Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Loving the game so far. Ran into the occasional infinite loading screen but other then that it has been running great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!
I have to go pass the gently caress out but that just means time will compress until I can play XCOM

FRIENDS, I WILL SEE YOU TOMORROW, IN A DOOR KICKING FUTURE. SHOOT MANY BAD GUYS UNTIL I RETURN.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So the general consensus seems to be "Thing good"?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
How long is this game? I enjoy it a lot so far!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Devs guessed around 20 hours iirc.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Josef bugman posted:

Thing Good. Thing Really loving Good for only $10.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I decided to go for Progeny because I didn't see anyone else going for them. Unfortunately, the bastards have Soulfire, so that sucks.

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Klyith posted:

XCOM 3: Sneks in The City, A Visual Novel
:pusheen:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

jimmydalad posted:

So I decided to go for Progeny because I didn't see anyone else going for them. Unfortunately, the bastards have Soulfire, so that sucks.

I went with them because they sounded the most like the tutorial guy's "And then XCOM went soft!" rant. But yeah, soulfire sucks. Thankfully, Cherub's shield completely blocks it (don't know how, it's a psychic attack, but not gonna argue).

Also loved how during the tutorial when you zoomed in to take a look at a shot you'd get an audio pop up from the museum displays. Best part is how it glitches out on the Commander's name.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
FYI, things you've hacked can switch allegiances back on their turn, and if there was a declared hack duration I missed it.

So, for example, you wouldn't want to leave your medic with their back facing a hacked turret to get suddenly crit from behind for 7 hp.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It is extremely funny, to me, that the X-COPs can load up their shotguns with tranquilizer darts and go ham with NON LETHAL TAKEDOWNS

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Eej posted:

It is extremely funny, to me, that the X-COPs can load up their shotguns with tranquilizer darts and go ham with NON LETHAL TAKEDOWNS

*rag dolls halfway out of a window backwards clearly with a broken spine*

+20 intel for capturing target alive!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Pretty sure the lads in suits aren't humans they're hybrids which is why they're working with the bad guys so they can get their fix of liquefied human to stave off the fade

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Went after Grey Phoenix first. The two squadmates I've picked up thus far are Claymore and Torque. Torque made me laugh out loud twice within three short conversations of her arrival. And I'm so glad she has the classic Tongue Grab and Bind.

Claymore is slow as balls, but I can see his explosives being useful. I just got his sticky grenade, though I haven't had much time to play with it yet. Cherub is definitely a defensive asset, but he doesn't really end up doing much offensively, which is understandable. Tutorial ends up, as far as I can tell, railroading you into having your first Android available pretty early, and I've had them come into play once so far. He was helpful! Not as helpful as Godmother would have been, probably, but still helpful!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Game locks up when I have all my guys ready to enter evac.

oh right this is why i dont play ironman, good to know.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

its the chex quest version of xcom and it is amazing.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

listen buddy!

I'm only a few missions in, and the game desperately needs more J Jonah Sectoid.

Fighting the Advent loyalists, and I like that they have the same voice lines as XCOM2, but without the extreme distortion effects.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

It's actually hilarious on evac missions, that the last person can die and bleed out, but still will be back in base. How did they get out???

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm only a few missions in, and the game desperately needs more J Jonah Sectoid.

Photos! Photos of The Commander!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh man I'm getting some serious Phantom Doctrine vibes from this.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Putting tranq rounds on a shotgunner like Godmother just seems really unfair. It reaches a point where she just decimates entire rooms and they still count as being knocked unconscious even though they're thrown halfway across the room.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Godmother sounds like she's voice by the same voice actor as the one that voiced Pallegina in PoE

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

jimmydalad posted:

Putting tranq rounds on a shotgunner like Godmother just seems really unfair. It reaches a point where she just decimates entire rooms and they still count as being knocked unconscious even though they're thrown halfway across the room.
That´s pretty much what I´ve done as well since she looked like a proper Alpha-strike character that focuses on deleting enemies in one shot. It does feel right in combination with her callsign, IMHO.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Gyoru posted:

Godmother sounds like she's voice by the same voice actor as the one that voiced Pallegina in PoE
It is in fact the same voice actress, Mela Lee, having just sat through the credits (they're accessible in the main menu options).

