Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Suspect Bucket posted:

Made pizza with the ale yeast
My housemate suggested this, so I tried to make a a yeasted beer bread using the dregs from a bottle conditioned beer and after 24 hours it hadn't woken up even a bit :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Suspect Bucket posted:

O poo poo the pizza could have been vegan too if I left the cheese off half. The sauce is fresh tomato and sweet peppers topped with kale. I never thought I'd ever say this, but I wish I put more kale on, it was delicious.

We will totally do an eating thing when we’re allowed to leave the house. Looking forward to it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Happiness Commando posted:

My housemate suggested this, so I tried to make a a yeasted beer bread using the dregs from a bottle conditioned beer and after 24 hours it hadn't woken up even a bit :shrug:

I did mine from the yeast cake from primary fermentation. It's a lively hungry boy! It's finally stopped breaking after 18 hours, and a nice mild souring going on now. I love my sourdough Pokemon. It made a great chocolate cake and a pile of roti as well.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hankering for some fish tacos and have some tilapia or mahi mahi can't remember which. I was thinking I'd just season and steam it because it's easier. For how long would one typically steam fish? 10 minutes?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Happiness Commando posted:

That doesn't surprise me too much, it'll die off after a while.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Hankering for some fish tacos and have some tilapia or mahi mahi can't remember which. I was thinking I'd just season and steam it because it's easier. For how long would one typically steam fish? 10 minutes?

Those super thin tilapia filets will be done in like 2 minutes. Half inch mahi, probably 4.

Steam works fast.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doom Rooster posted:

Those super thin tilapia filets will be done in like 2 minutes. Half inch mahi, probably 4.

Steam works fast.

Ok thanks. Searing tilapia is a pain in the dick and always falls apart for me, so I'm going the easy route here. Texture will have to come from the other ingredients.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Tilapia only takes well when you're frying the whole fish, imo.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ok thanks. Searing tilapia is a pain in the dick and always falls apart for me, so I'm going the easy route here. Texture will have to come from the other ingredients.
I've never done this for taco protein, but if you've got a super mild fish that likes to come apart on the grill the obvious approach is en papillote, as it takes care of the falling apart bit and lets you throw in a lot of other poo poo for flavour.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s not a bad idea. But it’s tilapia so I’m gonna spend too much time on it. It’s really just gonna be a vehicle to carry spices.

Speaking of which...assuming I’ll season it with chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, etc, should I oil it first? Will the spice flavor come out better?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've got some barramundi i was going to taco-ize as well.
i guess a quick steam is the way of the future.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

That’s not a bad idea. But it’s tilapia so I’m gonna spend too much time on it. It’s really just gonna be a vehicle to carry spices.

Speaking of which...assuming I’ll season it with chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, etc, should I oil it first? Will the spice flavor come out better?

If you're willing to spend another 2 minutes, drop those spices into hot oil to toast 'em and then brush it on after salting the fish. Will help get you a little more dry cooked flavor through the steaming. If you're wanting to go minimum effort and just steam, I probably wouldn't bother with oil at all. Just mix the spices with your salt and season it up then steam.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

I wouldn't bother with oil for what you're trying to do, no. For fish tacos I always make a quick spicy mayo to go with it. Be it chipotle mayo or if i'm lazy or i a hurry sriracha mayo.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Croatoan posted:

I wouldn't bother with oil for what you're trying to do, no. For fish tacos I always make a quick spicy mayo to go with it. Be it chipotle mayo or if i'm lazy or i a hurry sriracha mayo.

Speaking of lazy, I recommend picking up some chipotle powder. It’s my favourite ingredient for adding deliciousness without effort. You could easily just whisk it in to your mayo or whatever.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

toplitzin posted:

I've got some barramundi i was going to taco-ize as well.
i guess a quick steam is the way of the future.

Barramundi is great in tacos, it holds together great for pan frying and grilling too.
Out of interest are you in Australia or is Barramundi available in other countries too?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Helith posted:

Barramundi is great in tacos, it holds together great for pan frying and grilling too.
Out of interest are you in Australia or is Barramundi available in other countries too?

