Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

So I'm slowly making progress on an articulated figurine - my first choice is your standard faydark deathfist orc. I haven't printed a tester of this but based on fiddling around and rotating it in my 3d modeling program it oughta work - the only hangup is tolerances which I am NOT doing in a tight, professional way - I read that something like 0.2mm of tolerance is ideal, i'm just eyeballing it and if it doesn't work I'll print another one :v: Bonus is i'd only need to re-print the ball joint or other connecty bit and leave the socket alone. Provided I can get this to work at all silicon casting/resin molding is something I'd like to look into to make multiple orcs more effectively.

The skirt is the only thing I see giving me trouble, it might have to be removed entirely and replaced with a custom silicon version that just snaps in or something.
and yeah hoo boy look at those fancy ngons, that can be hopefully fixed without causing too many issues for the print

and to accompany that whole incomplete business I've recreated and printed a shortsword of ykesha:

now unfortunately it didn't correctly print the pommel, it's supposed to be symmetrical but the way it came out still kinda works :shrug: It also came out really just paper thin eventually due to the taper in the blade - which works for "realism" but can cause issues like the edge falling apart in "3d printing"

You can also see some of the finer details, which I didn't really expect would come out so clearly - but I suppose that's a benefit of using a 3d printer with a really tiny layer height!

The zbrush model with its 8 million vertices almost made both 3d printing softwares I use nearly explode:

But I wanted to make it fairly accurate to the real deal:

up next (hopefully) a functioning, articulated low poly orc!

vvv: i stand corrected now i remember the faydwer orcs are in fact blue

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Telltolin posted:

So I'm slowly making progress on an articulated figurine - my first choice is your standard faydark orc.

ACKSHULLY, that's a Deathfist orc from Antonica, not a Crushbone orc from Faydwer.
:goonsay:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I am picturing a future utopia where I can run a campaign of that wonky EQ Pen and Paper game using kickass EQ minis that actually look like the in-game models

realistically I'd just buy a bunch and set them up around my desk because who the hell wants to play EQ D&D

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

blatman posted:

I am picturing a future utopia where I can run a campaign of that wonky EQ Pen and Paper game using kickass EQ minis that actually look like the in-game models

realistically I'd just buy a bunch and set them up around my desk because who the hell wants to play EQ D&D

eq D&D exists, for anybody that didn't know that already

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 23, 2020

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Telltolin posted:

:eyepop:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Telltolin posted:

So I'm slowly making progress on an articulated figurine

up next (hopefully) a functioning, articulated low poly orc!

This is pretty awesome and fun. It'd be amazing if someone like Neca or Super7 got a license to make figures, but I don't see that every happening. The one short toyline that existed never got very far.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

xZAOx posted:

This is pretty awesome and fun. It'd be amazing if someone like Neca or Super7 got a license to make figures, but I don't see that every happening. The one short toyline that existed never got very far.

The short lived toyline is dope, though. I've got a couple but they're kinda hard to find, I really love how accurate they are to the style and feel of classic EQ

e: btw after a few failed prints i'm out of 3d printer joose and i have to wait to get a new bottle of resin :(

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 6, 2020

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Back in the day my copy of Ruins of Kunark came with a sword from the game in the scale of the toys. And a cloth map. I miss the days when normal editions of the game were stuffed with cool stuff.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I still have my Kunark cloth map. It's the only map I've ever gotten out of video game box where the material doesn't feel like super cheap garbage.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I think I read the largely inaccurate official Prima Games Kunark strategy guide more than I actually played EQ because dialup.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

suuma posted:

I think I read the largely inaccurate official Prima Games Kunark strategy guide more than I actually played EQ because dialup.

Same. That poo poo was hella wrong all over the place.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

There was actually a second edition of that strategy guide. I was active on a server forum on... IGN, maybe? back in the day and I remember a lot of the regulars advertising the updated guide since the writers had gotten a bunch of actual players to write some stuff.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

2nd night went predictably. We lightly twinked our lvl 3/4 characters and full of hubris tried to break an orc camp. After wiping we tried clearing some in west commonlands. After wiping to an asp we moved to east commonlands and formed the wolf pack.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I loving love the old wolf graphic

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Vargs posted:

I still have my Kunark cloth map. It's the only map I've ever gotten out of video game box where the material doesn't feel like super cheap garbage.

