Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

luxury handset posted:

yeah, mars declares independence would be an incredible next expansion but i kind of feel like they're done with significant expansions. haemimont signed a deal with frontier (the elite: dangerous and jurassic world studio) to publish a new game, and haemimont isn't big enough of a studio to develop two AA sized games at once

If you need this, assume the canon is that terraforming stalled out once the surface was mostly habitable and workers could be cheaply exploited, and then The Red Faction franchise picks up where/some time after Surviving Mars leaves off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
This is quite cheap on paradox store at the moment, how good is the game?

It looks like the kinda of stuff I enjoy but Im kinda burned on building/management games that looks awesome but then get boring after 2 hours

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Elias_Maluco posted:

It looks like the kinda of stuff I enjoy but Im kinda burned on building/management games that looks awesome but then get boring after 2 hours
As someone with the same general problem with this kind of game I will heartily recommend the first colony edition at its current 22 euro sale price. I never played the base game on its own though.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Splicer posted:

As someone with the same general problem with this kind of game I will heartily recommend the first colony edition at its current 22 euro sale price. I never played the base game on its own though.

Humm first colony is almost twice the price

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Elias_Maluco posted:

do you like management games that are more involved and logistically fiddly, or do you like games that are more like bonsai garden relaxing sandboxes? surviving mars is way towards the low end of the complexity spectrum, so if you want to move lots of stuff around and unlock complex build chains then pass on this one. but if you're looking for a game with cool atmosphere, music, and not too much challenge, you can easily squeeze enough hours out of this to justify the price

have you played tropico 3 and 4? this is the same developer and it shows. good music, good atmosphere, good visuals, but definitely not as meaty of a management sim as something like anno or any of the recent automation-based games like ONI or factorio. surviving mars is probably half as complex as cities skylines, which is itself not a very complex game

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I would disagree with that last part, I'd put it on par with Cities Skylines or slightly higher. Not that that's especially high to begin with.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

luxury handset posted:

do you like management games that are more involved and logistically fiddly, or do you like games that are more like bonsai garden relaxing sandboxes? surviving mars is way towards the low end of the complexity spectrum, so if you want to move lots of stuff around and unlock complex build chains then pass on this one. but if you're looking for a game with cool atmosphere, music, and not too much challenge, you can easily squeeze enough hours out of this to justify the price

have you played tropico 3 and 4? this is the same developer and it shows. good music, good atmosphere, good visuals, but definitely not as meaty of a management sim as something like anno or any of the recent automation-based games like ONI or factorio. surviving mars is probably half as complex as cities skylines, which is itself not a very complex game

I dunno, In guess Im more of the former. Sandbox games bore me fast unless there's a lot of interesting things to do

Never played any Tropico

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I’ll chime in to say that the last sim game I really got into was RollerCoaster Tycoon like a million years ago, but I also picked this game up on sale and had fun with it. I agree with the poster who said it has a chill atmosphere. The soundtrack on Spotify was legit my most listened to album of 2019; I really dig it. Of course you don’t need to buy the game to listen to the soundtrack, but I probably wouldn’t have loved the OST as much if I hadn’t played the game along with it first.

Overall, I’d say I recommend it, especially if the price seems cheap to you.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

metasynthetic posted:

I would disagree with that last part, I'd put it on par with Cities Skylines or slightly higher. Not that that's especially high to begin with.

my thinking here is that the only really complex part of skylines is the underlying traffic simulation along a network of modal routes. that doesn't exist in surviving mars, in that trip generation mostly sorts itself out and the only real bottleneck is throwing more drones/shuttles at the problem and maybe moving your stockpiles around

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dunno, In guess Im more of the former. Sandbox games bore me fast unless there's a lot of interesting things to do

Never played any Tropico

this probably isn't a game you would enjoy. i like this game a lot and it is definitely a good game, but in terms of 'interesting things' you can terraform mars which is fun once maybe. i'd almost say this is the kind of game you click around in while listening to podcasts but that would be criminal as the music is so good

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 20, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Elias_Maluco posted:

If you want more recommendations in this vein come visit us in the Management games Megathread. Prison Architect is also on sale, that might be more your thing.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mayveena posted:

If you want more recommendations in this vein come visit us in the Management games Megathread. Prison Architect is also on sale, that might be more your thing.

