Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kith posted:

Yes. There's the standard Marine and a "Terran Marine":

Which doesn't actually have a Flamethrower, it uses the same ratatat animation and sound effect as the standard Marine except with a poof of dust as a projectile.

Also, something I just now discovered: you can't test maps offline - you have to be signed in to Warcraft 3 first. However, if you have Warcraft 3 open and you press Test Map in the Editor, it opens another instance of Warcraft 3 to load your map.

That you're not signed in on.

That is absolutely hilarious. They couldn't even be assed to import a firebat when replacing their 40k rip off joke unit.

Having to wait for the game to boot up every time you test a map rather than just running it on the current instance is depressing. The fact that you also have to log back in every time is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Any idea on how reforged sales have turned out post refunds?

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

Kith posted:

He does not.

Walking Malfurion just isn't in the game anymore, alongside many other models.

Thanks for answering that, I wasn't feeling like opening up the casc viewer, downloading the maps and looking through. I must have mentally conflated Thrall off his Wolf in 'The Last Guardian' cutscene for Malfurion off his Stag.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Eregos posted:

Thanks for answering that, I wasn't feeling like opening up the casc viewer, downloading the maps and looking through. I must have mentally conflated Thrall off his Wolf in 'The Last Guardian' cutscene for Malfurion off his Stag.

I hadn't checked with casc viewer because the Editor has everything indexed. On second thought, I don't know if I want to look - I don't know how I'd react if I found the models in casc viewer but unused in the editor.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I'm really glad I didn't preorder this thing, but, uh, when is it going on sale? I'd buy it for cheap.

I held off on buying Starcraft II for a long time because I was mainly interested in the single player campaign and some people said it was terrible. I got SC2 years later in a sale and it was totally worth $30 for the whole thing. The campaign wasn't amazing, but it was good enough that I wanted to play through to the end.

Even with all the jank WC3 reforged has shown, I'd still buy it half price if it went on sale. Every few years I get a hankering for singleplayer RTS campaign, and the original WC3/TFT always does (did?) the trick.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Just play the original WC3, if you have the CDs. You can patch up to.. Whatever patch it was before they added in widescreen support, without losing anything to the remake. Demake.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Hell, I still have 1.31.1 with widescreen support and it works. Nags me to update, but plays fine.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I just slaughtered my ally's hero on accident. Korean text doesn't show up in game when you hover your mouse over a unit, which is usually how I double check bad guys in a skirmish, because their text shows up red. His showed up as blank and based on his positioning and movement it looked like he was fleeing me and then I thought it was funny how he wasnt attacking me.

If I get banned for griefing that will be the icing on the shitcake that is reforged

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
There were 3 huge bugs in classic I was hoping Reforged would fix.

1. In huge battles in custom maps with tons of units, a rendering problem would lead to unit textures/meshes jumping around crazily between unrelated units, resembling javelins crossing the entire screen. Any unit/building texture visible on screen would get pulled into the writhing mess. Reforged should have removed this rendering limitation. Status: Unknown, haven't checked it yet.

2. The biggest thing limiting large AI games / compstomps - when there are too many AI units at once, or some of them are blocked, usually in 12-24p games, WC3 slows down to 1-2 fps. In classic the difference was jarring, the game would instantly jump from solid 144fps to 1-2. Status: Confirmed not fixed. Very disappointing as it makes any kind of large AI game nonviable. It could've been fixed without altering the rest of the pathing logic outside this very specific situation.

3. In giant custom maps like WW3, too many units moving on the map at once would make units randomly stop moving, or stand still and refuse to respond. There's a clear game limitation on how many units can be pathing at once. Fortunately, this didn't reduce the game FPS, but it made giant games less workable. Status: Confirmed not fixed, by Kith.

Curious if anyone knows if #1 was fixed.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 7, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

3 is not fixed. I got dragged into a game of Custom Hero Line Wars and they stagger just as they used do.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I decided to go check if there's been any updates to the game lately.

No, last patch was on March 18th. I know that current events have affected development and work conditions for everyone but you'd think a large studio like Blizzard would be able to weather such a storm and continue delivering something.

Still no ranked ladder, profiles or clans. We're coming up on 3 months since release next week and the sepia colored backgrounds to differentiate Classic or Reforged mode are still there (was supposed to be a temporary fix but I guess it's very hard for the dedicated team to put in new art or some kind of toggle button).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Why'd they think it was a good idea to make the Wisp look like poo poo.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Why'd they think it was a good idea to make the whole entire game look like poo poo.

FTFY

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I mean yeah but the Wisp stands out among the shittiness.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
This is probably a weird question but back when DotA was still the big game but not the only game in custom lobby, wasn't there a DotA variant? I think it was on an snowy map or something. I don't remember much about it (whatever it was) and my quick search for dota on a map site returned over 1000 versions, presumably balance tweak variations.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is probably a weird question but back when DotA was still the big game but not the only game in custom lobby, wasn't there a DotA variant? I think it was on an snowy map or something. I don't remember much about it (whatever it was) and my quick search for dota on a map site returned over 1000 versions, presumably balance tweak variations.

Tides of Blood was a big one, that was in a tropical area though.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Emnity Campaign was snowy/icy and it ruled

vv Oh man thinking about Eota is throwing me back in time

Half of Dracula fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 26, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I definitely played EotA which was some kind of insanely overbuilt maximalist version.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

There were a lot of different variants ranging from incredibly poo poo to pretty great. Remembering the exact time period might help narrow it down. I remember when TFT came out there were a lot of different DotA clones that came out before the people working on the best DotA game seemed to get a decent version going. I think this was around the time of Dota EX, DX,Void, Outland, Unforgiven and whatnot before Allstars became the big one. Of course this is 15 years ago so I could be completely wrong on some of this.

