Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Based on this thread's discussion I picked the racist snake lady as my first recruit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 23, 2021

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Riatsala posted:

you have to be cops 0/10

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The ability to pull enemies out of cover and then bind them seems very powerful!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I won a mission by having Axiom book it and everyone else get shot to death lol

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Cuntellectual posted:

Lol why does the launcher advertise XCOM 2 DLC?

The publisher is 2K, it shouldn't surprise you.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Only had time for the tutorial and one real mission tonight, but I'm digging this. I'm going in basically blind aside from the trailer, so I keep forgetting that your turns are interweaved with the enemy's. The gameplay is nicely streamlined; you don't have a lot of the pointless creeping forward from previous games.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Hard crash on completing the tutorial, also had some bugged flanking angles ala classic XCOM.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Two missions in.

Fast, quick, clever, and rewards planning.

Strategic layer is more of a critical component and less of an "oh poo poo" like X-COM 2 (decoy, flash bang, etc.)

Breach is an amazing system. I want regular "in the dark x-com oh poo poo shots coming out of nowhere" + "breach we know you're in there motherfuckers".

Characters have fun personalities. It's immediately clear this isn't a conventional "x-com" game more a "squad management" game.

Very fun so far!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I did not get the option for Snake Racist so I picked a psionic dude who had the best backstory of my choices.

I desperately want to see more of Sectoid Glenn Beck.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anyone able to answer the thread title yet?

Funky Valentine posted:

I did not get the option for Snake Racist

Snacist.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 24, 2020

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Out of the three agents I could pick I went with Zephyr because kicking dudes in the face seems like a solid early game strategy. So far: yes!

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

been playing x-com 2 this week in anticipation. x-com owns

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Going to have to do some troubleshooting I could run XCOM 2 on high graphical quality, but I'm having to run this on low. At least the tutorial continues the proud XCOM tradition of having people needlessly injured/dead!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

breaches seem like a good fix for the whole inching forward to activate pods issue

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I am playing a squad of literal social justice warriors. First impressions are good so far. I know the emergent storytelling of nameless squaddies is a staple of X-Com, but I like having a fulling written and voiced crew. The breaching phase is cool, and the new turn order is great. Both open up a lot of space for the game to be a bit more than alpha spam.

Some of the powers feel super broken though. Verge can stun and shoot every turn?!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Super No Vacancy posted:

breaches seem like a good fix for the whole inching forward to activate pods issue

Games with a concealment -> engage -> breach -> engage sound super fun.

Think of the blacksite. Conceal to go around finding pods then go to the main building and breach and engage. Balance your stealth with your breach. Fun!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
listen buddy!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
drat it. I checked my library and saw it wasn't there (I put in the key earlier today) around 9pm PST. I just checked this thread and saw people are playing. Checked my steam library again, it's not in there. Went to the store page, there's a play button, which started the download. What the gently caress Steam, is this a bug?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Isn't Jane Kelly like the canon first Ranger you unlock if you pick the tutorial mission

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Spudd posted:

Isn't Jane Kelly like the canon first Ranger you unlock if you pick the tutorial mission

Yep, the only member of the squad besides Bradford to survive Gatecrasher.

Her popularity with the fans led to the Chosen having unique voice lines for encountering her in WotC, and she even has a small campaign that explains her backstory in the Tactical Legacy Pack.

I wonder if she still has that hat, and if not, if she pines for it the way Bradford pines for his sweater sometimes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Spudd posted:

Yes.

Out of all the varied aliens I'm kinda surprised that my favorite character so far is the pistol sniper who's just chill and upbeat. "We're sleeping in an old traincar repair warehouse until we get a proper building set up." "What did I tell you, there's always an upside to a mission!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Played through the tutorial and enough missions for stuff to slowly get unlocked and tutorialized, gonna go back and do a proper tutorial-less everything-open-at-start playthrough in the morning.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cuntellectual posted:

I won a mission by having Axiom book it and everyone else get shot to death lol

Yeah, that's a weird bit of logic on extraction missions. One of my dudes went down so I ran up, stabilized him with the only other soldier still on the field...only to have no "pick up buddy" option. Turned out I could have not had my second soldier take a turn's worth of fire if I'd just booked it and won.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Ended up losing my first no-heal Impossible Hardcore Ironman game about 8 missions in. Mind Control that early is rough and scars add up. :v:

Game's quite fun though I do have some complaint. I'm glad they're trying this out, though.

Oddly there is no achievement for finishing the game with any of those things other than impossible.

