Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If anyone's interested, here's how I adapted Shumagorath's refinery setup to my industrial area:

I'm sure there are like ten things wrong with it. I decided I didn't need the capability to run 4 refineries simultaneously, so I took one out and added an extra aquatuner instead. The one on the right cools my industrial stuff and, off the top of the screen, my power plant. The one on the left is a spare for now but I'll probably use it to run cool pwater through the living areas of my base at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I just don't get a lot of that piping? I like using bridges frequently, but many of those are just unnecessary. Seems to apply to the original too, perhaps in the original there were legacy items since removed that needed to be routed around?

Edit: Pipe thermo sensors need to be always exactly one tile away from the component they are controlling if you are trying to protect from pipe breakages. Otherwise you are detecting what happened 2+ packets ago and you will get accidents.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 23, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Nice work - do you have motion sensors attached to those lights? If not, you could:

1) Flip the left aquatuner laterally to get the bridge out of the way
2) Move the shutoff and sensor up to the top of that level so the coolant flows tank->smelter->sensor->shutoff.
3) Run the bridges through the insulated tiles and onto the loop.

That's just how I wish I'd done it so it wasn't sensor before the machine, but... eh.

Smiling Demon posted:

I just don't get a lot of that piping? I like using bridges frequently, but many of those are just unnecessary. Seems to apply to the original too, perhaps in the original there were legacy items since removed that needed to be routed around?

Edit: Pipe thermo sensors need to be always exactly one tile away from the component they are controlling if you are trying to protect from pipe breakages. Otherwise you are detecting what happened 2+ packets ago and you will get accidents.

Bridges at directional changes are a pipe standard I adopted from someone earlier in the thread. It makes it much easier to modify fluid circuits without losing any of the contents.

In this case it's not to prevent pipe breakage but to extract the most heat out of the coolant possible while not getting so cold as to start equalizing with the aquatuner or neighbouring loops.

Anyway....

In a hilarious bit of self-owning I'm starting to run low on igneous rock. It's time to get post-hatch farming up post-haste, but I'll need to vent at least 1kg/s CO2 into space instead of the oil biome unless I want to ranch ~65 slicksters.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 23, 2020

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

In this case it's not to prevent pipe breakage but to extract the most heat out of the coolant possible while not getting so cold as to start equalizing with the aquatuner or neighbouring loops.

I hate to be rude, but I'm pretty sure that thermo sensor-shutoff on the refinery loop is doing nothing or close to it. If it is doing anything, it's because you made the radiant pipe section too short. It recovers some heat, but you bleed heat in the reservoirs, hence the wheezeworts.

Edit: I guess it works, it just seems hard for me to follow the style?

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 23, 2020

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Shumagorath posted:

In a hilarious bit of self-owning I'm starting to run low on igneous rock. It's time to get post-hatch farming up post-haste, but I'll need to vent at least 1kg/s CO2 into space instead of the oil biome unless I want to ranch ~65 slicksters.

Convert it into polluted water with carbon skimmers, then boil it into steam for a small, but perpetual, supply of dirt?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I have 800t+ of dirt and six mealwood plants to spend it on (feeding dreckos and not even bothering to shear them just because they're cute). It was easy enough to redirect 1kg/s into space so now I only need ~33 slicksters, which combined with ~6 stone hatches that I can feed off the petroleum boiler volcano is just over a stable supply of eggs for 18 dupes.

I have 7 pacus I'm slowly losing to gulp fish / tropical pacu cycling and a million calories stockpiled and can ranch mushrooms if I get desperate.

Smiling Demon posted:

I hate to be rude, but I'm pretty sure that thermo sensor-shutoff on the refinery loop is doing nothing or close to it. If it is doing anything, it's because you made the radiant pipe section too short. It recovers some heat, but you bleed heat in the reservoirs, hence the wheezeworts.

The reservoirs only bleed heat into the floor as far as I know, so the aquatuner and tempshift plates take care of that. I've read than an airflow tile filled with vacuum is a perfect insulator for both kinds of fluid tank.

The radiant pipe section should be excessive for gold in that setup. Like I said, this design is mainly an outgrowth of finding out I had 300ºC tanks of coolant in my last base and may be unnecessary if you start off right.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Smiling Demon posted:

Having worked with this in operation, I agree with you that 1) the sensor/shutoff aspect of it doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot and 2) the bridge situation is a little over the top. That said, I've been smelting a ton of stuff for dozens of cycles and it's working perfectly, so I'm happy with the result.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

I have 800t+ of dirt and six mealwood plants to spend it on (feeding dreckos and not even bothering to shear them just because they're cute). It was easy enough to redirect 1kg/s into space so now I only need ~33 slicksters, which combined with ~6 stone hatches that I can feed off the petroleum boiler volcano is just over a stable supply of eggs for 18 dupes.

