Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The Doomhammer posted:

Honestly the character I'm most interested in is Rufus, gotta wonder what his being able to see the whispers means going forward. It'd be funny if he ended up having his AC-era face-turn earlier in the story, all buddying up to Reeve and going 'Uh, is it just me or is every other member of the board COMPLETELY INSANE?'

"What do you mean my dad didn't want to rebuild Sector 7? We can't just leave an entire section of the city in ruins!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Necrothatcher posted:

So what did she do when she turned the portal from purple to gold? What would have happened if they'd gone through the purple portal?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

So what did she do when she turned the portal from purple to gold? What would have happened if they'd gone through the purple portal?

They would have fought Genesis instead.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Besides somehow keeping that one minigame where dudes run up the mountain and you place other dudes to stop them, my other biggest wish is that the whole destiny is now off the rails thing is to have at least one thing happen that literally no one can take in stride. I want to see visible confusion on Sephiroth's face. I want Shinra and the party to bond over having no idea what to do with this development. I want The Planet and Jenova to somehow convey enough emotion to be read as bafflement.

Whole heartedly agree. I live to see Sephiroth for once be flustered.

The Doomhammer posted:

Honestly the character I'm most interested in is Rufus, gotta wonder what his being able to see the whispers means going forward. It'd be funny if he ended up having his AC-era face-turn earlier in the story, all buddying up to Reeve and going 'Uh, is it just me or is every other member of the board COMPLETELY INSANE?'

This brings up a very interesting interpretation. Does Rufus have his memories intact the same way as Aerith and Sephiroth seem to? That would change the ball game in a BIG way. Was his fight with Cloud measuring up his strength or something else....poo poo now I wanna know.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i can see why they cut rufus' "i'll rule with fear" speech because that's basically what his father did. it also didn't make much sense in the original game because we never get to see him actually manage shinra, he's just leapfrogging from one crisis to another until Diamond WEAPON blows him up

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rhonne posted:

"What do you mean my dad didn't want to rebuild Sector 7? We can't just leave an entire section of the city in ruins!"

This *does* sound like the guy who was originally introduced by calling his father a pussy and saying he was going to go even harder, then trying to have the party put to death while the world was ending.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I think the best change I could anticipate for the new sub-series would be Sephiroth having different motivations but similar strategies to realize his goals. Instead of "I'm crazy, kku ku ku, time to summon a meteor to destroy the world," I think the writing team could do better to make him slightly more understandable while still irredeemable. Maybe he wants to drop a meteor on Midgar because, oh I don't know, Midgar actually is destroying the Planet and turning the living consciousness of the world into electricity for bougie jerks. You can't talk him out of his plan because he's convinced he's right - he is still Sephiroth - but he's not just cackling mad until you stab his angelic form in the dick. Like, you can almost see his reasoning if you squint because it's the logical extreme of what Avalanche was already trying to do, he's just still on the genocide route of this playthrough of FF7.

Like he seems to expressly not want the Planet to die, and seems to super not want Cloud to die, and blowing up both of them with a meteor seems counter-productive. You could have things tie neatly back into his character arc by just having him be so isolated and alienated from the rest of humanity for so long that he just genuinely does not understand how to do anything else. As a SOLDIER he had no friends because of his genius and capabilities in combat. As a villain he realizes he has a whole horkin' chunk of alien DNA swimming around inside him and isn't a true-blue human being at all anyway. I think his newfound attachment to Cloud is out of some weird sense of connection - like, Cloud is the only person for whom Sephiroth isn't some abstract but an actual person who exists, or existed at one point. He isn't some archetypal Embodiment of Evil. He was a guy who had a breakdown and summarily lost his poo poo.

e: Like at the end of FF7R:
Aerith: He'd tell you he only cares about the planet. That he'd do everything in his power to protect and preserve it. But this isn't the way it's supposed to be.

