Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Uptime Sinclair posted:

atheism is a lie but at least it’s a simpler lie than pretty much all other alternatives

expand plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

the thing with the Falun Gong is you have to be able to put on your Soviet hat to be able to interpret them aka using a deeper level of political inspection than most Americans are familiar with

You have to be able to tease apart the fundamentalist new age religion aspect, the anticommunist aspect, the reasons the CCP might not like them very much because they are a fundamentalist new age religion, the reasons the CCP might not like them because they're an anticommunist group, and the reasons the CCP might not like them very much because of just the nature of the CCP and a marxist-leninist-maoist organization in general

I actually would be v.interest in this?

:shrug:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

the thing with the Falun Gong is you have to be able to put on your Soviet hat to be able to interpret them aka using a deeper level of political inspection than most Americans are familiar with

You have to be able to tease apart the fundamentalist new age religion aspect, the anticommunist aspect, the reasons the CCP might not like them very much because they are a fundamentalist new age religion, the reasons the CCP might not like them because they're an anticommunist group, and the reasons the CCP might not like them very much because of just the nature of the CCP and a marxist-leninist-maoist organization in general

i understand the CCP is mad with them but I don't really care. There's lots of fundamentalist religious weirdos on earth, and I honestly don't care about them until they're actively loving with people scientology/prosperity gospel style, which falun gong does not seem to be doing.

obviously their newspaper is hosed up and not really a legitimate news source, I'm just sayin that they seem relatively benign and aren't some weird hosed up cult.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

expand plz

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

i understand the CCP is mad with them but I don't really care. There's lots of fundamentalist religious weirdos on earth, and I honestly don't care about them until they're actively loving with people scientology/prosperity gospel style, which falun gong does not seem to be doing.

obviously their newspaper is hosed up and not really a legitimate news source, I'm just sayin that they seem relatively benign and aren't some weird hosed up cult.

well yes, because most people raised in a liberal society ostensively have a live and let live attitude towards religions (at least compared to the historical and other geopolitical areas)

which is perfectly good and fine IMO as well

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

1500NZD is like 900usd

that being said i have no idea how much those guitars normally go for

also i would imagine being a tiny island nation makes everything pretty expensive

for whatever reason stuff made in europe, from coffee machines to clothes washers, are cheaper in NZ than in the US

maybe it's a tariff thing idk

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

rotor posted:

I mean, everything they do is obscured propaganda which makes me intrinsically not trust them. For example Shen Yun's description of themselves is:

quote:

Shen Yun Performing Arts is the world’s premier classical Chinese dance and music company. Shen Yun was established in New York in 2006 by elite Chinese artists. They came together with a shared vision and passion—to revive the lost world of traditional Chinese culture and share it with everyone."

but if you go see it there are several 20 minute dance skits of communists and atheists murdering these nice guys and gals who are just dancing and being happy in yellow shirts.

They also repeatedly say it has heritage dating back thousands of years and then sort of gloss over that Falun Gong started in 1992. I'm not okay with them being persecuted but they are a cult and cults are dangerous and people should probably know that they are a cult instead of thinking that they are some obscure ethnic group like the Uighurs.

Stereotype fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 24, 2020

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

I actually would be v.interest in this?

:shrug:

religiously, the Falun Gong come off very much as one of those new-old new age religions, laying claims to real and perhaps more apocryphal traditions and history

so yeah they're like some buddhist pacifists that like their meditation and their tai chi or whatever (which probably helps a lot in disarming any apprehension a western audience would have toward them as well)

but they've also show some strong traditionalist/conservative streaks -- anti-athiesm, anti-secularism, anti-evolution, anti-lgbtq+, anti-miscegenation, obviously anti-communist, etc -- and this stuff has even popped up in Shen Yun shows to the surprise of audiences

if your a less liberal or perhaps a movement that considers yourself emancipatory, you might label such a group as a hate group though

the anticommunist opposition is pretty self-explanatory

as a non-liberal democatric-centralism-oriented MLM establishment, you wouldn't like a group like the Falun Gong because they're another possible power center that could be disruptive towards your goals

