Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I know exactly where that is* and the dude has some serious balls** to be dropping the p-word round there.

* corner of Adler Street and Coke Street in Whitechapel, less than a hundred yards from Altab Ali Park
** read: mediocre white man invincibility delusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ThomasPaine posted:

I hate the idea of ever having kids (as does my partner), and I don't think my brother wants them either, but my mum and to a lesser extent my dad desperately want the experience of being grandparents, and I feel properly guilty for denying them that even though I know it's absolutely the best decision for me :(

If they want the experience of having grandchildren I'm sure any number of charities that deal with kids who desperately need grandparently attention would be glad to have them volunteer.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

But what about the baby having fun?

Hahahaha.

thespaceinvader posted:

If they want the experience of having grandchildren I'm sure any number of charities that deal with kids who desperately need grandparently attention would be glad to have them volunteer.

Hmmm, I am not so sure about that existing really. I would be interested if one did though!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

HopperUK posted:

We're only letting two people in at a time but it's a small shop, so the system is just me yelling 'NO MORE PLEASE WAIT OUTSIDE' at people which frankly I enjoy on some level, probably because I've been working retail for 20+ years and this is the first time I'm allowed to be so stern with customers. We've had some trouble. Not awful, just people being a bit lovely and selfish. No violence round here. But then it's a small town, if anyone got nasty there's a solid chance we'd know exactly who they are and where they live, and they'd be hosed for pharmacy service in future, the only other one's inside the big sainsbury's a mile off.

I'm glad it's working out! Honestly I kinda feel like being stern helps, when there are clear boundaries I think a lot of people will accept it, instead of pushing to see what they can get away with. Not for everyone, but a lot of the I want to speak with the manager types. Do you have a sign you can tap? You should get a sign

And I like the 2 people system, makes me feel better about my parents ever having to go. When all this lockdown first started my mum was casually telling me how she was waiting in there for like 45 minutes with a bunch of people coughing, apparently oblivious to why I thought that was bad

Hope all you pharms are keeping well anyway? Although now you've been replaced by drones, condolences

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
That racist bloke was actually using his telephone there to call for help because his 50% too small trousers have rendered him immobile

Seriously, that's got to be at least a 36" boiler waist stuffed into 32" trousers, how do theorgans still function :/

crispix fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 25, 2020

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

My friend was in Sainsburys the other day, swallowed wrong and had a coughing fit. She said she's never seen an aisle clear out so fast in her life.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I know exactly where that is* and the dude has some serious balls** to be dropping the p-word round there.

* corner of Adler Street and Coke Street in Whitechapel, less than a hundred yards from Altab Ali Park

The more I think of it the more baffled I am by this video. Even assuming it's pre-lockdown, there's literally nothing for Whitey McWhiteface around there. Brick Lane is nearby, and a massive racist going for a curry would be very on-brand, but there's no real way of getting lost enough to end up there when trying to find Brick Lane from any nearby spot that he'd be coming from. It's not a main road, the only real reason to go down there is if you know exactly where you're going.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crispix posted:

That racist bloke was actually using his telephone there to call for help because his 50% too small trousers have rendered him immobile

Seriously, that's got to be at least a 36" boiler waist stuffed into 32" trousers, how do theorgans still function :/

I used to have a boss who insisted on wearing skinny jeans. Which I don't think suit many people anyway unless you're a waifish teenager, but he had a very noticeable beer gut at the best of times and was extremely receding on top, so the effect was to give you a general impression of talking to a human sized skittle.

He seemed happy with the look so fair play to him but I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror if I tried that.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
:laugh:

Love to see podgy balding lads waddling about in skinny jeans. Just refusing to acknowledge any time has passed since 2012

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

I used to have a boss who insisted on wearing skinny jeans. Which I don't think suit many people anyway unless you're a waifish teenager, but he had a very noticeable beer gut at the best of times and was extremely receding on top, so the effect was to give you a general impression of talking to a human sized skittle.

He seemed happy with the look so fair play to him but I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror if I tried that.

I think for some people it's a form of self-delusion, You do see quite a lot of men walking around with a massive beer gut that they've only been able to force above their waistline by using a ratchet strap as a belt. I guess they can tell themselves they're not fat because they still have a 36 inch waist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm glad that when I was growing up everyone was moshers so it was all baggy jeans and t shirts so I still naturally revert to that. It's much more accomodating if you're a great hairy lump like me.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I used to work with a bloke who was about 25 stone but he told himself and the world that he "carried it well" because he was 6 feet tall. He could maybe have carried it well in a wheelbarrow, but he really had a lot of confidence and had a more adventurous social and sex life than I've ever had so maybe self delusion isn't such a bad thing. Until you suffer the inevitable health problems I suppose

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I guess what I quite like about this video is there’s no real evidence of the filmer hitting him. Sure, the subtext is there, but no actual contact. Pro.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 25, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Josef bugman posted:

Hahahaha.

