Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

FMguru posted:

1) It takes a lot of effort (and some specialized book-production knowledge) to make a good index
2) The number of book sales the presence (or absence) of a good index drives is functionally zero

There's really no business justification for putting more than the bare minimum effort into making an index
Add 3) Lots of people run from searchable PDFs these days, and being able to Ctrl-F to find a term is arguably more convenient than using a standard index anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Warthur posted:

Add 3) Lots of people run from searchable PDFs these days, and being able to Ctrl-F to find a term is arguably more convenient than using a standard index anyway.

As a side note, part of the reason I find Blades in the Dark so difficult to use as a reference work is because there aren't enough distinct terms in it for me to Ctrl-F with any degree of precision.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

potatocubed posted:

As a side note, part of the reason I find Blades in the Dark so difficult to use as a reference work is because there aren't enough distinct terms in it for me to Ctrl-F with any degree of precision.
TBH the thing I find most helpful in a PDF rulebook is a clear, complete table of contents with each chapter suitably broken down into its different subheadings, and decent bookmarking from there, with each chapter and subheading clearly and distinctly describing what is found there.

As opposed to, say, some early White Wolf books of the "three broad chapters with vague names" school of table of contents construction.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
My friends just dropped this off. I will go through it later.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 24, 2020

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Three volume set, BULLSHIT?

:shrug:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Is there a goon consensus for what's the most fun Tabletop Mini Wargame? From a fluff and nostalgia perspective, I love 40k... but GW isn't the best at writing rules and the folks I've talked to have stated that it's kind of dull gameplay. Not a lot of interesting decisions game to game.

I'm aware this question is both super vague and super subjective.

I wanna make and paint models, and hopefully there's a fun game to go with it :)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is there a goon consensus

Nope.

There are a jillion minis wargames out there, and what's most fun for you is going to depend on your preferences. Are you looking for something historical or fantastical? Crunchy or simple? Inexpensive or full of jewel-like objects of wonder?

A less subjective answer is that if you have a local scene for a particular game, play that even if it's not "the best" at whatever. Otherwise pick whatever you think has the coolest models that will sustain your engagement by themselves, because you're going to be playing every couple of months at best.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is there a goon consensus for what's the most fun Tabletop Mini Wargame?
D&D 4E :getin:

Seriously though, you need to be a little more specific on what you're looking for. Do you care about setting? What scale of combat do you want, skirmish or army? How many minis are you looking to paint?

40k is actually in a solid place right now but if that's not doing it for you, Age of Sigmar has simpler, breezier rules and great models. The various GW Skirmish games (Necromunda, Underworlds, Warcry, and Adeptus Titanicus) all have their own flavor and probably some of the most interesting models GW is making currently. You also have the advantage of them being some of the most ubiquitous games and easy to find players for.

If you're not averse to historicals, the demos I've seen of Chain of Command, Sharp Practice, and Bolt Action have all seemed fun but I haven't played. A bonus to historicals though is once you have an army you can shop around rule systems until you find one you prefer.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is there a goon consensus for what's the most fun Tabletop Mini Wargame? From a fluff and nostalgia perspective, I love 40k... but GW isn't the best at writing rules and the folks I've talked to have stated that it's kind of dull gameplay. Not a lot of interesting decisions game to game.

I wanna make and paint models, and hopefully there's a fun game to go with it :)

If you want 40k with more sensible rules and model counts check out Kill Team, it's squad-level 40K and is honestly more fun than it should be.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Lemme preface this by saying I'm not getting lovely at you, I'm getting lovely at people who suck at layout -

It super doesn't! Modern desktop publishing software makes it incredibly easy to make an index and a table of contents! You set a flag on a particular term or section, which you can do through a right-click menu right there at hand, and it'll auto-populate the ToC and index for you. It'll even update your pagination if you add or remote content and it gets shuffled around, so none of that pp. XX poo poo should ever show up in your books.

Unless you are Kevin Siembieda and you are still literally gluing your layouts together, there's no excuse for a lovely index these days.

I'm 100% with you on the rants about RPG writers not understanding the basic features of their desktop publishing software, and that it's relatively simple to learn how to auto-create an index.