I have 7 pacus I'm slowly losing to gulp fish / tropical pacu cycling and a million calories stockpiled and can ranch mushrooms if I get desperate.

The reservoirs only bleed heat into the floor as far as I know, so the aquatuner and tempshift plates take care of that. I've read than an airflow tile filled with vacuum is a perfect insulator for both kinds of fluid tank.

The radiant pipe section should be excessive for gold in that setup. Like I said, this design is mainly an outgrowth of finding out I had 300ºC tanks of coolant in my last base and may be unnecessary if you start off right.

Yeah it makes more sense after fiddling around with designs a bit. I did whip up this simple version without any automation in sandbox mode, though it requires a steel reservoir:

It recirculates the coolant infinetly, siphoning off as much as is needed to run the refinery.

edit: Scratch this, reservoirs do bleed heat into floors, but not mesh tiles apparently. Liquid reservoirs on mesh or airflow tiles in vacuum are perfectly insulated for some reason.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 24, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Oh yeah the bridging turbine output is really just me being weird and wanting to have a lot of options for piping in that area. I haven't used it before or since, and it would have made more sense to have the liquid vents on the floor of the chamber (I think Triarii mentioned losing heat otherwise).

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

Oh yeah the bridging turbine output is really just me being weird and wanting to have a lot of options for piping in that area. I haven't used it before or since, and it would have made more sense to have the liquid vents on the floor of the chamber (I think Triarii mentioned losing heat otherwise).

The steam turbine bug is that you want a small layer of petroleum on the chamber floor to avoid heat deletion IIRC. And don't make the steam too dense. Why this works this way is a bit of a mystery.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Smiling Demon posted:

The steam turbine bug is that you want a small layer of petroleum on the chamber floor to avoid heat deletion IIRC. And don't make the steam too dense. Why this works this way is a bit of a mystery.

Heres a short youtube that goes over it I just found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=907Fgud_AX8

Is the petrol on top floor relevant to heat deletion or just for easier cooling?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What is a good way to handle getting recently-hatched critters from an incubator to a ranch in a different room? I want to set up a centralized incubation and drowning area that feeds a few different hatch ranches that are nearby, but not actually in the same room. My plan is to ship all eggs from ranches to a little drowning area that is within autosweeper range of some incubators and use automation to only turn the incubators on when one of the ranches is short a hatch. When a baby hatches, is there a way to get dupes to automatically take it to a ranch with space, or will it hang out in the incubation room until I manually tell someone to wrangle it?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Bold Robot posted:

What is a good way to handle getting recently-hatched critters from an incubator to a ranch in a different room? I want to set up a centralized incubation and drowning area that feeds a few different hatch ranches that are nearby, but not actually in the same room. My plan is to ship all eggs from ranches to a little drowning area that is within autosweeper range of some incubators and use automation to only turn the incubators on when one of the ranches is short a hatch. When a baby hatches, is there a way to get dupes to automatically take it to a ranch with space, or will it hang out in the incubation room until I manually tell someone to wrangle it?

Critter drop offs. Dupes will automatically take critters out of an incubator and put them into any ranch with a critter drop off that isn't full. If dupes aren't doing that, then your critter drop offs are at too low a priority (labor shortage), or you don't have space. They will fill ranches in priority order, so if you do any starvation ranching, you can set those to a lower priority than your breeding ranches.

You don't want to put incubators in your ranches because eggs and incubating eggs count towards the number of critters in a room, which can lead to the stable being overcrowded.

