Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://imgur.com/gallery/NzB57ep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That priceless antique is the breadboard prototype of the modern powerstrip.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The contrast between the outlets, the romex, and the soldering gets me. It's like a trifecta of three different directions of quality. Antique, modern, and diy. The wood of course represents the fire hazard.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

there wolf posted:

Good construction posing as crappy construction

Holy poo poo.
That took planning.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Youth Decay posted:

This is a bad house

It's crappy construction because besides being ugly and inhospitable it has to be ungodly expensive to heat in the winter.

Here's a listing with more pictures. I like it overall, lots of good detailing. The wide-angle shot didn't do it any favors though.

If it was designed and built with any sort of rigor (likely, given the quality of detailing) it's probably quite energy efficient.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Darchangel posted:

Holy poo poo.
That took planning.

I would bet this house belongs to a mason.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Crappy construction in progress. Colorado construction crew digs through fiber line, knocking out "Call Before You Dig" service.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Looking for more info on the falling brick wall has lead me to discover the Amsterdamse school architecture which was all about complex brick masonry.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

there wolf posted:

Looking for more info on the falling brick wall has lead me to discover the Amsterdamse school architecture which was all about complex brick masonry.

This is brick sorcery and I will not be convinced otherwise!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

This one bugs me. My understanding is that mortar is pathetic in tension. Is there something else holding up that bottom course of bricks? It looks like they're more than a brick's length from the wall.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This one bugs me. My understanding is that mortar is pathetic in tension. Is there something else holding up that bottom course of bricks? It looks like they're more than a brick's length from the wall.

Are you suggesting...

Are you suggesting load-bearing hubris?!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Or, y'know, rebar

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

What section of the NEC covers screw taps, I wonder.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

there wolf posted:

Good construction posing as crappy construction

Is this the free style masonry that all conspiracy theorists rave about?

Bricks come in different sizes and can be quite long. Look at the vertically laid bricks below it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Probably a lintel.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

It looks to me like the bottom five courses of bricks have been repointed, the mortar looks newer than the flat exterior portion of the wall. A few areas were also repointed on the curves above that. So yeah whatever is holding the bottom up (a lintel? Hope?) it's not great they have had problems with cracking, but it's not so bad that bricks are going to fall out. Give it 50-200 years for that.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

there wolf posted:

I really like the brickwork here, it's amazing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I work in telecom and it's still unbelievable to me how many critical services have such bad fiber routing. The fibe infrastructure is resold so many times before it gets to the end customer that nobody actually knows what they hell they are buying. You buy "diverse paths" that go in different directions out of your facility in New York only to find out that before they get to DC/Ashburn VA they both go trough the same drat tunnel. Or even different waves on the same drat cable. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Street_Tunnel_fire (for example - and yes, this happened to multiple customers of mine at the time).

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 23, 2020

Tea In A Shoe
Feb 1, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

This is a bad house

wow such an open layout

It's crappy construction because besides being ugly and inhospitable it has to be ungodly expensive to heat in the winter.

Those doorways aren't made with the golden ratio, it makes them somewhat disturbing to look at. Also all of that wasted space and uncomfortably industrial hallways :staredog:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Man, underground poo poo has me nervous for any job I might have to do at my place that requires digging. EVERYTHING in my neighborhood is underground. No power/telephone lines/poles at all. Power, telephone, gas, and a local fiber utility are all here and all just under my feet.

Obviously I'd call Digsafe or whoever it is around here, but as history has shown us, it's not perfect.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

corgski posted:

What section of the NEC covers screw taps, I wonder.

Thanks for making me happy about my hosue today.

SO far today
Snaked a huge lint plug out of the washtub in the basement the Trap disintegrated the second I touched it with a wrench
Turned on a faucet to test a fix of Pvc pipe that was leaking and found that the drain is leaking like a sieve.

But hey at least no one screwd wires into what looks like the service line coming into my electrical box.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr1IAfl0_TM

Documentary series going over British households in different eras and how they killed their occupants.
This one is Edwardian, with a big focus on the introduction of electricity to houses. (What don't they need? Insulated wires, grounding, literally any safety feature. What do they need? An electric tablecloth)

The post-war episode has a bit about when DIY became a trend and the ways people maimed themselves at it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

HelleSpud posted:

Documentary series going over British households in different eras and how they killed their occupants.
This one is Edwardian, with a big focus on the introduction of electricity to houses. (What don't they need? Insulated wires, grounding, literally any safety feature. What do they need? An electric tablecloth)

The Edwardian terrace I bought last year had wiring run under the wallpaper, and one remaining gas lamp fitting for some reason (thankfully disconnected).

