Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

That was nice of Hunter to write.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
As with the other McMahons she would work fine in smaller doses, but the family just can’t not constantly put themselves over.

Vellius
Sep 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

As with the other McMahons she would work fine in smaller doses, but the family just can’t not constantly put themselves over.

yeah, the thing that so many modern authority angles seem to miss is that mr. mcmahon was ultimately a buffoon who showed his rear end when the time came. he repeatedly got comeuppance; meanwhile, even when the authority lost, they didn't really lose. steph rarely looked weak or foolish, even with the women.

that weird detour of the becky angle last year where she actively rebelled against the authority, only to turn around and politely apologize so she could keep her mania match, as well as the angle where the authority was disbanded after a year or so of oppressive dominance, only to come back the next week are peak examples of someone not getting why the vince stuff used to work.

nobody wants to tune in and see the hero helplessly eat poo poo from their bosses for months on end while the weasely office sycophant gets ahead.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Vellius posted:

yeah, the thing that so many modern authority angles seem to miss is that mr. mcmahon was ultimately a buffoon who showed his rear end when the time came. he repeatedly got comeuppance; meanwhile, even when the authority lost, they didn't really lose. steph rarely looked weak or foolish, even with the women.

that weird detour of the becky angle last year where she actively rebelled against the authority, only to turn around and politely apologize so she could keep her mania match, as well as the angle where the authority was disbanded after a year or so of oppressive dominance, only to come back the next week are peak examples of someone not getting why the vince stuff used to work.

nobody wants to tune in and see the hero helplessly eat poo poo from their bosses for months on end while the weasely office sycophant gets ahead.

Yeah but she might accidentally go through a table every 18 months so def worth it imo

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Writer Cath posted:

That was nice of Hunter to write.
:lol:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

beepo posted:

Yeah but she might accidentally go through a table every 18 months so def worth it imo

I at least sorta get this. You can't have a male wrestler purposefully inflict violence on Stephanie. Ever. Period. The end. The spots she did at WM32 and 33 are about as much comeuppance as she can get for tormenting a male superstar. And, uh, after showing off her loving world class submission defense she did eventually let Ronda beat the poo poo out of her a few times? So. Yay?

It's fuckin' weird that they actually had a situation where Steph could perfectly play Vince by tormenting Becky week in and week out and instead they just put Becky in a series of heatless garbage feuds against a bunch of loving nobodies (and Asuka).

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
It's almost as if the second generation of the evil boss is treated with literal kid gloves when it comes to receiving comeuppance.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Isn't Steph the third generation of the evil boss?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MJeff posted:

Vince only brings up his father when it suits his purposes to sell the idea of WWE being dominant for so long, most of the rest of the time he likes to pretend he's a self-made man who single-handedly created a company that immediately went National and "saved" the pro-wrestling industry.

His grandfather was a promoter too I think, but strictly boxing?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Jerusalem posted:

Vince only brings up his father when it suits his purposes to sell the idea of WWE being dominant for so long, most of the rest of the time he likes to pretend he's a self-made man who single-handedly created a company that immediately went National and "saved" the pro-wrestling industry.

His grandfather was a promoter too I think, but strictly boxing?

Jess McMahon was primarily a boxing and baseball promoter but did promote some wrestling too in New York in the thirties where he worked with Carlos Louis Henriquez and Jim Browning

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

ronda kayfabe broke Stephanie's arm. that was the one time she did ok I think. the tag match also was very fun and easily the best thing on that wrestlemania.

also vince sr was never an in ring character was he?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Remember when Stephanie and Brie were feuding and instead of Stephanie getting her comeuppance at the end she somehow replaced herself in the feud with Nikki and then somehow Nikki won the feud and made her sister her slave and then they just dropped the angle completely?

Good times, good times.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vellius posted:

It's kind of the offshoot of them trying to have their cake and eat it with nice Unca' Paul and Auntie Steph talking about their NXT kids and WWE's charity work (it's the furture of marketing, doncha know) while being evil heels in hour 2 of the show before the video package about Make A Wish airs and they're back to being good guys.

