Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

one of my android colonists made an excellent gun with art on it. his name's Quinn 2 (we already had a colonist named quinn when he showed up) and the art is called Black Quinn 2

meanwhile Marky the Weedmouse is engraving van art style stuff on the special bed i had made for a visiting noble:

i managed to recruit a T5 android who fell from space but he's a real dickhead. all he wants to do is mine, and he keeps flying into murderous rages and killing other colonists. I had to blow a resurrection serum thingy on my scientist, and luckily for the other murder attempts marky has been there to arrest the robot and take him to gay baby jail. I'm wondering if I can use the skymind network thing to overwrite the rear end in a top hat robot's mind with the mind of kindly Quinn 2, or if that will either not work or make Quinn 2 turn into an rear end in a top hat too.

the T5 android did try to kill marky himself once, but marky dumpstered the chump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i managed to recruit a T5 android who fell from space but he's a real dickhead. all he wants to do is mine, and he keeps flying into murderous rages and killing other colonists. I had to blow a resurrection serum thingy on my scientist, and luckily for the other murder attempts marky has been there to arrest the robot and take him to gay baby jail. I'm wondering if I can use the skymind network thing to overwrite the rear end in a top hat robot's mind with the mind of kindly Quinn 2, or if that will either not work or make Quinn 2 turn into an rear end in a top hat too.

the T5 android did try to kill marky himself once, but marky dumpstered the chump

Yeah, you want to skymind duplicate literally anyone else into the T5 so it stops randomly murdering people.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

ok that's good. Quinn doesn't have the best stats, but he's a tier 1 android and the T5 has tried to murder him on like 4 out of 6 murder attempts so far.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

That probably answers the question I had, are androids susceptible to radiation?

I think androids will react like a normal human, in that they'll get sick but they'll recover. Haulbots and roombas from Misc. Robots cant self repair so theyll just keep absorbing rads and eventually pop

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought radioactivity worked off toxic resistance which androids are 100% resistant to?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm a ways off from getting my plant up and running, but I'm hoping you're right, having a T1 do all the nuclear Charlie-work would be way better than micromanaging suits :v:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

the rimatomics radiation suits give seperate bonuses to toxic resistance and radiation resistance, so i'm guessing radiation is a seperate thing to toxic resistance.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I guess hard radiation doesn't do electronics any good either.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

That probably answers the question I had, are androids susceptible to radiation?

Actually, they're immune. Don't ask me why.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Included in their self repair mechanites is an anti-radioactive :techno:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
They do get damaged by very high levels of radiation I think, but hopefully you don't see those levels of radiation in day to day management of a reactor.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think reactors give off radiation at all unless something goes wrong. But I've never played around with big ones.

Which is a shame as I've never really needed to work to contain it. No need for airlocks, weird zigzag corridors to block direct emission from the core etc.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 25, 2020

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
🤔 I'm hitting the Rimworlds again after not playing for a very long time (two years maybe?), any big mods that I should consider? I played with Hospitality and Psychology (seems like Psych's been abandoned but someone else lifted it for 1.1) and a bunch of smaller ones, but I don't know how much of these has been made obsolete by vanilla changes or by other mods that do a better job. Right now I'm using all the 1.1 "Vanilla expanded" mods along with quite a few art-adjacent mods (I made a collection for those, though it also includes a few that I'm not using but seemed topical), plus mainstays like Prepare Carefully. Any suggestions?

I'm interested in mods that can enhance the 'storytelling' aspect (as in, the game's narrative that you create for yourself, not the storyteller AI), and stuff that adds more visual flair, like decorative stuff (though I think I already scanned the entire workshop for any 1.1 options on that last front).

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think reactors give off radiation at all unless something goes wrong. But I've never played around with big ones.

Which is a shame as I've never really needed to work to contain it. No need for airlocks, weird zigzag corridors to block direct emission from the core etc.
Spent fuel is definitely highly radioactive so you'll want a robot or someone with hazmat gear hauling it to the processor, though the plutonium it produces is safe (since it comes out in a shielded case or the like). Otherwise yeah you don't usually get dangerous radiation unless something has gone very wrong.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Since it's probably useful to some of yas, I fixed the bulk meals not working with rimcuisine processed foods:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2074038500

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

SexyBlindfold posted:

I'm interested in mods that can enhance the 'storytelling' aspect (as in, the game's narrative that you create for yourself, not the storyteller AI), and stuff that adds more visual flair, like decorative stuff (though I think I already scanned the entire workshop for any 1.1 options on that last front).

Have you got the extra stone and gemstone mods, as they add a nice variety of colours for decor.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

FairyNuff posted:

Have you got the extra stone and gemstone mods, as they add a nice variety of colours for decor.