Edit: Keep in mind that unpowered incubators still accept eggs; they just don't get any bonuses to critter hatching speed. One unpowered incubator will roughly keep 5 hatches worth of stable population, so you can also just build enough incubators set to hatches such that dupes will reserve enough eggs for a stable population and the rest goes to BBQ without your involvement. You will eventually get stragglers that hatch out with nowhere to go, and those you can clean up manually every few dozen cycles without much issue.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 24, 2020

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

Convert it into polluted water with carbon skimmers, then boil it into steam for a small, but perpetual, supply of dirt?

this gives you less dirt than skimmer > sieve > compost, although obviously it's less labor

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Yeah, I've gotten to where I really don't like the compost piles because they can't be automated. If I don't have some other way to dispose of polluted dirt, I just dump it in a storage bin surrounded by deodorizers and let it offgas into (eventually) nothing.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

Yeah, I've gotten to where I really don't like the compost piles because they can't be automated. If I don't have some other way to dispose of polluted dirt, I just dump it in a storage bin surrounded by deodorizers and let it offgas into (eventually) nothing.

you still have to fill and empty deodorizers and dump the polluted dirt there. if you're automating the filling and emptying and dumping, you could use basically the same automation for loading and unloading compost heaps, leaving the remaining manual labor necessary pretty minimal.

alternately, you can feed pdirt to sage hatches or pokeshells. handling animals is more labor, though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hello Sailor posted:

Just use Bathroom Crabs. 1 (wild) pokeshell will devour all the polluted dirt and spit out sand. No, seriously, domesticated ones devour 140 kg/cycle according to the wiki.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

There is a mod that allows you to compost dirt into fertilizer. Not sure how overpowered that'd be though.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I dump most of my polluted dirt into my morb area and just let it offgas w/ the morbs for pufts to make slime. If I ever run low there's probably like 200t of dirt sitting on the floor in there by now behind a closed door. Probably not very efficient in the long run but after while it really doesn't matter.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Shadow0 posted:

I'm running out of power, but I'm not sure how to get more. I was hoping I wouldn't run into that problem again, but alas. I guess I need to start turning more water into power.

Well, I finally decided to rejig my industrial power area, removed a few power generators, and now I have a new problem: I have too much power. :confuoot:

The Engie power up is crazy powerful. Now I've got it for every power generator. But I also fixed the hydrogen vent so I'm actually getting steam power off it instead of my dumb previous setup. And I replaced all my coolant with supercoolant, which is probably saving me a lot of power. Now what to do with all this excessive extra petroleum, hydrogen, and natural gas...

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
If your metal refinery is using petroleum or crude oil, then it is perfectly safe and simpler to loop it straight through a steam chamber with no extra automation. It will stablize around 200c for iron and steel, or lower based on the metal. The only reason to do any of that temperature routing circuitry is if you are limited to using some type of water for who knows what reason.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

My volcano-powered super sieve is live and working! Generating just over 1kW +4kg/s of pure germ-free water at ~45 degrees, plus a bunch of salt/soil:

Massively overcomplicated what it needs in the end. The aquatuner isn't needed at all, and neither is the left-most water vent. It behaves so much better dropping the incoming water right by the heated end of the steam box, and the auto-sweeper only has 3 or 4 piles to pick up.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Will autosweepers fertilize plants or only pick up what they drop? I'm curious if I can make my mushroom operation completely hands-off.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Bold Robot posted:

Will autosweepers fertilize plants or only pick up what they drop? I'm curious if I can make my mushroom operation completely hands-off.

Yes they will! I have a row of oxyferns deep under my base that get autofed soil quite happily.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The one caveat is that the farm tiles need to be at a higher priority than other uses for the material that happen to be in range.

I have various daisy chains of sweepers/loaders/receptacles for my ranches and farms, and the priority order is receptacle < loader < (farm tile/coal generator/electric grill/etc.).

This causes the sweeper to pull whatever material out of the receptacle, use it for whatever purpose is required, and send the excess to the next station. You can also use chutes instead of receptacles, but it doesn't look as nice.

e: It also means you're bringing in high enough volume that your plants don't stop growing for lack of fertilization/generators run out from lack of coal as the line moves on. If your production isn't at that level yet, don't put a loader nearby.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 24, 2020

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Bold Robot posted:

The Sweepers will gladly fertilize/feed plants but they won't harvest. So you'll either have to have the plants sitting forever until they auto-harvest themselves or have dupes doing that one job at least.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Alkydere posted:

The Sweepers will gladly fertilize/feed plants but they won't harvest. So you'll either have to have the plants sitting forever until they auto-harvest themselves or have dupes doing that one job at least.

Oh that's kind of a bummer. How long does it take for a plant to drop its food? Seems like as long as I have the space to make a big farm, it might still be worth it to save the dupe labor.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Bold Robot posted:

Oh that's kind of a bummer. How long does it take for a plant to drop its food? Seems like as long as I have the space to make a big farm, it might still be worth it to save the dupe labor.

3 cycles after 100%

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Bold Robot posted:

Sounds awesome, got a picture?

