Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Did transfers get fixed, or are people just rerolling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a way to double-box in Homecoming?

Just to clarify because I think atomicgeek skipped over the basic part; "double-boxing" in Homecoming is accomplished like this:

-Create a second account on the forums at https://forums.homecomingservers.com/
-In the launcher, select "Homecoming (64-Bit)", then click the Play button twice.

You can just buy the "Shadowy Presence" power from P2W on your second account, join the other account's team and hop into the mission and kick off that power, and you're golden. Just make sure you fight a bit away from your hidden character so it doesn't get murdered by aoes.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I re-rolled my Ambrose Chase character from live (dp/time blaster) as a time/dp defender and I'm personally really like the time powerset so far. I'm not usually a Defender type guy, but its fun.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Comfortador posted:

Ambrose Chase

oh! for gently caress's sake, THAT's who your avatar is, lol

dual pistols has sssome DPS issues due to its lengthy animations, but my second-highest character is a DP/martial blaster because it works well enough anyway. even better on a support character!

time is supposed to be one of the better defender sets, due to having a diverse collection of solutions to various problems

Platonicsolid posted:

Did transfers get fixed, or are people just rerolling?

afaik server transfers have worked for quite a while, you're limited to 5/day is all

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah transferring my characters to Excelsior worked just fine once I finally settled on new names for a couple of them.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

LordSaturn posted:

oh! for gently caress's sake, THAT's who your avatar is, lol

Yeah when the game went away my avatar was bought for me, and he had to make the character cause he didn't have access to a pic of mine. Mine is a little different design but close enough. :)

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

dual pistols takes procs very, very well though. god it is a loving proc machine.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

hobocrunch posted:

But I'm looking to reroll something supporty whether it's a tank / cc / another defender, what's the need right now? (Assuming always healers). Though I'm Aussie anyhow not sure how much I'll get to play with yall.

Don't heal. Heals are for suckers.

The real support in COH is speed. Anything that makes people recharge faster, hit harder or just plain run faster.

If you don't wanna do that, the next most effective thing is making your team get hit less. There's a couple good defender sets for this... plus there are 2.5 entire archetypes. Controllers and Dominators, and kinda Masterminds using their pets as cannon fodder.

Late game, if people are taking significant damage they can't heal themselves, they're probably taking it fast enough that your heal won't finish casting before they're dead.

There's no tank/dps/healer trinity in this game. Some of the most effective groups are 8x blasters just absolutely MELTING anything that dares look their way. Or 8x defenders all buffed to the gills, spamming their most powerful attacks with reduced cooldown, reduced end, maxed out defenses and resistances. Or 8x stalkers just running to the end of a map and one shotting the boss and his entire squad with crit AOEs.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

forgot to respond to that, but Relentless has the right of it: there's no "need" in this game in the sense that you mean, and healing is the weakest form of support. spicy team comps own, although every so often you will get merced by a particularly challenging TF boss or whatever. 8x blaster is great until you have to fight your clones in Posi 2 lol

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
In addition, there are a number of good support powers that not only wake up a KO'd teammate but give them (or the team) a huge boost. There is pretty much no real downside to getting KO'd in this game.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Ali Aces posted:

Just to clarify because I think atomicgeek skipped over the basic part; "double-boxing" in Homecoming is accomplished like this:

-Create a second account on the forums at https://forums.homecomingservers.com/
-In the launcher, select "Homecoming (64-Bit)", then click the Play button twice.

Wait, is this a thing? I had absolutely NO IDEA about any of this, tbh. Thank you! (I just have two computers, with a different account running on each.)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

atomicgeek posted:

Yeah, it's not terribly hard. The method I use is HotkeyNet and some rudimentary commands to make my secondary character fire off attacks when the main does, but I guess there's no reason you couldn't just group up your two accounts and park the low-level one at the door.

Sorry, I meant from the same account.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

hobocrunch posted:

I used to have a Poison defender named Quiltsharts.

But I'm looking to reroll something supporty whether it's a tank / cc / another defender, what's the need right now? (Assuming always healers). Though I'm Aussie anyhow not sure how much I'll get to play with yall.

Tanks got a shitload of buffs since you last played so I'd say try one of those out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

For solo play, is there any reason to roll a Tank instead of a Brute?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Inzombiac posted:

For solo play, is there any reason to roll a Tank instead of a Brute?

Bigger AoEs.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Tsurupettan posted:

dual pistols takes procs very, very well though. god it is a loving proc machine.

