Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Make a fake Facebook account. Even if you have a real one.

Yeah this is just what i did when I decided i wanted to try venues and it required a FB account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Walks posted:

So I guess the new update for BoxVR broke the game for a lot of people. Myself included.

Hope they get that fixed soon. Was a bummer not getting my cardio in today.

Soundbox instead. :v:

Realchat, ugh, that sucks. Nothing worse than an "update" that breaks things.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 24, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I present you a... Mirror's Edge clone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV0VyrBS4Iw

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Man, you weren't kidding about a clone.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is that so bad, though? It's not like I can play Mirror's Edge in full VR, right?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Is that so bad, though? It's not like I can play Mirror's Edge in full VR, right?

I wasn't judging the quality. It's just I was surprised of how... clear is their inspiration.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also not like EA are doing any better with the concept right now.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bad Munki posted:

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind, I was just surprised how blatant it was.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I mean yeah, from a creative standpoint, it’s clearly just someone saying “oh man I wanna play Mirror’s Edge in VR”

But from a consumer standpoint, oh man I wanna play Mirror’s Edge in VR

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Is there a way to get that default avatar / tron dude in Beat Saber using CameraPlus back? Looking for something just normal and all of the avatar sites are full of creepy anime poo poo :whitewater:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

SixPabst posted:

Is there a way to get that default avatar / tron dude in Beat Saber using CameraPlus back? Looking for something just normal and all of the avatar sites are full of creepy anime poo poo :whitewater:

If you look hard enough, you can get a Solid Snake avatar. That's the best I can offer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How well is his rear end modeled? This is important.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It's the MGS2 or the Brawl model I think, therefore, it's from the Good rear end Era.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

Huh?

I have friends on my oculus account without facebook? Am I missing something? Did I get grandfathered?

Gonna have to try and add someone today. >_>

Clearly im an outlier as i have a Rift S, a couple of dozen VR-specific games and am yet to be struck by any required link to FB or request for identifiable information

Having said that my entire collection exists in the Steam environment, have seen no need to buy anything from the Oculus store

:shrug:

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I don’t know how many of you play H3VR, but does anyone else have difficulty making out the front sights due to blurring? I’m not sure if it’s a problem with my fit but I noticed that in darker rooms I just cannot make out the front sights on rifles and other two handed weapons.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Just noticed another duo deal today for Quest.
Superhot VR and Space Pirate Trainer. There's also a slight discount on each if you buy them soley.

I'm tempted as Superhot is incredible, but I've been holding off since I already own it on Rift. Have yet to play space pirate trainer.

:edit: only about a $8 au difference in cost. Pretty lame sale actually.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 26, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There isn't a discount on the games individually, Superhot is just the daily deal today. Space Pirate Trainer will probably be the deal tomorrow, then the games in the other duo pack which is Red Matter and Waltz of the Wizard.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ROFLBOT posted:

Is there something I’m missing with the whole Quest/Rift S & Facebook paranoia thing?

You don’t have to put any personally identifiable information or even a Facebook account in to use these things, so what’s the big deal?

I generated an entirely new gmail account to register my oculus stuff

When they finally merge the facebook and oculus universes, I will probably register a facebook account under that fictitious email account

Saying this as a person who generally thinks privacy buffs are a little too :tinfoil:

Steam is/was the first/last gaming/social media account I intend on creating/using

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oculus should start thinking in developing new features for Oculus TV, like subtitles or ability to change the camear by grabbing with the hand, like in Youtube VR. It does well the basics, but it's time to aim higher.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Looking forward to experiencing extreme vertigo in this.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Stormland 'thing' was that it was going to be a Live game, right? But then Sony bought Insomniac and the game had 0 updates since past December. They should lower the price then. :/

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Gave Supernatural a try this morning- I don't know if the workout of the day was a pros-only level thing or not (the setup mentioned a pros-only and beginners-only workout, but they were both listed in the main menu, so I thought this, being neither, was an unmentioned "in-between"), but that was some Expert-level 360 Beat Saber With Squats and Lunges on No-Fail - I was definitely sweating and cursing by the end of the 19 minutes. I noticed at the end that my controller batteries were low, so maybe that explained some of the misses, but it worked me to the point of having to stop and catch my breath during the last song a few times.

