Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

my dad posted:

If you want to understand what kind of stupid poo poo:

In addition to just increasing the accuracy of your wrestling "attack", wrestling skill means you're on par with larger, stronger enemies when determining your ability to inflict and resist wrestling moves. It's not THAT big of a deal normally (which is why in the Arena tournament, Panty Thief the Yeti could turn people into pretzels with fairly rudimentrary wrestling skills) - but since it scales indefinitely, insanely highly leveled wrestlers can juggle trolls and give forgotten beasts a run for the money.

You can get some interesting results with hammers and spears with their respective skills for similar reasons.

two words

dragon dentistry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
As an experiment many years ago in the combat mechanics I decided to try a character that would use a wooden sword and gear and see how that panned out. I then trained under a towns keep where a bunch of goblins were in the basement and I could fight them repeatedly since they'd respawn when I left due to a bug at the time. It took a long time to generate enough skill to even cut off hands.

Eventually I grew tired of being given quests to kill night creatures and tracked down a dragon on my own from rumours. Basically, the sword did not work. It couldn't inflict any meaningful bleeding status on the dragon, and the only things I was able to sever were the toe claws. That being said, character was skilled enough she could knock it unconscious with a stab to the head, but three days of beating on it basically accomplished nothing except possibly giving the dragon lingering concussive brain injury. Eventually I had to strangle it, pausing with it in my grip every so often to bash it back into dreamland with the sword when it woke up. That elf went on to strangle many more dragons in her career, and in her final battle before I retired her she killed a giant tarantula titan with her teeth by biting it in the head.

That character killed more titans with her shield than she did with her sword. It was ridiculous. Got up to about legendary +60 sword though (Because unlike an actually useful sword, a cedar sword cannot really cut people and your training dummies don't bleed to death as fast, a major problem when training adventurer sword).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

When Captain Elfmerica throws her mighty shield
All those who chose to oppose her shield must yield
When it's time for a fight
And a duel is due
Then the E and the L and the F will come through...

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Yeah. Elf was the only way I could get a wooden starter sword and shield. Found some wooden chainmail and armour in various night creature dens. Good times looking back on it. Might try it out again when the steam release comes through.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pickled Tink posted:

As an experiment many years ago in the combat mechanics I decided to try a character that would use a wooden sword and gear and see how that panned out. I then trained under a towns keep where a bunch of goblins were in the basement and I could fight them repeatedly since they'd respawn when I left due to a bug at the time. It took a long time to generate enough skill to even cut off hands.

Eventually I grew tired of being given quests to kill night creatures and tracked down a dragon on my own from rumours. Basically, the sword did not work. It couldn't inflict any meaningful bleeding status on the dragon, and the only things I was able to sever were the toe claws. That being said, character was skilled enough she could knock it unconscious with a stab to the head, but three days of beating on it basically accomplished nothing except possibly giving the dragon lingering concussive brain injury. Eventually I had to strangle it, pausing with it in my grip every so often to bash it back into dreamland with the sword when it woke up. That elf went on to strangle many more dragons in her career, and in her final battle before I retired her she killed a giant tarantula titan with her teeth by biting it in the head.

That character killed more titans with her shield than she did with her sword. It was ridiculous. Got up to about legendary +60 sword though (Because unlike an actually useful sword, a cedar sword cannot really cut people and your training dummies don't bleed to death as fast, a major problem when training adventurer sword).

The secret is that sure, the fight with the dragon might not have been glorious, but you don't have to tell people that version. Who's going to contradict you? The dragon?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Seems pretty glorious to me. Strangled a dragon with your bare hands? That's some Tulkas-level poo poo, right there.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Pickled Tink posted:

This makes me curious: Strangulation itself does not cause unconsciousness, but blunt head trauma does?
You'd think being choked would sort of prevent waking up - and also that it seems to do 'cumulative' strangle damage?

I mean, my most notable experience with this was a dwarf trying to choke out his own child but dying of thirst before finishing the job (at which point the demons busted into the room and tore the kid to pieces).

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

DarkDobe posted:

a dwarf trying to choke out his own child but dying of thirst before finishing the job (at which point the demons busted into the room and tore the kid to pieces).

new title

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
which Simpson's Halloween Special was that

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

toad ohoj

:frogc00l: posted:

This week, we've started in on the world map. There are a ton of tiles to reference, and the edges and layering are a little tricky, but hopefully we'll have some images soon.

First look at machines

I can't show a useful machine yet, but here is a windmill turning some axles and gear assemblies. Off to the right you can see a hint of a tree shadow.
Here's a fuller picture of where we are with that: tree shadows.

DF's multitile trees are a challenge to draw - even indicating that they are a living tree and not a stump down at the base level takes some work. The artists went with foliage shadows, and it does the job!

can't wait to see the world map finally get gfx it deserves

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What a time to be alive.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I was fine with Steam Fortress shipping with a tileset, but I didn't expect it to be, y'know, actually good.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

I was fine with Steam Fortress shipping with a tileset, but I didn't expect it to be, y'know, actually good.

This almost an entirely new game.

I just hope there is an option for "classic" DF with the ASCII tileset.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The base game will still be updated and freely available on Bay12games.com

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Honestly, I don't think I want to play the game anymore until the nice tileset comes out. I know how good it looks and how cool it would be to play with it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Zesty posted:

The base game will still be updated and freely available on Bay12games.com

Yeah but I'd like to just have it all consolidated under one executable on Steam. I'm gonna buy the Steam version either way, but I'd like to have the choice to play with graphics or the ASCII tileset. I don't think it would be difficult to have that option.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
What we really need in the steam version is voice acting.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Vengarr posted:

What we really need in the steam version is voice acting.