I'm not the person you asked, but I redesigned my drecko breeders and I've been dying to share. :)

Here is the drecko breeder. It fits into the standard 4-tile high floor size.

Here it is in game, with shipping rails. I built 4 breeders here, and one shearing chamber.

The nonstandard shape of the water locks prevents the dreckos from jumping across and climbing on the walls or ceiling. This will hopefully save your ranchers some time while they wait for the critter to crawl to the grooming station. That's the idea, anyway. I haven't actually tested to see if it makes a significant difference. I also just like the look of all of them on the floor.

The metal tiles aren't necessary. Granite or whatever is fine. I just used metal for the decor bonus, and because I'm in the late game and I have a lot of gold.

With 4 breeders going I end up with around 150 dreckos in the upper shearing area. I think I've been running this for 700-800 cycles. I've made about 40 tons of insulation, and I've still got over 10,000 reed fiber.

I haven't tried this design with glossies yet, but I'm sure it would work fine. Glossies supposedly need 3 mealwood each, but in my experience they're fine with much less.

You can ignore the viscogel blobs at the top. I was experimenting with ways to drop live dreckos into the shearing chamber. The viscogel method works (they won't cross the viscogel), but you have to deconstruct/reconstruct the floor tile every time. Originally I had an open pneumatic door and a critter drop-off inside the chamber, but I noticed my shearing dups would cancel the job and run away if the drecko happened to crawl through the open door.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

That's awesome, I love it. It's insane how the list of projects balloons once you start to wrap your head around what you can do.

Another dumb question: does a sweeper need to be able to see both tiles of a conveyor loader, or just one? If just one, does it matter which one (the one with the output or the other one)?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Yes pretend I posted something like that but a little less polished.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I could get into starvation ranching if all the critter designs weren't so drat cute (apart from the various fish, but pacu and pufts need neither food nor care).

Also poo poo I'm going to have to re-run piping for more reed fibre given the pitiful size of my farm; I forgot it's required for insulation whereas my arbor trees are only good for an ethanol stockpile.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 24, 2020

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Everything related to ethanol, sans the polluted dirt, will make polluted water. The whole process between it and the generators kicks out a TON of CO2 which scrubs into polluted water, and the generators themselves kick out polluted water. The polluted dirt can be turned into lime via pokeshells easily enough.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

insta posted:

Everything related to ethanol, sans the polluted dirt, will make polluted water. The whole process between it and the generators kicks out a TON of CO2 which scrubs into polluted water, and the generators themselves kick out polluted water. The polluted dirt can be turned into lime via pokeshells easily enough.

Domestic trees consume more polluted water than they produce outside of CO2 scrubbers, which need clean water. Generally I have enough CO2 that I consider water and polluted water virtually the same resource.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My scrubbers are all in closed loops but now that I have an extra 1kg/s+ of clean water it's certainly do-able. I can also just re-route Pwater pipes once the ethanol stockpile is full so that the reeds get fed before the trees.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Can you detail the autosweepers ? feeding the plants and picking up ' ? ' ?

How do you shear the drecos in the non shearing areas ?

Im with everyone on insane add ons, as i started to really go down the path of automation, and my initial designs are .... interesting.
My industrial block is outside my core base, but i didnt feel like needing atmo suits so far from where I really need them, but the scalding they get using the oil refinery made me add a single suit dock just for that one guy

my kitchen feels inefficient but it was my first attempt to try and keep a sterile environment as well as have food get auto processed, and i can see im getting full up with ingredients

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Kitchen-wise I just implemented this design and it's working great so far. A small number of fridges need power but other than that it seems ideal.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Huh, that seems cool, and the powered fridges, one per food, seems cool when it's in co2 until there is room

Looks like I might be redesigning in a bit. Especially since I can addon the meat from a drowning chamber . Hmmm

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Also ever since I started adding oil in a thin layer with the turbine output on the bottom has really increased my power

Old way with 4-5 refineries all going just barely made steam coupled with a tuner

My new way has both turbines making 4-500 watts each with just two refineries and the tuner, and it's serving as a larger cooling loop then usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Bold Robot posted:

That's awesome, I love it. It's insane how the list of projects balloons once you start to wrap your head around what you can do.

Another dumb question: does a sweeper need to be able to see both tiles of a conveyor loader, or just one? If just one, does it matter which one (the one with the output or the other one)?

The sweeper only needs to see the spot on the loader that has the rail connection.