Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

8pm is usually the time I take a relaxing dump after finally convincing my kid to go to bed, so it's nice to have the applause for a job well done.

e: 205g is a decent estimate of how much poop I produce at 8pm given a 400g daily average and two poops per day. Thanks Google.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

About 30 seconds of polite bowling green style applause here, could barely hear it, marvellous

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Five minutes of clapping, including one cowbell, and second wave of clapping after three minutes
Nice foreboding for September, props to this season's writers.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Aw I was in the shower for the clap. Was it good?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Wish the local conservative association would celebrate clap for the NHS by letting off a shitload of fireworks inside their building.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
This just about beggars belief!

https://twitter.com/G_Orwell_Genius/status/1253337721176649728?s=20

And now they have apologized, it wasn't meant to be political!!!

https://twitter.com/TheAwesomeMove1/status/1252960929836400641?s=20

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Booty clapping for the NHS is something I could get behind tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

You gotta get dummy thicc.

Sadly my rear end is perpetually disappointing, it all goes to my hips.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Camrath posted:

A friend of mine shared this, and I found myself wondering what the thread’s take on it would be. Anyone who understands the law/legislative procedure better than me willing to comment?

https://davidallengreen.com/2020/04/the-significant-extension-of-the-coronavirus-restriction-on-movement-and-why-it-is-concerning/

Green is a classical liberal, but he’s a good lawyer (way more so than Maugham, etc, it’s just that he’s a solicitor not a barrister so not a QC etc). He’s precisely right on this.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Are the same idiots out on London Bridge clapping?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

happyhippy posted:

Are the same idiots out on London Bridge clapping?

before the Londoners correct you, it was Westminster Bridge last week, not London Bridge

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Heard the people in the flats opposite stood in the carpark clapping for the first time tonight.

Sounded like it was their first time clapping ever. Brought to mind that clip of Gove doing something clap-adjacent that time.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Absolutely gently caress all clapping here, just some car horns in the distance and that could be any night

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I heard the clatter for the first time this week because it's the first time I've not been doing something on Discord and it really made me realise just how

meh

the whole idea is.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

My constituency has been voting Tory by over 50% for decades now, so I can only assume that of all of the people clapping outside, at least half of them are cunts.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

winegums posted:

Aw I was in the shower for the clap.

That doesn't work on it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yeah it's got me absolutely raging, all the other stuff like "single sex spaces" is bad enough but the stuff about trans kids is literally, with no hyperbole, going to kill kids. A lot of them. There's one decision that's extremely loving irreversible and it's when you commit suicide.

Guavanaut posted:

How good/bad are the medical establishment on this at present? Because that's one of the things that it'll run headlong into.

All it takes is medical professionals declaring that puberty being allowed to proceed is a 'harmful irreversible step' and that part of the legislation is mostly defanged.

Varies wildly, but my understanding is a lot of progress has been made in recent years in getting them to realize it's A) real B) true C) not fake and D) important. You've still got plenty of absolute weapons out there but there are definitely going to be at least SOME medical professionals who will say "er this will cause us to be complicit in kids dying so no thanks Liz, go back to worrying about pork markets"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

About a quarter way down this page:

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04/supermarkets-coronavirus-latest/

Doesn't really mention 'vulnerable' only NHS but possibly the same.

Thank you.

Soylent Yellow posted:

NHS yes, elderly and vulnerable, no.

Thank you.

Tarnop posted:

This is their vulnerable customers help page.

Most supermarkets have moved from having a dedicated time in store to prioritising vulnerable customers for delivery slots. There's details of how you might get one of these slots on the page I linked. If the person in question doesn't already have an Asda account then it looks like you might have to jump through some hoops to get access.

Thank you.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As others have said, they don't, but the two I've seen in the last week strongly suggest that 8-9am on Tuesday and Thursday (Mon, Wed and Fri being reserved for NHS) is the golden hour - no visible queues outside.

And thank you.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

winegums posted:

Aw I was in the shower for the clap. Was it good?

Two blokes started a "I've been meaning to say this actually so while you're here..." argument that escalated to actual pushing, and a young lad and a Healthy Boomer both had tennis rackets on them so they played a few swings across the road it was legit heartwarming as gently caress to see. I'd say it was the best clap so far from my end.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It was dead quiet round here.

I also ran a DnD game this evening for my friends from home, most of us just drinking and having a fun time.

I have to choose weather to do my big shop Saturday or Sunday as I don't want more food than neccesary in the house/ don't have a car to transport things.

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah it's got me absolutely raging, all the other stuff like "single sex spaces" is bad enough but the stuff about trans kids is literally, with no hyperbole, going to kill kids. A lot of them. There's one decision that's extremely loving irreversible and it's when you commit suicide.

