Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

If Trump were to vanish from the public eye for seven days without an explanation, the media would be fully within its rights to be speculating wildly and demanding answers.

You mean they’ll scold us for prying into the private life of the first family and acting ghoulish with our speculation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Weed grows everywhere in NK.

yea but they no poo poo make a lot of their money by making and selling meth

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/12/world/asia/north-korea-crystal-meth-methamphetamine-drugs-.html

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

C-SPAM is a healthy community.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
https://www.tmz.com/2020/04/25/north-korea-dictator-kim-jong-un-dead-dies-heart-surgery-reports/

tmz is usually correct on death reports

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Really, like the world doesn't need a generational humanitarian crisis right now but lol. This is a hot potato that no one is going to watn to deal with, least of all most south koreas. Unification is incredibly unpopular and the younger generation is at best, mostly apathetic to the NK populace. I wrote some papers and stuff on this like 10 years ago (undergrad and first job outta college) but to be honest the calculus probably hasn't changed much. RIP S.K economy

It'll make the reunification of Germany look like a loving high school project.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
east germany still lags behind west germany despite how many billions were poured into it and I cannot imagine this ending well even at the best of time, let alone during the rona and economic meltdown

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

China will never allow a US-friendly power that allows basing of US forces to share a land border with them, so North Korea will continue to exist as long as the United States does.

Expect Korean unification before 2035.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Waroduce posted:

This is a hot potato that no one is going to watn to deal with, least of all most south koreas.

Tough poo poo. South Korea's reluctance isn't going to make North Korea any more stable or a refugee crisis any less inevitable so I sure hope they've been preparing for it.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Using former East Germany as a model, 30 years after reunification North Korea will be a hotbed of neo-Nazism.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Here's a Reuters report, basically only confirming that the Chinese sent a team of doctors on Thursday.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1254114350542974976?s=19

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, when I was over in Korea, there was a big worry that if SK had to absorb NK that getting them up to speed might permanently cripple SKs economy. As in that their economy would never recover.

There's plenty of articles about how the cultural differences are pretty hard to overcome now, as it turns out living in a dystopian surveillance state kind of makes you a bit weird.

But with trump wanting to hit SK with a big bill for military support that SK doesn't need, it would make for a good chance to boot the US out, have China help with reintegration, and now the US loses soft power and force projection in the region. It'd be a pretty big play for China.

But then again there's a few sisters of Un's that could take the job. It was explained to me that one of them was given some kind of nickname by Il, which I guess makes her some kind of legendary NPC or some poo poo, and she could run with it. It'd be a very wild time since Un knocked off his brothers, who the gently caress knows what'll happen.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

C.M. Kruger posted:

Using former East Germany as a model, 30 years after reunification North Korea will be a hotbed of neo-Nazism.

They've got the meth for it

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

not caring here posted:

It'd be a very wild time since Un knocked off his brothers, who the gently caress knows what'll happen.

Either one of the Kim's take over and its business as usual, or an ambitious general tries to make some power moves and china steps in and tells them to play by the rules or they'll feed them to the western powers and then business as usual

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

not caring here posted:

Yeah, when I was over in Korea, there was a big worry that if SK had to absorb NK that getting them up to speed might permanently cripple SKs economy. As in that their economy would never recover.

There's plenty of articles about how the cultural differences are pretty hard to overcome now, as it turns out living in a dystopian surveillance state kind of makes you a bit weird.

But with trump wanting to hit SK with a big bill for military support that SK doesn't need, it would make for a good chance to boot the US out, have China help with reintegration, and now the US loses soft power and force projection in the region. It'd be a pretty big play for China.

But then again there's a few sisters of Un's that could take the job. It was explained to me that one of them was given some kind of nickname by Il, which I guess makes her some kind of legendary NPC or some poo poo, and she could run with it. It'd be a very wild time since Un knocked off his brothers, who the gently caress knows what'll happen.

Total rear end-pulling, but; I figure someone like that might be nominated the public face, the generals take control and are "aided" by China with some very specific demands about clamping down and preventing the shitshow from leaking anywhere else.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

i really hope im wrong tho, for the sake of the north korean people

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

bird food bathtub posted:

Total rear end-pulling, but; I figure someone like that might be nominated the public face, the generals take control and are "aided" by China with some very specific demands about clamping down and preventing the shitshow from leaking anywhere else.

