Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much

Dave Inc. posted:

I wonder what maintenance has been performed on the transmission. High mileage PDKs give me the willies. That 9A1 engine is a nice lump, though, for sure.

The 2009s are not so much more money, are they? Definitely better to get a 2009+ instead.

The anecdata is that the PDK wet clutches are good for next to forever and all it needs is fluid changes, but who really knows? AFAIK, there are not aftermarket PDK clutches, which may be a signal there isn't any demand for them.

I'd assume there's probably $3000 dealer / $1200 DIY or so of deferred maintenance (major, engine mounts, maybe even the transmission mount), but if the tires are sound it's a 385hp* track rat with launch control for $25k.

edit: 345hp forgot sport plus was an option on the base

Niacin fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Residency Evil posted:

I need a way to tactfully ask my neighbors if they know anyone over the age of 50-60 with an aircooled 911 and medical comorbidities.

You know, to make sure they're doing ok.
Shocked you didn't bid on this - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-bmw-m3-33/

Probably a bad idea to list a car on BAT that is throwing a bunch of codes.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Russian Bear posted:

There is a price bump, however the biggest problem with 2009s (and the couple years after that) is that there are so few of them. The great recession really did a number on sales.

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/porsche-cayman-sales-figures/

It would be nice to not worry about IMS stuff, but at this point it was as reinforced as it was going to be before they moved away from that design.

Then one day you go to your car and it misfires and rattles on startup because of a bad coil pack and before you know it you're back inside crying and changing your underwear.

LISTEN TO ME I'VE BEEN THERE.

Okay I didn't exactly poop my pants and cry but I called a local indie and was wondering how I'd tell my ex I needed to spend $15k on an engine.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

gvibes posted:

Shocked you didn't bid on this - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-bmw-m3-33/

Probably a bad idea to list a car on BAT that is throwing a bunch of codes.

Any new daily driver/beater needs 4 doors for the dogs. :sigh: saw that though.

And kid next year or two I guess.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I had no idea Goodsmile Racing campaigned a 996 back in 2010.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_U9OlpldZa/?igshid=10sb4vgjdu0fh

With the current price of 996's, it would be real fun to build a replica.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Dave Inc. posted:

Then one day you go to your car and it misfires and rattles on startup because of a bad coil pack and before you know it you're back inside crying and changing your underwear.

LISTEN TO ME I'VE BEEN THERE.

Okay I didn't exactly poop my pants and cry but I called a local indie and was wondering how I'd tell my ex I needed to spend $15k on an engine.

With current world events, prices may depress on the later models anyway and I can't be irresponsible with money now :(. I feel you on the peace of mind re IMS stuff.

Patro
Oct 17, 2003
Hi2u
The child hauler is here after ordering in December! Passenger front seat is just slightly smushed with a rear facing seat in the back. The other side with a regular kid seat has enough room.

Apparently there's now a gas particulate filter that sort of muffles the PSE a little bit hopefully that gets a little louder over time. How many miles should I go before I give up trying to keep it under 3k-4k RPM?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Russian Bear posted:

I feel you on the peace of mind re IMS stuff.

My view on IMS failure is if it happens then it just means the boxster gets a 3.4 from a 996 :getin:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Patro posted:

The child hauler is here after ordering in December! Passenger front seat is just slightly smushed with a rear facing seat in the back. The other side with a regular kid seat has enough room.

Apparently there's now a gas particulate filter that sort of muffles the PSE a little bit hopefully that gets a little louder over time. How many miles should I go before I give up trying to keep it under 3k-4k RPM?

Eh, 1k miles is probably fine.

Rennlist classifieds seem to be getting busier...

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

BigPaddy posted:

My view on IMS failure is if it happens then it just means the boxster gets a 3.4 from a 996 :getin:

Saw a 1st gen Boxster for sale last year not far from me that had a 3.4, and it wasn't outrageously expensive either. A 3.4 still has an IMS tho...

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

If you have the thing out to convert it for a boxster then get the IMS upgrade done and forget about it.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I've watched a few videos on doing an IMS and it doesn't actually seem THAT difficult, a lot easier than say, a headgasket or something. I just don't understand the absolute nonstop chatter about getting it replaced.

Looks like just a few extra steps on a clutch replacement, but maybe the tutorials just make it look easy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Voltage posted:

I've watched a few videos on doing an IMS and it doesn't actually seem THAT difficult, a lot easier than say, a headgasket or something. I just don't understand the absolute nonstop chatter about getting it replaced.

Replacing a clutch is an unimaginable job to most people driving p-cars. And when you're driving an older but not-old-enough-to-be-worth-something p-car, paying someone to do that is worth a significant fraction of the car's value.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Motronic posted:

Replacing a clutch is an unimaginable job to most people driving p-cars. And when you're driving an older but not-old-enough-to-be-worth-something p-car, paying someone to do that is worth a significant fraction of the car's value.