Following it, thank you

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I just started playing this over the past few days, after picking it up on sale last year. I've been having lots of fun, but for sure this isn't anywhere near as complex as, say, Paradox' grand strategy line.

It's not super hard, but definitely engaging.

Also lol -- so my first playthrough is going great, except I rolled Wildfire as my mystery. Reading around I found some thread from a person who took a "stress break" from the game after trying to deal with that. But ... it's been at least 10 sols that I've had infected colonists, and none of them have even dropped below 60 health. I have a feeling that with the right health services, they could live a full and normal lifespan with the virus. And hey, if they drop off a little sooner, it's less olds to take care of.

It'll be a shame when Earth goes extinct, though.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I just started playing this over the past few days, after picking it up on sale last year. I've been having lots of fun, but for sure this isn't anywhere near as complex as, say, Paradox' grand strategy line.

It's not super hard, but definitely engaging.

Also lol -- so my first playthrough is going great, except I rolled Wildfire as my mystery. Reading around I found some thread from a person who took a "stress break" from the game after trying to deal with that. But ... it's been at least 10 sols that I've had infected colonists, and none of them have even dropped below 60 health. I have a feeling that with the right health services, they could live a full and normal lifespan with the virus. And hey, if they drop off a little sooner, it's less olds to take care of.

It'll be a shame when Earth goes extinct, though.

Wildfire left unaddressed will eventually create a hard failure state; the contagion and progression rates increase with further events.

I only got there because my like third or fourth embark rolled it and I hadn’t expanded nearly fast enough to be able to affordable pivot hard into research. Now I’m always on the lookout for a good Research Dome location and try to have that built by my third or fourth dome, even if it is across the map and I don’t have shuttles yet. I can run two isolated communities for awhile; spinning up the research labs in the new settlement will allow me to connect them much more rapidly anyway.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

LonsomeSon posted:

Wildfire left unaddressed will eventually create a hard failure state; the contagion and progression rates increase with further events.

I only got there because my like third or fourth embark rolled it and I hadn’t expanded nearly fast enough to be able to affordable pivot hard into research. Now I’m always on the lookout for a good Research Dome location and try to have that built by my third or fourth dome, even if it is across the map and I don’t have shuttles yet. I can run two isolated communities for awhile; spinning up the research labs in the new settlement will allow me to connect them much more rapidly anyway.

Oh yeah fortunately I have a pretty good set of domes with research bonuses. I just haven't got been given the cure technology to research yet...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Dome Streamlining and Neo-Concrete are additive, not multiplicative. 0 concrete domes is a thing and a half I tell you what.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I just bought this game, and didn't like the existing hammer and sickle, so I made my own.

Is it just me or are the default rocket payloads kinda poo poo?

Is there any reason not to go Japan for the sweet flying drones?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The payloads vary depending on faction but they generally aren't too extreme one way or another since the early needs are pretty basic. You can poke away at them to adjust however you want.

And if that's your thing, then yeah no reason not to go with Japan, but remember they have a very slow applicant growth for early labor importing. Some other greats in my opinion are:
-India (convert wasterock into metal)
-Russia (early conversion of wasterock into concrete, just takes fuel but you don't have to research it. Also a Unique unit to mine distant nodes, but rockets take forever)
-Brazil (convert wasterock to rare metals/cash and break the game over your knee)
-Blue Sun (unique transport unit that harvests concrete, not requiring power or maintenance or setting up any infrastructure to harvest)
-China (unique drone commander unit that acts as a maintenance free solar power array)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Japan is actually a hard start; flying drones sounds cool until experience teaches you that their main benefit is not needing to remember to leave paths for your drones to maneuver around the base. Money from scanning sectors eventually dries up, and the smaller colonist selection pool bites way harder than you think it does because that's less chances to get good colonists with the right profession.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

That being said, Japan's automated metal miner is definitely nice. But yeah, Japan is definitely a start that's surprisingly tough.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

The end boss of this game is exponential population growth, so while the problems with the initial build-out are present, homegrown University grads ought always to be your killer app, and two Earthborn with Flaws and no skills can still produce a Martianborn future Engineer.

