Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Brainworm posted:

Strings works on Linux/*BSD and macs, and should work on Windows if you have WSL installed. There's a neat Mac tutorial here.

If you don't want to deal with WSL, Sysinternals includes a strings clone as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Entorwellian posted:

Another niche product I like to use when I can is an audio programming environment called Puredata. It looks like it came from an apple ii but it allows you to build whatever you want with a small library of functions that you can load up as an external to play on a microcontroller, or you can turn your programs into VSTs for music software you use. So you can build a digital guitar pedal or a softsynth without having to know too much about hardware. It's open source and free, as opposed to its $500 counterpart Max/Msp by Cycling '74. It's essentially the "MSP" part of Max/MSP and was coded by the same guy. I still use Max for most of my stuff but puredata is my go-to for making the software component to anything hardware. Also you are limited to using the max runtime or max4live in Ableton with Max/Msp, whereas Puredata will run on just about anything.

Maxis and EA made the dynamic soundtrack to the computer game "Spore'" with it, and it also works with Unity (though I never tried.)

Pure Data is good poo poo. When I was doing my master's in music, one of the best classes I ever took was an intro to programming with Pd. For my final project, I ran a Yamaha Silent Brass mute into my laptop and built a patch so that I could get various guitar pedal type effects on my horn, or use it as a midi controller to play synth instruments or samples.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I forgot to post Everything before.

Windows file search has always sucked, even if you set C:\ to be indexed.
This service has a file system watcher that records every file in your file system and puts it in its own database.
Searching is instant.
Even launching a program by name is typically quicker than the stupid Win10 start menu search.

https://www.voidtools.com/en-au/

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

EoinCannon posted:

PureRef

It's a simple pinboard that you can dump images onto from a folder or straight from a web browser. Super handy for modeling reference as you can fade opacity and have it float above your 3d app. Has lots of neat little features but is so minimal and fast you won't notice of you never need them.

+1

Brainworm posted:

Need to scrape human-readable text out of a binary -- like, maybe you want to pull plain text out of a document saved by some ancient word processor? There's a tool for that: strings.

Teaching a class at a university that doesn't use TurnItIn? Feed every student paper to strings, pipleline the output to Google, and see where students copied their papers from.

Corrupted project files? Use strings to figure out what they are.

Looking for undocumented features in an executable? Strings again.

Strings works on Linux/*BSD and macs, and should work on Windows if you have WSL installed. There's a neat Mac tutorial here.

This is so awesome and just wanted to thank you for mentioning it.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i like kdocker

and the best music player is audacious, it still supports winamp skins too

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Mozi posted:

windirstat
Quite a few people in the thread have mentioned this. It's probably nicer featured than good old spacemonger. I've had v1.40 for a very long time, and the last modified date on the one in my utilities folder is Oct-2000. I still have this version because it was the last one they made that was released as freeware.
https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=150

Entorwellian posted:

Cool Edit Pro 2.1

Cool Edit Pro is wonderful. It lives in my quicklaunch bar and is my go to for any kind of sound editing.

Brainworm posted:

strings, strings, strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-lyA2id5aY

*I couldn't find an undaulterated copy of this, so the looping one will have to do.

(I'm not just taking the piss, strings is awesome too.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

rotor posted:

sshfs is a utility that lets you treat ssh sessions as drives mounted to your filesystem and it's incredibly useful and works just about everywhere.

It works on top of FUSE, which is a userspace filesystem. Idk what the S & E stand for tho. But FUSE has this pluggable thing where you can write different handlers to create filesystems out of different things: ftp sessions, csv files, whatever. SSH turns out to be the really useful one though.

OSX:
https://github.com/osxfuse/osxfuse/wiki/SSHFS
https://osxfuse.github.io/

WIN:
i haven't installed it in like 10 years but there's some info here https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-sshfs-to-mount-remote-file-systems-over-ssh

In Linux this solution is great for working on remote systems. However I have found that will bad connections it hangs things like the GTK file picker.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

EoinCannon posted:

PureRef

It's a simple pinboard that you can dump images onto from a folder or straight from a web browser. Super handy for modeling reference as you can fade opacity and have it float above your 3d app. Has lots of neat little features but is so minimal and fast you won't notice of you never need them.

You've just reminded me it's been sitting on my toolbar for a year!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Cheat Engine is a tool for cheating in computer games. People who know about programming stuff can do all sorts of neat poo poo with it but for someone like me all you have to do is point it at a program, type in a value you want to change (like the amount of money your character has or how many of an item you're character has), and then narrow down all the variables it returns by changing the number of the thing in the game and then plugging the new value in. Once you have it isolated you can change it to whatever you want, bypassing hours of grinding, or lock the value in place to effectively give yourself infinite health/money.

Especially with the recent trend in games wanting to push microtranactions in single player games it feels great to just bypass that entirely. Just make sure you don't do it with an online-enabled game when the game is connected to the internet, if the values are stored server-side it will immediately revert at best and get you banned for cheating at worst.