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

uber_stoat posted:

listen buddy!

i was gonna wait on this game but this image alone sold me

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

City 31.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
After about 6 hours on impossible(starting vs Grey Phoenix), game good. A few things I've picked up about characters:

• Terminal feels utterly mandatory early game on impossible. Her heal dramatically extends your squad's operating time, she can get rid of a lot of annoying status ailments, and if the worst happens she can stabilize people at range rather than having to waste a person's turn hoofing it over. The increased HP relative to damage dealt and the interleaved turns making alpha striking all opponents to death before they shoot impossible means that healing is a lot more valuable.
  • MVP so far is Zephyr. Despite not having a gun, it turns out that 100% accurate punches that hurt like gunshots and also apply random horribly debilitating status effects are really powerful. As she promotes she gets absolutely silly - she picks up the Templar's parry from XCOM2 almost instantly, and her second promotion gives her more melee damage and also makes all of her punches nonlethal, meaning that she hands out naps like it's going out of style.
  • Verge is a high priority pickup if you're fighting Grey Phoenix, since Mutons and Vipers have bad will so he can clown on them easily.
  • Axiom raging out is frequently more of a benefit than it is a penalty given that when it triggers it instantly gives him a turn, so just hype him up at every opportunity unless you're getting ready to evac.
  • Claymore sucks horribly out of the gate, though I haven't had a chance to level him yet to see if his skills compensate. Super slow movement plus shotgun is not a good look, and the frag grenade is difficult to use unless you plan to shoot it immediately, which in turn takes his entire turn.
  • Torque can stack a million dodge very easily, so I have her geared to go punch things a lot with a stock. Tongue grab also has tons of utility, both offensively and defensively. Bind is sometimes useful in small encounters.

And general tips:

• All items are free actions, which means they are insanely powerful. Never, ever take the field without using as many utility items as you can afford, because a ceasefire grenade or a flashbang can turn an entire turn in your favor without even taking an action to do so.
  • I'm still getting a grasp on the economy, but field team spam seems nearly as vital as satellite spam from XCOM1. You have zero natural income without field teams, and your ability to control unrest heavily depends on having field teams spread around liberally.
  • The power of field teams means that intel seems to take a big priority early on with regard to resource selection. Elerium is only used for research so you don't need a big shitpile of it early on when you can't afford an agent to speed research along. Credits move into a dominant spot once your field teams are established, because items are so powerful in this one and you also need to spend tons of credits to implement a lot of research projects(for example, finishing enhanced armor research means you have to spend 200 credits to actually get the upgrade).

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Psion posted:

Out of the three agents I could pick I went with Zephyr because kicking dudes in the face seems like a solid early game strategy. So far: yes!

Kanos posted:

• MVP so far is Zephyr. Despite not having a gun, it turns out that 100% accurate punches that hurt like gunshots and also apply random horribly debilitating status effects are really powerful. As she promotes she gets absolutely silly - she picks up the Templar's parry from XCOM2 almost instantly, and her second promotion gives her more melee damage and also makes all of her punches nonlethal, meaning that she hands out naps like it's going out of style

I love her.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Kanos posted:

[*]The power of field teams means that intel seems to take a big priority early on with regard to resource selection. Elerium is only used for research so you don't need a big shitpile of it early on when you can't afford an agent to speed research along. Credits move into a dominant spot once your field teams are established, because items are so powerful in this one and you also need to spend tons of credits to implement a lot of research projects(for example, finishing enhanced armor research means you have to spend 200 credits to actually get the upgrade).[/list]

The importance of intel early on is at least helped by how you can get +20 intel on nearly every mission.