Meanwhile, the drones only stop flying in dust storms, and I am addicted to Inventor.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LonsomeSon posted:

Meanwhile, the drones only stop flying in dust storms, and I am addicted to Inventor.

People keep mentioning that there are perks other than Inventor, but I have yet to find any evidence of their existence.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
City Mayor is also pretty good, but yea inventor is great.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's me, I'm the one who couldn't work out why he didn't have enough money to launch the rocket from Earth because he was clicking BUY ROCKET instead of LAUNCH

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

People keep mentioning that there are perks other than Inventor, but I have yet to find any evidence of their existence.

Japan/Inventor/Artifical Muscles/Advanced Drone Drive, for when you have to have the final stage of your Mohole RIGHT NOW

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Any advice on how to deal with the population boom? Around 300 or so birth rate seems to just explode and I don't have enough space or jobs that need doing.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Any advice on how to deal with the population boom? Around 300 or so birth rate seems to just explode and I don't have enough space or jobs that need doing.

You can and should forbid new births in your domes if you don't have the space for them. Also if you have low morals and are at the point where you don't need to bring in Earthborn any more, consider a 'retirement' dome for your seniors in which the oxygen supply gets mysteriously turned off.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

By the time I got to the "martian supermen are our superiors" stage I had breeding turned off in all but a few domes to maintain the population level, and threw up giant domes for the useless extra population to chill in.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Bug Squash posted:

By the time I got to the "martian supermen are our superiors" stage I had breeding turned off in all but a few domes to maintain the population level, and threw up giant domes for the useless extra population to chill in.

This point in the game is when I would really really like a copy/paste tool for domes with all attendant buildings inside and set to the same settings. At that point you've often got a dome setup that works for your peculiar set of breakthroughs/traits/country, and it's just tedious busywork to lay out a half dozen domes to keep expanding.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I feel like the vanilla Japanese sponsor is kinda lame. "Drones fly instead of roll" doesn't exactly scream "Japan!" to me.

So I'm making a mod that changes the sponsor. So far:
Wasp drones removed*
Start with Service Bots researched (vending machines!)
Colonists like gardens (they've all got the Hippie trait)
-2 passengers per rocket (capacity 10)
+10 minimum Comfort for birth (reluctance to have kids)

* I've installed another mod that makes them an option unlocked by Martian Aerodynamics

Thoughts?

Edit: I can't figure out how to disable the automated metal extractor but it kinda fits the automation theme I'm going for, and I'm leaving the weight reduction for rovers because they're kei trucks and you'll never convince me otherwise :colbert:

Edit 2: should I also give them Stem Reconstruction for longer life expectancy and find a way to mark it as incompatible with the Doctor commander?

GotLag fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 9, 2020

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Terraforming Initiative is also a bit tricky as a start, but, like Terraforming itself, it pays off big-time the further into the game you go. Forestry stations not needing power or maintenance is a big plus for getting a jump on a green planet, and all Terraforming techs cost double for everyone else.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I do love that I use moisture vaperators to pull water from the air, stick it in a lake and this lake evaporates back into the air. Only somehow this increases the amount of water in the system.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I do love that I use moisture vaperators to pull water from the air, stick it in a lake and this lake evaporates back into the air. Only somehow this increases the amount of water in the system.
There's a breakthrough that takes out the middle man. The lakes themselves condense water and then spit it back up but more

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

By this point you should be spamming new domes super fast. You need a dome that's just for educating kids, maybe a few domes thats just universities and elementarly schools. Then you gotta spam some mining domes and science domes like mad.