Yep. This was what I feared. There does need to be a way to stop this because it is just so awful and pointless.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
ooo errr missus, don't upset our forensic friend:

https://twitter.com/cecilyleah/status/1253424581823442944?s=20

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

that is a terrible suit

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Welp, that's loving awful. Going to be horrified to hear what "proper checks and balances" have to be maintained to not be persecuted.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

bionic vapour boy posted:

A few people on twitter have pointed out that this TERF bullshit could turn over Gillick competence, which is basically what allows kids to have say over their own medical treatment without parental consent/knowledge.

What worries me more than just Gillick competence is the idea that this could be the thin end of the wedge for withdrawing from the ECHR and burning down the Human Rights Act. Consider; the Tories do this in their usual half-arsed way, it gets challenged, it ends up in the ECHR because of course it does, and a ruling comes down to follow precedents such as Van Kuck v Germany and tells the Tories to sod off. This is going to take some years to play out and, conveniently near the time of the next election, it becomes a cause celebre for the right of the party to start bleating about unelected Euro-judges dictating to us, this isn't what we left the EU for, we can't possibly be said to have properly left the EU until, et cetera et cetera.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

If they do this, they are doing away with Gillick Competence, which will also result in a whole host of regressive poo poo like no abortions before you're 18 or not being able to request medical treatment for mental health issues or addiction or anything you might want kept private from your parents/legal guardian. Remember the term, bring it up when people argue this bullshit line.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillick_competence

Edit: beaten by a country mile

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 24, 2020

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Laughing at those who voted for this man.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
ANECDOTAL COVID NEWS : someone who works at the same care home as my wife tested positive for corona (and had also been secretly moonlighting at other care homes, the oval office).

All staff got tested within 24 hours, although they did have to go to Gatwick Airport to get it done, which is a bit weird considering we've got several which are closer to home.

Apparently results are meant to arrive within two days, but often takes up to five, according to others.

We're now having to self isolate at least til the results are in, which is a bit of a bugger cos we're low on food.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ms Adequate posted:

Varies wildly, but my understanding is a lot of progress has been made in recent years in getting them to realize it's A) real B) true C) not fake and D) important. You've still got plenty of absolute weapons out there but there are definitely going to be at least SOME medical professionals who will say "er this will cause us to be complicit in kids dying so no thanks Liz, go back to worrying about pork markets"

A doctor friend of mine went from seemingly not very clued up/interested in trans issues to asking me "why are there so many transphobic feminists on the internet" in the last few years, so I hope you're right that progress is happening. Just need to keep reminding people that it's happening because of loud angry people being loud and angry, not because of "decorum" or "history naturally getting better :jerkbag:"

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52394485

The first human trial in Europe of a coronavirus vaccine has begun in Oxford.

Two volunteers were injected, the first of more than 800 people recruited for the study.

Half will receive the Covid-19 vaccine, and half a control vaccine which protects against meningitis but not coronavirus.

The design of the trial means volunteers will not know which vaccine they are getting, though doctors will.

Elisa Granato, one of the two who received the jab, told the BBC: "I'm a scientist, so I wanted to try to support the scientific process wherever I can."

The vaccine was developed in under three months by a team at Oxford University. Sarah Gilbert, professor of vaccinology at the Jenner Institute, led the pre-clinical research.

"Personally I have a high degree of confidence in this vaccine," she said.

"Of course, we have to test it and get data from humans. We have to demonstrate it actually works and stops people getting infected with coronavirus before using the vaccine in the wider population."

Prof Gilbert previously said she was "80% confident" the vaccine would work, but now prefers not to put a figure on it, saying simply she is "very optimistic" about its chances.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Hey UKMT, I have a job opening that I need to fill and bringing a comrade onboard would be great. It's a role on my team processing Patent & Pharmaceutical data for a midsize (~4k people) research company.

At the most basic level I just need someone who is meticulous and able to learn, a background in pharma/patents or a science degree would be great but are not essential. It's technically based in southbank London but obviously is remote for the foreseeable future and there's no reason that couldn't continue after the lockdown lifts. Pay is around £33k plus pretty good benefits including a 11% pension contribution and company is quite a chill place to work. Union rep is through Unite and they have a strong presence and collective bargaining unit.

Shoot me a pm if you're interested or hit me up on the discord, same name as here.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

A doctor friend of mine went from seemingly not very clued up/interested in trans issues to asking me "why are there so many transphobic feminists on the internet" in the last few years, so I hope you're right that progress is happening. Just need to keep reminding people that it's happening because of loud angry people being loud and angry, not because of "decorum" or "history naturally getting better :jerkbag:"
Also because our current understanding of medical science doesn't support TERF poo poo. TERFs and the religious right have been plenty loud and angry, but they're also making medically unsubstantiated claims.