My partner's big complaint with stuff like Beat Saber and SynthRiders has been having to learn how to game and have to work out at the same time, whereas with BoxVR, "it's boxing, I know how to do that." I feel like the tutorial does a better job of walking people through how to do it than Beat Saber, for example, but it's still that same gameplay, and I'm not sure it's going to transfer over as well for people like that. Daily workouts are good (BoxVR, for example, gets pretty repetitive). $20/mo, though, woof.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Stormland 'thing' was that it was going to be a Live game, right? But then Sony bought Insomniac and the game had 0 updates since past December. They should lower the price then. :/

Yeah, the plan was for it to be a live-service game with an evolving world for new challenges. No prizes for guessing Sony buying Insomniac probably cut the knees out from under that, considering they could be making live-service VR games for their platform instead.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Really late with this but man, this person gave out enough info in their conversations to easily identify them at Valve. Kinda weird that they were very secretive as to their exact identity but at the same time was mentioning specific teams they were on and specific technologies they developed.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, the plan was for it to be a live-service game with an evolving world for new challenges. No prizes for guessing Sony buying Insomniac probably cut the knees out from under that, considering they could be making live-service VR games for their platform instead.

The sad thing is i wouldn't be surprised to see them never do another VR project. I mean sony bought them for the spiderman game, ratchet and clank and all their long history with sony, not because of their VR work

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

The sad thing is i wouldn't be surprised to see them never do another VR project. I mean sony bought them for the spiderman game, ratchet and clank and all their long history with sony, not because of their VR work

Sony very much wants PSVR to be A Thing, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them pushing a newly acquired studio with two VR games under their belt to make something for PSVR2.

I'm hoping for a VR Ratchet and Clank game, personally.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not precisely true, I think that was the hope people had for it, but they did deliver on the specific aspects they promised; the world is semi-procedural and changes the layout every week, and all the missions have a bunch of different parameters and stuff that get changed up. It's mostly window dressing in its current implementation but I think it's a fantastic foundation that yeah unfortunately they're not going to do anything more with now.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gameplay trailer now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9ToUaop_GM

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is there any indication of when a next gen Quest would be coming? Would it be bad to buy one now?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Is there any indication of when a next gen Quest would be coming? Would it be bad to buy one now?

At some point there will be a Quest S or Quest Pro

Qualcomm is manufacturing a soc now with VR support etc

I would expect it next spring (2021) at the earliest. I don't think a full next gen Quest 2 will be out until at least 2022

No rumblings in the media about what the next step is though

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whatever the plan WAS for the Quest++ is probably pushed back now given the Covid. The OG will probably stick around for a while.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hadlock posted:

At some point there will be a Quest S or Quest Pro

Qualcomm is manufacturing a soc now with VR support etc

I would expect it next spring (2021) at the earliest. I don't think a full next gen Quest 2 will be out until at least 2022

No rumblings in the media about what the next step is though

Supposedly the latest Quest update has drivers for a new version of the Touch controllers, which I'd assume would go with a new version of the Quest. It probably isn't going to be before the Christmas period though.
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-jedi-controller-driver-found/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It all depends if they are going to do an improved version, a Quest S / 2.0, or they are going to do a proper Quest 2. If the former, expect it this year, if the latter, it could be Christmas 2021.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'd expect a price drop or comfort/strap refresh on the Quest before a Quest 2, tbh

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Linus living the VR dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2wAsxbLyMM

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay, that sounds far enough out that I'm okay with it. In the end it's ~half the price of a cellphone, so a year is fine with me.

Thanks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Lemming posted:

I'd expect a price drop or comfort/strap refresh on the Quest before a Quest 2, tbh

It's also probably not going to be a major change in power given even by next year, at least not enough to break compatibility. Maybe a better screen to make the Link experience closer to the full Rift.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Alien Isolation is only $2 right now on Steam fyi

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

jubjub64 posted:

Alien Isolation is only $2 right now on Steam fyi

Steam page doesn't list VR support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.
I just finished Time Stall on Quest.

Every level is a Rube-Goldberg-esque disaster that you have to fix within 2 minute window of frozen time, like the Time in a Bottle scene in Days of Future Past, or Fry in the 300 Big Boys episode of Futurama (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjs2vPR19mQ)

I haven't seen it get any love in the thread, but I thought it was great! Super short, though; definitely not the best bang for your buck at full price. Can anyone recommend a puzzle game on Quest that's similar?