I made this a few years back to hang in our "nerd stairway".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Telltolin posted:

lmfao I am very glad that this continued the proud Everquest tradition of embarrassing titty elf princess, she looks especially out of place there

Seriously, I loved EQ as a kid and getting side-eyed about the box art by family and friends was the worst. Little did they realize, the game is actually about goblin asscrack

Speaking of, great work so far Telltolin, but there is a distinct lack of goblin rear end in your efforts thus far :lofty:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Vargs posted:

Excuse you, Baldur's Gate II would like a word with you.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.
I made my first character on green last night, a dark elf enchanter. I am in need of any/all assistance, and definitely most of all a leveling guild invite if such a thing exists. In game name is tarns.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://massivelyop.com/2020/05/05/everquest-and-vanguard-developer-mike-hutchins-passes-away/

Pretty sure EQ is gonna outlive its entire dev team.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Wow that is young.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Lazyhound posted:

Can the client be run in something like Sandboxie for an extra bit of security? I don’t have a lot of confidence in ancient MMORPG code.
I tried this and apparently the answer is no, it seems to flag it as a cheat tool.

Also what did you do to this guy:

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Lazyhound posted:

I tried this and apparently the answer is no, it seems to flag it as a cheat tool.

Also what did you do to this guy:

Lol I just read that exact same post. I laughed pretty hard when I saw that he was recommending keeping this website away from children at all costs

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Which one of you is that trolling on that account? The featured post was plausible but the one after is too much.

Slapdash
Mar 30, 2010

HUTCH
was a good
man
and a great
warrior

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Aisar posted:

I made my first character on green last night, a dark elf enchanter. I am in need of any/all assistance, and definitely most of all a leveling guild invite if such a thing exists. In game name is tarns.

I'd recommend joining the discord if you haven't already: https://discord.gg/4yycvzh

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Telltolin posted:

So I'm slowly making progress on an articulated figurine - my

Hello! instead of trying to force the ball joint in, slice the torso in half so the socket is split into two halves.

Then put that dumbbell joint into each join and then glue together with plastic glue.

not super glue as that can/will make the plastic brittle. plastic glue melts the glue and creates a tighter bond.

then use a file to smooth the edges and green stuff (plumber expoxy putty) to fill in the joints.

this is how miniature models would do it.

I have been working with world/character editing for awhile and its very interesting to see how the thought processes worked back in the day of the creators. The model names of each race has both a two letter sequence for the race and then M/F for gender: humans = HUM and HUF

Halflings, on the other hand, use HOM and HOF which means they were at least called hobbits in the studio.

And if you all wanted to see the Warslicks Woods without the wood.

If I ever get my printer working again, I would like to print out lower guk. The model for the zone can be exported but the issue is that all the walls are only a pixel wide. It might be way more awesome to print out Western Wastes so you can see the scar of Veeshan did to Norrath.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

EVIL Gibson posted:

its very interesting to see how the thought processes worked back in the day of the creators.

I honestly still have never figured out why falling damage and levitation-descent-rate are tied to the local client framerate, but still communicated to the server. You can actually tell if somebody else's client is running on lovely video hardware, because if they try to levitate-fly over the dreadlands they will descend much faster than other people.

Why would this be the case from a coding standpoint? Especially with regard to a client-server relationship? Does anyone know?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Relayer posted:

I honestly still have never figured out why falling damage and levitation-descent-rate are tied to the local client framerate, but still communicated to the server. You can actually tell if somebody else's client is running on lovely video hardware, because if they try to levitate-fly over the dreadlands they will descend much faster than other people.

Why would this be the case from a coding standpoint? Especially with regard to a client-server relationship? Does anyone know?

Because, from a coding standpoint they were just winging it.

I mean, the xp needed to level is hardcoded into the client. Halflings got the racial xp bonus meant for humans. Boats are just big mobs with a heavy item encumbering them. Someone greenlit gnomes.

They were just trying to get poo poo to work and no one was holding them to any standards.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
All sorts of games use the framerate to time things. They probably tied up/down levitate bob to match with whatever number of frames the expected fps was for one up/down cycle, so lowering the framerate fucks it up.