That presenter is... well put together :swoon:.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

wooger posted:

The Edwardian terrace I bought last year had wiring run under the wallpaper, and one remaining gas lamp fitting for some reason (thankfully disconnected).

That presenter is... well put together :swoon:.

She did the killer stairs doc, too. She's a doctor of philosophy and an accomplished academic as well as a megababe.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I really like the brickwork here, it's amazing.
Fun fact, there’s furniture in the same style. The three examples posted are also all state housing blocks, but there’s examples of freestanding homes and offices built in the style too. Hildo Krop, Joan Melchior von der Mey and Jan Frederik Staal are some names. For examples of freestanding smaller structures, Villa de Bark and villa ‘t Reigersnest are some examples.

Second fun fact: a lot of the patterns and coloring, especially in the leaded windows, lampshades and wallpapers are inspired by techniques and patterns from batik prints.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

HelleSpud posted:

The post-war episode has a bit about when DIY became a trend and the ways people maimed themselves at it.

HIDDEN KILLERS OF THE BRITISH HOME. Love that poo poo. If you liked that, you'll also enjoy Lucy Worsley's "If Walls Could Talk". Less gruesome, but peak bingable British documentary.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

tater_salad posted:

Thanks for making me happy about my hosue today.

SO far today
Snaked a huge lint plug out of the washtub in the basement the Trap disintegrated the second I touched it with a wrench
Turned on a faucet to test a fix of Pvc pipe that was leaking and found that the drain is leaking like a sieve.

But hey at least no one screwd wires into what looks like the service line coming into my electrical box.

..no one that you know of! :pseudo:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TETSUO!!!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

My friend recently bought a house upon which the previous owner, named Murray, somehow managed to graft an excess of outlets and power strips. Interior, exterior, on out buildings, inside cabinets, didn’t matter. Murray wanted power, so he made drat sure he always had MOAR POWAH.

Even Murray wasn’t a big enough monster to do that to a goddamn living tree like some kind of Grover Druid.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I’ve seen trees grow around and incorporate a barbed wire fence, but not something as big as an electrical box.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Luneshot posted:

I’ve seen trees grow around and incorporate a barbed wire fence, but not something as big as an electrical box.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What, you think bikes just grow on trees?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

A sad day for Buckaroo Banzai, aged 5.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I was looking for this classic

But then I found this

The Ents mean business.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Luneshot posted:

I went to an old small-scale mine site in the hills of northern Cali, where the crew had just bolted a bunch of equipment to nearby trees which they left when their hand-expanded natural cave claim pinched out, there were three equipped trees surviving. Each had what I eventually decided was most probably some kind of gearbox arrangement at a little over my waist height (I am 6'2"). There was a 10-14" main sprocket with a socket point on the hub, I think 4-5 other gears including another one with another socket.

Could have been a small donkey steam engine or hand-crank-or-lever-powered arrangement for crushing or sifting? Anyway these shits had also been 1/4-1/3d encompassed by subsequent tree growth and the whole scene was pretty loving surreal. It was on a privately owned 'preserve' 'ranch' that someone maintained as a vacation home, the whole thing was basically the length of a natural creekbed canyon and the inner sides of hills which went from "used to barely be a sledding hill when Rice Country used to get snow in the winter" to "when I was in the Army we would have planned a rest break if we did a training movement up this slope," had a huge amount of wild-growing heirloom roses and some gorgeous creek-forest-grove spots and a gravel road running the length. There were signs of other digging works and some old frequently-used campsites with eroded carvings in rock faces, a place where a small gantry and steam-shovel-with-bucket-looking machine had collapsed before or after being abandoned, but the gear trees were my favorite.

My ex-wife might still have some pictures saved, we visited the place because her father was hired as the year-round live-in caretaker. No promises.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

there's one of those in a Cleveland neighborhood. i assume they intended it

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Suspect Bucket posted:

HIDDEN KILLERS OF THE BRITISH HOME. Love that poo poo. If you liked that, you'll also enjoy Lucy Worsley's "If Walls Could Talk".

I might if either was available in my country :argh:

But to add some content, I saw this on imgur as "Polish Water Tower" and google tells me it's in Wroclaw.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 26, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But to add some content, I saw this on imgur as "Polish Water Tower" and google tells me it's in Wroclaw.

Wrong thread. This owns. Whatever it is, it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/fatherqueerest/status/1254159525038272512

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/22-Woodlane-Dr-Newnan-GA-30263/61222107_zpid/