This is a pretty big departure from OG FF7, where he expressly don't give a gently caress about the Planet outside of how to use the Lifestream to become God. He wouldn't even bother with the pretense that he wants to save the Planet because in OG FF7's script he quite clearly sees himself as a superior being to humanity; in the Japanese he uses archaic and grandiose speech patterns to indicate how little he thinks of everyone else, and even when Cloud is grieving Aerith's death Seph seems to be more bemused or even confused by Cloud's description of his sadness and anger, even going so far as to accuse him of faking it because Cloud can't feel things, he's just an ant or whatever.

This Sephiroth doesn't do that, and I can't imagine him as some savvy liar and schemer. He's too strong to bother with that garbage; what's the point? So even if he's wrong, I get the feeling he thinks he's doing the right thing by the Planet, which is definitely different.

It's also weird that Aerith, who is at that moment in FF7R explicitly trying to get the party to say "gently caress Destiny," makes a comment about the way things are "supposed" to be. Isn't the whole point that the party is now in opposition to the way things are "supposed" to be?

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 24, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Necrothatcher posted:

Presumably the portal as it was went to the same place, but Sephiroth's not really a flesh and blood human so I just assume she made it safe to pursue.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Next game speculation: Zack wanders into Midgar looking for Cloud. One of the surviving members of Avalanche mistakes him for Cloud and Zack is like "Wait, you know Cloud?!"
Zack basically steps into Clouds role as Avalanches heavy, and we intersperse chapters playing as the original crew searching for Sephiroth with chapters of Zack and Avalanche fighting a guerrilla war against Shinra in Midgar, which unknowingly takes the heat off the original crew as it ties up Shinras resources, Shadow of Mordor style. Zack, Jesse, and Roche form a drama-fueled polycule.

This let's Square Enix reuse Midgar resources! And it would be cool!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

sharrrk posted:

cait sith rules and im more excited to see him back than any other party member

:same:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Folding chair

I can't wait for the PC version in a year so people can model swap Aerith's weapons into folding chairs.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 24, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

I think the best change I could anticipate for the new sub-series would be Sephiroth having different motivations but similar strategies to realize his goals. Instead of "I'm crazy, kku ku ku, time to summon a meteor to destroy the world," I think the writing team could do better to make him slightly more understandable while still irredeemable. Maybe he wants to drop a meteor on Midgar because, oh I don't know, Midgar actually is destroying the Planet and turning the living consciousness of the world into electricity for bougie jerks. You can't talk him out of his plan because he's convinced he's right - he is still Sephiroth - but he's not just cackling mad until you stab his angelic form in the dick. Like, you can almost see his reasoning if you squint because it's the logical extreme of what Avalanche was already trying to do, he's just still on the genocide route of this playthrough of FF7.

Like he seems to expressly not want the Planet to die, and seems to super not want Cloud to die, and blowing up both of them with a meteor seems counter-productive. You could have things tie neatly back into his character arc by just having him be so isolated and alienated from the rest of humanity for so long that he just genuinely does not understand how to do anything else. As a SOLDIER he had no friends because of his genius and capabilities in combat. As a villain he realizes he has a whole horkin' chunk of alien DNA swimming around inside him and isn't a true-blue human being at all anyway. I think his newfound attachment to Cloud is out of some weird sense of connection - like, Cloud is the only person for whom Sephiroth isn't some abstract but an actual person who exists, or existed at one point. He isn't some archetypal Embodiment of Evil. He was a guy who had a breakdown and summarily lost his poo poo.

e: Like at the end of FF7R:
Aerith: He'd tell you he only cares about the planet. That he'd do everything in his power to protect and preserve it. But this isn't the way it's supposed to be.

This is a pretty big departure from OG FF7, where he expressly don't give a gently caress about the Planet outside of how to use the Lifestream to become God. He wouldn't even bother with the pretense that he wants to save the Planet because in OG FF7's script he quite clearly sees himself as a superior being to humanity; in the Japanese he uses archaic and grandiose speech patterns to indicate how little he thinks of everyone else, and even when Cloud is grieving Aerith's death Seph seems to be more bemused or even confused by Cloud's description of his sadness and anger, even going so far as to accuse him of faking it because Cloud can't feel things, he's just an ant or whatever.

