Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Haifisch posted:

I like dogs as a concept, but in practice most dogs are understimulated balls of energy and noise owned by people who view them more as decorations than as actual living creatures that want care, attention, and stuff to do. And then the predictable results of an untrained animal bored out of its mind(constant barking, destroying stuff, acting aggressive towards people) is handwaved as 'dogs being dogs'.

The worst is dog owners who think bad dog behavior is cute and that training them properly is somehow mean. No, it's not cute when Fluffy jumps on people or begs for people food, gently caress off with that poo poo. No, it's not mean to train Spot, in fact your dog craves the attention and bonding that training him would bring. Learn about the needs of your goddamn pets before you get them!

While I'm on the subject of terrible pet owners: Keep your drat cats indoors. A purely indoor cat does not miss or crave the outdoors at all. Putting a cat outdoors just means it's going to murder all the local wildlife & risks your cat mysteriously disappearing one day because it got hit by a car/eaten by a coyote/taken in by someone who thought it was a stray. If you think your cat is bored indoors, you need to play with it more often. Cats aren't decorations either, and they like interacting with their people.

Welcome brother

Rabbit Hill posted:

I live in an apartment building in the center of town. Every few days, a landscaping crew parks on the street below my window, men get out with leaf-blowers, and at sporadic intervals all day long, they pace up and down the block while pointing their leaf-blowers into the air. The noise started at 8:15 this morning, stopped for a while, and now it's started again. The noise is driving me crazy. Naturally, I left my noise-cancelling headphones in my desk in my workplace, where I can't enter. I have to work on spreadsheets all day with this horrible noise and I have ADHD and I cannot concentrate.

I want to pour cauldrons of boiling oil upon these men from my window. What are they blowing? There are no leaves upon the ground. It's drizzling rain out, so anything on the ground is sticky and hard to blow around anyway. And they're not pointing the blowers on the ground, but at waist-level. What are they doing? Why are they doing it for hours and hours, several days a week? They'll do it from morning until late afternoon. Blowing air around for no reason. The noise is driving me crazy.

In my state, only "life-sustaining" businesses are allowed to remain open. Landscaping is not life-sustaining. These are not people doing yard work in their own yards, these are people from a landscaping company who are driving to this street and getting out and blowing air around. I don't know if they're working for the town borough or if they've been hired by my apartment complex or if they're volunteers doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. The noise is driving me crazy. There's more than one of them. I can hear two on my block and one more up the street. Three people are blowing air around for no reason for hours.

If it at least seemed like they were doing something productive with the leaf-blowers, maybe I wouldn't mind. Maybe if leaf-blowers weren't terrible for the environment and did more than blow poo poo around that will just be blown back around by the next gust of wind. Maybe if they didn't do it FOR HOURS A DAY SEVERAL DAYS A WEEK WHAT THE gently caress ARE THEY DOING THERE ARE NO LEAVES ON THE GROUND AND IT'S RAINING OUT WHAT ARE THEY BLOWING AROUND drrrrRRRRRRRRRR ddddrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR drrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR FOR HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS SEND HLEP

:same: lucky for me it's only Mondays, and I still have to show up every other Monday. Last week it sucked a lot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Just want to report that it’s 6:37 pm and the leaf-blowers are still going.

10 hours of leaf-blowing, on a rainy spring day. I just don’t understand.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
growing up in the southwest gave me a permanent undying hatred for "lawns"

there is beautiful unique flora of a shitload of different varieties down there, but no, let's waste god-knows-how-much water and energy planting well-manicured grass and trees and flowers and bushes from half a world away, and run loud-as-gently caress machinery every other goddam day to make sure it stays "pristine"

god forbid a leaf be on the sidewalk or a blade of grass just over the curb, best use a diesel-powered machine to fight back.

e: the city is loud as gently caress but it feels organic and beautiful compared to being a kid who liked the outdoors, sitting outside at like 6am and then hearing the chorus of a million mowers and weedwhackers and leafblowers whirring up in unison and not ceasing for the whole day. people who think "fresh cut grass" is a good smell are foreign as gently caress to me.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 23:53 on Apr 14, 2020

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
One of my neighbors gets up at 5 AM and mows his lawn every single day. Sometimes he mows it again in the evening, too. His yard is small but it still takes him multiple hours because he has to stop every few seconds to chug water from his giant insulated mug and there's barely enough room for him to maneuver his giant riding mower. All of the driving around on the small lawn wears tire tracks into it, so he has to spread seed all of the time. Then right back to mowing.