And a great way to jack up colony wealth too!

Empire mod looks promising, but I haven't gotten to the meat of it yet.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It always blows my mind how twisted this game can be especially with mods. I just took a step back and realized that my current colony consists of several androids serving a Necromancer royal's needs while the necromancer reanimates dead raiders and performs freakish experiments on them to turn them into messes of amalgamated animal parts

The leader of the tribe that these zombies were raised from was somehow raised as completely human and alive by my Raise Dead spell, but still under my control, now he is living in a tiny room behind my chemfuel storage shed in a constant state of panic and terror because every time he leaves his room he sees his compatriots shambling around the corridors, freakishly twisted into unrecognizable beasts of industrial burden.

His only skills are with animals, but the only animals available for him to work with are these freakish Shock Goats

To make things a little more hosed up, I replaced the headgear of all of these tribals since they're terrible craftsmen and their masks were all Awful and at like 23% condition, so I made new hats for them all to properly expose their disfigured visages and as some kind of horrific parody of their past lives all of my androids have taken it upon themselves to equip the hosed up tribal masks to hide their identities and appear to these undead monstrosities as ghosts of the life they once lived.

I've also dug into a mountainside to construct a hidden lair full of genetic mutation chambers, cloning vats, bio-reactors (to dispose of unwanted mutants) and other shockingly awful things like tissue printers so I can amputate and replace their limbs wholesale or install weaponized claw arms or whatever.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 26, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm weird in that yes, I have turned captured raiders into puppets for my soldiers to control, wielding nothing but swords and suicide vests so I can dump them into bandit outposts and not worry about cleanup, but also sometimes I'll replace limbs that raiders lost and send them on their way minus their clothes and guns but with a fancy new prison jumpsuit :v:

If crude bionics ever updates I can go back to putting spike arms on my puppets, for now I'll just have to make do

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

After a recent gigantic Tribal raid that got blown up by my battery of mortars the second they stepped foot on my map, I have way too drat many undead. What can I do with such a force?

(Everyone to the right of Duke is a zombie)

They sure make picking this big ol' garden a lot easier, but they also demolish my framerate. I've been using them as a mass painting force to decorate my base but that won't last much longer

Edit: I mean other than the obvious "mutate them all into dinosaurs then release them upon a helpless world"

VVV Yeah I guess the question I should be asking is "what can I do to get rid of such a force (other than just dismissing them because that's boring)". There are also around 25 visitors in my base right now :( I guess Randy is telling me that social distancing is over.

Maybe I'll load them all up w/ guns and send them on an undead crusade across the desert

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 26, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Just looking at that many pawns made my framerate drop IRL

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Maybe I'll load them all up w/ guns and send them on an undead crusade across the desert

Start clearing out faction bases. If you wipe out a pirate base, every other faction gets +20 reputation with you, in addition to the loot you get from the base (there's usually random assortments of inventory, as well as the downed defenders). They can be decently defended.

You could also check out the Real Ruins mod and now and again a Pristine Ruin gets found, which can be absolutely massive with loads and loads of enemies and loads of treasure.

Flash grenades make dealing with insect infestations so much easier in more open fields. 2 grenadiers staggering grenades thrown at the ground far in front of the firing and melee line means few bugs get through non-stunned, those that do are few and easily dispatched, while the remainder gets gunned down.

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 26, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh so you send an army of zombies to destroy a bandit city and you get +20 with everyone for being a hero, but I send one measley little ICBM to do the same thing and I get -10 with everyone and they all call me "monster" and "war criminal" :mad:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

HelloSailorSign posted:

Start clearing out faction bases. If you wipe out a pirate base, every other faction gets +20 reputation with you, in addition to the loot you get from the base (there's usually random assortments of inventory, as well as the downed defenders). They can be decently defended.

You could also check out the Real Ruins mod and now and again a Pristine Ruin gets found, which can be absolutely massive with loads and loads of enemies and loads of treasure.

Flash grenades make dealing with insect infestations so much easier in more open fields. 2 grenadiers staggering grenades thrown at the ground far in front of the firing and melee line means few bugs get through non-stunned, those that do are few and easily dispatched, while the remainder gets gunned down.

Hopefully I can send them in a caravan without the necromancer present. If so I'm going to sit here and taunt tribals into attacking me so that I can load their corpses up with hand cannons and march them toward bandits until this planet is a goddamn utopia :clint: Zombies don't need food or rest and with my genetics up and running I can give them all rabbit feet or snake tails or whatever to still have 200%+ Movement

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Danaru posted:

Oh so you send an army of zombies to destroy a bandit city and you get +20 with everyone for being a hero, but I send one measley little ICBM to do the same thing and I get -10 with everyone and they all call me "monster" and "war criminal" :mad:

Agreed. Its just naked jealousy, and it hurts to see.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I installed some mod that gives me large global events such as ice ages and global warming. It's actually been an interesting challenge to deal with global warming on my arid climate base. The outdoor temperature is usually 130F and my crops stopped growing and everyone is getting mild heatstroke.