This is absolutely true. I've had every person at the local dealer events I talked to look at me like I had two heads when the subject of doing your own oil and spark plug changes was brought up.

Porsche people get weird with even basic maintenance.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I wouldn’t bother replacing mine at all since it is an earlier 2.5 and has been in there 20 years and 60k miles without any issues. If I get in it this morning and goes pop on my coffee run fine time for a 3.4. It is like the main bearings in a E46 M3, yep there was problems, lawsuits and recalls but if the car is still running now you are probably fine.

On another subject I know Hoovie is a prat but his $6000 996 that only needs $3500 of repairs from the Car Wizard is a pretty good score. I mean he got it using his dealer contacts and paid a low price as it was wholesale and current economic situation but that would be worth a punt.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
There are even more 997s (and a 996 or two) on BAT than usual, but so far reserve is looking to be too high. Trying not to read into this, but I'm wondering if this is private owners beginning to let go, but not being prepared to (or if it's just the usual dealers being dealers on BAT).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm genuinely on the fence with my M96. It runs fine, actually, god drat great, buy noisy on cold start up for 1-2 seconds, as it has for years. If I do the clutch I'd probably do "the solution" on it, but I am toying with the idea of pulling the motor and doing the timing chains, etc, maybe over next winter as a project.

I do somewhat agree though, if a motor on original bearings is fine now, it's "probably" OK.... but I'd be lying if I said it was never in the back of mind.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

blk posted:

There are even more 997s (and a 996 or two) on BAT than usual, but so far reserve is looking to be too high. Trying not to read into this, but I'm wondering if this is private owners beginning to let go, but not being prepared to (or if it's just the usual dealers being dealers on BAT).

Yeah, the floodgates seem to be opening on forums/etc. Listings at least seem to have increased, although asking prices don't seem to have dropped much.

If I actually end up upgrading to a GTS next year I'm probably gonna take a bit of a haircut on my Spyder, like, you know, a used car.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

We're at the "honey, I swear I'm trying to sell it but nobody's buying!" phase. Wait.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I forget, do white gauges on a 997 indicate PASM? I thought they indicated Carrera S, but I'm seeing S cars with black gauges as well.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

All indications are that the stock market has yet to reach its lowest point

Lots of people seem to think the worst is over and things are going to start recovering back to where the market was before

Those same folks will have all sorts of nice cars to sell off soon :)

blk
Dec 19, 2009
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-2007-porsche-911-4s-full/7117004560.html

Found this good driver 997 C4S, called owner immediately, arranged PPI, negotiated price and deposit, about to send the money and....

Get a call back. “Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I was considering selling this car nine months ago and am interested party did a PPI at that time - they found bore scoring.”

I didn’t really like the color anyways. I backed out.

I’m beginning to feel like M96/97 cars just aren’t worth all the loving time and effort to find one with minimal owners, good records, and a clean bill of health. It’s like fixer upper houses, they almost always turn out to be a time and money suck.

Unfortunately I don’t have the $50k and up for a 2009+ car, but I’m wondering if I should drop the idea of a 911 in my future.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Life is short. buy a loving Porsche 911.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
If you can live without the backseats, 997 money buys a nice 981. Yes, EPS isn't as good as the old hydraulic setup, and "it's not a 911" but it the mid-engine cars are arguably the better driving experience.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

they found bore scoring.”

annnnnnd THAT is what I was talking about when I said service history is nice but you don't know what part of it they are omitting, no matter how large a pile you are presented with.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Rakekniven posted:

If you can live without the backseats, 997 money buys a nice 981. Yes, EPS isn't as good as the old hydraulic setup, and "it's not a 911" but it the mid-engine cars are arguably the better driving experience.

The 911 has a real distinct feeling to it that is impossible to replicate. May not be faster around a track, but sometimes it's what you crave. I have the good fortune of having friends who've let me drive theirs, which is a good way to scratch that itch when you own a 987 :)

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Backseat on the 911 at least make them pretty good for 2 person road trips. Will say though, mine handles like poo poo with four cases of wine back there.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Rakekniven posted:

I'm with you. I've had a 981CS and now have a 987 Spyder. Although I love the steering of the 987, the interior quality leaves a lot to be desired versus the 981. Like the 996/986, the 987/997 are getting to an awkward time in their lifespan where they're not quite old enough to feel like fun old cars, but new enough that you kind of expect things like decent bluetooth for connecting your phone for music, and it's not there. The gauges, interior plastics, and switches are also a marked step down versus the 981/991 interiors. Size wise, the 981 also feels right/significantly smaller than the 991.

