Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Everybody worried about toilet paper hoarding and protecting hand sanitizer from resellers but I need the location of the active dry yeast black market, thanks.

e: lol just read the last couple pages. Who wants to join my gang and hunt for yeast?

Me making pizza like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FiRI_SIGWc

al-azad fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

God, I love being able to cook. I just made a pasta salad for lunch that was so tasty, it made me sad to think about all the poor people stuck in social isolation that cant cook. They only have expensive delivery options or ready meal stuff. Some poor bastard is stuck eating cup noodle for their third meal of the day when for the same money they could probably be eating PASTA SALAD.

So what did you put in it?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I bet it had pasta

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
My sister restaurant has set up a little grocer in the front bar area. They have lots of produce etc, including yeast. If you haven’t already tried getting yeast from an open restaurant or bakery, that’s worth a shot.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

peppadew
mozzarella
kalamata
pepperoncini
shallots
parsley
dijon and garlic aioli with a healthy amount of cayenne

My ideal pasta salad

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I made a salad with the mixed leaves I get from the farm, chickpeas, roasted parsnips, carrots and beetroot, and it was amazing. I had such a bad hangover before I ate it, and now I feel fine.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

God, I love being able to cook. I just made a pasta salad for lunch that was so tasty, it made me sad to think about all the poor people stuck in social isolation that cant cook. They only have expensive delivery options or ready meal stuff. Some poor bastard is stuck eating cup noodle for their third meal of the day when for the same money they could probably be eating PASTA SALAD.

Very much so. I also feel sorry for people who can’t afford the ingredients I can, and for whom preparing/affording enough food of sufficient nutritional value is a real and ongoing source of anxiety.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

therattle posted:

Very much so. I also feel sorry for people who can’t afford the ingredients I can, and for whom preparing/affording enough food of sufficient nutritional value is a real and ongoing source of anxiety.

Same :( Knowing that if I bork something I can cook a dozen other things and/or order takeout gives me the ability to try so much stuff that I would otherwise not even give a chance.

One of the local farms is doing a delivery service that is a total lifesaver; I haven't been to the grocery store in weeks because I can get fresh produce, eggs, chicken, cheese, and bread from them.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hawkperson posted:

chicken, cheese,

:hai:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

therattle posted:

That too. I donated fifty bucks to the local meals on wheels because I was feeling like a sad sack a few days ago, they can do a lot with that.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

al-azad posted:

Everybody worried about toilet paper hoarding and protecting hand sanitizer from resellers but I need the location of the active dry yeast black market, thanks.

e: lol just read the last couple pages. Who wants to join my gang and hunt for yeast?

Me making pizza like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FiRI_SIGWc

I actually have a bunch of dry yeast. PM me if you actually need some

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

That too. I donated fifty bucks to the local meals on wheels because I was feeling like a sad sack a few days ago, they can do a lot with that.

Yep, I’ve been donating to our local food bank.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I actually have a bunch of dry yeast. PM me if you actually need some

Thanks for the offer but this has been a great excuse to actually eat fresh stuff, I'm just bellyaching. Going to try a sourdough starter because sourdough pizza sounds delish.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

You all should keep posting about your charity because I just donated to a local food bank after reading your posts.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Happiness Commando posted:

You all should keep posting about your charity because I just donated to a local food bank after reading your posts.

Hell yeah, charity chat.

I was kinda drunk when I posted that, it's not Meals On Wheels ( I thought about them) but ended up giving to the next town over's food pantry that does delivery now. I would have given to my local, but they don't have an easy way to donate online. Their services overlap though, it's an easy hour walk between the two.

I'll put some money in the local one's jar at the supermarket next time I go shopping.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

al-azad posted:

My local Turkish supermarket has it, imported from somewhere that uses Cyrillic. For £1 ($1.30) per individual sachet. Black market is right.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Charity chat: We just had a restaurant become a World Central Kitchen partner here, hell yeah. They had been giving out free meals to anyone who needs it since the first day they were shut down and are located in a part of the city that's a covid hotspot. They got other local restaurants to donate meals that they collect and hand out too. Someone contacted WCK for them and voila, now they get a bunch of money from them to hand out even more free meals. so yeah donate to WCK, it's that Jose Andres charity that goes to places like Puerto Rico after Maria and feeds millions

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Also charity chat: Feeding America makes it super easy to locate your local food bank and when I set up a monthly donation someone personally called me to say thank you. Totally not needed but drat if it didn’t give me the warm fuzzies.

My local food bank has also set up a home delivery service for people in need that can’t get to the food bank for whatever reason. I signed up to be a volunteer and just gotta sift through the legal docs and I too can go leave groceries on people’s doorsteps.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Hawkperson posted:

My local food bank has also set up a home delivery service for people in need that can’t get to the food bank for whatever reason. I signed up to be a volunteer and just gotta sift through the legal docs and I too can go leave groceries on people’s doorsteps.
The CSA I use is doing something similar. They also added a `donate x dollars worth of food' option to the top of the thing where you can add and remove stuff from your current delivery, which is probably pretty effective since I assume literally everybody using the service is reviewing/changing every order now.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
New Cook Or Die is up. I posted it before May 1st because who cares or even knows what day it is anymore. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921258

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
New thread is up for your amusement:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921271

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

im my damndest to stay home, but if i feel it is necessary to go to the grocery store, i always make a financial contribution to the local food bank as penance. makes me feel less bad about not staying the gently caress at home like i should

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

I wasn't sure where else to post this, but felt I had to share:
The S'more-oa

A campfire toasted Peep in between two Samoa cookies.
https://i.imgur.com/4yGLhoj.jpg

Even in a standard S'more, Peeps are great. My girlfriend turned me on to them. The sugar caramelizes on the outside. It's really the only way I actually eat Peeps.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

nadmonk posted:

I wasn't sure where else to post this, but felt I had to share:
The S'more-oa

A campfire toasted Peep in between two Samoa cookies.
https://i.imgur.com/4yGLhoj.jpg

Even in a standard S'more, Peeps are great. My girlfriend turned me on to them. The sugar caramelizes on the outside. It's really the only way I actually eat Peeps.