That's part of a chain of medicine going back to Magnus Hirschfeld. Of course, that didn't stop politicians ignoring Hirschfeld and burning all his records, but people need to be getting loud and angry to stop that happening ever again.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Trump has suggested people inject themselves with disinfectant

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/it-s-irresponsible-it-s-dangerous-experts-rip-trump-s-n1191246

quote:

After a Homeland Security official mentioned the ability of disinfectants like bleach to kill the coronavirus on surfaces, Trump remarked on the effectiveness.

"And then I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning?" Trump said during his daily briefing at the White House. "Because, you see, it gets on the lungs, and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it'd be interesting to check that. So that you're going to have to use medical doctors, but it sounds — it sounds interesting to me."

Possibly a new level of stupidity? Anyway the only people who are gonna do this are stupid maga chuds owning the libs so no great loss. It's funny, i was thinking just last week that Trump should just come out and say "drink bleach to WIN against the virus" and all it would do is cull his most die hard supporter base.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It wouldn't surprise me if half his most ardent supporters weren't drinking bleach already.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1253400851248492544?s=19

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Just got pulled off of furlough because the wonderful company that employs me suddenly realised that having a fully security cleared engineer with access to all of the required computer systems on one of the sites that we cover sitting at home eating crisps and playing computer games might be a better choice to cover the self-isolating normal person in there than someone from London without any form of clearance at all

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Trump has suggested people inject themselves with disinfectant

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/it-s-irresponsible-it-s-dangerous-experts-rip-trump-s-n1191246

Possibly a new level of stupidity? Anyway the only people who are gonna do this are stupid maga chuds owning the libs so no great loss. It's funny, i was thinking just last week that Trump should just come out and say "drink bleach to WIN against the virus" and all it would do is cull his most die hard supporter base.

They're going to use it on their kids, though, and the American education system is patchy enough that a fair amount of them genuinely won't know better.

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

Any furloughed staff here? My employer has just sent us all information about our upcoming pay and I'm curious if anyone else has received similar correspondence.

Employer posted:

Reviewing your pay
Please note:
• You will be able to see how much you earned from *EMPLOYER* for the tax year ending
April 5th 2020 on your March payslip, however, for the calculation of average pay
there are a number of types of payments we must exclude which does include any
one off bonuses
• All payments are based on your pay to date. No changes as a result of National
Minimum Wage increases are considered.
• Your average pay for the year has been calculated by the system but doesn’t show
on your payslip. These calculations have been checked.
• If you have been on a long period of absence (e.g. maternity or long-term sick) and
have returned, your pay will be based on your contracted hours OR pay in April 2019
whichever is highest. It will not be reduced as a result of your period of absence.
Short term absences may impact pay.
• The system will not show line by line what you are being paid and how. It will adjust
your regular salary which will be either positive (if your average salary is much higher)
or a negative (if your payment will be reduced) due to the furlough.
How much will you be paid this month.
Importantly, you are again being paid for 5 weeks in April, up to the 19th April.
This means that you will have been furloughed for a minimum period of 3 weeks in that time.
In May you will be paid for 3 weeks, and then in June for 5 weeks. You should budget
accordingly.
You will receive payment for the following:
• Hours worked from the 16th March to the date you were furloughed, plus any holiday
pay or sickness pay due for that period
• Furlough pay from the date you were furloughed until the 19th April.
• Your furlough pay will be based on your average earnings, prorated for the period of
furlough and paid at 80%.

Hourly paid furlough pay
As you are hourly paid, the amount that you earn may differ across each month. Therefore,
your average pay is calculated in order to determine your furloughed pay.
How are average earnings calculated?
• The system will review your average earnings for the last 12 months (or less if your
employment began during the 12 months) including hours paid, holiday paid,
overtime paid, acting up allowances, back pay and underpayments.
• Bonuses and one-off payments are NOT included.
• This will be compared to your pay in April 2019. If you started after that date only the
average since you started will be used. You will receive 80% of this amount pro-rated
to the period being paid

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
As a contrwctor I am apparently not eligible for furlough and after 5 weeks of them paying us we're getting a 5 day forced holiday which means no pay

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Just got pulled off of furlough because the wonderful company that employs me suddenly realised that having a fully security cleared engineer with access to all of the required computer systems on one of the sites that we cover sitting at home eating crisps and playing computer games might be a better choice to cover the self-isolating normal person in there than someone from London without any form of clearance at all

Don't they have to give you warning about that? I am not sure they can "just pull you off furlough"?

I'm getting the full amount just at the end of each month as usual. Not having to use holiday or anything else yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Don't they have to give you warning about that? I am not sure they can "just pull you off furlough"?

I'm getting the full amount just at the end of each month as usual. Not having to use holiday or anything else yet.

Not a clue. I have an email somewhere, but going by what the guy I spoke to on the phone and knowing the company I work for, this has all been bungled and I'm the last to know