Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

All the more reason that Sephiroth, logically, should kill Aerith ASAP next time she goes to pee in the woods, BEFORE she can summon Holy.

It's entirely possible he needs her alive until at least he can get his hands on the Black Materia. There would probably be some narrative conceit involving that, since Aerith is a required party member for that section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Just Andi Now posted:

It's entirely possible he needs her alive until at least he can get his hands on the Black Materia. There would probably be some narrative conceit involving that, since Aerith is a required party member for that section.

Turns out Sephiroth was completely stumped by that clock puzzle.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Just Andi Now posted:

Aerith's death or non-death wouldn't change anything for Sephiroth if he just survives long enough for Meteor to hit. Lifestream itself wouldn't be able to help. It was needed because Holy was too late because the party took too long to defeat Sephiroth. As long as he survives that little bit longer, it'll be too late for even Aerith and the Lifestream to help.

If Aerith can find a way to talk to the planet you think she wouldn't be able to find a way to talk to WEAPONS? Bear in mind it's implied she's just as aware of the future as Sephiroth is, we're all talking about how he might have to change up his game plan not thinking she might be changing up hers as well. They are counterparts and as much as he'd probably hate to admit it since Cloud is Sephiroth's personal obsession Aerith is the one who can ruin his plans dead or alive. Cloud is the one who can finish the job.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 23, 2020

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I keep remembering the "Cloud flips out and beats Aerith up" scene and, considering how hard Sephiroth is pushing the manipulation of Cloud and making him feel powerless, I wonder if he's trying to set Cloud up to accidentally kill Aerith himself and just emotionally destroy him. Two big opponents taken out at the same time, and possibly the rest of the party being horrified by their team leader.

Would be a hell of an end to part 2 at least, and a hard start to part 3.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Aerith will survive, and Sephiroth will have 'avoided' becoming a puppet for Jenova. The two of them are the only ones who remember the original timeline, and they're both fighting to change fate.

Sephiroth will probably be a playable party member for at least a portion of the 2nd game- playing at still being the hero he once was supposed to be and wanting to change things, and then later still trying to bring about the end of humanity because Jenova's influence still creeps in. Aerith has to sacrifice herself to become part of the lifestream and ultimately the end of the whole thing is the same as the original- with the added despair of having tried to fight against fate and having to accept that they had to bow down to it.

because thats how it feels to have to create the FF7 Remake when you'd rather be making something new, the whole of this FF7 remake series is a metaphor for itself.

theres no way they do this and theres no way its true but its what i keep imagining

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 23, 2020

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Schwartzcough posted:

I think the widely accepted interpretation is that Holy finally got released when Sephiroth was defeated, and it TRIED to stop Meteor, but it was too late to do it safely where it didn't put the planet/life on the planet at risk. The Lifestream then erupted to help Holy push Meteor away where it could explode safely. And it's heavily implied that Aerith being in the lifestream was instrumental in having the lifestream come out to help save the day, based on the final shot of a praying, smiling Aerith illuminated in lifestream glow.

So it's that final bit that indicates that her being dead was kind of critical.

Aerith helps the team from beyond the grave metaphorically and literally - she motivates them to go on and communicates with the planet on their behalf.

Which she did anyway. It's less tragic maybe, but she didn't need to die and I didn't see anything that indicated she gained more power by dying.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Squidtentacle posted:

I keep remembering the "Cloud flips out and beats Aerith up" scene and, considering how hard Sephiroth is pushing the manipulation of Cloud and making him feel powerless, I wonder if he's trying to set Cloud up to accidentally kill Aerith himself and just emotionally destroy him. Two big opponents taken out at the same time, and possibly the rest of the party being horrified by their team leader.

This would be the darkest possible interpretation yes. But it's so dark I'm not sure they'll roll with that. It kinda feels like the first half of avengers endgame tbh.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 23, 2020

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I think the Remake was really good. I think they got close to the edge towards the end with like fighting like Mr. Purple Bahamut but I don't think it went off the rails. I share people's concern with this giving them license to poo poo all over the story and put in like Vincent Valentine DLC in the future, but I think this game has bought Squeenix some goodwill and trust.

