Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

M&S do some nice reasonably smart-looking jogging pants in black and navy, much comfier than jeans and my go-to casual wear in months where it's not warm enough for shorts.

e: 214 is surprisingly short on maths facts. A Phillipine band called Rivermaya do have a song called 214.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Prince John posted:

Huh, for some reason I'd always thought of gammons as being a uniquely English phenomenon, but he sounds Scottish.

Sounded more West Country or maybe Norfolk to me, but come on Rangers FC exist.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

ThomasPaine posted:

I hate the idea of ever having kids (as does my partner), and I don't think my brother wants them either, but my mum and to a lesser extent my dad desperately want the experience of being grandparents, and I feel properly guilty for denying them that even though I know it's absolutely the best decision for me :(

Why?

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sounded more West Country or maybe Norfolk to me, but come on Rangers FC exist.

I thought he sounded a bit Irish. Maybe he's some sorta meta-gammon, a puce monster representing the whole cuntry.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Pretty sure that counts as non-essential travel @ 25s

I don't know, I'd say it was fairly essential.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Paul.Power posted:

M&S do some nice reasonably smart-looking jogging pants in black and navy, much comfier than jeans and my go-to casual wear in months where it's not warm enough for shorts.

e: 214 is surprisingly short on maths facts. A Phillipine band called Rivermaya do have a song called 214.

It's always warm enough for shorts

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

winegums posted:

I thought he sounded a bit Irish. Maybe he's some sorta meta-gammon, a puce monster representing the whole cuntry.

I'm definitely getting some Norn Irish vibes

particularly in the very first "because you are"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
The gammon is from NI. Probably somewhere in North Down - Bangor or Holywood

Mebh
May 10, 2010

StarkingBarfish posted:

Mebh that's a very similar setup to mine. You can get surface protecting lubricants that leave a waxy residue and are good for several months as an aerosol.

Hm having trouble finding something like that for metal. Would this work? https://www.amazon.co.uk/JENOLITE-89005-Prevention-Motorcycle-Protection/dp/B07VNMN1YR

I'll probably keep the weights, bench and the bars in the shed at least. Just the rack outside.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

winegums posted:

Yeah now you say that and I listen again it's pretty blatantly an Irish accent, I assume my detectors got short-circuited by the way he said "You are" sounding like the "Yaaar" that consists of 90% of the syllables out of the mouths of my Cornwall/Somerset relatives.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

Hm having trouble finding something like that for metal. Would this work? https://www.amazon.co.uk/JENOLITE-89005-Prevention-Motorcycle-Protection/dp/B07VNMN1YR

I'll probably keep the weights, bench and the bars in the shed at least. Just the rack outside.

Yeah that'll work, but as with many things in life a much cheaper and easier (although less aesthetic) effect can be had with a thin coating of Vaseline.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You go on any street, and you'll find Irish racists doing for half price what it would cost a foreman to pay a British racist to do. When a British racist complains about immigrants taking all the jobs, this is what they refer to.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

good and helpful cats

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So I walked passed Jeremy Corbyns brother giving a speech in the middle of Glastonbury today. Total loving nutter was trying to spread that bullshit conspiracy about 5G (though he was saying its spread by 3G and 4G too lol) and there were about 40 people crowded around listening with the police just watching.

It was pretty surreal to see after so long in lockdown and social distancing.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Doesn't he also believe global warming is a hoax?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

crispix posted:

Yeah and he attacked Greta Thunberg by posting her with a swastika once too.

I checked out his wiki page and uh, 'Corbyn asserts that earthquakes can be triggered by solar activity, and hence that he can to some extent predict them.' :psyduck:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Maybe he has the right way of it and science should actually be done by picking cause and effect at random from a tombola :science:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

crispix posted:

Maybe he has the right way of it and science should actually be done by picking cause and effect at random from a tombola :science:

Ah, The Cummings Method

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

cos I don't want to, op

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Happy Birthday Jaeluni

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

Climate change is caused by 2G but they're starting to switch that off.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Happy Birthday Jaeluni!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Walking home and there are a ton of police out and about, I presume looking for people doing a non essential travel.

Also the great thing about being an uncle is waiting till they start speaking then holding up a banana and telling them it's an orange.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Happy birthday Jaeluni!!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

OwlFancier posted:

Long shirts are a nightmare yeah, short leg long body. Another reason I'm glad I don't work in an office because lol if I can find a shirt that will stay tucked in for more than 10 minutes.

https://www.trendhim.co.uk/2-pack-b...WRoC_RQQAvD_BwE

You can get these on eBay for like £5 and they work

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've noticed that after 5 or 5 weeks of lockdown (I've lost track of time), people have started to confuse the original intention of 'flattening the curve' with 'avoiding catching the virus altogether'.

It was always inevitable that most people would get the virus at some point: the idea of lockdown was to make sure the country's medical services didn't become overwhelmed. The good news is: we've achieved that: icu beds are below capacity, A&E depts are significantly less busy than usual and the emergency hospitals that have been built have gone practically unused. Great! Now we need to gradually ease the lockdown and return to the best approximation of 'normal' that we can.