But I gotta disagree on making a good, useful index. That requires a fair degree of thought and understanding and some practice; what sorts of terms to flag, when and where; how to go through the index you've generated later and notice and eliminate circular references, prioritize the most important references and remove trivial ones, and (especially) spot gaps and missing terms where maybe you never flagged it in the index because of an oversight or maybe because your actual content for that term isn't appropriately labeled in the text so you never had a good place to highlight the term and add it to the index. Really good indexes have "see also"s, highlight key/most important reference points while including additional "for more info" type reference points with some sort of hierarchical presentation, never send the reader to 30 places a term shows up when there's one specific place where that term is defined, avoid repeating or trying to replace the function of the table of contents, and keep themselves reasonably short to avoid chewing up expensive pagecount.

It's also a task that should be done as late in the production as possible, to avoid building an index and then having content changes mess it up (and to incorporate content from all contributors, for collaborative books); but, that's also the moment when your project is at its most behind-schedule and you're likely at your biggest rush to finally finish the drat thing and get it out the door.

These days, most people are used to using search to find things instead of using indexes or even TOCs. I think indexes are still cool, and I use them, but they're dying out. The RPG industry is behind the times in still publishing stuff in books at all, as compared to online repositories of interlinked/associated topic-based writing, mostly because it's a lot easier to sell a book than to get people to pay for access to online docs (or just provide docs online for free). I don't exactly know how indi RPB publishing survives what I view as the inevitable complete shift to online-accessible searchable content model for all written information, but if it does, it probably won't have books with pages of indexed terms.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 24, 2020

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Leperflesh posted:

I'm 100% with you on the rants about RPG writers not understanding the basic features of their desktop publishing software, and that it's relatively simple to learn how to auto-create an index.

But I gotta disagree on making a good, useful index. That requires a fair degree of thought and understanding and some practice; what sorts of terms to flag, when and where; how to go through the index you've generated later and notice and eliminate circular references, prioritize the most important references and remove trivial ones, and (especially) spot gaps and missing terms where maybe you never flagged it in the index because of an oversight or maybe because your actual content for that term isn't appropriately labeled in the text so you never had a good place to highlight the term and add it to the index. Really good indexes have "see also"s, highlight key/most important reference points while including additional "for more info" type reference points with some sort of hierarchical presentation, never send the reader to 30 places a term shows up when there's one specific place where that term is defined, avoid repeating or trying to replace the function of the table of contents, and keep themselves reasonably short to avoid chewing up expensive pagecount.

It's also a task that should be done as late in the production as possible, to avoid building an index and then having content changes mess it up (and to incorporate content from all contributors, for collaborative books); but, that's also the moment when your project is at its most behind-schedule and you're likely at your biggest rush to finally finish the drat thing and get it out the door.

These days, most people are used to using search to find things instead of using indexes or even TOCs. I think indexes are still cool, and I use them, but they're dying out. The RPG industry is behind the times in still publishing stuff in books at all, as compared to online repositories of interlinked/associated topic-based writing, mostly because it's a lot easier to sell a book than to get people to pay for access to online docs (or just provide docs online for free). I don't exactly know how indi RPB publishing survives what I view as the inevitable complete shift to online-accessible searchable content model for all written information, but if it does, it probably won't have books with pages of indexed terms.

I agree with you on pretty much all of those points, but this is mostly an issue of function, rather than intent and future trends. If your typical small-print book publisher is a general practitioner, and you're coming at this from the viewpoint of a surgeon, RPG layout artists are Creepy Luke, who wants to take back to his alley to exchange your phlegmatic humors with antifreeze.

In this tortured analogy, indexing tools are asking Luke to wipe off the needle before he sticks it in our neck.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah basically! That's a really good way of putting it.

One more thing about indexing: no matter how much time and effort and expertise you put into it, one single customer will fail to find the specific term they wanted to find, and then declare very loudly and publicly that your index sucks, and that will become the permanent assessment of it by everyone forever, and possibly stick to your entire line of content and not just that one book, too.

Meanwhile, 100 customers successfully used your index to find something, instantly forgot about it, and never went online to complain. Guess which of the above has an impact on your sales?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is there a goon consensus for what's the most fun Tabletop Mini Wargame?
Anything by Too Fat Lardies. My favorite is Chain of Command, which is fantastic (and, relevant to our current circumstances, very well adapted to solo play).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Play Kill Team, or if you prefer tiny mecha, Adeptus Titanicus for a better 40k experience.