I had to double my power generation to build more coolers and AC, switched everyone to sleep during the day, and pop Cooling Ribs into anyone that cant tolerate the heat because of gear.

With the Hospitality mod I get about 10 guests at at a time. If any of them have impaired movement or consciousness they aren't able to escape the map before dropping from heat stroke.

sharkbomb fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 26, 2020

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Did someone say lots of pawns. My mega city is getting pretty silly:

I have like 90 hours in Rimworld and this is my second game. I've cheated quite a bit as I've been using this to figure the game out so I'm eager to start a new game legit. Just managing this huge glut of colonists is amusingly nutty though.

I've been slowly introducing mods and I've been impressed how stable it has been considering how many I've added to an in progress game. I really like the chain-link fence because building settlement walls via normal walls felt kinda goofy when I mostly wanted to fence off my animals from predators. The fences totally break animals though since they can't seem to really rampage through them so I can snipe them at my leisure. Actual raiders have no problem blowing them up though.

It had been a huge struggle to keep my insanely power hungry base going with all those vulnerable geothermal plants and wind farms as raiders love to beeline to destroy them and they are pretty expensive to rebuild. Those north power structures I've rebuilt so many times. Now with Rimefeller it has been a lot easier to manage power which does feel a little OP.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
You do tend to look at your power options when deciding where to build. Building near or around geothermal vents is a pretty common start.

Griz
May 21, 2001

FuzzySlippers posted:

It had been a huge struggle to keep my insanely power hungry base going with all those vulnerable geothermal plants and wind farms as raiders love to beeline to destroy them and they are pretty expensive to rebuild. Those north power structures I've rebuilt so many times. Now with Rimefeller it has been a lot easier to manage power which does feel a little OP.

if you wall off the geothermals, raiders will almost always ignore them and go for something else instead. the room gets kinda hot with the door closed but that doesn't really matter because no one needs to get in there unless it breaks down, and I think the repair time is fast enough that your dude won't get burned.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You don't have a megacity :smug: until you go "gently caress it" and make two barracks housing 20-30 people each and make them 180+ room quality. With the mood bonuses from your unbelievably impressive rec and dining rooms and every crafter sitting their butts on excellent quality guinea pig leather chairs, individual room benefits over barracks don't matter.

It's not like people sleep much between the circadian implants and the psychite tea.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Griz posted:

if you wall off the geothermals, raiders will almost always ignore them and go for something else instead. the room gets kinda hot with the door closed but that doesn't really matter because no one needs to get in there unless it breaks down, and I think the repair time is fast enough that your dude won't get burned.

Just build walls around it and leave a gap in the roof, or don't build a roof at all. Problem entirely solved.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Funnel the heat into a furnace room that raiders have to go through.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm never gonna stop advocating nuclear power :colbert: All other power types are chumps, except solar because the sun is the biggest nuclear reactor ever. I could only dream of being incandescent enough to grow plants by just existing :smith:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Give me a way to weaponize the heat output of nuclear and maybe I'll use it more :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
There actually might be a way, I tried using radiators to radiate heat from the core to warm up my base a long time ago, and the furniture started catching fire pretty quickly. I'll have to do some experimentation later :science:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

deep dish peat moss posted:

After a recent gigantic Tribal raid that got blown up by my battery of mortars the second they stepped foot on my map, I have way too drat many undead. What can I do with such a force?

(Everyone to the right of Duke is a zombie)

They sure make picking this big ol' garden a lot easier, but they also demolish my framerate. I've been using them as a mass painting force to decorate my base but that won't last much longer

Edit: I mean other than the obvious "mutate them all into dinosaurs then release them upon a helpless world"

VVV Yeah I guess the question I should be asking is "what can I do to get rid of such a force (other than just dismissing them because that's boring)". There are also around 25 visitors in my base right now :( I guess Randy is telling me that social distancing is over.

I recognize most of the stuff you got, but what's this room?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Just killed my lich during a raid by having it stand in healing circle lol. Annoying though as they wer le wearing a robe of the archmage

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

This looks like charging pods or the zero-g bed described in Ringworld

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bio-Reactors - they let you turn captured pawns/animals into Matrix-style living generators. They're all empty because I don't need them now that I have oil power but they're a fun lower-level generator that doesn't require all the extended setup that oil/atomic does. I use them when I want to be a cartoon villain

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
They're also a decent choice for storing biological surrogates and dinosaurs that eat way too loving much