I found it once when I lived in DC and bought it instantly, because it's one of my favorite fish, but as far as I can tell it's super hard to find in the US (at least, on the east coast)

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mediaphage posted:

Speaking of lazy, I recommend picking up some chipotle powder. It’s my favourite ingredient for adding deliciousness without effort. You could easily just whisk it in to your mayo or whatever.

That's not a bad idea honestly. I wonder if I could use the wasabi powder I have in my cabinet to make a wasabi mayo? I bet I could. Wonder if it'd be good tho.

Also an update in my nigiri sushi project. So I finally procured some small grain sushi rice and after 4 or 5 tries, I've gotten the sticky rice to be pretty much perfect. The instant pot makes it super easy. I've gotten pretty good at forming them but I bet I'd have to do it for a living to really perfect it. Here's my sushi rice recipe so far:
1 cup sushi rice
1 cup water
1/8 cup rice vinegar
1/8 cup white vinegar
about a teaspoon or two sugar
about a teaspoon salt.
Mix the vinegar/sugar/salt in a bowl and nuke it for 30 seconds. Put the rice and water in the pot and let it rip for 11 minutes and release naturally. Mix when hot and let cool to almost room temp. Turns out great!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Croatoan posted:

That's not a bad idea honestly. I wonder if I could use the wasabi powder I have in my cabinet to make a wasabi mayo? I bet I could. Wonder if it'd be good tho.

Also an update in my nigiri sushi project. So I finally procured some small grain sushi rice and after 4 or 5 tries, I've gotten the sticky rice to be pretty much perfect. The instant pot makes it super easy. I've gotten pretty good at forming them but I bet I'd have to do it for a living to really perfect it. Here's my sushi rice recipe so far:
1 cup sushi rice
1 cup water
1/8 cup rice vinegar
1/8 cup white vinegar
about a teaspoon or two sugar
about a teaspoon salt.
Mix the vinegar/sugar/salt in a bowl and nuke it for 30 seconds. Put the rice and water in the pot and let it rip for 11 minutes and release naturally. Mix when hot and let cool to almost room temp. Turns out great!

Probably. I see wasabi mayo for purchase (I don’t buy it because I don’t really like mayonnaise) so clearly someone thinks it’s worthwhile.

In re ip rice chat, I don’t make short grain rice very often but gently caress is rice in general ever easy in the pressure cooker. I’ve never had a problem cooking rice on the stove top but 5 minutes in the electric pressure cooker followed by ten minutes to cool (by then I just manually release because there’s not much left) makes it so quick with zero effort.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just made some 1-pot mac and cheese for something to do, and while the texture is unreal and it tastes fine, it could be better. It needs zip.

How do you augment your mac and cheese to give it that zip?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Mustard. The hotter the better.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Ghost pepper sauce

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Smoked paprika, but chipotle or a vinegar based hot sauce will do in a pinch

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

My go-to is sriracha and green onions

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Helith posted:

Mustard. The hotter the better.

I like this idea. I've added mustard as an emulsifier in the past but it's usually not enough to affect the flavour. I'll add more next time - this could give it some pop in a way that's not just making it spicy.

Green onions sounds good too. I've done that before but it didn't come to me this time.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mustard is great. It loses flavor as it cooks though, so add it closer to the end of cooking if want a really mustardy kick. I think the vinegar in mustard is what really does a lot of the work.

A couple dashes of hot sauce/cayenne, paprika and some Worcestershire sauce really can kick cheese-saucy things up a little too. They seem to make cheddar taste more like cheddar.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Mustard is great. It loses flavor as it cooks though, so add it closer to the end of cooking if want a really mustardy kick. I think the vinegar in mustard is what really does a lot of the work.

A couple dashes of hot sauce/cayenne, paprika and some Worcestershire sauce really can kick cheese-saucy things up a little too. They seem to make cheddar taste more like cheddar.