If you want historicals, yeah, Too Fat Lardies have good rules.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
It also kind of depends what sort of experience you're looking for. Are you wanting a skirmish type game where each model has a number of skills and options each turn? Or do you want something that's bigger units that have to coordinate? Do you want something very granular, or something a little more abstract? Do you want the feel of the wargame to be closer to actual conflict, where things like morale and communicating orders are important, or something that's more just about the actual strategy of fighting, with that stuff ignored or downplayed? Do you want a ruleset built around a setting, or something setting agnostic that you can apply to whatever models you have?

There are rules sets all along those that might be up your alley, depending.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Is there a thread to talk about listening to recordings of tabletop gameplay? Or asking for recs of such? I've been listening to Rycon Roleplays on youtube - their Z-Land series was pretty drat good (if grimdark as hell) until it shifted from zombie apocalypse genre to more mad max-esque grimdark. So I'm looking for a place where I can commiserate and/or ask for recs of similar horror/survival games to listen to.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is there a thread to talk about listening to recordings of tabletop gameplay? Or asking for recs of such? I've been listening to Rycon Roleplays on youtube - their Z-Land series was pretty drat good (if grimdark as hell) until it shifted from zombie apocalypse genre to more mad max-esque grimdark. So I'm looking for a place where I can commiserate and/or ask for recs of similar horror/survival games to listen to.
There's the AP thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743698

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Thank you.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: Blogging for The Next Project (my D&D-inspired RPG clone) continues!

The topic of today's post is the new setup for class customization.

For those who might not have been following yet, there's always been a fair bit of homage to 4th Edition in TNP (although reading through old posts, I used to refer to it as a D&D NEXT retroclone.) There were some classes from 4e that I was never sure how (or if) I'd be able to fit in to the designs, but I've figured out the last few missing pieces of the puzzle.

Today's post lays out how Archetypes and Domains are going to be implemented, but there's still lots of design work to be done on most of them; if you have any suggestions or other input on these new systems, there's still lots of time for me to take them and put them into the game. :)

As usually, I'll end by saying that all somethingawful forum goons are welcome to join the TNP Discord server, so feel free to hit me up over there as well.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

A 3e DM hosed up the rule about mixing potions and decided well after the fact that two healing potions drank 3 rounds apart had fatally poisoned me. Party members put me in a portable hole to rez me later. I used the off-time to pore over my own DMG to show him the mistake, and he decided "well okay you weren't killed, you were just knocked out, so you're still in the hole with no air but now you're awake. Go."

"Can I see a list of the other things in here with me? Oh, a mirror of life-trapping. Well I mean technically yeah it's an extradimensional container inside of another one, but the hole didn't explode when we put it in here the last four times, so I guess it's okay. I turn the mirror around and gaze intently into it."

DM: "The portable hole explodes, irrevocably destroying all of its contents. Mage make a death save, everyone else take 8d8, con saves for half."

:wtc:

Dude. If you want a player or his character out of your campaign, just say so. It's fine.

This one rules because it reads like the DM is trying to get rid of you without a confrontration but screwed everyone else over in the process because they didn't even plan it properly :bravo:

(just talk to your players jesus)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

mango sentinel posted:

My friends just dropped this off. I will go through it later.

Looks a lot more beat up than my set, also it doesn't have the woodgrain.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

I like reading rpg source books and I’m wondering which RPG has the best constructed world? I wanna read an rpg that has as little relation to earth as possible, that is the cultures aren’t just vikings with the serial numbers off or whatever, and I want the source book to be thick, with lots of details

Any recommendations?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

PawParole posted:

I like reading rpg source books and I’m wondering which RPG has the best constructed world? I wanna read an rpg that has as little relation to earth as possible, that is the cultures aren’t just vikings with the serial numbers off or whatever, and I want the source book to be thick, with lots of details

Any recommendations?

Anything Tekumel?

Glorantha will probably get a shout out too

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I would have recommended Traveller, but they have actual vikings with the serial numbers filed off.