If you uncap Bloodborne fps it basically plays in fast forward and breaks tons of poo poo.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

suuma posted:

All sorts of games use the framerate to time things. They probably tied up/down levitate bob to match with whatever number of frames the expected fps was for one up/down cycle, so lowering the framerate fucks it up.

If you uncap Bloodborne fps it basically plays in fast forward and breaks tons of poo poo.

Yeah I can see that for a strictly single player game, the really confusing thing for me in EQ is how the client-server relationship observed it. If the client says your character's position is here, the server just accepts it and adjusts you accordingly. It's like the opposite of prediction, the server obeys the client.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

When they were developing EQ there probably wasn't much in the way of anything else to look at for ideas. Quakeworld, which I am to understand kinda set the bar for online fps and stuff, only came out at the end of 1996 and the very first MMOs were only just starting to come out.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

It’s also worth pointing out that all the validation checks that MMO servers perform now are computationally expensive, especially for machines of EQ’s time. I’m sure they could have done more than they did, but client trust was a bigger thing back then because machines were just slow. The tick rate on EQ is something absurd like a full second or two, right? I mean really archaic stuff by today’s standards.

Slapdash
Mar 30, 2010

Pathos posted:

The tick rate on EQ is something absurd like a full second or two, right? I mean really archaic stuff by today’s standards.

I believe some server side updates only happen every 6 seconds. You can observe your health or mana values recharging at this rate.

I agree that they were just trying to do the best they could with the limitations they had. We’ve had a few decades of real world experience since then about what you can trust the client with and what you can’t (nothing).

Also each zone was handled by a completely different physical server in the beginning which was most likely taxed to the limit if the zone was consistently busy. This had some benefits. When a zone was down others could still be up because only one physical server was affected. Some of you may remember on live trying to zone into a crashed zone and being put back in your previous zone because the game couldn’t hand you off to the new one. The drawback was that GM events turned everything into a slideshow as the server for that zone creaked and groaned under he weight of the entire server population in one place at the same time.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Thinking about it, were GM events on Live consistent across all servers or did a given server's GMs have freedom to do whatever events they wanted?

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

Thinking about it, were GM events on Live consistent across all servers or did a given server's GMs have freedom to do whatever events they wanted?

I was a guide for a while around 2005-2007ish and I could be wrong but I don't remember them having a set schedule, but guides main duty (besides teleporting players weighed down by plat trying to travel to the bank in the bazaar and rescuing people who bound above lava from bizarre death loops) was roleplaying, and any given non-apprentice guide could put in a short application for a GM event, they had a list of a bunch of different ones that were available and the possibility to try to get your own approved - then you'd have other guides join in and get the relevant characters and item rewards added to your guide account. These guide-run events were on a server-by-server basis - these are the only ones I ever saw in person, so I don't know how much this differs from actual GM events (like, SOE employees running instead of volunteers) but I don't think we could give out any of the GM event-only items, so :shrug:

also, I am still out of 3d printing resin but I will post back as soon as I get a refill! I appreciate the advice on ball-joint figures posted above as well, it will definitely prove helpful! Also RIP hutch :(

edit: also being a guide was god-awful, by the way

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

Some events during classic were done on all servers, namely stuff like Bloody Kith/PoH opening, some FV poo poo during Kunark release, and BOTB. But it was a different crew of server specific staff (with occasional celebrity dev appearances) running each event for the most part.

(I think some of the Mistmoore stuff with Mayong maybe too? I didn't get to be at that one so I only vaguely remember secondhand info.)

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Remember when they tried to sell that server that cost like $30 a month and had better customer support and more gm events

i!ii!!iii!!!ii!!i!
Jan 5, 2011

Cool avs beyond this door.

Vargs posted:

Classic EQ1 enchanter is the greatest class in any game. I desperately wish that I could play one in every RPG.

Man. Same.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Sankis posted:

Remember when they tried to sell that server that cost like $30 a month and had better customer support and more gm events

Oh, god, I do vaguely remember that. Did anyone in this thread ever actually experience this? I’m sure it was a total disaster but given that I haven’t thought about this in decades I’m curious how bad it actually was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I remember that. They were gonna have sweeping narratives, and if your character is legendary enough you might even get a magical item named after you! One that the common peasants will be able to find on the normal servers.

Did it ever actually launch??