Decadent.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Eat This Glob posted:

im my damndest to stay home, but if i feel it is necessary to go to the grocery store, i always make a financial contribution to the local food bank as penance. makes me feel less bad about not staying the gently caress at home like i should

You're doing a good thing, but you don't have to feel guilty about getting groceries.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Speaking of groceries, has anyone ever used webstarauntstore.com? My roommates figured we might go in on a bulk order of flour since the local stores are cleaned out.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

AnonSpore posted:

Speaking of groceries, has anyone ever used webstarauntstore.com? My roommates figured we might go in on a bulk order of flour since the local stores are cleaned out.

Excellent customer service, and solid stuff. Shipping will ream you, so factor that into the cost.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Webrestaurantstore seems comparable to going to a restaurant Depot once you factor in shipping

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Holy gently caress you guys weren't kidding about the shipping

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Worth it, tho, for the three liters of olive oil and 70 co2 chargers.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bloody ghost titty posted:

Worth it, tho, for the three liters of olive oil and 70 co2 chargers.

Shoulda been 70 n2o chargers

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That’s how I social distance

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I can hear those chargers in my head. You know the sound.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Sounds like the parking lot at a Dead show.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm making my first sourdough starter to make bread for the first time. Here's my starter on day 6:

Got really light and foamy today. I think that's a real good sign. Excited.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I've been working on improving my pasta game during quarantine, lately filled ones. Like most basic cooking things, it's way more nuanced, technical, and difficult than people might expect. It's relatively easy to get a sheet of pasta and put stuff in it; it's hard to make it thin enough to be delicate, while still holding the filling. I'm a long way from perfect but showing improvement with every new attempt.

Pierogi-like sauerkraut/pork things with kale pesto and braised red cabbage. They were heavy, and I didn't have a well-shaped sheet so they ended up being cobbled together in whatever way I could manage. Edible, but far from my best main course. The cabbage was loving GREAT, though.

I pressure cooked some beef shanks with soffritto for an hour, then shredded it and mixed with just enough of the reduced stock to make it stick together. Filled ravioli with it, and used the rest of the stock as a base for a highly-reduced tomato/anchovy sauce. While the ravioli were a bit thick and I had some trouble getting the air bubbles out of some of them, I was pleased with the uniformity of my pasta sheet. I need to work on making it slightly thinner (it's probably a little dry, making that more difficult). On the bright side, the sauce was probably the best tomato-based thing I've ever made.

I may have to try my hand at sourdough in a week or two, but right now I've got some asparagus and some Sichuan-style green beans fermenting on my counter, so I'm pretty much out of experimentation space.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

I've been working on improving my pasta game during quarantine, lately filled ones. Like most basic cooking things, it's way more nuanced, technical, and difficult than people might expect. It's relatively easy to get a sheet of pasta and put stuff in it; it's hard to make it thin enough to be delicate, while still holding the filling. I'm a long way from perfect but showing improvement with every new attempt.

Pierogi-like sauerkraut/pork things with kale pesto and braised red cabbage. They were heavy, and I didn't have a well-shaped sheet so they ended up being cobbled together in whatever way I could manage. Edible, but far from my best main course. The cabbage was loving GREAT, though.

I pressure cooked some beef shanks with soffritto for an hour, then shredded it and mixed with just enough of the reduced stock to make it stick together. Filled ravioli with it, and used the rest of the stock as a base for a highly-reduced tomato/anchovy sauce. While the ravioli were a bit thick and I had some trouble getting the air bubbles out of some of them, I was pleased with the uniformity of my pasta sheet. I need to work on making it slightly thinner (it's probably a little dry, making that more difficult). On the bright side, the sauce was probably the best tomato-based thing I've ever made.

I may have to try my hand at sourdough in a week or two, but right now I've got some asparagus and some Sichuan-style green beans fermenting on my counter, so I'm pretty much out of experimentation space.

The beef sounds delicious. Then again, I’ve been locked down with vegetarian wife since March 12, and while I could buy meat I feel bad cooking and eating it while she is around.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I have been shifting to a rare meat situation because my partner was veggie for about 20 years before we met. Don’t mind it much, happy for it to be an occasion meal. Definitely easier to operate without it than my previous mindset of “as a condiment, as an ingredient”. I have a freezer frill of boudin my adopted sister brought back from NOLA last time she visited and still I’m stuffing peppers with rice? What a world.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bloody ghost titty posted:

I have been shifting to a rare meat situation because my partner was veggie for about 20 years before we met. Don’t mind it much, happy for it to be an occasion meal. Definitely easier to operate without it than my previous mindset of “as a condiment, as an ingredient”. I have a freezer frill of boudin my adopted sister brought back from NOLA last time she visited and still I’m stuffing peppers with rice? What a world.

I mean, I was a vegetarian for a long time. And while I thoroughly enjoy all carnal delights, I find that I enjoy meat more if I keep it to only a few times a week. You may enjoy that boudin all the more because you're not eating every day. And in case you don't, I'll pm my address so you can send the rest to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I mean, I was a vegetarian for a long time. And while I thoroughly enjoy all carnal delights, I find that I enjoy meat more if I keep it to only a few times a week. You may enjoy that boudin all the more because you're not eating every day. And in case you don't, I'll pm my address so you can send the rest to me.

It’s true. Meat is now a treat I have every now and again. And if I decide to have meat it had better be worth it.