Tekumel, Glorantha, and Spire.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Talislanta. Not based on quality necessarily, because I don't have a clue, but because they made four editions worth of books free so you can read that poo poo forever.

Edit: nah, the website's down so I don't know if you can still get the PDFs.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

mllaneza posted:

I would have recommended Traveller, but they have actual vikings with the serial numbers filed off.

Tekumel, Glorantha, and Spire.

loved traveller interstellar war, that was my second favorite after Gurps Infinite Worlds

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Talislanta. Not based on quality necessarily, because I don't have a clue, but because they made four editions worth of books free so you can read that poo poo forever.

the blurb lies, they have elves but they call it something else.

Angrymog posted:

Anything Tekumel?

Glorantha will probably get a shout out too

Will try both, thank u.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

90s Cringe Rock posted:

DriveThruRPG has some of the more important books up for free, and I'm pretty sure I have more or less the full set lying around somewhere on my laptop or one of my USB drives, so I'll try to go dig it up and upload it to MEGA or something

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

drrockso20 posted:

DriveThruRPG has some of the more important books up for free, and I'm pretty sure I have more or less the full set lying around somewhere on my laptop or one of my USB drives, so I'll try to go dig it up and upload it to MEGA or something

in fact with a little digging it turns out that while the site itself is down, one can still access the site's index and through that access pretty much all the files the site hosted;

http://peedeepages.com/talislanta/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

PawParole posted:

Any recommendations?

Blue Planet is one of my favorite worlds, but it's related to earth in that it's set on a waterworld colony planet with uplifted cetaceans. Amazingly well written game though, I scored it for free from my FLGS in ~2001 and just read the sourcebooks several times without getting to play.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

PawParole posted:

Any recommendations?

It's not quite what you're looking for but if we're taking detailed setting, Harn has to come up. It does have Vikings with the serial numbers filed off, but there's a plausible in-setting reason why they are the way they are. It's all done with care. The setting books aren't super thick but they contain varying levels of detail. The ones about a specific city ought to have enough detail for any taste.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PawParole posted:

Any recommendations?

Spire is very good and the writers for it are great at writing material that's simply entertaining to read.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PawParole posted:

Any recommendations?
Reign is pretty decent

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

China Mieville's Bas-Lag books are novels, not sourcebooks, but only by virtue of missing a few tables and mechanics and poo poo.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
From Modiphius' email newsletter

quote:

I wanted to send you all an update on Modiphius during the lockdown and have something special for our community to say thanks for all your support. I've long been passionate about John Carter of Mars since I was a kid so if you head over to our webstore and use the code BARSOOM at checkout you can score yourself a free copy of the John Carter of Mars RPG core book in PDF before the end of April. It's a really streamlined version of our 2d20 system so if you like what you see the code VIRGINIA will get you 20% off anything in the John Carter RPG & miniatures collection.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

PawParole posted:

Any recommendations?

Jorune, the system is rear end but the world concepts are fascinating.

Tales of Gargentihr, a Scottish game from the 1990s that is loving weird, and I really should do an F&F at least on the setting.

Also seconding Blue Planet. This differs from the two above because the rules do not suck.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

What was the Planescaps knock off where there’s a Sigil-esque city with portals to different planes of reality that rotate, turning the city into a constantly fluctuating madhouse of cultures and goals?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Sig

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PawParole posted:

loved traveller interstellar war, that was my second favorite after Gurps Infinite Worlds

The Terran-First Imperium Wars are approximately Fleet Book 8 and 9 for Squadron Strike: Traveller. The good news is FB1 (available in a full boxed starter set) covers the 5th Frontier War, and FB2 (in playtesting/I'm still designing ships) will cover the Solomani Rim War and assorted Aslan incursions.

Come blow up spaceships,

https://vtt.mikezekim.com/

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

My parents want to play Apocalypse World.

This is definitely some loving monkey's paw poo poo, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Xiahou Dun posted:

My parents want to play Apocalypse World.

This is definitely some loving monkey's paw poo poo, right?

You can play Apocalypse World, Burned Over, the recent hack vincent baker made that took out all the horny bits. It makes it generally a little more pg-13 but is also like, still a pretty drat good game, and honestly infinitely easier to pitch to a group.