Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Khanstant posted:

This would've been a really boring episode if there weren't any bonus mechanics in play. "Let's vote Jeremy," "OK," "Jeremy goes to extinction, roll credits."

Tony's maneuvering was not at all dependent on the bonus mechanics in the game :confused:

I guess the idol made him more comfortable making a big move, but the extortion segment was just a fetch quest initiated by players who got voted out of the game that resolved itself without any real tension because people still in the game don't seem to care that much about fire tokens.

And I've said this before, but I think we're several years past the point where 3-5 minute scenes that go "I'd like to find an idol, because it would be good for my game! -> I'm looking for an idol -> I found the idol, and am happy about it!" stopped being good TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I wonder if Phillip ever gets pissed because Tony is a better spy than he is.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nah, Phillip is such a good spy that you don't even know what he's done, because he's so good at hiding it and going incognito, because he's such a good spy.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Fun episode! One of the best this season IMO. Give me more of this and I’ll be thrilled with the second half of the season.

Tony hijinx are always fun. It’s a delight to watch him run around causing chaos. It flies in the face of pretty much everything we understand about Survivor strategy, but it works and drat is it entertaining television.

Thrilled to see Sophie go. I was never impressed with her play previously, and this season she was a total dud. Good riddance.

I have no idea what to think of Kim so far this season. I’d buy anything from “puppetmaster in total control of this season” to “irrelevant wallflower due to be booted in the next couple episodes”. For someone hyped up to be the greatest player of all time, I’m not seeing it yet, but I guess it’s possible she could seize control and ride to the end from this spot.

It’s nice to get to the end of an episode and not feel sad/disappointed for a change!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I'm just hoping Boston Rob doesn't rejoin

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wonder who the edit trackers think is going to win, I'd google it but usually that ends up with me somewhere in spoilers. This season it feels really hard to tell the difference between who they're showing to justify a win and who they're showing because it's good TV, because really most of the crew is good TV.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

Unfortunately for Tony is that he did this to get Sarah to himself and now he's probably lost Sarah. A lot of people are saying "how could you trust Tony" which is fair, but really, these are all winners, not many of them are just gonna ride strong with their whole alliance all the way to the end. You risk the same thing with pretty much everyone.

I think even if he has lost Sarah (and there's a chance their Cops 'R Us blood really does run deep), the move just made too much sense on multiple levels to pass up. In one fell swoop, he:

1) Eliminated a big threat to win
2) Showed his dominance over another big threat (Jeremy)
3) Made two mid-range threats (Denise and Kim) look pretty dumb
4) Aligned himself with the less threatening group of players

The most :discourse: element of the move was #2, cuz now Jeremy is simultaneously still enough of a threat to the tribe at large to draw significant attention, while also being less of a threat in particular comparison to Tony, who now has more justification for sitting next to him at the end.

Everybody would obviously be foolish to not start targeting Tony, but if Jeremy and Michelle are still keen on getting Ben out, I could just as easily envision another Jeremy vs Ben scenario next week.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rick posted:

I wonder who the edit trackers think is going to win, I'd google it but usually that ends up with me somewhere in spoilers. This season it feels really hard to tell the difference between who they're showing to justify a win and who they're showing because it's good TV, because really most of the crew is good TV.

Edgic talk, I guess: From what I can tell at a glance, people seem to be on board the Tony train. Sophie was the next best guess but she's gone, so it's really just Tony with a slim chance of Sarah/Michele.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

xbilkis posted:

Tony's maneuvering was not at all dependent on the bonus mechanics in the game :confused:

The minority of four was able to take out someone who had five votes on her side because the five split votes. They split votes because idols exist.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

A Typical Goon posted:

Highlight of the episode was Nick laughing at fans calling him a vampire Donathan, which I gotta admit is a pretty clever insult

This has been too overlooked - I loved the Tony hijinks but this burn was the best part of the episode.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Edgic talk, I guess: From what I can tell at a glance, people seem to be on board the Tony train. Sophie was the next best guess but she's gone, so it's really just Tony with a slim chance of Sarah/Michele.

You're forgetting this is an EoE season which obviously means a Danni win.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

xbilkis posted:

And I've said this before, but I think we're several years past the point where 3-5 minute scenes that go "I'd like to find an idol, because it would be good for my game! -> I'm looking for an idol -> I found the idol, and am happy about it!" stopped being good TV

Because without those scenes you'll have multiple people, including some in this very thread, repeatedly ask WHY AREN'T THEY LOOKING FOR IDOLS?????

