Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

oh jesus christ already wondering about shanks' scars in the first post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Well Mr. Steak is right on the money about it being relevant, but he isn't gonna find that out for like over a year.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

predicting that luffy and shanks' reunion will be a mere 300 chapters later :discourse:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Rokuogan does have a bit of movement. It's a two-fisted one-inch punch - like Tekkai, but offensive rather than defensive.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

I had to go and check what chapter Shanks reveals that Blackbeard made them and it's 434, so we'll see if this read through ever gets there

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
If he writes so much about every chapter he is gonna be insane by the end of the year.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I just remembered Aokiji is working for Blackbeard now, most likely as a double agent.

Does this mean we'll eventually get a rematch between Aokiji and the Straw Hats? If so, I'd expect an explicit callback to Long Ring Long Island and how Luffy and co. have grown since then.

E:

Brother Entropy posted:

predicting that luffy and shanks' reunion will be a mere 300 chapters later :discourse:

To be fair, Oda probably thought the same thing when he wrote that first chapter.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 22, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Darth Walrus posted:

The Rokuogan does have a bit of movement. It's a two-fisted one-inch punch - like Tekkai, but offensive rather than defensive.

I did say barely any movement, but I actually totally forgot that bit. It just doesn't really appear like that in the anime, they just stand there and thrust slightly and then MASSIVE AIR CANNON DAMAGE THROUGH THE ENTIRE BODY.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I think there’s a break after this chapter

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Did you guys know that the 4kids dub totally kicked rear end?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX-AX-R0INo&t=658s

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Professorjuggalo posted:

I think there’s a break after this chapter
Yep. Golden Week next week.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The talk about Don Quixote in the blind read thread is going to pay off magnificently in a few months.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Speaking of the blind read thread:

quote:

Okay, we need to talk about this name. I'm sure y'all must already know this, but.... ワンピース (ie: the name of the series and the legendary treasure), um.... it means dress. Lmao I haven't the slightest clue what connection this has to the plot, but that's just the literal Japanese word for "dress". As in, the article of clothing. It's not a pun, or an alternate spelling, it's just the word exactly as written in dictionaries. WHY???? Lmao, now when they eventually find the treasure, I want it to just be a really fancy dress. And the entire series was all just a setup to that one horrible horrible pun.

Am I the only idiot who didn't know this? If we get to the end of the series and the One Piece turns out to be a fancy dress, suit, T-shirt or something related, very much like the "treasure" in the first act of Monkey Island 1, I'm going to lose my mind, a Laugh Tale indeed.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

iirc Oda did an SBS on this at some point and its unintended

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

a one piece is also a dress/bathing suit in english

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

From my limited experience it seems like a lot of theories are based around some guy’s babblefish translations

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

oddium posted:

a one piece is also a dress/bathing suit in english

Since it's katakana it's a borrowed word anyways so it probably comes from that in the first place.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Did you guys know that the 4kids dub totally kicked rear end?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX-AX-R0INo&t=658s

You know I gotta give props to the people who edited the 4kids version. Having to splice all those scenes together to make sense out of everything they cut would've been really difficult. They somehow made it coherent even though they took out so much.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Sanji's attack names in the 4Kids dub fuckin rule

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I've been rereading some of the early One Piece chapters, and they explicitly mention about needing to do a background check with Coby because of pirates secretly wanting to join the Marines as spies. I wonder if Oda eventually wanted to use that as a plot point that early on ie Vergo?

Besides, how did Vergo hide his ties to the Doflamingo Family? Did they ever mention that?

E:

Obviously Shanks and Buggy are here, but did Oda ever use any of these other character designs? The one in green looks cool. Pretty interesting to see how things have changed since the early days.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 23, 2020

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well thats Helmeppo in the backgorund there.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i guess he had buggy planned as a roger pirate all along. that or he just made it so because that panel existed

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i guess he had buggy planned as a roger pirate all along. that or he just made it so because that panel existed

I mean he had Shanks and Buggy be mates on their old crew, and specifically told the anime not to have Shanks or Buggy call the guy who scolded them in Buggy's flashback(Rayleigh) captain

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

The...seven seas?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

limeicebreakers posted:

The...seven seas?

I'm assuming a translator just used an idiom from our own world without thinking it through, but it makes sense in a way. Four Blues, the White Sea, the White-White Sea, and the Grand Line. Alternatively, if you don't count cloud seas, it's the four Blues, Paradise, the New World, and the Calm Belt.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
youre forgetting space, the final sea

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I always assumed it was the 4 Blues, All Blue, Grand Line (which is 2 seas - Paradise, New World)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

alkanphel posted:

I always assumed it was the 4 Blues, All Blue, Grand Line (which is 2 seas - Paradise, New World)

I assumed All Blue was too small to really be called a sea; otherwise someone would have found it.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Spoilers were out about two days ago so I would assume we'll have a chapter posted before the weekend is done.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Spoilers were out about two days ago so I would assume we'll have a chapter posted before the weekend is done.

Well yeah, since the official translation comes out Sunday :v:

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Regardless of what circumstances lead up to it, the arrival of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet will be prefaced by Usopp announcing that he has thousands/millions of troops at his command.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

CHAPTER NOW

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Luffy pirate

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Here's a preview

Besides Drake and Page One the other 4 Flying Six are all new characters. Each one is named after a card game. Also Page One's human form design is cool.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
One Piece 978 in French :france:

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
Sweet. A new language will spice up this dreary adventure.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
lol black maria using normal katanas as hair sticks is probably the coolest little design detail oda's done

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
WHO'S WHO BETTER HAV A FUCKIN OWL ZOAN

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Nami had a good outfit for like two chapters and this immediately happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
gently caress it i think i can get the gist of french!

"Une Piece"?! What the hell does that mean???