Mormon Mother
Jan 23, 2008
Self diagnosed!
Hero wars EE and BG were pretty popular too

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Zaphod42 posted:

do it aoe 2 definitive is great

there's so many factions and campaigns now its bonkers

i'm just now catching up on this thread, is there an age of empires 2: definitive edition thread? I don't see one using the search function

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

i forget the name of it (dota 2? probably not) but there was one where one team had their base in the middle of the map in like a snow/ice island and the other team was around the outside

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

Could it be Aeons of Strife? That came over from original SC I think.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

time for a joke posted:

i forget the name of it (dota 2? probably not) but there was one where one team had their base in the middle of the map in like a snow/ice island and the other team was around the outside

That was Dota 2 one team had the top of a mountain.

I know the Dota Chaos variant was super popular in China.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Like everyone else said, there were a lot of 'dotas' before allstars became synonymous with it. I recall playing a version with my friend a few times whose map was circular, with the two main creep lanes running around the edges and converging at 7 and 2 o'clock, and it was snowy. Forget what its dota branding was though, sorry.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gildiss posted:

Tides of Blood was a big one, that was in a tropical area though.

I no joke like Tides of Blood the most of any of the Mobas I played. Unless you count FMVH, a game that nobody except a banned poster on the first page remembers.

I think, by the way that this map I'm asking about was just after Dota got big and they might have tried to... expand it and have a sort of franchise. Dota presents, a Icefrog production sort of thing. I don't remember it being good though lmao

Drakyn posted:

Like everyone else said, there were a lot of 'dotas' before allstars became synonymous with it. I recall playing a version with my friend a few times whose map was circular, with the two main creep lanes running around the edges and converging at 7 and 2 o'clock, and it was snowy. Forget what its dota branding was though, sorry.

Ahhhh, this is sounding pretty close.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I remember being really bad at Tides of Blood

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Mandalay posted:

i'm just now catching up on this thread, is there an age of empires 2: definitive edition thread? I don't see one using the search function

Omg if you make one I'm there. There is an HD thread many pages back but I think the DE deserves its own. I posted in the strategy thread that I consider it the gold standard of remasterings. I then compared it to reforged because from what I gather that was a big swing and a miss

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

I remember being really bad at Tides of Blood

Were you good at dota? ToB had a real similar skill set but a much broader scope it seemed. If you were bad at managing your hero you could still save your money and instead build creep towers that would spawn additional lane creeps iirc. It was a great way to initiate a push, by having additional creeps show up unannounced at the enemy tower.

Man I loving love tides of blood.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 26, 2020

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

I no joke like Tides of Blood the most of any of the Mobas I played. Unless you count FMVH, a game that nobody except a banned poster on the first page remembers.

I think, by the way that this map I'm asking about was just after Dota got big and they might have tried to... expand it and have a sort of franchise. Dota presents, a Icefrog production sort of thing. I don't remember it being good though lmao

FMVH the vampire hunters map? With the sound clips from Blade etc? Loved that one hell yeah.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

It was the best of the dotas a shame nobody ripped it off.

The battleships dota was really good too.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Dozens of us remember Force Majeure Vampire Hunters! Dozens!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
still can't believe how badly blizzard hosed this up

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wasn't the guy from Dune a playable hero in that? Man custom maps were a riot back in the day

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Horizon Burning posted:

still can't believe how badly blizzard hosed this up

lmao at the fact that square enix of all companies is the one who's clowning on blizzard by doing everything they're trying to do except better.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Half of Dracula posted:

Wasn't the guy from Dune a playable hero in that? Man custom maps were a riot back in the day

Yeah and he was pretty good too.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I was always a huge fan of Advent of the Zenith, some crazy fun heroes in there and it was more in the tides of blood format. Tons of custom assets in it too, though I don't remember it being played a ton.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

time for a joke posted:

The one with three lanes? Same guy made a dota styled map about sieging a city?

Forget the name but it was cool.

TGG posted:

I was always a huge fan of Advent of the Zenith, some crazy fun heroes in there and it was more in the tides of blood format. Tons of custom assets in it too, though I don't remember it being played a ton.

Man I remember that. Desert of Exile, too. I wasn't a huge fan but I was in the clan with the guy that made it for awhile, there were some real characters. :allears:

now I'm sad. :smith:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Best dotalike map was Age of Myths, that had some wild custom abilities.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

did any mobas even attempt to deviate from the 3 lane, corner bases format?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There was a map where you picked a tank model and loaded up with specific weapons, and they would do things like automatically fire at dudes in range or allow you to shoot a big rear end bomb or you could load up on extra armor plating or faster engines. Instead of a tank you could pick an airship that was very fast, but was much less sturdy than other vehicles, etc. Some models had less than 6 slots available but made up for it in other ways.

The game ruled and it was the best of the DOTAs but the nature of the game was very much about just deciding on a build than actually playing it which meant there was a "Correct Way To Play" and you'd absolutely get demolished by a guy with zero recourse. And then you'd play as that next game, and then after a while everyone was doing the same poo poo.

It was still a really cool game/idea, though. Playing it blind with a bunch of randos was a LOT of fun.

SirSamVimes posted:

lmao at the fact that square enix of all companies is the one who's clowning on blizzard by doing everything they're trying to do except better.

Trials of Mana and FF7R are doing so loving well both in sales and in players' sentiment by completely remaking two very, very old games. Meanwhile Blizzard failed at a loving model swap.