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's a narrative line you gotta draw because it shouldn't be taken as a fact that every player is looking equally as hard for an idol as the next and there's obviously situations where one player like Tony is really scrambling for one and situations where others are sleeping on it. So like the editors have to decide when its important to tell the audience and when its not but of course there will always be fans assuming editing bias based on their own bias or takes. Thus is the nature of the show.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tony seems like a total doofus sometimes but he really does put in the effort.

He understood that he shouldn't scramble for idols early on and so he restrained himself which seems like a fairly big challenge for him
The waiting until the sun was nearly set to set up this new vote was also a great show of strategic restraint.

Going out early after tribal for idols and then misdirecting the next person to show up was a good hustle too.

If he loses it's because he blows up his own social game with his ADHD or whatever it is

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F59P2tESLbY

I can't decide which vote is more hilarious between Ben and Jeremy

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

BOOM

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

IcePhoenix posted:

We had to go back and watch the reveal twice to really appreciate how bewildered Ben is when the Sophie votes start popping and how Jeremy just gives him the "did you think i was not here to play" look

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spokes posted:

We had to go back and watch the reveal twice to really appreciate how bewildered Ben is when the Sophie votes start popping and how Jeremy just gives him the "did you think i was not here to play" look

It was pretty great

Unison
Oct 12, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

Wow, wow.

Thank you for posting this... I wouldn't have looked it up otherwise.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this season is really good, it's definitely helped by the fact that all winners means most of the camp is wise to everyone's maneuvering. Lot of high level play here. Reminds me a lot of second chances in the best ways.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

OFFICER LIGER posted:

this season is really good, it's definitely helped by the fact that all winners means most of the camp is wise to everyone's maneuvering. Lot of high level play here. Reminds me a lot of second chances in the best ways.

It's like second chances except good and not very very bad.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

IcePhoenix posted:

I loooove Surly Jeremy

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Jeremy's charisma is off-the-charts in general. Dude oozes it.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Goddam, I’m sad Sophie was at the receiving end of that vote but drat, Tony really did an unbelievable job. I hope we get a reaction shot of Parvati and Nat buying six jars of peanut butter.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Dugong posted:

Goddam, I’m sad Sophie was at the receiving end of that vote but drat, Tony really did an unbelievable job. I hope we get a reaction shot of Parvati and Nat buying six jars of peanut butter.

I wonder who Tony didn't pay back. Probably Nick, since he was in his "real" alliance?

I also wonder if he could have pretended he was using the extortion on someone else. Probably not, but it's very funny to picture him just handing it stone-faced to Michele or something

e: also, the editing on the advantage reveal (and the way Tony explained it) was so good. He was so excited, and then so dismayed. Also I'm really impressed at how fluidly he made it his team's problem instead of just his. Some stuff you can't teach

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SweetJahasus posted:

It's like second chances except good and not very very bad.
Second Chances was excellent! Are you thinking of Game Changers, or is Second Chances not as popular as I thought?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I really enjoyed Second Chances but I remember Spencer and the amount of screen time he was given being pretty painful and I think it puts a lot of people off.

Keith riding a ‘ToTo’ and Kelley attempting to get both idols are is top tier scenes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spokes posted:

I wonder who Tony didn't pay back. Probably Nick, since he was in his "real" alliance?

What if he just told everyone that he had to pay back the other two and he just has two fire tokens now

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Fast Luck posted:

Second Chances was excellent! Are you thinking of Game Changers, or is Second Chances not as popular as I thought?

No wait you're right. I'm thinking about game changers. My bad. Second chance was awesome.

Game changers was the Varner poo poo show season with a wholly unlikable final 3.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Game Changers is like IotI in that it was great... up til right around the merge.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

ApplesandOranges posted:

Game Changers is like IotI in that it was great... up til right around the merge.

Featuring epic game changing survivors like Sierra Dawn-Thomas, Caleb Reynolds, Hali Ford, and Brad Culpeper.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Game Changers until Sandra leaves -> excellent
Game Changers after Sandra leaves -> trash

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

What if he just told everyone that he had to pay back the other two and he just has two fire tokens now

Now you're thinking.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
gently caress all haters. Tony is the greatest to ever do it. Truly goated

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
In unrelated news, Ben shaved his beard and I swear you could not recognize him if you didn't know who it was:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

curiousCat posted:

Game Changers until Sandra leaves -> excellent
Game Changers after Sandra leaves -> trash

The coffee sugar thing is a classic for the ages.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

In unrelated news, Ben shaved his beard and I swear you could not recognize him if you didn't know who it was:

Holy poo poo

I recognize the smile but it would have just driven me nuts. I never would have guessed it was him.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Not gonna lie, you said it was Ben right there and i still didn’t know who it was

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I think I just watched Dr Will get dethroned as my favorite player in the history of Survivor/Big Brother/Australian Survivor. :stare:

It was a long frequently disappointing slog catching up on the earlier seasons, but Australian Survivor All-Stars is one of the greatest seasons of any of the three shows.

