Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Woof Blitzer posted:

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
For language learning, I use Anki to the point that it constitutes 100% of my note-taking. Once you get to grips with it, it's so useful for learning and remembering new vocab and structures (shoutout to Audacity for removing noise from the audio files I stick to my notes)

I like to do dumb 3d models and animations and Blender is a totally free programme that at this point can do the vast majority of (and in some areas more than) the eye-wateringly expensive suites such as 3ds Max and Cinema 4D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kik4iZp5mjE

For nostalgia value:

Microsoft Dinosaurs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgOZUPUGuwY

Brøderbund's Discover Space
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvDJCaU52m8

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Let's not forget Julliard Music Adventure or Bumpitz Science Carnival :hmmyes:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mavis bacon teaches typing. :hmmyes:

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

How much of the flux Koolaid does one have to drink before they buy into it? The color pallet looks hyperfucked to anyone who doesn't already use it, so there has to be a period of "Everything I'm watching and playing has the color grading of The Big Lebowski and the Mexico scenes from Traffic, but I'm gonna power through until I force myself to like it" before the addiction sets in.

yeah i think it looks ugly as hell but i also exclusively use 6500k+ lights and have never been sure why everyone else wants their lightbulbs to make everything look piss yellow

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Mavis bacon teaches typing. :hmmyes:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I do a lot of electrical harness modeling and Siemens NX is simply the finest program I’ve used to do so, especially coming from Catia.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
sshfs is a utility that lets you treat ssh sessions as drives mounted to your filesystem and it's incredibly useful and works just about everywhere.

It works on top of FUSE, which is a userspace filesystem. Idk what the S & E stand for tho. But FUSE has this pluggable thing where you can write different handlers to create filesystems out of different things: ftp sessions, csv files, whatever. SSH turns out to be the really useful one though.

OSX:
https://github.com/osxfuse/osxfuse/wiki/SSHFS
https://osxfuse.github.io/

WIN:
i haven't installed it in like 10 years but there's some info here https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-sshfs-to-mount-remote-file-systems-over-ssh

quote:

To install SSHFS in Windows you will need to grab the latest win-sshfs package from the google code repository. A direct download link can be found below. After you have downloaded the package, double click to launch the installer. You may be prompted to download additional files, if so the installer will download the .NET Framework 4.0 and install it for you.

https://storage.googleapis.com/google-code-archive-downloads/v2/code.google.com/win-sshfs/win-sshfs-0.0.1.5-setup.exe

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
DeskPins for data entry is super nice! Does what it says on the tin, it pins selected windows so they're always on top.

https://efotinis.neocities.org/deskpins/

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

SO DEMANDING posted:

use wiztree instead its super fast. yes it's the second time i posted about itt, no i'm not the developer or paid or some dumb poo poo, it's just that windirstat old and busted and there are better things now!

my only question is, and I'm sorry if I'm real dumb and I haven't even spent like 5 mins looking into this, but if wiztree uses the MFT (as someone said it does earlier I think) to just spitup file sizes and windirstat is actually querying the drive isn't it possible that if your MFT is being spoofed or corrupt or someone is doing something to misrepresent file sizes in someway that wiztree is 'duped' into reporting the wrong info because it's not actively scanning the files and reporting?

Or am I a dumb moron?

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah Plex is incredible for letting you watch video files on your TV over your home network. No more thumb drives or laptops plugged into the HDMI jack.

I use jellyfin an open source version, but pretty much the same thing

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Why do so many people make software for free? It's cool of them.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
JPEGView somehow got caught up in the fist psx emulation debacle. Key into the MAME core.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I use lightshot for screenshots. It lets me doodle on top the screenshot too, which is a lot faster than opening up bluebeam to mark up drawings.

e: see

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 24, 2020

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Pick posted:

Philanthropy, resume building and bragging rights.