I agree with this. What I really want in my cheese sauce is the kind of zippy kick that adding acid gives, but I couldn't figure out which acid would be best to add. Lime would be nice for queso, but not for mac n cheese. Lemon... maybe? or zest? But probably not.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Sun dried tomatoes (also kale and mushrooms, but the super intense dried/roast tomatoes are what zips it up)

Edit: for baked mac

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweat poteto posted:

Sun dried tomatoes (also kale and mushrooms, but the super intense dried/roast tomatoes are what zips it up)

Edit: for baked mac

On a similar note we add slow-roasted harissa balsamic tomatoes, which work very well (and with lots of other things too)

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I just made some 1-pot mac and cheese for something to do, and while the texture is unreal and it tastes fine, it could be better. It needs zip.

How do you augment your mac and cheese to give it that zip?

I made some of that yesterday - went with dijon mustard and hot paprika.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My go-to is Mac And Cheese with Sriracha and sesame oil over spinach. Hot mac on top of raw spinach wilts it nicely, or just microwave the lot for 2 minutes.

Vinegar based hot sauces are always good too, mac and cheese always needs vinegar friends.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’ve never actually tried it but I have a feeling that pickled onions would go perfectly with Mac and cheese.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

A while back, we tried grating some white/yellow onion directly into our mac and cheese shortly before it was done cooking. It melts and dissolves into the dish so there's no onion texture, and the residual heat takes off that sharp raw onion bite, but we've been adding grated onion to our mac and cheese ever since the flavor just really punches it all up.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I swear I responded to the mac and cheese thing last night, but it must have been in my head. Or in the wrong thread.

Anyway, Valentina hot sauce. Not enough to make it spicy, just enough to add some acidity.

Edit: Then the next day I turn the leftovers into a meal by reheating it in a saucepan with a little milk and add a can of tuna (or leftover shredded chicken), green onion, and more hot sauce.

Shroomie fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 23, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I'm a big fan of mix-ins for mac and cheese; I know some purists get offended, but w/e.

I'll often stir in fire-roasted tomatoes, or chiles, or chopped bacon. Caramelized onions or roasted mushrooms. Toppings include crispy-fried potatoes, green onions, chopped herbs, shredded spicy cheese or aged provolone, etc.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mediaphage posted:

I'm a big fan of mix-ins for mac and cheese; I know some purists get offended, but w/e.

I'll often stir in fire-roasted tomatoes, or chiles, or chopped bacon. Caramelized onions or roasted mushrooms. Toppings include crispy-fried potatoes, green onions, chopped herbs, shredded spicy cheese or aged provolone, etc.

I'm not super opposed to a mix-in in principle, but I want to make sure that I'm not using a mix-in as a crutch to hide substandard sauce. It's why whenever I go to a place that's famed for amazing burgers that I just order a basic one the first time instead of the one with brie and caramalized onions and bacon and pulled pork - nowhere for the mediocrity to hide.

Tonight I'm making kofta and home-made hummus to treat the missus when she gets home from a few days away for work.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Helith posted:

East coast of the US.
They have it frozen at Costco.

Along with Orange Roughie >:(

Additionally, just to further reinforce how much of a crapshoot Serious Eats is outside of Kenji/Gritzer/Shao/Sohla/Stella:

This recipe is linked off a front page recipe for Cuban Black Beans and Rice

Where/when does the extra white onion 2/3rds of the way down the ingredients go? Or the sugar?

Surprise! Those are ingredients for a sub-recipe located exclusively as another optional ingredient!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I'm not super opposed to a mix-in in principle, but I want to make sure that I'm not using a mix-in as a crutch to hide substandard sauce. It's why whenever I go to a place that's famed for amazing burgers that I just order a basic one the first time instead of the one with brie and caramalized onions and bacon and pulled pork - nowhere for the mediocrity to hide.

Tonight I'm making kofta and home-made hummus to treat the missus when she gets home from a few days away for work.

Sure, but I make baller mac and only tend to order food from restaurants I can't / don't want to make at home. You're right, though, considering how not-that-hard good mac is, so many restaurants are really terrible at it.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Hiding mediocrity with deliciousness is my entire cooking ethos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
God, I love being able to cook. I just made a pasta salad for lunch that was so tasty, it made me sad to think about all the poor people stuck in social isolation that cant cook. They only have expensive delivery options or ready meal stuff. Some poor bastard is stuck eating cup noodle for their third meal of the day when for the same money they could probably be eating PASTA SALAD.