This Sephiroth doesn't do that, and I can't imagine him as some savvy liar and schemer. He's too strong to bother with that garbage; what's the point? So even if he's wrong, I get the feeling he thinks he's doing the right thing by the Planet, which is definitely different.

It's also weird that Aerith, who is at that moment in FF7R explicitly trying to get the party to say "gently caress Destiny," makes a comment about the way things are "supposed" to be. Isn't the whole point that the party is now in opposition to the way things are "supposed" to be?

They've done quite a bit of humanizing with some of the villainous characters in this game. I'm curious to see how it plays out and whether we get any specifics over whether Sephiroth still thinks he's an ancient or is aware Jenova is space Nyarlathotep. Also this might be wishful thinking on my part but I hope Hojo plays a bigger role as a villain because really, I think we can all unanimously agree everything is this fuckers fault and it would be immensely satisfying to have some proper build up to kicking his poo poo in. Maybe have Sephiroth/Vincent finish him off I dunno.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Schwartzcough posted:

They can't have the giant Cait Sith moogle. How would he slowly squeeze through tiny spaces or inch along narrow ledges?

Hopefully by the ps5 they won't need to take so long to load stuff in! Or they just constantly cast mini on him.

Schwartzcough posted:

Aerith in the original could barely communicate with the spirits of the ancients standing right in front of her, and could only get vague feelings and half-understood communication from the planet. I don't think a living Aerith could literally summon a giant pillar of lifestream out of the planet.

Ah, I think I understand where our interpretations differ, then. I don't think Aerith literally summoned a pillar of lifestream to do that, the impression I always got is that she asked the planet to give humanity another chance and stop both Holy and Meteor.

Her ability to talk to the planet and its spirits was growing since she got out of Midgar, seemingly culminating in her becoming attuned enough to actually use her white materia.

To me this makes more thematic sense than she needed to die for that to be possible. That she continues to help the party with motivation and a literally request on their behalf, but there's still an Aerith shaped hole there because she could have done that while alive, because death is not something that happens because it needs to, it's just something that comes.

Edit:

Flopsy posted:

They've done quite a bit of humanizing with some of the villainous characters in this game. I'm curious to see how it plays out and whether we get any specifics over whether Sephiroth still thinks he's an ancient or is aware Jenova is space Nyarlathotep. Also this might be wishful thinking on my part but I hope Hojo plays a bigger role as a villain because really, I think we can all unanimously agree everything is this fuckers fault and it would be immensely satisfying to have some proper build up to kicking his poo poo in. Maybe have Sephiroth/Vincent finish him off I dunno.

In the original, your fight with Diamond Weapon is interrupted by a Mako laser that gets coopted by Hojo and you have to parachute into Midgar to climb up and kick his Jenova infected rear end.

Gimme something that over the top and I'll be good.

Cavelcade fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 24, 2020

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It’s amazing how little of the game I actually seem to remember

I knew you return to midgar on a parachute
I remember diamond weapon and lasers
I remember fighting Hojo directly

But all of this stuff in my mind was not related

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Doomhammer posted:

And then Reeve goes "I know, right? Can you help me kidnap this four-year-old girl real quick?"

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I think it'd be cool just to see Rufus have stuff to do that isn't getting constantly clowned on for having Heidegger as his chief of Public Security and for not being Sephiroth. He doesn't need to face turn earlier imo, just be more logical and competent and threatening.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah after midgar all I ever really remember is Cosmo Canyon video, Junon, that Wutai exists and the rocket thing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How can you forget the most tragic death in video game history? When a pivotal main character unhesitatingly rushed off to their death to try and stop Sephiroth? The music and drama of it was heartbreaking.