Also, the software they make is often something that they themselves want to use and would like some help maintaining and improving it. Kinda hard to motivate people to do that if you never release your source code.

olives black fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 24, 2020

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Biohazard posted:

I use lightshot for screenshots. It lets me doodle on top the screenshot too, which is a lot faster than opening up bluebeam to mark up drawings.

loving neato!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ever since being introduced to OnTopReplica in the Windows 10 thread, I find myself using it constantly. It replicates any window, puts itself on top of other windows, and you can resize it by mouse scrolling it. When there's something on another desktop or window I need to keep an eye on while doing something else, it's way easier to make a copy of the window and stick it in a corner, that rearrange a bunch of other windows to make room for it. Why yes, I have only one monitor. Examples:
  • playing an idle clicker type of game and shrinking it into a tiny window while I do something else that takes up most of the screen
  • playing a video over a fullscreen game
  • participating in a video chat for work while switching between three other virtual desktops, and having a small copy of the chat on all desktops

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

olives black posted:

Philanthropy, resume building and bragging rights.

Also, the software they make is often something that they themselves want to use and would like some help maintaining and improving it. Kinda hard to motivate people to do that if you never release your source code.

That makes sense. Thanks!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

my only question is, and I'm sorry if I'm real dumb and I haven't even spent like 5 mins looking into this, but if wiztree uses the MFT (as someone said it does earlier I think) to just spitup file sizes and windirstat is actually querying the drive isn't it possible that if your MFT is being spoofed or corrupt or someone is doing something to misrepresent file sizes in someway that wiztree is 'duped' into reporting the wrong info because it's not actively scanning the files and reporting?

Or am I a dumb moron?

if any of that is happening then you got way bigger loving problems to worry about than "is this thing really accurate?? my megabytes!!!"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Woof Blitzer posted:

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

sir, this is a GBS thread

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

sir, this is a GBS thread

I invited people from YOSPOS to come help :buddy:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Pick posted:

a ton of the tech world is made up of huge nerds who don't give a poo poo about things like social status or money. its purely an academic endeavor for them. it's roots come from when computer science was entirely in the realm of academia where everyone just openly shared what they were working on and any companies building actual products would ship their stuff with the actual source code so you could fix things yourself

it was formalized into an actual movement by the nerdiest king of the nerds being super pissed off about the spread of proprietary printer drivers. because printers are loving trash

almost four decades later the king nerd was cast out for defending jeffrey epstein. you hate to see it

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Number_6 posted:

A billion years ago (like Windows 3.1 and Windows95 days) there was a simple image editing utility called LView Pro. I can't remember where I got it, and I think I was using a free version of it. But eventually it wouldn't run on newer Windows OSs and I still miss it. I'm sure modern image editing programs can let you do so much more, but that's the problem--I haven't ever found a free basic editor that wasn't a PITA to learn and use.

I don't know if it's niche, but I'm always recommending Paint.NET as a great free image editor. It has a few short-comings, but it can do most of the things you'd want out of Photoshop, and is so much easier than something like GIMP.

Biohazard posted:

For Windows users, Windows 10 (and 8) includes a built in "Snipping Tool", that does just this. Super easy to use and is ridiculously convenient. Apparently, in newer versions of Windows 10, you can also just do Win+Shift+S to open up a different but comparable version, called "Snip & Sketch".

On linux I use scrot for screenshots.

pseudorandom fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 24, 2020

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pick posted:

Old computers were purely the realm of the wealthy or well-connected and modern day computer touchers are paid very well because they're one of the few career paths to not be automated or outsourced, it's easy to be principled and generous when you never have to worry about money.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Media Monkey is my music manager of choice. Its UI is very similar to Winamp/Foobar2000, only it can also do a bunch more stuff, as well. I use it to sync my huge totally-legally-acquired music collection to my phone's SD card wirelessly, but it can also act as a PnP server, and automatically look up and apply id3 tags

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

SO DEMANDING posted:

if any of that is happening then you got way bigger loving problems to worry about than "is this thing really accurate?? my megabytes!!!"

so yeah, then

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

PDFtk is great if you have an desk job and deal with scans and documents a lot. It merges and splits PDFs easily, and doesn't seem to increase filesize when doing it.