Wow. Absolutely floored.

Spoilers for Australian Survivor All-Stars (and I guess Big Brother too)

I think I have a new favorite player of all time in any game. No one on US Survivor comes even close to David, and only Dr Will is in his league on Big Brother. This season felt like “What if Dr Will had won BB All-Stars instead of Boogie?”.

I spent the entire back half of the season waiting for the show to rip my heart out like it did with Luke, but David kept making magic happen. I seriously got all teary when he won the immunity to send Brooke home and again when he won at final 3.

I’m in awe of how good that was. It almost feels unfair to go back to Winners at War in a few days. It would be impossible to script an outcome to the rest of S40 that could be as satisfying.

I love the bigger cast size/longer game. Having seasons that last almost two months instead of just one gives them so much time to create storylines around players that would be largely ignored in the US version. The pre-merge boots feel like a much bigger part of the game. I could do with less of the “whoops, this isn’t really tribal, instead you’re voting fourteen players to go to the moon to compete in a hamburger eating contest to determine which will become head of household on Survivor” but the US version is getting worse about dumb gimmicks too.

I’ve been wrestling with exactly how to phrase it, but AU Survivor also does a much better job with how they portray women on the show. Shonee’s confessionals are every bit as sarcastic and clever as any of the guys. Lydia and Mo are world class athletes and presented as the challenge beasts they are. I think in general the much richer development of all the players characters throughout a season particularly benefits women who would end up getting the Purple Kelly treatment on US Survivor.

Excellent show. I’m really excited for the next season once the world gets back to normal enough they can do things like film dumb reality TV game shows for my amusement. :woop:

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

BGrifter posted:

I’m in awe of how good that was. It almost feels unfair to go back to Winners at War in a few days. It would be impossible to script an outcome to the rest of S40 that could be as satisfying.

I love the bigger cast size/longer game. Having seasons that last almost two months instead of just one gives them so much time to create storylines around players that would be largely ignored in the US version. The pre-merge boots feel like a much bigger part of the game. I could do with less of the “whoops, this isn’t really tribal, instead you’re voting fourteen players to go to the moon to compete in a hamburger eating contest to determine which will become head of household on Survivor” but the US version is getting worse about dumb gimmicks too.

I’ve been wrestling with exactly how to phrase it, but AU Survivor also does a much better job with how they portray women on the show. Shonee’s confessionals are every bit as sarcastic and clever as any of the guys. Lydia and Mo are world class athletes and presented as the challenge beasts they are. I think in general the much richer development of all the players characters throughout a season particularly benefits women who would end up getting the Purple Kelly treatment on US Survivor.

Excellent show. I’m really excited for the next season once the world gets back to normal enough they can do things like film dumb reality TV game shows for my amusement. :woop:

Over the last month I've watched AU4, 5 and am in the middle of 6 now and I couldn't agree more. Players like AK, Moana and scuffed Tarzan, would be forgotten back row contestants in the US. The AU show does a good job of showcasing just about every contestant, and the mid-season arcs paint a much bigger picture of just how much the eventual winners go through to get to where they get. One thing I will disagree a little bit on is that I actually like when they do the tribal fake outs, especially in the episode I just watched where the winning tribe was brought to tribal to listen in and afterwards were tasked with voting for who they wanted to bring over to their tribe without any discussion amongst themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Stokes posted:

Over the last month I've watched AU4, 5 and am in the middle of 6 now and I couldn't agree more. Players like AK, Moana and scuffed Tarzan, would be forgotten back row contestants in the US. The AU show does a good job of showcasing just about every contestant, and the mid-season arcs paint a much bigger picture of just how much the eventual winners go through to get to where they get. One thing I will disagree a little bit on is that I actually like when they do the tribal fake outs, especially in the episode I just watched where the winning tribe was brought to tribal to listen in and afterwards were tasked with voting for who they wanted to bring over to their tribe without any discussion amongst themselves.

The tribal fake outs aren’t all bad, but it really sucks when there’s a particularly juicy vote out all lined up and it gets snatched away by a twist. I’d say my enjoyment rate was probably 50/50 on them. If US Survivor wasn’t so stacked with twists and advantages right now I might be less bothered by it.

It’s incredibly unlikely to ever happen, but I’d love to see a season of Australian All-Stars vs US All-Stars. Maybe 12 players on each side. Off the top of my head I’d love to see David/Luke/Mat/AK/Nick/Henry/Lydia/Moana/Shonee/Sharn/Pia/Brooke vs any team of 12 they could come up with on the US side.

Comedy option: Russell Hantz on both teams :v: