Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Just a polite reminder that once again this isnt about their freedom, its about their ability to force and coerce other people into the dangerous position of being their servants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Internet Wizard posted:

Guys don't be mean to Nancy or we'll get the centrist brigade to come back and start talking about how amazing she is and nobody else would be a better option for Speaker like last time

didn't realize you were such a tim ryan and problem solver caucus (the literal centrist brigade) fan

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

not caring here posted:

Just a polite reminder that once again this isnt about their freedom, its about their ability to force and coerce other people into the dangerous position of being their servants.

This can be applied to everything they do

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

shame on an IGA posted:

Adding to this, he's also made fixing the loving VA a major plank

quote:

Meanwhile, 40,000 veterans are homeless today, but “[a]bout 1.4 million other veterans…are considered at risk of homelessness due to poverty, lack of support networks, and dismal living conditions in overcrowded or substandard housing.” Ultimately nearly 10% of the homeless population once served in uniform before our government abandoned them.

Widespread homelessness among veterans is not only a sad stain on our country’s conscience, but also a revealing reflection of Pentagon priorities. We need to assist veterans who are already homeless, and reduce the chance that other vets lose their housing while also focusing attention and resources on mental health services to address the epidemic of suicides among veterans.

Well there's your problem. The Department of Defense/Pentagon shouldn't be all that involved with veterans--they're going to focus on Defense. We should create a separate department to handle the affairs of veterans.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

didn't realize you were such a tim ryan and problem solver caucus (the literal centrist brigade) fan

You're a fairly level headed dude but this is parody levels of reflexive "if you criticize the party you must secretly support the right - the only possible alternative to the status quo."

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

the JJ posted:

You're a fairly level headed dude but this is parody levels of reflexive "if you criticize the party you must secretly support the right - the only possible alternative to the status quo."

It's not actually, because I think you are confused and thinking he's referring to Paul Ryan. He's talking about Tim Ryan, a much more centrist conservative Democrat who challenged Pelosi for the speaker's gavel and lost.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

not caring here posted:

Yup. Another view looking down from the capitol steps: https://twitter.com/MollyBeck/status/1253759814422814721?s=20
:stare:

So many chuds are gonna get the rona here.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Flying_Crab posted:

Yup. Another view looking down from the capitol steps: https://twitter.com/MollyBeck/status/1253759814422814721?s=20

Initial protests were 20-100

After nationwide constant coverage they are much bigger :thunk:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

People who self identify at being present at those gatherings should be tossed directly in a freezer trailer if they show up at a hospital.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Handsome Ralph posted:

It's not actually, because I think you are confused and thinking he's referring to Paul Ryan. He's talking about Tim Ryan, a much more centrist conservative Democrat who challenged Pelosi for the speaker's gavel and lost.

Turns out there’s actually more options in this world other than “let Dems be bad” and “let other people be worse”

It’s easier to just shrug and go “better things aren’t possible” though

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Internet Wizard posted:

Turns out there’s actually more options in this world other than “let Dems be bad” and “let other people be worse”

Turns out that's not at all what I'm saying, but if putting words into my mouth makes you feel better, go off :shrug:

In other news, Stephen Miller continues to be a loving ghoul.
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1253756701490241536

quote:

On the call, Miller sounded stung by the criticism from the right and urged surrogates and supporters to speak up for the president.

“All around the country, Americans of every political stripe will rally behind an initiative to make sure that they, their children, their parents, their husbands, wives, sons, uncles, nephews, cousins can be the first to get a job when it opens up, to get her old job back when they rehire or to keep their job if they already have one,” he said.

“Those individuals have a right and an expectation to get their jobs back and not to be replaced by foreign workers. That’s the action the president took, it is historic. It is vital, it is necessary, it is patriotic and it deserves the full-throated support of everybody on this call.”

:fuckoff:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PeterCat posted:

Do you think the phone banking works? I'm not being snarky, my first job was doing these kind of call for pay, we campaigned for Bob Dole 1996, got to call people in New Hampshire and tell them that Pat Buchanan was too extreme on North Korea.

holy poo poo bob dole is still alive

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Navy Leaders Recommend Reinstating Roosevelt Captain Fired Over Virus Warning Navy leaders request early retirement from Trump admin

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/24/us/politics/coronavirus-navy-roosevelt-brett-crozier.html

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
If he beats COVID, this should obviously happen.

https://twitter.com/jpaceDC/status/1253767128920047616

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/24/us/politics/coronavirus-navy-roosevelt-brett-crozier.html

quote:

WASHINGTON — Capt. Brett E. Crozier should be restored to command of the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt, the Navy’s top officials recommended on Friday.

But Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper, who was briefed on the recommendations, has asked for more time to consider whether to sign off on the reinstatement of the captain of the nuclear-powered carrier.

Mr. Esper received the recommendation on Friday that Captain Crozier be reinstated from the chief of Naval Operations, Admiral Michael M. Gilday, and the acting Navy secretary, James McPherson. Defense Department officials said earlier that they expected to announce the results of the Navy’s investigation into the matter on Friday afternoon.

Mr. Esper’s decision to hold up the investigation has surprised Navy officials, who believed that the defense secretary would leave the process in the hands of the military chain of command.

-----

The captain, who friends say is feeling better after he himself contracted the coronavirus, is in isolation in the distinguished visitors quarter on a Navy base in Guam. He is awaiting another test to confirm that he no longer has the virus, his friend said.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 24, 2020

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
CNO and SECNAV requesting that Captain Crozier be reinstated as commander of the Teddy Roosevelt.

The Daily Mail posted:

Top Navy officials have called for ousted US Roosevelt Captain Crozier to be reinstated, in the latest saga for the coronavirus-stricken ship.   

The chief of Naval Operations, Admiral Michael M. Gilday, and the acting Navy secretary, James McPherson, told Defense Secretary Mark Esper to reinstate Crozier to his position Friday.

Esper has asked for more time to review the decision but is expected to announce the results of the Navy's investigation into the matter Friday afternoon. 

This comes as 840 crew members on board the Roosevelt have now been infected by coronavirus.  

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Cool that the government was ok giving a trident back to a convicted criminal but absolutely will not bring back a Captain whose only crimes were the normal ones committed by nobles.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BUG JUG posted:

Cool that the government was ok giving a trident back to a convicted criminal but absolutely will not bring back a Captain whose only crimes were the normal ones committed by nobles.

He made the president look bad, that’s treason!

...the president is a king right

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

orange juche posted:

holy poo poo bob dole is still alive

I took a picture with him at a black tie event about a year ago after one of his aides approached me and asked if I wanted to take a pic with him. I did so specifically so I could then post said picture on my social media and make the "we are merely exchanging long protein strings" joke

He seemed barely there and was wheelchair bound. His wife was still running around like it was nobodies business though.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Flying_Crab posted:

"I don't have the body for onlyfans"

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Lake of Methane posted:

"I don't have the body for onlyfans"

:lol:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Internet Wizard posted:

Except there wasn't at that particular time, which is what that whole argument a year and a half ago was about. Like, I'll agree with anyone that Pelosi has utterly failed to adequately use her power to hold the administration accountable, but I take some real personal insult to I and others being referred to as "the centrist brigade" when we were arguing against the literal centrist brigade.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
For certain parts of the left, "centrist" and "liberal" have become meaningless snarl words.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

For certain parts of the left, "centrist" and "liberal" have become meaningless snarl words.

"Liberal" is the mainstream of the democratic establishment, "centrist" refers to the "third way" types - the right wing of the democratic party.

The current overton window is skewed so far right that "liberals" would be at home with the loving torries in the UK.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
They both otherwise would be Republicans if it wasn't for abortion or the not-so thinly veiled racism

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

Nah, I read what he said. There's a nuanced way to talk about issues of practically but he's walking face into a parody of his position. "Hey, a party leader sucks" is met immediately "nu-uh, the only possible option is further to the right so suck it up." It's a bad look.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

the JJ posted:

Nah, I read what he said. There's a nuanced way to talk about issues of practically but he's walking face into a parody of his position. "Hey, a party leader sucks" is met immediately "nu-uh, the only possible option is further to the right so suck it up." It's a bad look.

gently caress off.

Ace has been making long detailed posts for weeks with a high degree of insight and you are telling him/her to be more nuanced?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

the JJ posted:

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was referring specifically to the discussion from about a year and a half back that internet wizard was referencing, which was when a lot of discussions around replacing Pelosi were going around. Several people, including myself, defended Pelosi from the standpoint that the only organized opposition at the time was coming from the right. You can attack Pelosi all you want and a lot of the time I'll even agree with you (loving christ at appointing Donna Shalala over Katie Porter to the watchdog committee), I just object strenuously to being referred to as "the centrist brigade" in reference to that particular argument.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

gently caress off.

Ace has been making long detailed posts for weeks with a high degree of insight and you are telling him/her to be more nuanced?

nah it was a lovely snipe

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

That Works posted:

Chiche report the president

Apparently the rules dont apply if it's a joke.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

PeterCat posted:

Can we just pass a law saying you can't serve in the Federal Government if you're over 62 1/2 years old?

Found the guy who’s about 59 or 60 and wants to run.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Chichevache posted:

Apparently the rules dont apply if it's a joke.

Makes your blood just boil doesn’t it

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Woofer posted:

Makes your blood just boil doesn’t it

Yes, I want the president permabanned.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Can you imagine the tantrums if he actually got banned from twitter :allears:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chichevache posted:

Yes, I want the president permabanned.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I can't, because he would be banned from twitter.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

you cant ban trump from twitter because trump is twitter

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Permaban Twitter

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Permaban Twitter

Facebook too while we're at it. Youtube can stay. Cull the commenters, tho

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
At the end of the day I just dont think people should be allowed to write things online at all. We cant be trusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Chichevache posted:

At the end of the day I just dont think people should be allowed to write things online at all. We cant be trusted.

Be the change you want to see in the world.