I'm sure Adobe or some other real PDF software can do this too, but this is free and if all you have is a PDF reader, it's nice to have.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software_movement

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Mooktastical posted:

Media Monkey is my music manager of choice. Its UI is very similar to Winamp/Foobar2000, only it can also do a bunch more stuff, as well. I use it to sync my huge totally-legally-acquired music collection to my phone's SD card wirelessly, but it can also act as a PnP server, and automatically look up and apply id3 tags

How is it compared to musicbee? I need something where I can see which files are mp3s so that I can replace them with legally purchased FLACs.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

a ton of the tech world is made up of huge nerds who don't give a poo poo about things like social status or money. its purely an academic endeavor for them. it's roots come from when computer science was entirely in the realm of academia where everyone just openly shared what they were working on and any companies building actual products would ship their stuff with the actual source code so you could fix things yourself

it was formalized into an actual movement by the nerdiest king of the nerds being super pissed off about the spread of proprietary printer drivers. because printers are loving trash

almost four decades later the king nerd was cast out for defending jeffrey epstein. you hate to see it

and for being an abusive and generally unpleasant person himself. almost all of Stallman's interviews in the last 10 years have been cringe as gently caress.

we all still owe him a huge debt on the tech side of things, though.

olives black fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 24, 2020

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

evilpicard posted:

How is it compared to musicbee? I need something where I can see which files are mp3s so that I can replace them with legally purchased FLACs.

I've never used Musicbee, but it can create auto playlists for that sort of thing

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
poke

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Biohazard posted:

I use this like 800 times a day

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Videostream

Let's you natively stream video files from your computer to Chromecast. Supports all formats and is very efficient. Amazing on my laptop when I visit my parents, I can just load up a movie straight away to their TV via Chromecast.
Great if like me you don't care for Plex and just want your video to play on the TV with minimal fuss.

Aurora Builder

DnD 5e Character Builder. Works really well, much better than any online one I've used so far. Not much else to say.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

sex excellence posted:

everything finder by voidtools - great replacement for the lovely win10 search indexing if you just need to find a specific file or folder. it can find any file, and fast.

Combining Everything with AstroGrep to search for word strings within files completely changed how I interact with my computer. Both are loving magical tools, cannot recommend them highly enough.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

German software solutions for heavy process industries.

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost
Need to scrape human-readable text out of a binary -- like, maybe you want to pull plain text out of a document saved by some ancient word processor? There's a tool for that: strings.

Teaching a class at a university that doesn't use TurnItIn? Feed every student paper to strings, pipleline the output to Google, and see where students copied their papers from.

Corrupted project files? Use strings to figure out what they are.

Looking for undocumented features in an executable? Strings again.

Strings works on Linux/*BSD and macs, and should work on Windows if you have WSL installed. There's a neat Mac tutorial here.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Another niche product I like to use when I can is an audio programming environment called Puredata. It looks like it came from an apple ii but it allows you to build whatever you want with a small library of functions that you can load up as an external to play on a microcontroller, or you can turn your programs into VSTs for music software you use. So you can build a digital guitar pedal or a softsynth without having to know too much about hardware. It's open source and free, as opposed to its $500 counterpart Max/Msp by Cycling '74. It's essentially the "MSP" part of Max/MSP and was coded by the same guy. I still use Max for most of my stuff but puredata is my go-to for making the software component to anything hardware. Also you are limited to using the max runtime or max4live in Ableton with Max/Msp, whereas Puredata will run on just about anything.

Maxis and EA made the dynamic soundtrack to the computer game "Spore'" with it, and it also works with Unity (though I never tried.)

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 25, 2020

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
PureRef

It's a simple pinboard that you can dump images onto from a folder or straight from a web browser. Super handy for modeling reference as you can fade opacity and have it float above your 3d app. Has lots of neat little features but is so minimal and fast you won't notice of you never need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Entorwellian posted:

Another niche product I like to use when I can is an audio programming environment called Puredata. It looks like it came from an apple ii but it allows you to build whatever you want with a small library of functions that you can load up as an external to play on a microcontroller, or you can turn your programs into VSTs for music software you use. So you can build a digital guitar pedal or a softsynth without having to know too much about hardware. It's open source and free, as opposed to its $500 counterpart Max/Msp by Cycling '74. It's essentially the "MSP" part of Max/MSP and was coded by the same guy. I still use Max for most of my stuff but puredata is my go-to for making the software component to anything hardware. Also you are limited to using the max runtime or max4live in Ableton with Max/Msp, whereas Puredata will run on just about anything.

Maxis and EA made the dynamic soundtrack to the computer game "Spore'" with it, and it also works with Unity (though I never tried.)

Oh this owns