RIP Caith Sith #1.

(to this day I don't know if that whole scene was a joke or not.)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'm guessing they changed the Jenova blood trail from red to purple so it would be easier to sell in markets that ban video game gore.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

NikkolasKing posted:

How can you forget the most tragic death in video game history? When a pivotal main character unhesitatingly rushed off to their death to try and stop Sephiroth? The music and drama of it was heartbreaking.

RIP Caith Sith #1.

(to this day I don't know if that whole scene was a joke or not.)

It was a Hollywood-style death done on purpose to throw you off the trail basically.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

whoops wrong thread

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The thing about Sephiroth in the original game was that he had three pretty distinct phases. There was Normal Sephiroth, a guy whose biggest crime was having no social skills whatsoever and creeping out most people around him. That lasts up until he makes the Jenova discovery, then he's all "I'm going to take this planet back for my mom! You humans are the real problem!" That lasts until he gets dumped into the Lifestream, and when he turns up again...well, we *never* see him in person again until the North Crater. All Sephiroth opinions are probably Jenova opinions, and this is the one who's all "Yeah I don't really care about that earlier stuff, I'm just going to drop a big rock on the planet and call it a day."

Sooooo...I wonder if this version we're dealing with now is closer to phase 2. Could be that he picked up the time travel stunt after he took his Mako dip in Nibelheim, but before he (somehow) wound up all the way at the North Crater.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm guessing they changed the Jenova blood trail from red to purple so it would be easier to sell in markets that ban video game gore.

i imagine its a lot harder to get blood trails to fly in a t-rated game with much higher detailed character models than it is when they look like lego people

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Agents are GO! posted:

Yes, such as Japan

It was 100% a ratings decision.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

sharrrk posted:

i imagine its a lot harder to get blood trails to fly in a t-rated game with much higher detailed character models than it is when they look like lego people

Well, there's also the difference that instead of murdering almost everyone in Shinra tower he instead murders a total of one person in Shinra tower (well, he tries for 2, but the second doesn't last). Presumably in the original some of that blood was from the guards and office workers and whatever.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Qrr posted:

Well, there's also the difference that instead of murdering almost everyone in Shinra tower he instead murders a total of one person in Shinra tower (well, he tries for 2, but the second doesn't last). Presumably in the original some of that blood was from the guards and office workers and whatever.

The blood trail was entirely from Jenova, which the Remake made even more clear? It's not like he was dragging around the corpses of security guards.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I'm confused with the whole Jenova thing.
If I remember correctly Sephiroth in the past in Nibelheim takes her head (The one in the doll casing) and then falls into the lifestream. Shinra takes the headless body back and stores it in Shinra Tower. So that should be the one the party encounters right?

I don't know if I missed something or didn't see it correctly but there's like a flashback in the remake to Nibleheim and I could have sworn Jenova still seems to be missing a head although in the original it should be still attached and in the doll case right?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well it could just be an image of Jenova from the brief period between when Sephiroth removed it and when he fell into the lifestream. Or it just could've been a flashback of the future. Not sure exactly what scene you're talking about.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Gotta say after reading about how much of a pain the Leviathan fight was, it didn't give me any trouble. I dunno what people mean when they say he just flies around for like literally 10 minutes, he's super easy to stagger with Barret as long as you aren't trying to shoot through his water spouts.

Manawall tanked his Tidal Wave easily and besides that he hardly does any damage at all.

I think the shittiest fight for me so far was honestly the Sahagin Prince solo fight with Cloud - he's weak to fire but it doesn't matter because he's only staggerable when he's in his counterattack mode, which is also when he's spamming his goddamn frog attack every 5 seconds.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm not enjoying doing Chapter Replay on Hard as much as I'd like because it really prioritizes swapping around weapons and Materia on a per-encounter basis and I... don't want to do that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

exquisite tea posted:

I'm not enjoying doing Chapter Replay on Hard as much as I'd like because it really prioritizes swapping around weapons and Materia on a per-encounter basis and I... don't want to do that.