To get to this point, you want to have infrastructure set up to have a flying drone fleet, basically an airport for almost every dome. A clearing drone rover crew set up, to level ground or make ramps. A few drone rover command stations that can set up a new area. A fleet of drone transport trucks to haul poo poo everywhere.

Build stockpiles where you are planning build the dome, flying drones will start equalizing your stockpiles and they will bring materials there. Start building a dome, drone control station, airport, and support infrastructure with the drone rover command. Then after its all set up you can drive the drone rover command away and its fine.

Another tip is to practice making all your domes self sufficient with power and water. Trying to connect all your domes to some super infrastructure across the planet takes way too much effort. Food can be flown in or transported over by trucks on routes.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 10, 2020

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Splicer posted:

There's a breakthrough that takes out the middle man. The lakes themselves condense water and then spit it back up but more

Fortunately in my latest game I did get this breakthrough early, as well as "fewer factory workers" and "rapid sleep" so everyone can work night shifts because now we only need 1 hour of sleep a day. Nice.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Speedball posted:

Fortunately in my latest game I did get this breakthrough early, as well as "fewer factory workers" and "rapid sleep" so everyone can work night shifts because now we only need 1 hour of sleep a day. Nice.
My thread killing post from April was also a hilarious combo.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Note to self: think things through before modding them in

Passenger limit of 10 loving hurts for the founders period

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

So I'm close to finally completing a map. Atmo, heat and water are all there or there abouts but man forests/vegetation seems to take forever, I'm doing the seed planetary mission every time it pops up and have a bunch of forestry stations is there anything else I can do to speed this up.

Don't really want to sit there while everything else is done just watching the vegetation number tick up by 0.1% a sol.

Also easy mode population management appears to be. Mega dome, 2x standard service slice, security office and two medium parks, space bar, 2 farms and fill the rest with normal houses. You can give up a few triangles to whatever work you need done. Slap a hanging gardens in there and everyone is super happy.

The secret is apparently to stop caring about employment.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
There should be a 4 hour workday society tech

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

So I'm close to finally completing a map. Atmo, heat and water are all there or there abouts but man forests/vegetation seems to take forever, I'm doing the seed planetary mission every time it pops up and have a bunch of forestry stations is there anything else I can do to speed this up.

Don't really want to sit there while everything else is done just watching the vegetation number tick up by 0.1% a sol.

Also easy mode population management appears to be. Mega dome, 2x standard service slice, security office and two medium parks, space bar, 2 farms and fill the rest with normal houses. You can give up a few triangles to whatever work you need done. Slap a hanging gardens in there and everyone is super happy.

The secret is apparently to stop caring about employment.

For Vegetation, your Forestry stations stop contributing progress at a certain (low) breakpoint and then forestry rocket missions are your only option. There is a Workshop mod which both removes the breakpoint and adds more forestry-mission options so you can have 2-3 rockets which do nothing but that, with a little downtime.

Also, I’m not sure if Unemployment even effects Comfort or Sanity; once you are fighting pop growth more than you are fighting the sere and unforgiving Marscape, Unemployment is a meaningless number and Unhoused is the key. Once you have a Mohole surrounded by a cluster of manufacturing/service domes, themselves surrounded by a layer of residential domes, and a sufficient Shuttle/Depot request distribution system, the only neccessary jobs to do are Service jobs. The Workshops exist literally to allow you to spend resources on colonists taking up a hobby, for a living.

Speaking of those, I know the Biorobotics shops can eventually fire events which give you Biorobot colonists, do the VR and Art shops have similar events? I’ve never had more than a couple VR places but I’ve put down Art domes due to the ease of making Polymer and never gotten a pop. Of course, I’ve only seen the Biorobots events 2-3 times in probably 8-10 runs past 100 Sols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

In other news does anyone else just keep the philosophers stones around until the mohole comes online. 20 rare metals a sol for power is great, especially once you get fusion.

Any other mysteries that are broken like that?