Ive seen this statement several times in a COH context (not necessarily with dual pistols), what exactly does it mean?
Not what a proc is, but what do people mean when they say this in CoH?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

My dreams of a 30's style gangster with a tommy gun and stone skin (AR/Stone Armor Sentinel) named "Rock Mobster" is destroyed, name is taken :negative:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Off the top of my head, something like Big Stone Malone?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

Ive seen this statement several times in a COH context (not necessarily with dual pistols), what exactly does it mean?
Not what a proc is, but what do people mean when they say this in CoH?

In CoX, a proc refers to specific Invention Origin Enhancements(the things that you slot in your attacks) that have a chance to do a specific proc effect, usually on activation. There are a few procs that can be slotted into auto or toggle powers that would have a chance to proc upwards to 3 times a minute.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
My first ever quote=! edit!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Off the top of my head, something like Big Stone Malone?

"Rock Mobster" was the lynchpin to the whole plan but I might do it anyway

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Harrow posted:

Yeah transferring my characters to Excelsior worked just fine once I finally settled on new names for a couple of them.

Sweet, I'd thought they were broken/suspended at some point. Time to unload base storage into my pockets!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Brave New World posted:

In CoX, a proc refers to specific Invention Origin Enhancements(the things that you slot in your attacks) that have a chance to do a specific proc effect, usually on activation. There are a few procs that can be slotted into auto or toggle powers that would have a chance to proc upwards to 3 times a minute.

They look like this. One of the last things the game did was standardize them to X times per minute, so they'll always happen on anything that fires slower and have a proportional chance to happen on anything that fires faster, based on its enhanced recharge.

(This proc is kind of hilarious in Chain Induction since it can check on every jump.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Ha, the name Focused Totality was open and I wanted to try psi melee, so I now have a psi/willpower stalker

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I.... apparently deleted half of the characters I made. Which I would have no reason to do. I can live without the inventories, but the names.... I was still within my goddamn year and those characters were all at least level 25, what the hell.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Did anyone ever come up with a guide to tweaking graphics in this post-Homecoming era? Because I think it's ridiculous that a game from 2012 is maxing out a 1060.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Did anyone ever come up with a guide to tweaking graphics in this post-Homecoming era? Because I think it's ridiculous that a game from 2012 is maxing out a 1060.

How's your current driver's OpenGL support? There have been reports of some driver distributions for modern cards leaving that one out, though the manufacturer usually provides somewhere.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm going to play a fire/earth dom and nobody can stop me

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

please knock Mom! posted:

I mean, I did Ice/Earth on Live back in the day, so...

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Be a rebel who doesn't let other people tell you what to do and follow the beat of your own drum.

Because that's what HEROES* DO!

*and villains mind you

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I want to get into those because something about being a melee dom just scrapperlocking away with hot feet or arctic air looks so fun. Earth's melee focus is unique and 2 close range AoEs looks good on paper.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
Does anyone have or have a link to a Tanker Fire/Rad build? Briggs and a bunch of the ones I find online are all Brutes and use Brute specific enhancements. So I can't easily steal from them. :) (A Farming tanker)

Oh, on a sidenote Incarnates are completely new to me. I took Musculature for my alpha slot, but I'm not really sure where to go from there. Any advice/recommendations?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

please knock Mom! posted:

Earth/Fire is just so much more aesthetically pleasing, though....

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Any huge difference between Broad Sword, Axe and Mace?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Mace has substantially different moves and is stronger, IIRC

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Broad sword is slower, heavier feeling, higher damage per activation katana. Mace is maybe objectively better than Axe, which is maybe the worst melee set at this point.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Cosmetically, Mace's moves look a lot like the other two, with some differences in mechanics (defense bonus for BS/Parry, etc., KD for some of WM's moves, etc.), so the usual "play whatever gives you the most aesthetic pleasure" caveats apply, but War Mace really does completely outshine the other two in terms of damage. I slotted both scrapper ATO sets in my WM/Bio as soon as I could and it was just astonishing.

Still have so many good feelings for my old BS/Shield from the live servers just because of how the powers felt and the costume options (particularly had fun with that one), but there's no comparison.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Cosmetically, Mace's moves look a lot like the other two, with some differences in mechanics (defense bonus for BS/Parry, etc., KD for some of WM's moves, etc.), so the usual "play whatever gives you the most aesthetic pleasure" caveats apply, but War Mace really does completely outshine the other two in terms of damage. I slotted both scrapper ATO sets in my WM/Bio as soon as I could and it was just astonishing.

Still have so many good feelings for my old BS/Shield from the live servers just because of how the powers felt and the costume options (particularly had fun with that one), but there's no comparison.

How is Shield? I just started a WM/Shield scrapper.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I made a BS/Shield scrapper to make some kind of armored Jedi look but it's not really clicking with me.

I'm starting to realize I only really enjoy playing Masterminds and Corruptors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Against All Odds feels really nuts in a good way