Hmmm, I am not so sure about that existing really. I would be interested if one did though!

There definitely did used to be some kind of 'rent a granny' or 'rent a grandchild' thing about 20 years ago - obviously not called that. Not sure it if is still going. I'd google but I have no idea what to google. ('Rent a granny' brings up some kind of agency. That's not what I was thinking of!)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

baka kaba posted:

I'm glad it's working out! Honestly I kinda feel like being stern helps, when there are clear boundaries I think a lot of people will accept it, instead of pushing to see what they can get away with. Not for everyone, but a lot of the I want to speak with the manager types. Do you have a sign you can tap? You should get a sign

And I like the 2 people system, makes me feel better about my parents ever having to go. When all this lockdown first started my mum was casually telling me how she was waiting in there for like 45 minutes with a bunch of people coughing, apparently oblivious to why I thought that was bad

Hope all you pharms are keeping well anyway? Although now you've been replaced by drones, condolences

Yeah there's a sign on the door so I also get to go "THERE'S A SIGN". Some people cry that they couldn't tell how many were already inside. I mean, come in, look, and go out again, but most people seem to be managing that difficult count.

My boss the pharmacist has definitely had covid, he was off for three weeks, but is fully recovered now, as far as I can tell, he's really perked up again. The rest of us, so far, getting away with it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I'm glad that when I was growing up everyone was moshers so it was all baggy jeans and t shirts so I still naturally revert to that. It's much more accomodating if you're a great hairy lump like me.
It's a pendulum of rejection and rediscovery.

I got called gay for wearing my dad's drainpipe jeans in the early 00s by the same sorts who'd be wearing indie jeans a decade later and thinking they invented it.

I bet the whole thing goes back to the Regency or some poo poo.

I'm under no illusions about whether I could pull that off now though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The only kind I could ever wear was bootcuts because anything else (and even those sometimes) won't fit my calves. I could only wear skinny jeans if I put the belt around my knees.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 25, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

I'm under no illusions about whether I could pull that off now though.

I should rather think getting them on in the first place ought to pose more of a problem!!!!!! :newlol:

OwlFancier posted:

The only kind I could ever wear was bootcuts because anything else (and even those) won't fit my calves. I could only wear skinny jeans if I put the belt around my knees.

I wore bootcuts but my enduring memory of them is one time standing at a urinal and looking down at them coming over my shoes and they were touching the pee that was puddled on the floor and the pee was slowly soaking in and I spent the rest of the day wondering if people could smell the pee

Also you always heard older people excusing their fashion choices in earlier life by saying that you wouldn't realise how daft you look until you see old photos of yourself but even at the tmie i was very aware that those jeans were ridiculous and impractical

crispix fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 25, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

OwlFancier posted:

The only kind I could ever wear was bootcuts because anything else (and even those sometimes) won't fit my calves. I could only wear skinny jeans if I put the belt around my knees.

Ugh, skinny jeans. I have to buy Levi's "athletic fit" to go over my thick but unusually short thighs. Just about get away with the 30" leg though.

Still it's better than women's clothing sizes. A "size 12"? That's at least 2 numbers too few to describe a human body size!

E: I used to love Uniqlo for jeans - choose, hand over, get cut to 29" leg (my actual size), pick up later. But then they went down the "skinny, slim, tight, or drainpipe" route :sigh:

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 25, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the oddest thing I ever had happen when clothes shopping was when the guy at the shop told me I didn't need short legs when I asked for them because I'm too tall.

Like, they're my legs, they've been attached to me for a while, I know how long they are.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Jeans shopping if you like straight and boring and comfy jeans is depressingly hard. Even places like marks and spencer and debenhams (RIP) that you would think would have more sense are full of jeans that look painted on unless you have bird legs and no arse

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm still running on like 10-15 year old ones cos I swapped to cargo pants/trousers for most of the time.

If you're too specific about the look cargo pants are a good alternative, and the pockets are good too.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Most comfy fit for me is a 36 or 37" inside leg which is rare unless you like combat trousers so yay for me

Also finding long fit t shirts in anything less than plain and boring is hell but boring beats showing off my midriff for people that aren't buying me drinks anyway

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
get a job that lets you wear shorts and never wear anything else ftw

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Long shirts are a nightmare yeah, short leg long body. Another reason I'm glad I don't work in an office because lol if I can find a shirt that will stay tucked in for more than 10 minutes.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I think the oddest thing I ever had happen when clothes shopping was when the guy at the shop told me I didn't need short legs when I asked for them because I'm too tall.