Basically, WWE The Company Is Good, so babyfaces can't be shown to be in conflict with the company, even if the heels are representing the company. If the company is Good, then the good guy is the dilligent employee that loves their brand and is grateful for the opportunity to work for such a great business, not someone who says "gently caress da Man".

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I know it's sort of cheating to post Ryan Satin, but I'm just astonished at how often one person can be wrong about wrestling.

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1253357261193273345

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

MrBling posted:

I know it's sort of cheating to post Ryan Satin, but I'm just astonished at how often one person can be wrong about wrestling.

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1253357261193273345

Meltzer has now dunked on Satin to the point that Satin is reduced to this

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1253358788490321920

This all started because Satin was concern trolling about last night’s jobber kicking out of Omega’s V-trigger — which isn’t even his finisher

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Rock never made a guy like the Hurricane look like a million bucks

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

people are saying Satin won that exchange. I don't really care either way. its like that one video of those two guys furiously flipping each other off. Laughable.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

How did Satin grow up watching wrestling and miss HHH vs Taka Michinoku, HHH's actual best match ever.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MJeff posted:

I'm stuck on "Cripple H".

Why is he a cripple?
IWC nickname from like, literally 18 years ago when he was injured. This dude's still using it in TYOOL 2020.

MJeff posted:

Boss, yes. Evil, depends on who you talk to, but Vince's dad was making handshake deals specifically not to compete with other promotions in their territories back in the day to keep competition alive, until VKM took over and WELP.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Vince Sr ran a protection racket come on now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

Vince Sr ran a protection racket come on now.

Lots of guys who do poo poo like that have legit businesses too

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Ryan Satin works for WWE

or even more pathetic, he doesn't

Vellius
Sep 22, 2007

Vandar posted:

Remember when Stephanie and Brie were feuding and instead of Stephanie getting her comeuppance at the end she somehow replaced herself in the feud with Nikki and then somehow Nikki won the feud and made her sister her slave and then they just dropped the angle completely?

Good times, good times.

this was one of the things that really broke me when i was still pretty engaged with wwe, because the lack of care was SO blatant.

'you should have died in the womb!!' back to twin magic out of the blue, with zero comment; it's like they were just daring some nerd to care.

Gaz-L posted:

If the company is Good, then the good guy is the dilligent employee that loves their brand and is grateful for the opportunity to work for such a great business, not someone who says "gently caress da Man".

yeah, which is ridiculous in the context of tyool 2020 in general and the wwe in specific, but nobody ever accused vince of being too in touch with reality.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vandar posted:

Good times, good times.

It was also symptomatic of a wider issue in the WWE, in that HHH and Steph never really got their comeuppance, other than that one time when Dolph was the one to end them with an assist from Sting, only for it to be undone about a week or two later. If that was the plan, surely they could have held off on that until they were going into WrestleMania at least?

It's like the Summer of Punk circa 2011 as well. They could have let it stew, but instead, they booked Cena to look like an utter dickhead at Mysterio's expense about a week after Punk left with the title, just so they could hotshot his return.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
https://twitter.com/NumberTenRoIe/status/1253428127503495175

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
"real sports entertainment fans"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it’s a joke wrestling twitter

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Everyone's least favorite account McLevy76 (the lovely WWE loving McBain avatar guy) has been suspended for telling people to kill themselves. A great deal for humanity.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

That has to be the fastest suspension I've ever seen from Twitter

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Which wealthy rapist was he defending this time?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OctoberCountry posted:

Which wealthy rapist was he defending this time?

He has been pissed at Erick Stevens and someone in his mentions trolled him.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

jamalohs reply is so funny lol

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Even by Vincel standards McLevy is a real piece of work

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Google Ads, I will sleep with mature singles at a time & place of my own choosing.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/toshanshuinLA/status/1253506948999385089

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

pressing f for gently caress that guy

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Oh look the dipshits have a YouTube