Why are there so many human soldiers working for the alien supremacists?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 24, 2020

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
It feels kind of like XCOM lite, and for $10 that’s exactly what I expected. The only thing I don’t like so far (that I didn’t expect) is not being able to pick your cover as you breach. It leads to some suboptimal placement. Then again, your argents can actually withstand at least one shot from a enemy, so it’s not so bad.

It’s a different vibe, but so far I’m digging it. Not sure I’d want a “mainline” game exactly like it, but if they keep a breaching mechanic for 3 that would be pretty slick.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I have decided to bite the bullet and get Xcom 2 and Xcom Chimera Squad cause I watched gameplay of Chimera Squad and couldn't help myself. I have never played an XCom game before, but I have watched lets plays of it as well as streams of the game. I know it probably won't translate into the game, but I'm so hyped for Chimera Squad and the snek waifu.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I did a pylon mission and ended up with a perfect non-lethal rating according to Steam Achievements. I mean...there was the one thrall that stood too close to the pylon when I shot it, but...yeah, let's just say I went the Pacifist Route.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I may have missed something in the tutorial about lead missions, I'm in what I remember as the third day, and there's a purple mission that I can't access unless I get a 'Lead Mission'? But I thought they said purple deployments were needed to advance the story?

Also, snake racist, while racist, can also get the most non-lethal takedowns. Curious.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

And another crash. Man, I'm having terrible luck with this game.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Cuntellectual posted:

Why are there so many human soldiers working for the alien supremacists?

Probably money. It's always money.

Hellburger99 posted:

The only thing I don’t like so far (that I didn’t expect) is not being able to pick your cover as you breach. It leads to some suboptimal placement. Then again, your argents can actually withstand at least one shot from a enemy, so it’s not so bad.

I'm guessing this was a tradeoff between making breaching too finicky vs just getting you into the action fast, which seems like it was high on their design goals. But yeah, if they moved this system over to XCOM 3, which I hope they do, I would want to have fine control over that. The current way is too reliant on RNG for whether your first XCOP has good attack options on the enemy with the highest initiative, or whether they're in some awkward half cover on the other side of the room.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Claymore seems to kind of suck.

On impossible, Verge, Axiom, Blueblood and Cherub are all godsends. Torque is cool due to being able to stun high value targets too.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Probably money. It's always money.

More figured the aliens wouldn't want them than the other way around.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Cuntellectual posted:

Oh even easier to explain in that case. Human-hating aliens are probably happy to have a bunch of humans doing their dirty work and getting killed on the front lines.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
It definitely feels like a tablet game. I'd play the hell out of this on an airplane, for sure.

Do the animations look more restrained and static-y than XCOM 2 to anyone else? I miss my brave idiots wildly barrel rolling through windows.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

And a soft-lock. Man, this game runs fantastic, but it just does not want to co-operate with my system for some reason.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
For future reference: The ADVENT guys have robots from the start, so hacker lady might be more useful than verge in that case. :v:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

jimmydalad posted:

So I have decided to bite the bullet and get Xcom 2 and Xcom Chimera Squad cause I watched gameplay of Chimera Squad and couldn't help myself. I have never played an XCom game before, but I have watched lets plays of it as well as streams of the game. I know it probably won't translate into the game, but I'm so hyped for Chimera Squad and the snek waifu.

XCOM 2 changes gameplay A LOT dependent on which DLC is active.

Cuntellectual posted:

Claymore seems to kind of suck.

On impossible, Verge, Axiom, Blueblood and Cherub are all godsends. Torque is cool due to being able to stun high value targets too.

I'm going down the hybrid path which is mec and android heavy, I've just been throwing the charge so it blows up in a few turns and shooting/subduing guys with his remaining action and it's been going pretty well so far. I hope I can upgrade his charge so it blows up cars in one hit, that'd be AMAZING.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 23, 2021

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
This is good. Breaching is good. I suck at tactics and consistently forget the new turn order. Thankfully there's a difficulty level for a save-scumming casual like me (it's how I've played these since 1994), which also means that I don't miss losing soldiers at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

XCOM 2 changes gameplay A LOT dependent on which DLC is active.

I'm going down the hybrid path which is mec and android heavy, I've just been throwing the charge so it blows up in a few turns and shooting/subduing guys with his remaining action and it's been going pretty well so far. I hope I can upgrade his charge so it blows up cars in one hit, that'd be AMAZING.

Yeah I was doing Grey Pheonix. Mutons and both forms of Sectoids I've seen had 1 armor, but my very brief attempt at Sacred Coil had turrets with like 2 armor and a bunch of other stuff with 1.

also skipping the tutorial was a mistake I totally didnt realize how field teams worked. :v:

I would've done it but you can't do it on impossible for some reason.