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i love the "FIVE THOUSAND YEARS OF CULTURE! WE INVENTED EVERYTHING, THEN LOST IT" poo poo so i intrinsically giggle at falun gong/shen yun

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah the Falun Gong also have some very strong cult vibes and soft-power apparatus vibes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Stereotype posted:

I mean, everything they do is obscured propaganda which makes me intrinsically not trust them.

exactly where i was. I'm like "this is a bunch of poo poo, these people have got to be lunatics" and no not really just sort of some religious weirdos that got persecuted by the CCP.

like yeah they're not great but poo poo we tolerate baptists so

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
and as far as the CCP anti Falun Gong propaganda claims, sure they're Not Wrong, but then again that's just what such political bodies are all about

its like the classic election fraud/tampering trope; it might be completely true that a single party entity like the Soviet Union, or even more relevantly today, a post-Soviet state would not put out honest election results, but at the same time its possible that the winning person was legitimately elected, its just that the results weren't compelling enough for the image the party wants to project

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rotor posted:

speak for yourself

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

rotor posted:

exactly where i was. I'm like "this is a bunch of poo poo, these people have got to be lunatics" and no not really just sort of some religious weirdos that got persecuted by the CCP.

They're basically just Chinese Mormons in a lot of ways

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in exchange for agreeing not to march in the sf Chinese New Year parade [there was a lawsuit] falun dafa gets to do private parades downtown multiple times a year and the biggest float features people dressed as ccp doctors pretending to do illegal organ harvesting on innocent members including lots of fake blood

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

in exchange for agreeing not to march in the sf Chinese New Year parade [there was a lawsuit] falun dafa gets to do private parades downtown multiple times a year and the biggest float features people dressed as ccp doctors pretending to do illegal organ harvesting on innocent members including lots of fake blood

and you tell me this AFTER there's a travel ban

god drat you

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I can’t find a picture of the float because they have insanely good seo so it’s all nice propaganda pictures

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Falun Gong as a Chinese LDS is actually a half decent analogy yeah

Especially like 19th century or something

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So what's with the Boxers, also the Taipings?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

i love the "FIVE THOUSAND YEARS OF CULTURE! WE INVENTED EVERYTHING, THEN LOST IT" poo poo so i intrinsically giggle at falun gong/shen yun

pfft 5

please respect 14 thousand years of american culture we invented tobacco and peppers

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

how the hell does every music store look the same inside?

Check out this one, trying to add a cafe now, have a drink, listen to some live music, buy a $8,000 guitar.

https://www.bluebusmusic.com/pages/store-photos

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

qirex posted:

this sounds pretty rad

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jonny 290 posted:

apparently the "five thousand years of culture" in china includes all the mythology. like equivalent to a european person saying they have 5000 years of culture dating back to when prometheus brought fire down from mount olympus.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

apparently the "five thousand years of culture" in china includes all the mythology. like equivalent to a european person saying they have 5000 years of culture dating back to when prometheus brought fire down from mount olympus.

that was only 5000 years ago?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Falun Gong is also young earth creationist !

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

fart simpson posted:

that was only 5000 years ago?

earth is only 6000 years old dummy

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rotor posted:

attempting to cause a revolution in a country of 1.6bwould be bad for a lot of people so

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

attempting to cause a revolution in a country of 1.6bwould be bad for a lot of people so

wow someone should have told mao about this

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

rotor posted:

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

in before mao was good i guess

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rotor posted:

China had a population of 300mil in 1939 lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

China had a population of 300mil in 1939 lol

oh ok

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

theadder posted:

he showed those loving birds what was what

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

idk guys i've read a bunch of these and i really don't get what was so problematic about it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i feel like that joke might be old enough to be new to a lot of people

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

theadder posted:

You know drat well if fismech were still here the next post would be "well actually" followed by fifty pages of additional posts by the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

reckon it's a good thing he aint here then.

[hitches up overalls, spits]