Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jazerus posted:

legend is a little obtuse unless you dig into gamefaqs and i have seen negative opinions about it, but i'm not sure anyone at all actually hates secret or trials.

I think the general consensus of Secret of Mana is that the great sprite art and music are a plus, but the game itself is kind of a mess thanks to the SNES CD never existing. MAKE ME RUN UP THAT MOUNTAIN AGAIN, MOTHERFUCKER. I DARE YOU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I ran into a bug when you fight the golems on the bridge. They are invisible, and after killing them, nothing happens, my characters just stand there forever. I reloaded my save and it happens every time. Anyone else seen this? I can't progress.

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 24, 2020

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Manxome Foe posted:

I ran into a bug when you fight the golems on the bridge. They are invisible, and after killing them, nothing happens, my characters just stand there forever. I reloaded my save and it happens every time. Anyone else seen this? I can't progress.

Manxome Foe posted:

I'll probably just use Kevin and Durant with Charlotte as a heal bot to keep them alive while they blast through everything like a freight train.

The game's punishing you for doing Kevin dirty like that. Also, I see what you did there with Duran's name

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

The game's punishing you for doing Kevin dirty like that. Also, I see what you did there with Duran's name

I've seen one person on twitter say the bridge is bugged, but that's it. This kinda poo poo is super annoying.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well it did not happen to me. So I guess I am lucky.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I had Charlotte finish off the second one, but my main Reisz did a dramatic thrust after the fight and stole the credit for the kill.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Edit: Completely restarting the game fixed the issue. Frustration over.

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 24, 2020

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
"wow, these golems sure are hard"

*gets 3 levels up afterwards *

lol, maybe a bit underleveled?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zenithe posted:

"wow, these golems sure are hard"

*gets 3 levels up afterwards *

lol, maybe a bit underleveled?

Were you also level 7? Because yeah I got manhandled by them and shot up three levels after. :v:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Yes

Also whoever made the dwarves with southern US accents did good.

e. Gnome :allears:

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 24, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
*Boots game up for the first time*

"TWIALS OF MANA!"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The fact that the PC game's names for the buttons have nothing to do with the labels of the buttons on my controller is really annoying.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zenithe posted:

e. Gnome :allears:

I really hope all the spirits have a dorky "get John in here to record some lines" voice.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I hope they're all as flamboyant as Lumina

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

The fact that the PC game's names for the buttons have nothing to do with the labels of the buttons on my controller is really annoying.

it's revenge for all of the games that exclusively use xbox button labels which perennially confuse nintendo controller users

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I actually got it to stop doing that by repairing my 8bitdo controller in Switch mode, which is apparently a thing it has, causing the game to recognize it as a Switch controller instead of an Xbox one.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Although... now the game seems to be recognizing the shortcut inputs as belonging to the wrong buttons, even though everything else seems to work correctly?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Omg, just realized that goblins don't have yellow/pink faces with pointy ears. They're wearing skinned rabites as masks...

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Indecision strikes! Should I go to the desert or the snowfield first?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Snowfield because I like the music.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Although... now the game seems to be recognizing the shortcut inputs as belonging to the wrong buttons, even though everything else seems to work correctly?

Hm, it looks like the controller is actually working properly, the game just doesn't move the buttons around the shortcut wheel if you use a controller of a different type, so they aren't were they "should" be.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

niccolo looks loving ridiculous.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I swear that bastard Bubsy came in to play as Niccolo this time around

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

I think the general consensus of Secret of Mana is that the great sprite art and music are a plus, but the game itself is kind of a mess thanks to the SNES CD never existing. MAKE ME RUN UP THAT MOUNTAIN AGAIN, MOTHERFUCKER. I DARE YOU.
I don’t know if Secret would be as well-regarded if not for the multiplayer. It’s real fun at first hitting baddies with basic weapons with your friends, and this predates Diablo 1 so you don’t have a multiplayer experience like that anywhere else. But once you start using magic seriously, the game kinda grinds to a halt as one or two people keeps opening menus to spam spells while the person stuck as the boy just gets sad.

It’s still a wonderful game with excellent atmosphere and scope, but you can tell they were still figuring out how to blend action and jrpg elements.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

So the bees with spears were sexy bee animes the whole time

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

I don’t know if Secret would be as well-regarded if not for the multiplayer. It’s real fun at first hitting baddies with basic weapons with your friends, and this predates Diablo 1 so you don’t have a multiplayer experience like that anywhere else. But once you start using magic seriously, the game kinda grinds to a halt as one or two people keeps opening menus to spam spells while the person stuck as the boy just gets sad.

It’s still a wonderful game with excellent atmosphere and scope, but you can tell they were still figuring out how to blend action and jrpg elements.

Yeah, SoM has not aged well gameplay-wise. The graphics and soundtrack are ageless, but the whole "wait a couple seconds before attacking again or you do 1 damage" thing is not great. And although, I always liked the charging aspect, it's supposedly a hugely inefficient way to play, and the grinding aspect to level up everything is also ehhh. I honestly don't know if I can get myself to replay it in the collection.

ToM, while mechanically wonky at times, has aged way better in every aspect.

You know what would be a great remake? Even though it's not Square (which I only just recently learned): Terranigma

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Is there any reason to get the PS4 version over PC? I can get the game slightly cheaper on Steam.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
So lil'cactus gives the ability to know how many chests are left in a map. That's horrible (especially as there is almost never anything good in a chest).

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Arkeus posted:

So lil'cactus gives the ability to know how many chests are left in a map. That's horrible (especially as there is almost never anything good in a chest).

eh, i've gotten weapon and armor upgrades in chests in this one.

i completely forgot about the tomato men. yikes.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 25, 2020

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lmao djinn sylphid sounds like terrence and phillip

I'M NOT YOUR ELEMENTAL BUDDYYYYYY

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The ability to turn on permanent sprint out of combat in the options is a nice QOL touch.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also jesus CRHIST zhenova :stare:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
loving Goremand asks 'is this the face of a liar?' you're a goddamn skull monster in a jester suit, that is ABSOLUTELY the face of a liar.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Okay where is the switch I need to hit in Ch 4 Nevarl Fortress? You'd think the bad guy would welcome me through the door because it's clearly a trap.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Zenithe posted:

So the bees with spears were sexy bee animes the whole time

yep, that isnt new either. They were oddly hot back then <_<
SD3 was a pretty horny game design wise.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

A couple of mechanics things I haven't caught on my own:
--Some skills reference power attacks. Is that the class strike (what it's called in the xp bonus if you kill with it)? Any strong attack? Charged strong attacks?
--Is there any purpose to points in a stat other than the bonuses? Is 5 points in strength different from 4. or more than 6 in a stat before class change?

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 25, 2020

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Strongly recommend class changing before finding Sylphid. Took a really long time against the boss and my party members got annihilated in the first few seconds.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bruceski posted:

A couple of mechanics things I haven't caught on my own:
--Some skills reference power attacks. Is that the class strike (what it's called in the xp bonus if you kill with it)? Any strong attack? Charged strong attacks?
--Is there any purpose to points in a stat other than the bonuses? Is 5 points in strength different from 4. or more than 6 in a stat before class change?

Power attacks just means any strong attack. Like the passive that gives 1 MP for a power attack, you don't have to charge up or anything, just whack em.

As far as I'm aware, points in a stat do nothing beyond the skills they grant.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Training points aren't stat points, they only increase stats when you put enough points in to get the '+5 Strength' or whatever bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That's what I thought for training points, thanks for confirming.

And good to know for power attacks, makes that 6str pretty dang useful for Angela. I have no clue how to ficus her since she wants everything for elemental targeting.