Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

what is a good first country out of europe (and the mediterranean)? i've only ever played southern european countries, england and the ottomans, and don't feel like playing anything in europe since its getting revamped.

Any one of the small countries that can form Malacca is a good choice. You'll be pretty even at the beginning and once you take over the whole node you'll be making enough dough to take on Ming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Davincie posted:

what is a good first country out of europe (and the mediterranean)? i've only ever played southern european countries, england and the ottomans, and don't feel like playing anything in europe since its getting revamped.

The Indian thunderdome is fun if you want to just be constantly at war with everything around you.

What I would suggest is picking an achievement that sounds fun and go for that. Let your desire for little steam pop-up notices guide your heart.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

Any one of the small countries that can form Malacca is a good choice. You'll be pretty even at the beginning and once you take over the whole node you'll be making enough dough to take on Ming.

I'm guessing you mean Malaya

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Malacca into Malaya is super OP, I played it a few weeks ago and even got Global Trade to spawn in one of my provinces.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Timurids -> Mughals really is a good choice. Starting is a bit tricky but once you integrate all your vassals you got plenty of places to expand.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Phlegmish posted:

It's EUIV, this could absolutely happen.The main reason I build forts is so that I don't have to chase little troll stacks across the entire continent.

shoutout to the time in mapgoons the mighty qing army marched all the way to hesse just for a peace to be signed as they arrived.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Davincie posted:

Start as one of the Manchu tribes and form Qing, you get to play around with horde mechanics in the early game and then you get to be China in the second half

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

AnEdgelord posted:

Start as one of the Manchu tribes and form Qing, you get to play around with horde mechanics in the early game and then you get to be China in the second half

the hardmode version of this is mongolia -> yuan

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

skasion posted:

If you want easy mode, then Timurids->Mughals is about as easy as it gets

If you want something less easy and fairly different from the usual Euro game but still not really rough, try forming Malaya from Malacca/Majapahit

Important to note that Malacca is much easier than Majapahit

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy, why hast thou forsaken us?

Sampatrick posted:

Important to note that Malacca is much easier than Majapahit
I dunno about it being "much" because Majapajit was a breeze for me, though that was at least two years ago now.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Groogy, why hast thou forsaken us?

I dunno about it being "much" because Majapajit was a breeze for me, though that was at least two years ago now.

Not having to deal with Ming is nice

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So I decided to watch the Dev clashes because I am itching for some EU4 but I am still holding on hope for the DLC.

Seeing the Dev Clash at this point in the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIePEA6ri3c&t=1136s
helped me lose interest again because there are still battles with 100k+ men in them before 1460 :allears:

Sampatrick posted:

Not having to deal with Ming is nice
Do either of them have to deal with Ming near their start position?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

So I decided to watch the Dev clashes because I am itching for some EU4 but I am still holding on hope for the DLC.

Seeing the Dev Clash at this point in the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIePEA6ri3c&t=1136s
helped me lose interest again because there are still battles with 100k+ men in them before 1460 :allears:

malacca is a tributary state. borneo starts out with unowned provinces so you either have to conquer malacca or else afk until you have exploration/expansion if you want to form malaya.

also its a battle including england, scotland, france, burgundy, morocco, castile, and aragon. obviously its going to be a massive battle. there also were, historically, battles that involved over 100k people in the 1400s. vaslui is the most famous one, probably.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

There are tributaries, yes. Malacca is one, so it avoids needing to war Ming.

And if you expected the game to not have 100k+ battles in multiplayer from the get go, you need to do some modding and remove a 0, because that ain't changing ever.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

becoming a ming tributary is how you go about not having to deal with ming

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Pretty fun achievement to get! Ottos basically never went south so Mamluks were pretty tough for the first couple of wars, but after that things were mostly smooth sailing. I lucked out, the Ottos barely expanded in any direction, most of the land they got in the Balkans was from me calling Austria into my wars (sorry buddy!) so they weren't nearly the final boss that I expected them to be. I also got A Blessed Nation while I was at it, of course.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

oddium posted:

I go the "I have a giant gently caress-off navy" route to deal with Ming as Tidore or Ternate.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

oddium posted:

Of late, whenever my strategy depends on Ming being stable (i.e. I am a tributary because I need protection), they blow the gently caress up by the early 1500s. Or else the dudes I need protection from also somehow become tributaries (goddamn Manchu).

When I want them to blow up, of course, they are a stable behemoth forever.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

I'd given up on this achievement so many times before because getting chain declared by every colonizer any time you go to war gets so drat tedious

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
remember when timurids actually collapsed like they were supposed to instead of being one of the most consistent and stable non-lucky nations

good times

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

timurids collapse all the time

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Because i have nothing better to do, i just checked my last 20 games that i played further than 1500, and the Timurids collapsed in 10 of them, and had varying degrees of success in the rest. Hardly the "most consistent"
:thunk:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I haven't seen a stable timmy in ages honestly.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The only consistent superpowers without player intervention for me have been England and Ottomans. Spain, France are 50/50 whether they get dogpiled, Muscovy/Russia does get big but also does get into the tens of thousands of debt, Ming explodes every time.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Firebatgyro posted:

I'd given up on this achievement so many times before because getting chain declared by every colonizer any time you go to war gets so drat tedious

Did you do that without taking land outside of Africa? God, I'd never be able to restrain myself but those are some really really pretty borders.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Did you do that without taking land outside of Africa? God, I'd never be able to restrain myself but those are some really really pretty borders.