I didn't like all of the changes but I honestly loved the vast majority of them.
One of my favorite things was they played the monsters in the original so straight and made them these epic bosses.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Squidtentacle posted:

If we take some of the original framing this will only work if Cloud strangles Cait Sith the night before.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

zedprime posted:

If we take some of the original framing this will only work if Cloud strangles Cait Sith the night before.

And make it a mini game ala Punch out.....Choke out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

zedprime posted:

no lungs, no windpipe. reeve thought of everything

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The twist will be that Reeve isn't the one controlling Cait Sith this time.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

no lungs, no windpipe. reeve thought of everything

The brilliant bastard. He can just keep poo poo talking the entire time...

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

zedprime posted:

Speaking of which in the original after Aerith's death what the gently caress is Cait Sith's reaction?
It like almost looks like the mog doll is like thrusting in Cloud's face.
Can someone explain?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i well and truly have no loving idea how Cait will be incorporated with the remake's graphics, his default model is so hilariously incongruous that it might be a bridge too far with all party members constantly present

maybe they'll keep him in a non-combat role and have him occasionally pair up with Red like in Advent Children

and even then, the circumstances of Cait joining the party at all are out of step with modern design sensibilities. in RPG's of the time we would think nothing of some new weirdo muscling their way in every [x] number of hours, which is part of the reason why Cait being a double agent came as a shock. FF7R tries to apply more realistic context to a lot of its events, so that scene will probably have a major rewrite

pasaluki posted:

Speaking of which in the original after Aerith's death what the gently caress is Cait Sith's reaction?
It like almost looks like the mog doll is like thrusting in Cloud's face.
Can someone explain?

that animation is the same for his fortune-telling, so he might be trying to get Mog to spit out something hopeful only to give up and walk off

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I did idly wonder if Cait Sith would even be a major part of the story this time, but then they put him in the plate falling FMV, so...

I definitely expect him to be given a stronger reason to travel with the party (or, rather, for the party to let him come along). I wouldn't mind if he had a non-combat role, but I dunno, the remake so far hasn't really shied away from the cartoonier elements of FF7 (Hell House, for example) so maybe they'll just lean into it, make him some kind of combination bard (with the megaphone and shouts) and bruiser (the big moogle-bear doll beating things up).

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm curious if he'll even still have the giant moogle with him. It's never shown up in any of the spinoffs/expanded universe stuff and he didn't have it in his brief cameo in this game either.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

i well and truly have no loving idea how Cait will be incorporated with the remake's graphics, his default model is so hilariously incongruous that it might be a bridge too far with all party members constantly present

maybe they'll keep him in a non-combat role and have him occasionally pair up with Red like in Advent Children

and even then, the circumstances of Cait joining the party at all are out of step with modern design sensibilities. in RPG's of the time we would think nothing of some new weirdo muscling their way in every [x] number of hours, which is part of the reason why Cait being a double agent came as a shock. FF7R tries to apply more realistic context to a lot of its events, so that scene will probably have a major rewrite

that animation is the same for his fortune-telling, so he might be trying to get Mog to spit out something hopeful only to give up and walk off

Cait will be a prize that Cloud wins for one of the girls at the Gold Saucer only to realize later he's not a plush toy and he's never going to shut up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I thought Red XIII would be a weird addition to the remake too but once he started calling Barret a 300lb sack of poo poo I was onboard. Cait Sith is a harder sell but maybe they can make him less lame somehow.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Rhonne posted:

I'm curious if he'll even still have the giant moogle with him. It's never shown up in any of the spinoffs/expanded universe stuff and he didn't have it in his brief cameo in this game either.

it's in the beginning of advent children

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

I thought Red XIII would be a weird addition to the remake too but once he started calling Barret a 300lb sack of poo poo I was onboard. Cait Sith is a harder sell but maybe they can make him less lame somehow.