Procedurally-generated voice acting, depending on the species, age, size, sex and injuries of the speaker. This will take up 40% of a CPU and somehow cause your dwarves to kill each other constantly.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

All i need is procedurally generated insults targeted specifically at elves.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Tenebrais posted:

Procedurally-generated voice acting, depending on the species, age, size, sex and injuries of the speaker. This will take up 40% of a CPU and somehow cause your dwarves to kill each other constantly.

- fixed issue where extremely low-frequency sound would make players deeply uncomfortable and damage subwoofers because the entire world map was assigned a voice

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
- allowed ettins to harmonize with themselves

A week later:

- stopped dwarves from getting a bad thought when they fail to sing accompaniment with themselves

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

piratepilates posted:

Honestly, I don't think I want to play the game anymore until the nice tileset comes out. I know how good it looks and how cool it would be to play with it.

Isn't this just the way of Dwarf Fortress? Once a new version comes out and is sufficiently patched there's a few weeks where the game is fantastic and you can play in peace... Then Toady starts posting about all the cool poo poo coming next time and you can't imagine playing without that so you wait another 2 years for the next version and the cycle continues.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is my Dwarf Song it is A Dwarf Song!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

will not be satisfied until my dwarves procedurally generate an equivalent to Diggy Diggy Hole (with choreography)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytWz0qVvBZ0

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Excelzior posted:

will not be satisfied until my dwarves procedurally generate an equivalent to Diggy Diggy Hole (with choreography)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytWz0qVvBZ0

At least post the good version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34CZjsEI1yU

(j/k they're both awesome)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
man I haven't paid attention to yogscast anything in a long-rear end time, I remember when they posted the original video of them playing minecraft and simon said that one-off jingle, and then it became a small running gag, and now it's multiple professionally-made music videos with tens of millions of views.

I dunno if my psyche could take that kind of pressure if I were simon/lewis, jesus

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm really curious what Toady has worked out with Kitfox with respect to ongoing support. Most Steam games aren't getting updates anymore when they're more than a year or two old. Many times not even that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm really curious what Toady has worked out with Kitfox with respect to ongoing support. Most Steam games aren't getting updates anymore when they're more than a year or two old. Many times not even that.
One advantage of DF here is that there are probably not a whole lot of new objects about to be created. The details may vary it up but there's not likely to, for instance, be Hobbits and Kender added as something comparable to goblins and elves. While the underlying systems will no doubt be improved, the tileset may not need to be heavily revised or will only need minor additions in the future.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Not sure how it would work with Steam but DF already has community-made tilesets. If Toady leaves a way to mod in new tile sets, the community would probably step up.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Arent the graphics designers also all people who have at least at some point made tilesets for dwarf fortress?

Meph's got a lot of input into things I belive. They've basically gone from making tilesets with plugins to making them with the source, along with new graphics updates to support newer stuff.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Posted by Mayday about the problems they are experiencing with trees.

"Worse than Minecraft trees. We're discussing extending the trees look code-wise."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Cerebulon posted:

Isn't this just the way of Dwarf Fortress? Once a new version comes out and is sufficiently patched there's a few weeks where the game is fantastic and you can play in peace... Then Toady starts posting about all the cool poo poo coming next time and you can't imagine playing without that so you wait another 2 years for the next version and the cycle continues.

other way around. i'm perfectly happy playing the game during development lulls, but new releases always break everything

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah, Maydays was one of the oldest tilesets, and Mephs tileset is a big thing, although I've never used it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I had a wonderful site that collapsed because after the initial digout I was jumped by a wandering pack of zombies. I figured, hey, I can just reclaim and I'll be able to get a leg up. Even if they come back, what the hell, I had huge amounts of iron and a magma furnace set up from the neighboring volcano.

So the volcano's level seems to be rising... I'm going to run it for a while to see what happens but it seems almost as if it is slowly erupting? It's already flooded where the actual magma workshop was, so that's a little bit concerning, if potentially extremely amazing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Meph is trying some things out for the overworld map.

Super super early and they are actively taking feedback and working on it as they go.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 28, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
finally, dwarf fortress can become dragon warrior.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I dig that Mandelbrot set.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Not sure how it would work with Steam but DF already has community-made tilesets. If Toady leaves a way to mod in new tile sets, the community would probably step up.
I kramered into the kitfox discord to remind Mayday about that post he made offhandedly ten years ago as a goof. He said they actually used my sprites in prototyping but can't in the main thing because it has to be their work, but that they could be added in a custom tileset later. So that does imply custom tilesets will be possible in some form.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I haven't played much since happiness was revamped and temples/inns got added. I started up a new fort a little while ago, and it was going well until a weretortoise attacked.

I killed it with my military easily, but I forgot to check for bites in the combat log, and predictably enough, next month one of my military dwarves transformed. Things started spiraling out of control from there, with me losing all but 5 dwarves of my 60 dwarf fort before all the weretortoises were dealt with. The five survivors were falling in and out of depression, and couldn't do anything to clean the place up and entomb the survivors. I ended up getting several ghosts which made the whole process even more difficult.

A large migrant wave arrived in spring, though, and managed to save my fortress from doom, at least for the time being. I set up a graveyard stockpile to hold the bodies while I went about making caskets to bury them all, but I think I may have underestimated how bad the negative thoughts from seeing bodies are in this new version. Concentrating dozens of bodies in one room seems to be a bad idea, and I may have accidentally given both the survivors and new migrants PTSD...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The one thing I really want from the update is cavern layer trade routes and migration. Let me trade with new nations of ant-men that can only be found there. Also make the caverns more expansive and open per default.