Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Upmarket Mango posted:

I can't recall everything that's included off the top of my head but iStewieAI's Tweaks has a shitload of options you can dick around with.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/66347

JSawyer Ultimate Edition has a option to reduce your XP gain among other things like item spawn rate and such.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/61592/

I think I found one that will work. It's ten years old but it looks like it covers the Project Nevada tweak settings I need.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/39157

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I've followed the Viva New Vegas guide the other day (Pretty much to the letter, only thing I didn't install were the companion tweaks and new quests) and I've played a bit of it. I've run into a few annoying snags though. The main thing is as I play, the background music will eventually start cracking and stuttering. I like the background so I'd hate to have to mute it. Every other sound seems fine. The other main issue is some pop in when wandering the wasteland. Some stuttering too but I *think* turning See Through Glass Doors off did that?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

is there any reason to stop using pnv and instead use the stuff piecemeal?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Do you notice lag/hitching/slow startup with PN? There are two scripts that fire every second or more and really hurt performance.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

watho posted:

is there any reason to stop using pnv and instead use the stuff piecemeal?

The main strike against PN is that it has poorly optimized scripts for modern modding standards.
Depending on your setup you may not notice any negative impact performance though.

Are you happy with your current setup? Then keep it.
Are you starting a mod setup from scratch? Then consider looking at the piecemeal stuff.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i’ll probably try doing piecemeal for my next run then

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

the background music will eventually start cracking and stuttering.

are you on windows 10? i remember this happening to me in win10 out of nowhere and the solution was to edit a random .ini file. i dont have the obscure steam community post handy but, at least in my case, it didnt have anything to do with a mod.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does anyone know why the B42 grenade quickthrow mod might not be working for me? I'm using a body replacer mod (Breeze and Type 4) for better armour mod compatibility and whenever I try to use B42 quickthrow it says I need to install a skeleton mod, but the link takes me to a mod that adds breast physics to skeletons for some reason. Why would the mod need me to get *that* mod as a requirement?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I've followed the Viva New Vegas guide the other day (Pretty much to the letter, only thing I didn't install were the companion tweaks and new quests) and I've played a bit of it. I've run into a few annoying snags though. The main thing is as I play, the background music will eventually start cracking and stuttering. I like the background so I'd hate to have to mute it. Every other sound seems fine. The other main issue is some pop in when wandering the wasteland. Some stuttering too but I *think* turning See Through Glass Doors off did that?

Giga Gaia posted:

are you on windows 10? i remember this happening to me in win10 out of nowhere and the solution was to edit a random .ini file. i dont have the obscure steam community post handy but, at least in my case, it didnt have anything to do with a mod.

Check here one of the ini tweaks is specifically to do with audio stuttering.

https://vivanewvegas.github.io/initweaks.html

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does anyone know why the B42 grenade quickthrow mod might not be working for me? I'm using a body replacer mod (Breeze and Type 4) for better armour mod compatibility and whenever I try to use B42 quickthrow it says I need to install a skeleton mod, but the link takes me to a mod that adds breast physics to skeletons for some reason. Why would the mod need me to get *that* mod as a requirement?

The body mesh won't have bouncy boobs unless its been rigged to take advantage of it. Are you using "ragdolls"? It has a compatiblity patch for B42 Quick Throw located here. I was having issues and it turned out to be that I forgot the compatibility patch.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Skwirl posted:

that guide really does have everything. if that doesnt work for you endymion, be sure to google it, there were like 5 different things i tried before i found the .ini edit.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Skwirl posted:

Giga Gaia posted:

that guide really does have everything. if that doesnt work for you endymion, be sure to google it, there were like 5 different things i tried before i found the .ini edit.

Weirdly what seems to be working is copying the audio stuff from the guide into fallout.ini instead of just having it in falloutcustom.ini

Thanks!

Edit: I lied, as soon as I tabbed back in entering combat made the music skip

Edit 2: This did the fix I think? Yeah that vvvvvvv

https://steamcommunity.com/app/22380/discussions/0/2148721524012518454/

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 24, 2020

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Weirdly what seems to be working is copying the audio stuff from the guide into fallout.ini instead of just having it in falloutcustom.ini

Thanks!

