designed by Facebook employees, with Facebook software, how can you surprised when the online actions need a Facebook account.
Xbox need a MS account, Playstation needs a Sony account, Steam needs a Steam account, etc.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

They changed it, now you need to have a Facebook account linked to add new friends and stuff

unless you use the phone app then it lets you for some reason shhhhh

Phone app work around. Sweet.

Man thats kinda wack. If they would let me link my brand instead of my personal account I'd give zero fucks. :-\

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

I wish there were alternative options, but I, for one, cannot be surprised/shocked/disgusted as I see many people are when this subject appears on Internet, related to the Quest. Like, you bought a Facebook device, designed by Facebook employees, with Facebook software, how can you surprised when the online actions need a Facebook account.
Xbox need a MS account, Playstation needs a Sony account, Steam needs a Steam account, etc.

I think people are more appropriately skeptical towards Facebook so the lesson here is you should be equally skeptical of everyone else, not Facebook in particular, but yeah the lesson is that all giant corporations are evil

That said I don't think a throwaway account is in and of itself a big deal, but it's an annoying stupid hurdle. They do stupid garbage like put your rl name everywhere, it sucks

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

That said I don't think a throwaway account is in and of itself a big deal, but it's an annoying stupid hurdle. They do stupid garbage like put your rl name everywhere, it sucks

This right here is why my oculus account has basically no friends on it anyways. I signed up before I started doing content poo poo, but didnt use facebook thinking "oh ill be able to pick a display name"

NOPE

First and Last name, in big print on multiple screens in home. Then anyone I was friends with, got my entire loving name too with no way to edit or change it. And OFC I used my "real name" on the stuff in case I had to like, recover things or w/e down the road.

They "kinda" added some privacy poo poo but its still unnnghh.

OCULUS JUST LET ME LINK A BRAND ACCOUNT

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

It's not that it needs a Facebook account, it's that it will only post screenshots/video clips to Facebook. Apple don't stop you using Spotify to make you use Apple Music, Microsoft don't stop you streaming to Twitch to push Mixer, hell Oculus themselves don't stop you playing games from other stores like Steam. Posting screenshots to Twitter is such a base function in modern consoles that it's weird to not have it, even on a system produced by a supposed rival.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I loved this Index gun foregrip design so much I remixed it to add room for Valve's grip boosters: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4310742

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemming posted:

I think people are more appropriately skeptical towards Facebook

A fine stance, I don't have a problem with it. But then just don't buy a Facebook product!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walks
Sep 11, 2006

:dukedog:
So I guess the new update for BoxVR broke the game for a lot of people. Myself included.

Hope they get that fixed soon. Was a bummer not getting my cardio in today.