This was the kind of speculation people made about Un when he took over but instead he killed off a bunch of the generals in flashy executions to cement his position

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What must it be like for someone who escapes NK and sees how the world works outside of that batshit insane dictatorship?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

"it was a fake report done by CNN" enrages me way more than it should at this point.

It pisses me off to no end, but I'm just resigned to the fact that everything Donald Trump wants to go "NUH-UH" to is "fake news" even if it's blatantly obvious it's true.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

What must it be like for someone who escapes NK and sees how the world works outside of that batshit insane dictatorship?

There are some interviews with people who escaped. They are pretty depressing to read.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CBJSprague24 posted:

It pisses me off to no end, but I'm just resigned to the fact that everything Donald Trump wants to go "NUH-UH" to is "fake news" even if it's blatantly obvious it's true.

It's not just him if it makes you feel any better!

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Proud Christian Mom posted:

east germany still lags behind west germany despite how many billions were poured into it and I cannot imagine this ending well even at the best of time, let alone during the rona and economic meltdown

but they have BCG!!!1!1! </cspam>

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Leavemywife posted:

The YouTube channel "Asian Boss" has a bunch of interviews with younger defectors. The ones I've seen have all been pretty interesting. It sounds like they generally know that things are hosed up, but don't always have the information to put their finger on how/why. One mentioned that it's actually pretty easy to get ahold of American movies in NK and it's less dangerous than getting caught with South Korean media.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

has this been covered yet? because lol

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-west-point-graduation-ceremony-2020-commencement-speech-a9484186.html

quote:

Donald Trump has claimed he will speak at the US Military Academy's 2020 commencement ceremony, which could force more than 1,000 cadets to return to campus, which has been closed during the coronavirus pandemic.

quote:

The president said he "assumes" the academy in New York will have "some big distance" in place for the hundreds of cadets in attendance, though he said that he doesn't like "the look" of a socially distanced crowd.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

quote:

The president said he "assumes" the academy in New York will have "some big distance" in place for the hundreds of cadets in attendance, though he said that he doesn't like "the look" of a socially distanced crowd.

Why not? That's the only way to get his typical crowds to cover the acreage he thinks they really do.

Odradek
May 23, 2007

Don't hate me because I'm cute

ManMythLegend posted:

Apparently Hong Kong TV news is reporting KJU is dead. No other confirmation at this point.

Great! I'll start packing my bags in anticipation of my old office tagging me to be part of the WMD-E (WMD Elimination) Task Force! The guys who got to go to Iraq had quite a jolly time. This will be different, as the DPRK actually has WMD.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

wouldn't wait by the phone if I were you, doubt much is gonna change

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

The general gist is that West Point had no idea that they'd have to make the 1,000 cadets travel from wherever they are now back to West Point, but also lol gently caress the cadets.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

The general gist is that West Point had no idea that they'd have to make the 1,000 cadets travel from wherever they are now back to West Point, but also lol gently caress the cadets.

Can't imagine being the DTS person for a service academy

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

Can't imagine being the DTS person for a service academy

im not sure how it works in america, but he probably just contacts course oic's who then disseminate

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Can you imagine how screwed the tailoring shop is gonna be there? It's a decent one but imagine the last-minute alteration poo poo.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

gently caress west pointers anyways

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

gently caress west pointers anyways

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

knock your ring on deez nuts

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Ok which one of you made this??

https://youtu.be/Rr66SLE-18M

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Midjack posted:

There are some interviews with people who escaped. They are pretty depressing to read.

There are also :3: videos of NK refugees eating American food on Youtube that are pretty entertaining and enlightening.

American BBQ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0TYCEXmi90
Thanksgiving: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XOAttqYiXU
Wings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TQ8H5TgRzA

I hope the cadet corps coughs constantly during his speech just to rattle him.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 25, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

EBB posted:

Can you imagine how screwed the tailoring shop is gonna be there? It's a decent one but imagine the last-minute alteration poo poo.

You think it's even open?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

My Spirit Otter posted:

im not sure how it works in america, but he probably just contacts course oic's who then disseminate

DTS is the mediocre-to-nonfunctional travel software that some branches of the US military use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Blind Rasputin posted:

Ok which one of you made this??

https://youtu.be/Rr66SLE-18M

This is hilarious if for nothing other than this is a lot of old MARSOC. Footage

Good song tho