Lawn people are weird poo poo. If he ever finds out about robot mowers, I'm sure he'll get one and run it 24/7.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I miss smoking at 6 am on a snowy morning in Kansas. It was so quiet the only thing I could hear was my cigarette

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I had a neighbor in Tennessee who would leaf blow his empty lawn every day starting at 6 AM, no matter the season, and it was aggravating as hell. In retrospect he might have been developmentally challenged. I'm looking at home ownership here in Colorado in the not so distant future and I'm considering a full arid style low maintenance "lawn"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Dumb and petty, but people using "typo" for a word they turbofucked the spelling of all on their own. Don't try to tell me your fingers would ever accidentally slam out "inchouragment" or some poo poo on the keyboard, I'm not the stupid one.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Rabbit Hill posted:

Just want to report that it’s 6:37 pm and the leaf-blowers are still going.

10 hours of leaf-blowing, on a rainy spring day. I just don’t understand.

Leaf blowers are pullstart and a pain to stop and restart constantly, so they start them at the top of the day and only shut them off for lunch and quitting time.

Should they run them all day? Probably not, but they do.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Indolent Bastard posted:

Leaf blowers are pullstart and a pain to stop and restart constantly, so they start them at the top of the day and only shut them off for lunch and quitting time.

perhaps just don't loving use them? crazy idea i no

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

perhaps just don't loving use them? crazy idea i no

Then how are you going to blow your leaves, genius?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Nostradingus posted:

Then how are you going to blow your leaves, genius?

Well, there are these things called rakes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MightyJoe36 posted:

I don't understand how you blow leaves with this weird looking piece of poo poo:

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Neighbour's son has a new moped. He is driving back and forth, up and down the street, making the engine backfire on purpose every few minutes.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

MightyJoe36 posted:

Grab a rake and use it for hours and hours every day. For weeks and months and years. Let me know how you feel about blowers then.

Blowers are noisy, but they make a poo poo job slightly less poo poo for unskilled labourers.

Sorry dude. 🤷‍♂️

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I just leave the leaves where they fall and it's always been fine.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You gotta have that perfectly manicured fake-rear end looking lawn.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I thought of a peeve, but by the time I located this thread, I forgot it, so I guess forgetting things is my peeve now

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I'm working outside in a freezing windchill sanitizing carts at the grocery store and the cold is making my nose run and the snot is soaking my loving face mask. And an old man got mad at me and told me im ridiculous because this is just the flu. Go catch it then you abominable rear end

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

YouTube remembers the things you search for, which is handy because I often search for channels I like to see their new videos and I like not having to retype the whole name. But for some reason it absolutely refuses to remember "you suck at cooking". Just will not autocomplete it no matter how many times or how frequently I search for it. It's utterly perplexing and very irritating.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Indolent Bastard posted:

What kind of leafblowers are these people using? I mean, yeah, sometimes the first pull-start of the day is rough (I've used the smaller hand-held ones and also the kind you wear like a backpack), but once you've ran it for a bit it's real easy to get going again. And if you're running it all day it's gonna run out of gas a few times anyway so that wouldn't actually prevent multiple pull-starts.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

poo poo programs and phone apps that include recommendations or suggestions that you can not turn off and are not based on what you do in the app, like spotify has a big dumb TEDx banner at the top because it thinks i will like it, but i dont want to even remember that that poo poo exists

related: the use of tedx in education. don't use ted talks in schools idiots it's literally brain poison

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tiggum posted:

YouTube remembers the things you search for, which is handy because I often search for channels I like to see their new videos and I like not having to retype the whole name. But for some reason it absolutely refuses to remember "you suck at cooking". Just will not autocomplete it no matter how many times or how frequently I search for it. It's utterly perplexing and very irritating.

It's almost certainly the word 'suck'. It always makes me smile when I type in something with a curse word and search suggestions just stops dead like it has no idea what strange mystical glyph I just put in.

F... gently caress??? The F word?? SURELY you meant to type 'gently caress'... Here are results for gently caress because we are not allowed to show you suggestions for the bad word.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

InediblePenguin posted:

I'm working outside in a freezing windchill sanitizing carts at the grocery store and the cold is making my nose run and the snot is soaking my loving face mask. And an old man got mad at me and told me im ridiculous because this is just the flu. Go catch it then you abominable rear end

It is sure as gently caress not just the flu. I have never been that sick in my entire life. If I lived alone I would have ended up in the hospital, I straight up was unable to take care of myself. Even walking ten feet to the bathroom had me winded.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

It's almost certainly the word 'suck'. It always makes me smile when I type in something with a curse word and search suggestions just stops dead like it has no idea what strange mystical glyph I just put in.

Weirdly, it will suggest things that start "you suck at cooking" it just won't suggest that phrase by itself or remember that I've searched it before:

So I can press the down arrow and then delete the word "chili" to get the actual channel name, but it won't offer even that suggestion until I get to the U of "suck".

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

CJacobs posted:

F... gently caress??? The F word?? SURELY you meant to type 'gently caress'... Here are results for gently caress because we are not allowed to show you suggestions for the bad word.