If you really need to have that rear engine feel, the 997 is the last way to really experience it. The 991s I've driven seem to have really tuned it out, and i'm guessing the 992 is even worse.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Get a 996 turbo. Indestructible powertrain, basically a 997 under the skin. The bigger the non-turbo 996/997.1 engine, the higher chance of bore scoring which will happen eventually regardless of care which limits you to lower miles or more boring engines. You don't hear it as much on the boxster/cayman because they generally used a smaller engine per trim level compared to 911s.

Join usssss

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Is it a weird opinion to think the profile of a 911 is not as good as a Cayman? They almost sorta fixed it in the latest model but as a result made it bigger as well (I think).

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Jymmybob posted:

Get a 996 turbo. Indestructible powertrain, basically a 997 under the skin. The bigger the non-turbo 996/997.1 engine, the higher chance of bore scoring which will happen eventually regardless of care which limits you to lower miles or more boring engines. You don't hear it as much on the boxster/cayman because they generally used a smaller engine per trim level compared to 911s.

Join usssss

Still kicking myself for not buying one when they are cheaper then a new corolla. It didn't last very long. The only ones near me had some meth injection system which made me a little worried or was an auto. Hopefully economic collapse will bring them back down.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The Cayman is a great car but I need a backseat for blk jr (and I don't like slicktops).

996 Turbo is also a great car but I have too many hangups with the styling (not just the headlamps)

I was looking at how expensive 997.2s are, then I found a low mileage, one owner 993 (dream generation) Targa (dream trim) in blue over grey (dream colors) in my neighborhood for cheaper than the modern cars I'm looking at and man is it really ugly when you catch yourself talking about a 72 month financed 993 as an daily driver and you don't even have covered parking.

...it'd be my last gasoline car ever, though, and I do feel better about throwing a chunk of money at a 993 than a 997, depreciation wise...

blk fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 4, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Hey so uh where do you live?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Please do this and then start a thread. 993 are the best looking 911s ever IMO.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
The interior is very dated, but for exterior styling the 993 is when the 911 peaked IMO. Such a gorgeous car.

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
Speaking of well priced 997.2s, if any of y'all have interest in a 09 C4S cab launch edition, 108k, ruby red pdk with hardtop, all records since new, and pilot sport 4s with maybe 1k on them, priced in the low mid 30s, hit me up. It's the perfect midlife crisis mobile, but I'm thinking about trying an aircooled.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Here4DaGangBang posted:

The interior is very dated, but for exterior styling the 993 is when the 911 peaked IMO. Such a gorgeous car.

I rolled my eyes so hard when I learned you couldn't adjust the position of the 993 steering wheel. Such a ridiculous throwback of a car, but so dangerously tempting

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Niacin posted:

Speaking of well priced 997.2s, if any of y'all have interest in a 09 C4S cab launch edition, 108k, ruby red pdk with hardtop, all records since new, and pilot sport 4s with maybe 1k on them, priced in the low mid 30s, hit me up. It's the perfect midlife crisis mobile, but I'm thinking about trying an aircooled.

You should get an Audi 80/90

Someone please get this joke

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Red_Fred posted:

Please do this and then start a thread. 993 are the best looking 911s ever IMO.

I've wanted a 993 ever since the July 1996 Car and Driver had a long term test of an Iris Blue Metallic Carrera. :sigh:

Although to date I've only had their mid engine cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I don’t know much about the air cooled cars because thought they’d be off the table. There are a few gotchas:

When I drive to work on rainy days it’s less than 10 min and definitely less than the time needed to warm up the car.

The Targa top on the 993 is notoriously a PITA and doesn’t open like a hatchback on the rear, as the 996 and 997 do. It doesn’t have a parcel shelf behind the rear seats like those cars do, although the trunk is more useful than the one on the water cooled cars.

I’m not sure about the rear seat size in general and need to get a forward facing car seat back there (switching to booster soon). The car would stop making sense in 6ish years when my kid is around 10 and too tall for the back.

No AWD but I can deal.

It seems more likely to get to 200k-300k miles than a 996 or 997, which seem more disposable, but maintenance also sounds like it’s more frequent and intense. I can do brakes, oil, possibly suspension, but am out of my depth on engine stuff. I hear some rennlist posters recommending you budget $3k/year for 993 maintenance vs the $1k/year I used to see posted for 996s. I’m sure all the plastic and rubber stuff needs to be replaced if it hasn’t already.

I have a driveway with a scratchy tree my landlord won’t cut down. I have a garage at work, but everything else in my life is street parking.

With monthly payments, insurance, and maintenance I’m looking at $10k/year for a car I’d drive maybe 5k miles/year. Yikes.

blk fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 4, 2020