Also I think I figured out the intel/capture system: You have to get a certain amount of unconscious dudes to get the guaranteed reward at the end. Otherwise you roll the dice and your percent chance to get the bonus is X/Y where X is the # you bagged and Y is the threshold to get a guaranteed reward.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Oh, once you defeat a faction, you get a bunch of upgrades depending on the faction that you defeated in the assembly.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So I'm about to start this game, playing on expert cause reviews said it was way too easy on normal, is there a consensus on the heal between encounters option? It defaults to half heal, just wondering if people would recommend turning that off or whatever.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Alkydere posted:

The importance of intel early on is at least helped by how you can get +20 intel on nearly every mission.

Also I think I figured out the intel/capture system: You have to get a certain amount of unconscious dudes to get the guaranteed reward at the end. Otherwise you roll the dice and your percent chance to get the bonus is X/Y where X is the # you bagged and Y is the threshold to get a guaranteed reward.

The economy seems to be balanced around you getting capture rewards the majority of the time, since field team setup costs scale quite quickly and you have to pay intel to upgrade your teams as well. As for how captures work, it seems to just be "every guy you capture is a +20% chance to get +20 intel, capping at 5 captures for a 100% chance", so you don't really need to go out of your way to knock out every enemy because it stops mattering once you get that 100%.

thebardyspoon posted:

So I'm about to start this game, playing on expert cause reviews said it was way too easy on normal, is there a consensus on the heal between encounters option? It defaults to half heal, just wondering if people would recommend turning that off or whatever.

It's off by default on Impossible and it's a pretty major thing you have to play around.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

uber_stoat posted:

listen buddy!

The Alex Jones sectoid is the best

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 24, 2020

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I decided to reinstall the game after rage-uninstalling, figuring that I've accepted the mission is a dead loss and I'll just carry on, maybe save two or three guys if I can kill the pod that I stupidly uncovered (you can't ask the Skyranger to pick you up from 50 feet away from the extraction zone on some missions which is some bullshit imo but whatever)

Three guys left. First Advent shot is a 35%er, hits, dead. One guy panics and hunkers down. Fire back, 75% change to hit. Miss
Second Advent turn, fires on the guy hunkering down. 15%, hits. Dead. Other Advent trooper goes on overwatch.
My guy panics and runs out of cover. Overwatch guy fires. 5%. Hits. Dead.

Cool. Cool.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
In case someone hasn't figured it out yet, the console is alive and well in Chimera

Bypass the launcher and run "binaries/win64/xcom.exe -allowconsole"
Probably be careful with the additional debug buttons that appear in the main menu now :)
Open console with tilde key (might depend on keyboard setup) when in the savegame
Commands are similar to xcom2

GiveResource credits 100
GiveResource elerium 100
GiveResource intel 100
GiveItem Medikit 10
GiveItem VenomRounds 10
GiveItem APRounds 10

GiveItem AimUpgrade_Sup 10 (scope 15%)
GiveItem ClipsizeUpgrade_Sup 10 (+3 clip size)
GiveItem MissDamageUpgrade_Sup 10 (stock +3dam on miss)

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
That’s about a 1/2000 chance to happen if you’re quoting the percentages and no funny business with the game biasing in your favor. You don’t notice the battles where you’re the one making the low probability rolls, but you’d expect runs of bad luck over the course of a game. That’s why optimum play is to always clear pods the turn they activate if at all possible, and if you can’t to reduce the number of shots taken by manipulating the AI.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I know I'm bad at the game but it's pretty funny that I got back on the game thinking the mission is dead so whatever happens won't annoy me and the game instantly throws a 1/2000 kill cascade at me. I was very likely to lose anyway it's just that I lost in the most :xcom: way possible.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Basically doesn't run on my toaster, even though XCOM 2 works fine. So disappointed 😔

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Can't say I'm a huge fan of infinite reinforcements that get their turn put before 3/4 of your squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Quick trip report, don't try to investigate the psionics first (psionics adds a whole bunch of mechanics that it feels are easier to cope with when your squad aren't all rookies).