Edit: I lied, as soon as I tabbed back in entering combat made the music skip

Try installing FFDShow. Install the 32 bit version even though you're likely on a 64 bit system. That's what fixed it for me. If that doesn't do it, try setting bMultiThreadAudio to 1 instead of 0 in Fallout.ini. If that doesn't fix it, make sure to switch it back, as it can be a cause of instability.

Also, go to <data/NVSE/nvse_config.ini> and check for the following line:
[Memory]DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=400

If NVSE_Config.ini isn't there, create it, and add that line inside it.

Glad to see you fixed it. The stuff listed here and here can also affect the issue.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 24, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Upmarket Mango posted:

The body mesh won't have bouncy boobs unless its been rigged to take advantage of it. Are you using "ragdolls"? It has a compatiblity patch for B42 Quick Throw located here. I was having issues and it turned out to be that I forgot the compatibility patch.

I'm not using ragdolls so that doesn't seem to be the issue. I don't know what is causing it to think I have the wrong skeleton installed.

EDIT: I tried the ragdolls patch just to check and that fixed it??? Weird that it did because I'm not using the ragdoll mod.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 25, 2020

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

its always fun to sit down for a casual afternoon of new vegas then 3 days later finally making a character

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know it's totally impractical but given that we're in uncharted territory with New Vegas now accepting 255 mods how long until some crazy lunatic manages to implement raytracing hacks into the game? I wasn't sold on raytracing until I saw some videos on the Minecraft raytracing demo and how it bounced light rays into dark rooms. That would work wonders for New Vegas if it ever happened.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Wait what's this about 255 mods

EDIT: Holy poo poo

FNV Mod Limit Fix

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 30, 2020

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I think some image-based raytracing is already integrated in some Reshade versions (though I don't know if they're compatible with New Vegas), but anything more comprehensive is probably outside of the scope of modding, given I don't think (and I might be wrong!) there's a lot of access to the renderer open to modders.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Lmao that the mod limit fix also boosts performance apparently as a byproduct. Basically no reason not to install this thing

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

2house2fly posted:

Lmao that the mod limit fix also boosts performance apparently as a byproduct. Basically no reason not to install this thing

Yeah the mod maker seemed pretty surprised by this, a lot of people posting performance tests in the comments/posts.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I'm replaying with most of Viva New Vegas (no extra quests or follow tweaks), and I gotta say, I'm having a ton of fun. I'm also playing way differently than how I normally play. No compass or undiscovered locations means the world is way more open to exploration than I'm used to since I haven't played in probably 4 or 5 years. I feel like its the closest I'm going to come to a fresh STALKER/Super Metroid playthrough in terms of fasciation with the world. I'm also not stealing anything (unless its a skill book). Basically I'm not exploiting mechanics like I normally do. I'd roll into Vegas with an assload of caps and ammo and crazy good armor/guns. Now slightly less so. Its fun to break out of that routine and actually buy stuff, like That Gun! Also living with my skills at the time during checks instead of looking up what I need and what the reward is. Loving this game all over again

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Yeh, I've been playing through without being a kleptomaniac, actually only taking what I scavenge from the Wastes or buy, spending money on ammo and such. Actually roleplaying. First playthrough I made it to Freeside and actually had to go to work earning some caps to pass the credit check. I even got a mod that hides all the dialogue tags so I don't even know whats a skill check and what isn't, just rolling with the flow. It's awesome.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Upmarket Mango posted:

Yeh, I've been playing through without being a kleptomaniac, actually only taking what I scavenge from the Wastes or buy, spending money on ammo and such. Actually roleplaying. First playthrough I made it to Freeside and actually had to go to work earning some caps to pass the credit check. I even got a mod that hides all the dialogue tags so I don't even know whats a skill check and what isn't, just rolling with the flow. It's awesome.

That's how I usually play now anyway, since I've done so many runs that I can't play it like a normal guy anymore. I always have to do a specific roleplaying character.