Like, they're my legs, they've been attached to me for a while, I know how long they are.

Oddest thing was when I wanted to get measured for a suit for my brothers wedding. He was getting all us family the same style/colour.
And the professional gentlemen suit making store I went to to get these looked at me as if I was asking them how many heads I have.
Now I am a fat bastard, but not that fat. I had no way to find out what neck/chest/waist/inleg I was at that time.
And didn't want to DIY and get a suit that is 3 sizes too small or big as had no way to change it after it was ordered.
I even offered to pay them a tenner for literally 1-2 minutes work.

Still laugh to this day about it, the shocked faces from them.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

crispix posted:

Even places like marks and spencer and debenhams (RIP) that you would think would have more sense are full of jeans that look painted on unless you have bird legs and no arse

That's me (well, I prefer to think of my legs as 'slender', but maybe birds do too), and those jeans are still terrible. They look great when I put them on, but as soon as I move they try to slide down my legs, because elastic things naturally move to the narrowest point. The guillotine is to good for whoever thought of adding stretchy stuff to denim.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Apparently that stuff perishes at high temperatures too so if you like a regular boil wash to get the arse/crotch sweat out of your jeans or had any ideas about tumble drying them they probably won't last you very long

and piss splashes as well

crispix fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 25, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobstar posted:

Ugh, skinny jeans. I have to buy Levi's "athletic fit" to go over my thick but unusually short thighs. Just about get away with the 30" leg though.

Still it's better than women's clothing sizes. A "size 12"? That's at least 2 numbers too few to describe a human body size!

E: I used to love Uniqlo for jeans - choose, hand over, get cut to 29" leg (my actual size), pick up later. But then they went down the "skinny, slim, tight, or drainpipe" route :sigh:

Women's clothes sizes are a nightmare.

UK size 12 (US size 8) now was size 16 in the 70s/80s - yes I still have clothes from then. And the variation from store to store and even within a store is huge. You have to try everything on.

And if your bust and waist are a particular size and your hips 3 sizes smaller (as in me) getting jeans or skirts to fit is a complete nightmare. M&S for example design on the principle that every woman has a tiny waist and ginormous hips that are 10 sizes bigger than their waist. If they fit my waist they are like clown balloon trousers round my hips. If I get hips to fit, then I am absolutely strangled round the waist even supposing I can do the wretched things up in the first place. Last time I looked for (desperately needed - I don't buy clothes unless I need to) new jeans earlier this year was impossible - they've all got chopped off legs now. Big tall birds do not suit chopped off jeans.

The joy of my life was clothes shopping in Oslo. Even the most expensive clothes had elasticated waists.

Anyway, I am now 60 and we had a zoom birthday party with family.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

baka kaba posted:

Given all his ~game theory~ focus I wouldn't be surprised if it's just cold, actuarial pragmatism. Not driven by emotion but the beeps and the boops. The kind of person who'd solve the trolley problem by running it down one track, reversing and running it down the other, and now the tracks are clear and the transport network can Get On With It

You just know he's ran the numbers about the amount of additional funding the Tories would get from care home residents dying and leaving party donations in their wills too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Happy birthday :toot:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

crispix posted:

Jeans shopping if you like straight and boring and comfy jeans is depressingly hard. Even places like marks and spencer and debenhams (RIP) that you would think would have more sense are full of jeans that look painted on unless you have bird legs and no arse

my current favourite pair of everyday jeans came from Sainsbury's and can't have cost much more than a tenner

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Happy birthday Jaeluni! :)

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I used to loving love skinny jeans but I'm not 16 and unhealthily thin anymore

Happy bday comrade

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Huh, for some reason I'd always thought of gammons as being a uniquely English phenomenon, but he sounds Scottish.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

:toot: Happy birthday!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Happy birthday! :toot:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

UK size 12 (US size 8) now was size 16 in the 70s/80s - yes I still have clothes from then. And the variation from store to store and even within a store is huge. You have to try everything on.

And if your bust and waist are a particular size and your hips 3 sizes smaller (as in me) getting jeans or skirts to fit is a complete nightmare. M&S for example design on the principle that every woman has a tiny waist and ginormous hips that are 10 sizes bigger than their waist. If they fit my waist they are like clown balloon trousers round my hips. If I get hips to fit, then I am absolutely strangled round the waist even supposing I can do the wretched things up in the first place. Last time I looked for (desperately needed - I don't buy clothes unless I need to) new jeans earlier this year was impossible - they've all got chopped off legs now. Big tall birds do not suit chopped off jeans.

The joy of my life was clothes shopping in Oslo. Even the most expensive clothes had elasticated waists.

congrats 'rad

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pretty sure that counts as non-essential travel @ 25s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Happy Birthday!