Try typing "Skeletons Having Sex On A Hot Tin Roof" on your phone, and see how far you get with YouTube's autofill.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well it wasn't the word I was expecting I'll give you that (it was 'having'). Clearly youtube has a paranoid bias against skeletons claiming ownership of things.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

CJacobs posted:

Well it wasn't the word I was expecting I'll give you that (it was 'having'). Clearly youtube has a paranoid bias against skeletons claiming ownership of things.

Poor Mr skeltal :(

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Tiggum posted:

Weirdly, it will suggest things that start "you suck at cooking" it just won't suggest that phrase by itself or remember that I've searched it before:

So I can press the down arrow and then delete the word "chili" to get the actual channel name, but it won't offer even that suggestion until I get to the U of "suck".

How often do you listen to the Murmurs to get that to pop up?

I haven't listened to that song in ages. The video clip is painfully early/mid nineties. Missing some b+w street scenes shot at odd angles though, so could be worse.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

How often do you listen to the Murmurs to get that to pop up?

I don't think I ever have. :iiam:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Huh, it doesn't show on my phone, but my PC YouTube search matches yours more or less.

The video only has 300k views too. A mystery indeed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You click a video on Facebook, watch a little bit and decide you're done with it, so you click it again to stop it playing because that's how literally every other internet video works but instead it just makes it bigger. :stare:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oookay, got a couple today.

ONE. Just... motorcycles. Why are they so loud? Why are there always a thousand of them, roaring at top volume, within earshot?

TWO. People who blast music on their bluetooth speaker loud enough to hear down the block. Not only do we get to hear your lovely music, but ALSO your CONSTANT TEXT MESSAGE DINGS and the S_NGS CU_TT_NG OU_ when you walk away! Thanks!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The good news is, someone who lives near you owning a motorcycle is a problem that eventually takes care of itself

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

CJacobs posted:

The good news is, someone who lives near you owning a motorcycle is a problem that eventually takes care of itself

Unfortunately at the end of my street there's a bar that's pretty popular with bikers. So it's kind of a renewing problem. :( I've absolutely seen what looked like wakes there, though, so that's... well, not sure where I'm going with that.

Only time I've ever called the cops in my neighborhood was when I saw the people down the street put a 13-14yo girl on the motorcycle, she drove it a few houses' length, then fell over and lay still for a couple minutes. I happened to see this from the porch, couldn't believe my eyes. I've never seen anything so stupid in my life, besides the guy who drove with a dog in a pickup bed on the highway.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

work in a grocery store

we finally have toilet paper but people are still fear-stocking canned goods to the point we can't keep them in stock

we have a limit: no more than 4 cans of each type of item - you can get 4 cans of carrots and 4 cans of peas and 4 cans of sweet corn and 4 cans of a slightly different kind of carrot and 4 cans of potatoes and so on, it's not like "you can only get 4 cans, total" - i think this is loving generous

but today was my first time working near the registers instead of out and around the shop so i got to hear the MULTIPLE PEOPLE demanding to speak to the manager about our DRACONIAN NONSENSE RATIONING

they all argued that because our shelves are almost bare and we keep running out of stock, they NEED to buy all of it before somebody else does

i have spent the last several years of my life trying to become a better, kinder, more forgiving person. to become more of a pacifist and stop getting so loving angry

but holy poo poo i wished loving destruction upon all those people and i'm disappointed it didn't get visited upon them loving immediately

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

There is NOTHING I hate more than someone explaining why a policy/rule/law exists in their rationale for why it shouldn't

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

at least the store manager was pretty straightforward with saying "there are ten thousand other people in this town who also need to eat. i'll take your extra cans and put them back on the shelf for you." without brooking any further argument or trying to sweet-talk them at all, because he's been dealing with this poo poo every day for a month and a half and he's fuckin done with humoring these people. if i'd had to listen to somebody BE NICE TO THESE ASSHOLES i would've probably acted impulsively out of frustrated fury, and it would've been embarrassing rather than badass in any way lmbo

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Brawnfire posted:

There is NOTHING I hate more than someone explaining why a policy/rule/law exists in their rationale for why it shouldn't
But it's inconveniencing meeeeeeeeeeee.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Some one, probably my downstairs neighbour, has filled one of my green bins, which are for garden waste only, with bedding, probably because the black bins were full until this friday, so I'm going to have to sort that out before I can do any gardening. All they've done is waste my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Some one, probably my downstairs neighbour, has filled one of my green bins, which are for garden waste only, with bedding, probably because the black bins were full until this friday, so I'm going to have to sort that out before I can do any gardening. All they've done is waste my time.

My father-in-law helped with a lot of remodeling of our house (which I am grateful for), but doesn’t live in a city with the multi garbage can thing. So every other month I’d see the garbage men dump our stuff, then stop and get out of the truck with a clipboard to write something down and it’s like “Oh good, I guess the utility bill will be a bit higher this month”.

And no, explaining the cans doesn’t work with him. I’ve been in the same career for a decade and he still has never internalized what my job is, no matter how many times I explain it.