Really? I've seen Max mostly keep to a single build and he's been trucking fine into Chapter 7. Where you at?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm at Airbuster and it really seems like you need two dedicated physical DPS on this fight because there's simply no way you'll have enough MP to last the whole encounter. Which is annoying me because I really like Cloud w/Mythril Saber. You can keep using Blade Burst but you get zero pressure from it.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I think I mostly just switched whatever I had linked to Elemental to hit weaknesses, the big exception obviously being Hell House because you really want to be able to hit all four. I used the weapons that have Reprieve and healing mana cost reduction for the entire game for every character

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I beat the entire game on Hard (including optional stuff) without swapping weapon builds once. Some minor materia swapping but rarely.

Also I seem to be somewhat unusual in that I never unequipped characters who left the party, I just left everyone with a full set of materia at all times, other than rare ones like Magnify. Like, they give you a billion copies of Cure and Fire and whatnot so why steal someone else's instead of using a new one?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Gotta say after reading about how much of a pain the Leviathan fight was, it didn't give me any trouble. I dunno what people mean when they say he just flies around for like literally 10 minutes, he's super easy to stagger with Barret as long as you aren't trying to shoot through his water spouts.

Manawall tanked his Tidal Wave easily and besides that he hardly does any damage at all.

I think the shittiest fight for me so far was honestly the Sahagin Prince solo fight with Cloud - he's weak to fire but it doesn't matter because he's only staggerable when he's in his counterattack mode, which is also when he's spamming his goddamn frog attack every 5 seconds.

Which Leviathan ate you fighting: the solo VR one or the one in the final Summon Bosss battle gauntlet. Because it's not that it's hard it's that it's tedious and MP sucking for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Shoot him with Barret. He's strong against magic. What are you wasting MP on exactly?

I mean fighting him the first time did piss me off since I had just equipped one of Barret's melee weapons, but it's not really an MP sink is it?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Clarste posted:

Shoot him with Barret. He's strong against magic. What are you wasting MP on exactly?

I mean fighting him the first time did piss me off since I had just equipped one of Barret's melee weapons, but it's not really an MP sink is it?

Was when I was trying with Cloud, Tifa and Aerith. The trickiness comes in the fight after. I wanna have magnify/healing but Megaflare also makes me want to have magnify/barrier. Also Leviathan is weak against thunder.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Zaa Boogie posted:

Was when I was trying with Cloud, Tifa and Aerith. The trickiness comes in the fight after. I wanna have magnify/healing but Megaflare also makes me want to have magnify/barrier. Also Leviathan is weak against thunder.

He's weak against Thunder but strong against all forms of magical damage. So weak against the Elemental materia, basically. Casting Thunder on him directly is kind of underwhelming.

I suppose you could consider it a problem that Barret is "mandatory" for that fight to not be kinda tedious though.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Clarste posted:

He's weak against Thunder but strong against all forms of magical damage. So weak against the Elemental materia, basically. Casting Thunder on him directly is kind of underwhelming.

I suppose you could consider it a problem that Barret is "mandatory" for that fight to not be kinda tedious though.

Yeah, see, I'm now trying for a 'gently caress all ya'll' build and tactic I discovered and double cast thundaga is a key to that. Last attempt I managed to get him to his Tidal Roar phase without him ever doing Tidal Wave. I'm just trying to get some muscle memory down and remembering what I actually have so I can take on Bahamut better.

Still doesn't make that second phase any dumber.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I can't give specific advice for this but I skipped Tidal Wave just by hitting him without doing anything special? I dunno. I was using Cloud, Tifa, and Barret. Barret had lightning Elemental on his weapon.

I also killed Bahamut before Megaflare which is good since I didn't have a plan for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
And we only hear about what Cloud and company are doing via news briefings in Midgar while we have our 11th sewer adventure with the B-team.