I took Socotra which I realized afterwards was in Asia, but otherwise just the provinces for the achievement

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I fired up eu4 for the first time in like over a year the other day and played malacca -> malaya, but my mp seems to be permanently lacking. It's about 1650 and I only have 3 ideas unlocked, and I'm behind on admin and diplo tech. I did have to spawn a few institutions by development but still. Was it the combo of institution spawning and quick expansion? I own basically the whole malacca, Philippine and moluccas trade nodes, moving into Bengal now. Its funny because I have lacking tech/ideas but I'm swimming in income, if I put the army slider to 0 in peacetime I'm at like 70-80/mo. I only started getting +2 or the occasional +3 advisor maybe 50 years ago when my income really really took off

Is this usual or did I do something wrong?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I fired up eu4 for the first time in like over a year the other day and played malacca -> malaya, but my mp seems to be permanently lacking. It's about 1650 and I only have 3 ideas unlocked, and I'm behind on admin and diplo tech. I did have to spawn a few institutions by development but still. Was it the combo of institution spawning and quick expansion? I own basically the whole malacca, Philippine and moluccas trade nodes, moving into Bengal now. Its funny because I have lacking tech/ideas but I'm swimming in income, if I put the army slider to 0 in peacetime I'm at like 70-80/mo. I only started getting +2 or the occasional +3 advisor maybe 50 years ago when my income really really took off

Do you have the dlc that lets you upgrade advisors up to +5? Forgot which one it is. Anyway do that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If you're at peace, yeah, set your army maintenance slider to 0 and hire the best advisors you can. You could also mothball a few forts that aren't near the border. If you have a garbage king/heir, abdicate/disinherit when possible.

What's your strat for institutions? My personal guideline is to try to embrace any given institution before I hit the associated 50% tech penalty. For the first institution I force-develop a province with favorable terrain (e.g. farmlands), surrounded by as many similar provinces as possible, until it has the new institution. It's best if it already has a reasonably high (10-15) development before you begin. Don't develop any provinces outside of this region if you don't have a specific reason for it. Then for the second insitution, develop a province right next to the previous one, based on the same criteria. The third province should ideally border both of the first two ones, and so on. Get a cluster going.
If you're playing Malacca, the area around your capital is a good place for this (though I don't remember the terrain). That way you can get institution spread to Borneo and Sumatra if necessary, because provinces in the same sea zone are considered to be adjacent for that purpose.

Don't be afraid to take out a few loans so you can embrace a new institution as soon as possible, as long as you stay in the green afterwards. As Malacca with its trade income especially this is not a problem at all, you can embrace the institution as soon as it hits the 10% threshold and then pay back the loans at your leisure.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm trying to move an army from Lucca to Nice, so a good opportunity to use transports since Genoa is kinda blocking the landroute. I have a fleet of six automated transports in Lucca. But I also have another fleet of two automated transports in the Caribbean. Guess which one the game decides is the best choice to pick from those? :bang:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

canepazzo posted:

Do you have the dlc that lets you upgrade advisors up to +5? Forgot which one it is. Anyway do that.

whaaaaaaaaat

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think you probably could've gotten better advisors sooner. My Brunei campaign was a long time ago, but I seem to remember getting +2 advisors around 50 - 75 years in. That region of the world is quite wealthy if you know the right places to look and how to control the trade. It's also generally a good idea to disinherit any heir that does not have good stats. You should also try to keep your Power Projection above 50 by insulting rivals, humiliating them, etc. This gives you +1 in all monarch points per month. (note: disinheriting requires rights of man)

Also, with institutions, I always try to find a european ally and hope they offer to share knowledge. That can help a lot. It's obviously not possible to do this as malaysia until the 1600s or so, but if you can pull that off, you won't have to develop for as many institutions.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 26, 2020

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why the gently caress are all my allies turning hostile?

I have 63 trust with France rn, but the same thing played out with sweden before, hostile at +200

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

did the league war fire

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

oddium posted:

did the league war fire

i didn't join into the leagues

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

i didn't join into the leagues

What does it say when you hover over the crossed blue and red flags in the top left corner?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

trapped mouse posted:

What does it say when you hover over the crossed blue and red flags in the top left corner?

They wanted to break the alliance, it was like -930 in total and -1k of that was being hostile relationship. They ended up breaking the alliance and then the hostile attitude went away 6mo later and i re-allied.

Now I have a royal marriage with a country that.. doesnt exist? Brittany was full annexed like 15 years ago but i have a RM with them still

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

fuf posted:

whaaaaaaaaat

Paradox posted:

Promote advisor

Available only with the Cradle of Civilization DLC enabled.

It is possible at any point to promote the rank of an advisor once they are hired, provided they are of an accepted culture, to a max rank of 5. This can be done for the cost of 60 times the advisor's monthly salary (the cost of a 5-year salary).

As advisor's monthly salary increases quadratically with rank; it is recommended to make sure the economy can sustain the cost before promoting the advisor. With this, an even higher emphasis is put on advisor age as they are less likely to die early and risk the loss of investment.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Now I have a royal marriage with a country that.. doesnt exist? Brittany was full annexed like 15 years ago but i have a RM with them still

Do they have exploration ideas? They might have been exiled to a colony somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Various Meat Products posted:

Do they have exploration ideas? They might have been exiled to a colony somewhere.
Or they bought a province in Africa or India somewhere.