I tried doing an "NPC Run" inspired by an old Oblivion LP where the guy wouldn't take quests or steal and just tried living like a normal person in Cyrodiil. I found that even then, the economy is balanced so you easily have thousands of caps when you hit Freeside if you're judicious about scavenging off the side of the road and selling what you hunt or gather.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

The mods that making getting into the strip cost a poo poo load are vital for me. Otherwise i fall on old habits instead of trying to do interesting things to get in.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

chitoryu12 posted:

I tried doing an "NPC Run" inspired by an old Oblivion LP where the guy wouldn't take quests or steal and just tried living like a normal person in Cyrodiil. I found that even then, the economy is balanced so you easily have thousands of caps when you hit Freeside if you're judicious about scavenging off the side of the road and selling what you hunt or gather.

gently caress I remember this too but I can't for the life of me find it

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Giga Gaia posted:

The mods that making getting into the strip cost a poo poo load are vital for me. Otherwise i fall on old habits instead of trying to do interesting things to get in.

I should download one of those for my next run because the only times I've ever had trouble was when I used the Alternative Start mod that dropped me right outside Freeside. Though that mod also gives you way too many caps; even if you're "dirt poor" you were getting over 1000 caps to start.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

PinheadSlim posted:

gently caress I remember this too but I can't for the life of me find it

Are you thinking of this?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been running mods that, while they don't make the Mojave any less ripe for scavenging, make the merchants stingy as gently caress to balance it out. I'm also really trying to limit my use of the barter skill to keep prices up.

And with the weapon mod vending machine mod, you can set the price for buying mods to be as astronomically high as you want. Five thousand caps for a 9mm silencer? Sure why not?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Are you thinking of this?

I'm pretty sure that's it, thank you!

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
So I've been playing with pretty much the basic vanilla Viva New Vegas mod setup, but I've noticed that Ranger Helmets have some black spots on the back left and right, like part of the hair texture and the left ear is partially clipping through the helmets. I'm not really sure what could be causing this, but is this something that can be fixed?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Holybat posted:

So I've been playing with pretty much the basic vanilla Viva New Vegas mod setup, but I've noticed that Ranger Helmets have some black spots on the back left and right, like part of the hair texture and the left ear is partially clipping through the helmets. I'm not really sure what could be causing this, but is this something that can be fixed?
Fire up FNVedit. Load up your loadorder. Go to the entry for ranger helmet and see if any mod messed with the Biped Object flags.
Normally helmets have either the Hair or Hat flag enabled which means the game will "hide" the hair when the helmet is worn.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Raygereio posted:

Fire up FNVedit. Load up your loadorder. Go to the entry for ranger helmet and see if any mod messed with the Biped Object flags.
Normally helmets have either the Hair or Hat flag enabled which means the game will "hide" the hair when the helmet is worn.

Thanks for the suggestion! Went through the Ranger Helmet entry in FNVEdit and none of the mods I have loaded like YUP have changed the biped object flags for this FormID, so it's just borked I guess?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/68781?tab=posts

Project Nevada: Enhanced Vision standalone mod.

You know, at the rate Eddoursui is releasing standalone versions of Project Nevada features, we might come full circle to having a new release of Project Nevada in the near future.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/68781?tab=posts

Project Nevada: Enhanced Vision standalone mod.

You know, at the rate Eddoursui is releasing standalone versions of Project Nevada features, we might come full circle to having a new release of Project Nevada in the near future.

Good.

Holding off on a new playthrough cause cyberware is missing a few things due to the lack of other PN features.

My cannibal vampire punch man got eaten by geckos. Ironically.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/68820

:siren:WE FINALLY HAVE ARMOR TRANSMOG:siren:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
What a time to be alive! Time to play through the game again as a space man.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

"Here, under the shadow of the Bear and the Bull-

What in the actual gently caress are you wearing, Courier?"

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I always love putting Boone into the spacesuit, it's such a nice contrast for the moody gently caress.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Imagine how mad Lanius would be if you roll up in the lovely Legion armor from Lonesome Road, going "derpherp I'm Legate Lanius, I'm a big dumb scrap metal boy, look at my stupid horns".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sounds like somebody needs to get out the GECK.