Just have Cait Sith ride Red XIII problem solved.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

I would be shocked, but really impressed if Cait Sith was playable. I could see him having a pretty cool moveset and he already has the best limit in the game.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

cait sith rules and im more excited to see him back than any other party member

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They gave Cait Sith a really prominent appearance in an important scene in this part, put in a bunch of Reeve scenes, and did things like turning the Hell House into an elaborate boss fight. Playable Cait Sith is extremely possible.

I bet he'll mostly be a slow bruiser-type that attacks with the giant moogle doll's fists, with an attack that involves the moogle doll throwing Cait Sith at something, and maybe some bard-like buff/debuff abilities that are shouts from his megaphone.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Bleck posted:

it's in the beginning of advent children

it actually wasn't originally, they edited it back in in later releases

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Flopsy posted:

Just have Cait Sith ride Red XIII problem solved.

cait and red quietly going down some corridor

"...wanna be friends?"
..."yeah, okay"

your choice as to who says what!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Every playable party member in this game had a section where they were the focal point(Barret in the underground lab, Aerith at Corneo's mansion, Tifa when she was jungle gyming her way though the Shinra building and in Hojo's lab), so I can't wait for the Cait Sith solo section.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

no way theyre taking out any of the cast from being playable, that's way too important to this being a remake. theres always the possibility they could add another party member later on though..........

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Whatever narrative twists they throw into the remainder of the series I hope they at least give a definitive end to the story instead of trailing off into vague bullshit and ~*leaving the player to draw their own conclusions*~ which seems to be a richly beloved Japanese narrative tradition judging by how often it comes up in video games.

When I go to a restaurant I don't want the chef to dump a bunch of half-cooked ingredients on my table, plug in a hotplate and yell at me to figure the rest out myself.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

You think we'll end up meeting more Turks outside of the ones everyone knows? Wasn't there a phone game or something that showed more of them?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rhonne posted:

You think we'll end up meeting more Turks outside of the ones everyone knows? Wasn't there a phone game or something that showed more of them?

Kyrie and Leslie are already from some Turk EU fiction.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

Whatever narrative twists they throw into the remainder of the series I hope they at least give a definitive end to the story instead of trailing off into vague bullshit and ~*leaving the player to draw their own conclusions*~ which seems to be a richly beloved Japanese narrative tradition judging by how often it comes up in video games.

When I go to a restaurant I don't want the chef to dump a bunch of half-cooked ingredients on my table, plug in a hotplate and yell at me to figure the rest out myself.

Also a richly beloved theme in Japanese restaurants. No I'm not joking that's literally hot pot. A bowl of heated broth is brought to the table and you add in raw ingredients at your leisure. It's delicious.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Flopsy posted:

Also a richly beloved theme in Japanese restaurants. No I'm not joking that's literally hot pot. A bowl of heated broth is brought to the table and you add in raw ingredients at your leisure. It's delicious.

Also Korean bbqs

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DemoneeHo posted:

jenova'd
'rothed

Take your pick

hojjed

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sapozhnik posted:

lol

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

sharrrk posted:

it actually wasn't originally, they edited it back in in later releases

the corrected editions, clearly

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Sapozhnik posted:

This makes me laugh because now I'm just thinking about how much I want some Korean BBQ.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
OG FF7 already ended on an ambiguous note

it's not hard to walk away from it thinking that the planet wiped out all humans along with meteor

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

cheetah7071 posted:

OG FF7 already ended on an ambiguous note

it's not hard to walk away from it thinking that the planet wiped out all humans along with meteor

And that's the superior ending (since it invalidates Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
They can't have the giant Cait Sith moogle. How would he slowly squeeze through tiny spaces or inch along narrow ledges?

Cavelcade posted:

Aerith helps the team from beyond the grave metaphorically and literally - she motivates them to go on and communicates with the planet on their behalf.

Which she did anyway. It's less tragic maybe, but she didn't need to die and I didn't see anything that indicated she gained more power by dying.

Aerith in the original could barely communicate with the spirits of the ancients standing right in front of her, and could only get vague feelings and half-understood communication from the planet. I don't think a living Aerith could literally summon a giant pillar of lifestream out of the planet.