I mean, what else are we supposed to do: sit in our rooms and carry on doing nothing for the next 18 months?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Jeanschat: Still wearing the same pair of Diesel jeans I bought somewhere around 2010, when I met my now-wife.

(I met her when I had a 36in waist and I still have a 36in waist, despite all the takeaways and basically driving a forklift around all day as a job for about half that time.)

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Pistol_Pete posted:

Now we need to gradually ease the lockdown and return to the best approximation of 'normal' that we can.

Look at the drat curve and think about how many infected people there are right now that you want to 'ease' into the community.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I mean, what else are we supposed to do: sit in our rooms and carry on doing nothing for the next 18 months?

so no change for the average goon?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've noticed that after 5 or 5 weeks of lockdown (I've lost track of time), people have started to confuse the original intention of 'flattening the curve' with 'avoiding catching the virus altogether'.

It was always inevitable that most people would get the virus at some point: the idea of lockdown was to make sure the country's medical services didn't become overwhelmed. The good news is: we've achieved that: icu beds are below capacity, A&E depts are significantly less busy than usual and the emergency hospitals that have been built have gone practically unused. Great! Now we need to gradually ease the lockdown and return to the best approximation of 'normal' that we can.

The issue is that based on current rate of infection if we eased now there would be immediate exponential growth in cases. We're still not at the point where if we ease the lockdown then cases will hold steady, and really the government needs to get testing and tracking up to capacity before a steady number of cases becomes possible.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Given that Transport for London are going to furlough a whole bunch of staff and scale back services even further, anything that gets people back on the tube en masse is going to be a complete shitshow of massively overcrowded conditions, which will lead to a spike in infection rates.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nephthys posted:

Yeah and he attacked Greta Thunberg by posting her with a swastika once too.

I checked out his wiki page and uh, 'Corbyn asserts that earthquakes can be triggered by solar activity, and hence that he can to some extent predict them.' :psyduck:

So you're saying that the corbyn brothers were a product of the les enfants politique project and that jeremy got all the good genes while the other one is the liquid snake of politics?

Oh and congratulations Jaeluni.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The issue is that based on current rate of infection if we eased now there would be immediate exponential growth in cases. We're still not at the point where if we ease the lockdown then cases will hold steady, and really the government needs to get testing and tracking up to capacity before a steady number of cases becomes possible.

"Ease" is an important word there - keeping up social distancing, encouraging/enforcing mask use on public transport and other essential areas where distancing is impossible, and keeping pubs, sporting events, large shopping centres, and other non-essential places where distancing is impossible closed should, hopefully, keep the infection rate static or slightly falling.

However I don't think that we should be doing even that until test-and-trace is properly up and running because that sort of phased stepping down is only possible either we know that the infection rate is comfortably within the capacity of testing or - more likely - when ICU occupancy is down to mid-March levels (so we have spare capacity if the infection rate goes positive quicker than expected), because we have no actual idea what the infection rate is right now and whatever it is, it *is* going to increase when we ease lockdown, so we need to know if it's going to go above 1.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

Given that Transport for London are going to furlough a whole bunch of staff and scale back services even further, anything that gets people back on the tube en masse is going to be a complete shitshow of massively overcrowded conditions, which will lead to a spike in infection rates.

They're furloughed rather than off sick though, so can be recalled as needed.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They're furloughed rather than off sick though, so can be recalled as needed.

Yeah, but they're being furloughed because TfL has completely run out of money.
I can't imagine the Tories doing anything about that in a hurry

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/josephmdurso/status/1254144179913003010

Love the integrity and editorial neutrality of our TV news media.

She used to work for The Guardian lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

Yeah, but they're being furloughed because TfL has completely run out of money.
I can't imagine the Tories doing anything about that in a hurry

That was more than a bit overstated by TfL - they still have £500m in cash reserves (and the GLA has £4bn), and that's not even getting into the capex savings they've made by scaling back Crossrail (and the even bigger savings they've made by suspending the while project). And even the Tories know baling out Virgin but letting TfL fail would be disastrous for them in (Tory) outer boroughs - the expansion of TfL to include suburban rail under the Overground banner was one of Johnson's signature policies as Mayor and even his memory isn't that short.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

peanut- posted:

https://twitter.com/josephmdurso/status/1254144179913003010

Love the integrity and editorial neutrality of our TV news media.

She used to work for The Guardian lol

She was in my class at secondary school. Always seemed nice and fairly normal. I suspect that didn’t survive life on the journo circuit.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Beefeater1980 posted:

She was in my class at secondary school. Always seemed nice and fairly normal. I suspect that didn’t survive life on the journo circuit.

https://twitter.com/teessidedazza/status/1254156307206156292

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

OwlFancier posted:

So you're saying that the corbyn brothers were a product of the les enfants politique project and that jeremy got all the good genes while the other one is the liquid snake of politics?

Oh and congratulations Jaeluni.
Solid Snake got the recessive genes, Liquid just thought he did :eng101:

But otherwise yes.

Belated happy birthday Jaeluni!