Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

rotor posted:

speaking of airships, Mortal Engines was likewise fun to watch. Again, not Important Cinema but fun to watch.

I'm 10 minutes into Mortal Engines and the economics of this world make no goddamn sense to me.

E: I am also fairly skeptical that a mouse-wheel could power that monitor?
E2: Also why is he not called "Ratthew"? This is exactly the sort of movie that would do that, so why didn't it?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Schadenboner posted:

I'm 10 minutes into Mortal Engines and the economics of this world make no goddamn sense to me.

tell ya what you're gonna do: you're gonna take that disbelief and you're gonna suspend it, way up high. Just like you did with the Matrix.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

rotor posted:

tell ya what you're gonna do: you're gonna take that disbelief and you're gonna suspend it, way up high. Just like you did with the Matrix.

I don't have to do what you say, YOU AREN'T MY REAL DAD.

But yeah, I'm all for cogfoppery but this may be an inexplicably bronzed Wild Wild West spider-walker too far.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mean like theres entire cities on wheels and airships and poo poo, you're gonna have to not worry about the economics of stuff

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

rotor posted:

But I didn't have to suspend my disbelief for the matrix

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
None of these motivations make any sense either?

Why are there North Sea oil derrick prisons when the seas are supposed to have dried up ? Why would he blow up an entire loving prison when he's almost certainly politically powerful enough to get the INEXPLICABLY GLOWING GREEN killbot released? Why did whats-his-name show a girl he's known for all of five minutes this massive stash of, I'm gonna say, archeotech explosives?

AAAAAAAAAAA

:psyboom:

E: Just stop dropping dank "Sun's going down, better drink my own urine" memes and Minions jokes and give me a loving story that makes sense. Goddamn.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 22, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
What's that cogfop atomic train movie from the other year (not the 1970s series that almost sank a network)?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

give me a loving story that makes sense.

absolutely not.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

What's that cogfop atomic train movie from the other year (not the 1970s series that almost sank a network)?

snowpiercer?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Midjack posted:

snowpiercer?

That's it. Was that one better than Mortal Engines?

It's weird because I read the first chapter of the first ME book on Kindle and it didn't seem this bad?

E: Reminds me of Jupiter Ascending: visually amazing but the story is :gas:. Still better than werewolf Channing Tatum in levitating rollerblades, but that's still not, you know, difficult?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 22, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
snowpiercer is much better than mortal engines, it's a bong joon-ho joint (parasite/the host)

they're turning it into a tv show and moved up its airdate to mid-may, too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

snowpiercer is much better than mortal engines

agreed

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Better or worse than:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUGHv2VAESE

?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

Why are there North Sea oil derrick prisons when the seas are supposed to have dried up ? Why would he blow up an entire loving prison when he's almost certainly politically powerful enough to get the INEXPLICABLY GLOWING GREEN killbot released? Why did whats-his-name show a girl he's known for all of five minutes this massive stash of, I'm gonna say, archeotech explosives?

AAAAAAAAAAA

:psyboom:
like I said I know for a fact I watched this movie and I don't remember any of this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i laughed at the concept and then watched snowpiercer and it was a fuckin' ROMP

as soon as they did the barrel thing i was loving sold

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the snowpiercer comics are good too, less action packed than the movie but worth a read imo

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i’ll watch any movie with a bunch of bad CGI *AS LONG AS* it takes place in some alternate timeline where dirigibles and blimbs are all over the place.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, and Mortal Engines, these are two of the genre defining movies of for blimpcore.

Airships docking at the top of the empire stare building???

three blimps??

a boat blimp????

sign me the gently caress up.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

UNSINKABLE

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

“supertrain” is good on its own
https://youtu.be/gUERtAe73NI

yippee cahier fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 23, 2020

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
If anybody here has not seen Jupiter Ascending they really should. It's a wild ride.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

gonadic io posted:

If anybody here has not seen Jupiter Ascending they really should. It's a wild ride.

I was told it was garbage....beautiful beautiful garbage.

I was like 290, I resisted Snowpiercer for the longest time then I bit the bullet and am glad I did. It was neat. The train cars as socioeconomic strata was pretty clever.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it was about as subtle as a brick upside the head, but otherwise fun and clearly very silly

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i’ll watch any movie with a bunch of bad CGI *AS LONG AS* it takes place in some alternate timeline where dirigibles and blimbs are all over the place.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, and Mortal Engines, these are two of the genre defining movies of for blimpcore.

Airships docking at the top of the empire stare building???

three blimps??

a boat blimp????

sign me the gently caress up.

hell yeah brother

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mods plz rename thread to blimpcore 2020

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
solar powered micro blimps that never touch down are v cuberpunk 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

rotor posted:

mods plz rename thread to dirigiblepunk 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
blimpunk

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

yes

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

I now require an example of both blimpunk and dirigiblepunk and may god have loving mercy on your soul if they are the same loving thing so help me

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

blimhunk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
which one is this

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
clockpunk

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

haveblue posted:

which one is this

every time i see this picture my favorite part is that the sidekick took the time to deploy the tripod legs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the blimp must have exploded in the middle of a portrait session and he’s all “gently caress it were still pretty close together”

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

every time i see this picture my favorite part is that the sidekick took the time to deploy the tripod legs

agreed, though the blimp having what looks like an oil derrick is pretty :discourse: too

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Thread is veering dangerously close to the realm of steampunk.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

LanceHunter posted:

Thread is veering dangerously close to the realm of steampunk.

i just fuckin love airships ok? is that so wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

syntaxrigger posted:

I now require an example of both blimpunk and dirigiblepunk and may god have loving mercy on your soul if they are the same loving thing so help me

Blimpunk is poo poo, the genre lacks an internal structure.