Reprogram Plus
Sep 24, 2007

CLCL. It sits in your tray and keeps a history if stuff you have copied so you can go back after copying something else. Win10 kinda has this feature now but I prefer this ancient tool I've used forever. https://nakka.com/soft/clcl/index_eng.html

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I used MusicBrainz Picard when I had a bunch of mp3s from Kazaa or whatever and wanted to figure out what albums they were from and tag them properly en masse.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Loden Taylor posted:

Pure Data is good poo poo. When I was doing my master's in music, one of the best classes I ever took was an intro to programming with Pd. For my final project, I ran a Yamaha Silent Brass mute into my laptop and built a patch so that I could get various guitar pedal type effects on my horn, or use it as a midi controller to play synth instruments or samples.

There's a fork that is out called "Linux Laptop Orchestra (L2Ork)" which heavily modifies Puredata to brings it up-to-date graphically and makes things more user-friendly. Especially the GUI. Might be better for beginners or those that don't want to fight the C language.

Regular Pd: https://puredata.info/
L2Ork version: https://puredata.info/downloads/Pd-L2Ork

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Entorwellian posted:

There's a fork that is out called "Linux Laptop Orchestra (L2Ork)" which heavily modifies Puredata to brings it up-to-date graphically and makes things more user-friendly. Especially the GUI. Might be better for beginners or those that don't want to fight the C language.

Regular Pd: https://puredata.info/
L2Ork version: https://puredata.info/downloads/Pd-L2Ork

Thanks for this. Could't use L2Ork since I don't have Linux, but grabbed the Windows compatible fork, Purr-Data. And since it's all forked off Pd-extended, most of my old patches still work.

Spent some time piecing apart and reworking an old drone generator to re-learn how everything works.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Entorwellian posted:

Another niche product I like to use when I can is an audio programming environment called Puredata. It looks like it came from an apple ii but it allows you to build whatever you want with a small library of functions that you can load up as an external to play on a microcontroller, or you can turn your programs into VSTs for music software you use. So you can build a digital guitar pedal or a softsynth without having to know too much about hardware. It's open source and free, as opposed to its $500 counterpart Max/Msp by Cycling '74. It's essentially the "MSP" part of Max/MSP and was coded by the same guy. I still use Max for most of my stuff but puredata is my go-to for making the software component to anything hardware. Also you are limited to using the max runtime or max4live in Ableton with Max/Msp, whereas Puredata will run on just about anything.

Maxis and EA made the dynamic soundtrack to the computer game "Spore'" with it, and it also works with Unity (though I never tried.)

It's also the basis behind https://www.critterandguitari.com/organelle, which can be less glamorously described as an embedded linux machine with a lot of audio-focused ports and a really not ergonomic built-in keyboard. still fun though!

Anyway, my favorite niche piece of software is Gephi, an open-source toolkit for manipulating and visualizing graph data. This is graph data in the computer science sense, where you have a number of nodes and connections (edges) between them. This is a surprisingly flexible abstraction, and can be adapted to represent connections between websites (the original theoretical basis behind Google search is based on it), real-world networks (you, your friends, everyone they're friends with, and all connections in between), or less intuitive things like recipe ingredients (garlic powder: turns out it's more likely "connected" to savory beef dishes and associated ingredients than it is to cocoa powder).

While you can do lots of useful computer things with graphs, they're most fun for humans when you can visualize them. Graph data on its own is just a big list of things and their connections to other things, but there are a wide variety of algorithms you can use to analyze that data and plot it for easy human understanding. My favorite application is analyzing social network data: relatively open sources like Twitter or Facebook groups (at least back in the wild west pre-Cambridge Analytica days of Open Graph giving you everything with the barest of justification) allow you to gather a lot of data about the structure of communities. For example, this is a high-level, "big hairy balls" (on account of it being mostly a fuzzy mess of edges) view of the various communities grouped around the Twitter accounts of Let's Play posters, circa 2016:

That particular rendering isn't from Gephi, but it's pretty representative. While it does look like a giant mess at this level, zooming in does show a lot of interesting structure in how those communities are grouped, and which members are central and which form bridges between communities.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
red is either an rear end in a top hat or so fuckin cool

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

My work still uses Lotus Notes for a bunch of database stuff and I actually really like the bit we use for project tracking. It’s just nicely organized and really easy to find what you’re looking for.

I’m on the team that’s working on the browser based replacement strategy and I hate it already.

I know this is 7 pages old but if I heard you express this insane opinion in a design or specification meeting you would immediately get tarred with "never, ever promote this irredeemable monster" in my head

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Is there a program that allows me to copy from a pdf and paste it into a word document. I dont want to pay Adobe prices to do so, because I only need it to update my CV every few years at most

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lilbeefer posted:

Is there a program that allows me to copy from a pdf and paste it into a word document. I dont want to pay Adobe prices to do so, because I only need it to update my CV every few years at most

that depends on what you are trying to copy and how the PDF is set up. some times you can grab the raw text, some times you can't. but push comes to shove you can copy anything from any type of E-document using Sharex. this will involve taking a screen grab of your PDF

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Yeh I should clarify I really want to keep the formatting

Will check out that and see if it helps, thanks

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

If you want to paste it into a Word document, why not open the PDF in Word? It has a built-in parser since version 2013 at least

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

A CRAB IRL posted:

I know this is 7 pages old but if I heard you express this insane opinion in a design or specification meeting you would immediately get tarred with "never, ever promote this irredeemable monster" in my head

It was a (bad) troll post.

I do hate the replacement we’re implementing though.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Lotus Scrotes

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

olives black posted: